Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chortle, after having had numerous sport injuries over the years I seem to do the errrrr tensing of muscles all the time, it was noticed when I did a wine talk.to an audience of all lady drs. But that is another tale.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Suzette
Make sure your room doesn't have an ounce of light anywhere. Even an alarm clock light can lower the production of melatonin in the body, especially if the light is green or white. Red lighting does not have as much of an effect on melatonin like a green or white light does.
 
Am clenching in fact I have clenched a lot today. @Legin why were you clenching your muscles when talking to lady drs about wine? Assume it was your bottom , do you do one side at a time so it goes up and down? Do you clench without thinking?? Just wondered:giggle:
 
@Legin... I want to hear the rest of that tale!!! And yes, sounds like they weren't listening to your talk but checking out your cute toosh!!!! ;)


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Week 10 quick update and I will so try not to write an essay . So last week worked 7.5 hours spread over 3 days. I found it hard trying to keep on track and focused.

This week I am doing 5 hours 11 to 4pm for 3 days starting today, Monday, then Wednesday and Friday. I am still finding it difficult to focus for more than 3 hours. Also had to keep standing up and changing office chairs at least every hour.

Other than wanting to lie down and not look at emails etc, it wasn't too bad but was very happy to get home again. Funny Though I suddenly became hyperactive again!!

I have upped my dog walking and it does seem to be helping. In fact I had a pain level of 0, nil, nothing.....until I lay down on my side when I went to bed. I am just going to have to accept I can't lie on my side properly just yet.

Tomorrow I have chiropractor and more acupuncture. Now I don't know if this is the walking or the chiropractor/ accupuncture or just moving forward. BUT tonight I just experienced ZERO pain in my right hip the firsf time for 10 weeks. Even if it was zero pain for just 20 mins, how about that. I actually did not even notice I hadn't any pain, until I realised I had been kneeling on the floor and had just stood up. painless.

maybe it is I am managing the pain meds in a more appropriate fashion and taking what I feel I need through out the day, with much more flexibility

I hope I have not just tempted fate saying that out loud.

I have to tell you all this though, I was practising my my heel toe walking on the dog walk, when I had the most excruciating pop and pain in my big right toe and ball of foot. I couldn't put any weight on it or walk back home properly. Seriously hurt it did. The pain during the night woke me up, my hip didn't wake me up, my big toe did!!!

I actually think I dislocated something in there, or a ligament moved and got stuck or something. Decided to strap the toes together, but I felt like I needed to crack the toe back into place....erm I then did crack the toe back into place by accident, a very loud crack was heard by everyone. Tralaaah pain stopped immediately. Imagine going to work on crutches because my big toe wouldn't walk.....they would not have believed me...

Moral if the story, try not to bend your big toe and ball joint into a 90 degree position whilst trying walk properly, it hurts when it pops....

good night all tomorrow is a new day. Good luck @lalo

xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette
Great minds think alike? Lol!
I'm still hanging in there and vacillate hourly why I should move forward with surgery and why I should wait.
Still moving forward so far...I'll update on "My Journey in finding the right surgeon" thread.

Great news that you experienced a pain free moment in time! A glimpse of what's to come in your near future. What's with the toe thing? Our bodies sure are crazy at times in our older age! ;-)
 
Thank you Cynthia and Suzette. My own thread seems intimidating. This is the first time I joined a chat thingy.

Cynthia, my advice to people who are thinking about having THR and/or seem to have no other choice is do it sooner than later. The longer we wait the more damage to the rest of our body and I think the harder and maybe even longer the recovery. And yes you are so smart to research and find the right surgeon. When I first met the surgeon I chose I knew right away that he was the one. He explained things so clearly and answered all my questions. I could tell he was a perfectionist and in a surgeon that is what I wanted. I then checked him out on the Internet and spoke to people in my area who had surgeries with him. I will try to check out your thread. Suzette's thread is the only one I have followed, since I found bone smart a couple of weeks ago. She had her surgery 8 days before me and I have been able to relate to so much of her journey and many of other hipsters comments and advice has helped.
 
Oooo Suzette zero pain that certainly is a megga benchmark I would have done a lap of honour, errrr I have done when hitting benchmarks. The toe thingamabob, if you think like chiropractor s do the whole body movement is in a line from top to bottom and often when one bit in the line is off the other parts become affected. Its also why when we do warm up stretches we often start at the top and work down the way.
Hello @MaryJane this process follows no linear plan for all and many things I have seen re don't overdo it are so right. I have other issues but I often have presented my self with a whole load of pain by overdoing it. Getting your own thread is a must as it allows people to find you and also let's you have your own story in one place and not mixed up in others. Hang in there, it does take a while to get there and we are all different don't compare yourself to others and their recovery. Sheeesh who would compare themselves to me and my zero thinking. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin well when I announced I had no pain in my right leg, my son immediately said..' ...Mother, (as they do) don't you dare start swinging your leg about just cuz it doesn't hurt at this moment!!....' I mean as if I would do that!! I did actually ...still good this morning, not good when I lie on my hips, which I still keep doing in my sleep even with a big bolster pillow there !! was a bit disappointed on the drive to chiropractor lady... I seriously need to get a seating position sorted out, as the burn started from the top of the leg down to my knee. Mmmm, not quite sure how to remedy that in a car, my hips do not like to sit in the 90 degree position, they prefer a sloped from hip down to knee at about 45 degrees.

Chiropractor...more acupuncture in more areas down the leg and bottom area, asked exactly what these needles do, she said she was following the western medical treatment, so slightly different to Chinese traditional way. They stimulate nerves and blood flow. Funny sensations going on in there, no stingy bits this time either. Funny thing is, I will always try out alternative treatment and keep a very open mind, but I do actually think this is working. On top of having some VERY deep tissue massage, oooh she hit a few spots!!

She also rearranged my cricked neck and said that my toe was from being more aware of what I was doing and then proceeding to over do the heel toe walk.....out of line and got a bit of bone and ligament stuck, so the crack was it unsticking itself !! so you are right with the top to bottom alignment.

@Cynthia777 I think @Mary Jayne is correct when she says that the longer you leave it, the more damage you will do to the rest of your body trying to compensate for the bad hip. I hope you are able to decide soon, I feel you are ready for it mentally, and know we are all there for you afterwards, and I will go and check out your thread to catch up.

@Mary Jayne keep posting on here and when the moderators come along they can help you set up. I had never been on one of these forum type things either, I don't even go on Faceache sorry facebook. So it was a little daunting to start with, but then everyone comes along and chips in and makes things feel so much better, in the sense that somewhere amongst us one or more will have had the exact same pain or feelings as you and then you know sooner or later, there is a light at the end of what seems to start off as...a very long tunnel!!

Don't over do that PT I really think it can hurt you more than just resting and icing for a while until things settle.

@Jaycey hope you are well, are you able to help Mary jayne out? thanking you x

OOOH just found Mary Jaynes thread, and messages have been moved, that's great x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo suzzz does the can can. Seating is the oooer that smarts of this process. I did the tilted pose leaning more on the other cheek so to speak. It does go as the flutes improve.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh good so if I can get my flutes back it will help with the sitting. Its really quite painful especially as thats what you have to do in an office! Booo x x

Just decided...cant do the can can just the leg swing. ..
 
Ooooooops sorry I did a Lego (typo), also apologies to @zauberflote...... Not doing very well am I.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well, what a couple of days. Went for 2nd deep massage, and acupuncture, hurt a bit but was fine after. Off to bed, decided I wasn't going to take the sleeping pill....spent most of night awake and restless and also had a lot of thigh pain, I also had an upset tummy. Now I know deep tissue massage can releases toxins that can upset the tummy, or it just could have been a coincidence.
I had to phone in sick, even though I am still officially off sick, that went down like a ton of bricks with the boss!
Last night I took the tablet and slept for 7 hours and had no pain. I think that is because I must be unconscious! !
Had a great pain free day, unless I sit on the office chair. I also know It hurts side lying and I cant stop doing it, at least once unconscious I don't notice, in fact I don't move about much either.
I have just had half a tablet, it gives a bitter taste in the mouth, which is nasty, but at least the sleep comes along and I don't fidget.
I now have to keep that mentality of not over doing it because the pain has literally near on disapeared, just like that.....
All I need now is to get those muscles back, apparently weak muscles ache, not good, but at least it's not the deep throb and burn I had upto a week a go . Oh I do hope it's not just a trick and it will come back again ...
 
It will as you say takes time. Glutes are the worst to get back mine had deteriorated due to pre opp walk, (Charlie Chaplin with attitude). It does get there. Don't worry too much about boss he will get over it. Better you have a small time off than try to persevere and be off for longer.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
A bit of info for the Brits on sick leave , or is it fit for work now.

@AndyH99 not sure if you will find this useful when you return or whether you all ok

@Jaycey and @Josephine I am not sure if you have seen this, but I feel it may be useful for those returning to work and getting help and advice with the phased return etc. If someone has been sick for more than 4 weeks

It is a government website for employees, employers and GP'S. Basically a GP or employer can request a quick referral to a occupational therapist that will advise on fitness for work.

here is the website and it has some great info on here and a number to call for help

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fit-for-work-guidance

a snipet below..

Fit for Work is free and helps employees stay in or return to work. It provides an occupational health assessment and general health and work advice to employees, employers and GPs.

Fit for Work will complement, and not replace, existing occupational health services provided by employers. It will fill the gap in support that currently exists and will especially benefit those employers who currently have limited in-house occupational health services.

In England and Wales, all GPs can now refer patients to the Fit for Work service. Employers will be able to refer employees to the service from autumn 2015.

In Scotland, GPs can now refer patients to the service using the guidance on the Fit for Work Scotland website. Employers will to be able to refer employees to the service by the end of summer 2015.


This is handy for me as there are only 10 people in the company I work in and there is no occi health. I am constantly being told 'you look normal and have no sign you had both hips done...' whereas in side I am exhausted. I also still take some meds that are possibly contra indicated with driving. As yet I have had no return to work meeting and have not been able to discuss pain meds, sleeping pills and long distant driving, standing or sitting for long periods. I am beginning to think this new service will be useful to give advise all round, with out bias, I hope.

I personally feel under pressure at work to be normal and pick up where I literally left off nearly 3 months ago, whereas I am having to remind, relearn the job and what has been going on since I have been gone when no one is filling me in with knowledge I need. Very frustrating and with no support at all

hope this is useful for some hippies out there in the UK
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one lass. The govt doesn't like to advertise these things. In my case stat sick pay ended and I am in ESA the person in job centre let it slip I could work up to 16 hours or earn 104 pounds a week and keep the benefit. People so need what is in effect a advocate style of support.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Suzette Cheers, I'm probably one of the lucky ones where my employer fully buys into the people first thing and has their own occu health team, I actually saw mine before I went in for the op to ensure the care and environment would be suitable for after the op. I would highly recommend using the service you have mentioned though, not only for yourself but for your boss as well if they are amenable.

Personally I've run some very large teams over the years and had the experience first hand of dealing with challenging situations such as ours and I always appreciated the additional support and help.

Good luck and keep us posted.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom