Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
woke this morning to mouth ulcers and a boil
This is skin related and I would not worry about it. Let's see what Jo advises.
I feel for the first time; after 2 days of normal ish pre op activity; a complete total energy drain
Totally normal and all a part of this recovery. This was in your list posted earlier but here it is again Energy drain for THRs. Don't fight it - just sleep when you can.
 
Thanks jaycey, the energy drain is weird the way it just hits you like a hammer! Was reading the energy drain thing just before you replied, as I had both hips done am surprised it didn't come sooner...but gosh it knocks you back, so am still in bed relaxing and will sleep soon.

Will see what jo says about my face, thanks again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I go like gangbusters, or the energizer bunny...
and then at random, I feel like a wet dishrag and have to rest...seems like every few days I get hit with that energy drain.

I just told my wife about one yesterday afternoon...so she tried to beat me at 'big boