Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Suzette wow you look great but feel tired, depressed and stressed out. Just think how fantastic you will look when all the duckies are in order!! It cracks me up you have accidentally won numerous pedometer auctions :^) I hope you are not up reading this right now! Zzzzz
 
@Suzette
I wish I had read your post earlier to prepare you for your "visitor"! I would have told you that the minute you felt tired to simply lie down and politely keep on talking! So glad your boss is understanding about returning to work.
I am at week 12 this week and have returned for a short intervals this week and next. I will post details on my thread.
Keep resting! You are doing great at only week 6!
 
OMG I thought I was going potty! I must have woken up read your post clicked like etc and went back to sleep. Then I wasn't sure if I had imagined what I had read and where I had read it!:rofsign:

I was asleep @donor when you wrote, as instead of taking gabapentin in one go , I split the dose up from 6 pm and fell asleep at 1 am ish without noticing I was asleep, trouble is I must have woken up grabbed the tablet thing read posts and went back to sleep. That proved it worked and must be how I accidently won 2 pedometers. I had forgotten I had put a bid on 2....now I keep comparing steps..have decided the fitbit is actuality more accurate.

I can't wait till all my duckies are in order:snork:

@Sullivand I followed your advice, although again, I had trouble knowing where this advice came from, and when an old school friend ( well we're not that old really..) came round with cakes and flap jacks, I lounged on the chair when the hip throb started...didn't work, 3 hours later..... she was the same at school 40 yrs ago, I mean 10 years ago...still the flap jacks were very nice:happydance:

It would be good to know how your return goes especially as a teacher a d potentially standing loads.

I am in elevated position and about to ice the right hip it's stinging now, so a sign to do nothing plus the lads will be home soon. Lads as in 27 and 29 yrs..they left and moved back in when things went wrong with females, not sure how long they are both here for though, it is funny having them back again.

Love to you both x x
 
@Cynthia777 I seem to be watching loads of these programmes and yes, the voice does make the drowsiness kick in. I like dr G too. I dont tend to nod of when she talks though!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get your pain site references. Why did you put up the knee grid when you've have THRs? Is tis how oyur pain looks?

[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery


Doesn't matter which side I lie on either, and I have bottom ache
What kind off approach did you have? Was it a posterior? See here for explanations of approaches
THR approaches or incisions

You might also check this out to see if it matches your symptoms. Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!
 
Hi
Sorry I didnt mention approach as on signature and thread title, bilateral anterior approach.

I used the grids you sent me before, on my page 10, so those are the ones I used, but they do not go as far as ankles. I assumed they were THR grids as they were the ones I already had, didn't know one was for knees.

nerve pain starting at the DR1F to DRF2 right down to ankle. Sometimes it's just from DR1F TO DRF1, down outside of thigh. It keeps moving, but the burn/cramp at DR1F does not move

So the pain travels from top of outside hip, as per hip grid, which is DR1F, which I think you have marked with a red dot on your grid above. But DR1F is the grid ref for the top of the hip, not the knee.

Then the pain travels down to DRF1,it moves across to DRF2, which are the grid ref for the knee and where you show on your grid as blue dots, then it goes down inner calf to my ankle. I couldn't put ankle ref on, as not on the grid.

I hope this clearer, there a lot of DR** references which is confusing. So basically, top outside of hip to knee, across the knee and down inside calf to inside ankle. Made worse if accidently sleeping on either of my sides. Which I am trying not to do.

I did wonder about both a bursitis pain and also the piriformis pain, but wasn't sure if the pains I have were normal post op pain and/or me walking too much. The nerve pain doesn't semi to follow the same path as the piriformis nerve pain.

I have cut down walking and pillows to stop me lying on my sides in my sleep
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have listed different numbers against each of the grid references in my message though, E.G

One has DRF1 on the knee/leg grid. The other is DR1F on the hip grid. These are the correct grid ref I am referring to above, did I do it wrong ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am such a do-do! I completely missed you were referring to both charts!

So this is the pain area? Does the pain actually rung from the hip all the way down to the knee from red to blue?

[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery


Both are ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues
 
Hi , sorry for the confusion.

Yes those are the places. So, on the hip chart where the blue dot marker is, the dull pain is there all the time, like a pulsing throb. Sometimes it stings, it hurts to touch that blue dot area, which feels bony underneath but doesn't seem to be puffy, just hard ish.

Then the pain/throb can travel down to the red dot marker on the knee, and that part of the thigh, between the blue and the red dot, is a bit tender when I touch it. Only on the right hip though.

If I accidently lie on my side at night, the pain feels like a throb or cramp on the blue dot, and a hot nerve pain starts on the blue dot and runs down to the red dot on the knee, then moves across the knee, and then down the inside of the calf to my ankle. This happens only if I accidently lie on my side. I am trying really hard not to lie on my sides!!
When the pain wakes me up, the blue dot on the hip is actually really really painful and I have trouble moving my leg as it feels like a cramp right in the hip and it feels like it includes my bottom cheek.

It's not that bursitis, is it??

Thanks very much for your advice, it really is appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Suzette alias "sleepless in England". Hope you can sort out what your pain is so that you can decide what to do about it. Not fun. Look after yourself x
 
Hi @copsham, that's funny I just posted on your thread!!

I am feeling a little drowsy, so maybe I will sleep before 3am, I have ice pack on hip, thinking, mmmm..I think I need to cut down the walking about and being hyper active, although this hyperactivity doesn't make me sleep.

Are you still 'sleepless in England' too? x
 
@Suzette
Your pain is familiar to me as we had the same exact procedures, you 9 days earlier than me.

The first (free) PT guys had me do ridiculous strengthening things that hurt me and caused swelling, so I quit after 2x and went to the best guy in town. I actually cancelled my free PT and opted to go to this guy and pay for it out of pocket - he's that good - because I had that pain, right hip, outer section, down to inner and outer knee...but not to ankle.

At my 1st PT session with him, he did a full eval...never does *any* strengthening (like every other PT does, stupidly) until he makes sure the underlying structure is correctly placed and balanced.

I came limping in at week 2 and he said, "Lie down over there and let's have a look".
He checked my leg lengths and pelvic/sacrum rotation. Turns out my sacrum was slightly rotated, and the other PT guys were working the muscles which were fighting that rotation...wrongly.
He simply adjusted it (not like a chiropractor, but like a D.O. would do...correctly and one time) and got it in alignment, rotation, and length. One time. I got up off his table and walked with no limp for the first time since surgery. Onward and upward ever since.

i tell you that only to encourage you to get a *great* PT person to evaluate your structure and rotations..and *then* keep working what needs to be worked.
You could have a simple structural "out of whack"ness that's keeping you in that pain.
***Maybe***

It's worth a look by a pro if you can find one who's good at that (most are not).

Hope something works...you have to be getting annoyed by that by now, right?
 
Hi @Dashinghippie thanks for your message, I will certainly go in search of PT or maybe a chiropractor. I will do some research tomorrow. I am in the duracell rabbit can't stop mode again, only this time I am throwing everything out that have been meaning to do for ages. I am just very aware of my thighs and that, oh oh, hope it's not bursitis feeling...so have ice on that right hip again.

tomorrow I will sit still and rest a bit, I have approx 3 weeks left before work, that's if my GP agreed to do another 'sick note' I do feel loads better and more normal, except for the right hip throb and not being able to sleep at 'normal' times !

I will pop over to your thread now
x
 
So, on the hip chart where the blue dot marker is, the dull pain is there all the time, like a pulsing throb. Sometimes it stings, it hurts to touch that blue dot area, which feels bony underneath but doesn't seem to be puffy, just hard ish.
What you have said is a very accurate description of Trochanteric bursitis. If you look at the illustrations in that article and the one I gave you previously on IT band issues, you will see that the trochanteric bursa is part of the structure of the IT band. This means that inflammation in any part is likely to stretch the entire length of it.

There are two methods of treatment:
1. for the bursa, see if you can get your GP to give you a cortisone injection. It's superficial, easy to hit and it works! If your GP won't then you'll have to go back to your surgeons and see if he will. This won't affect your replacements at all as it's too superficial.
2. for the IT band, go see a chiropractor. They are very good at doing deep Acupressure massage. You can try it yourself but a therapist will do it more effectively. You will most likely need 2 or 3 sessions before it settles down.
 
Hi Josephine, I thought you would mention both those things, as I was reading the articles last night and also some of the other threads, I realised then, what the possibilities were.

I will contact my GP on Monday and see if they will do the injection. I know they do practice steroid injections there in minor surgery clinics.

I have private work insurance that will cover chiropractors, so if I can't see one under the NHS, I can take the other route.

Thank you very much. I will behave myself and rest and ice more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom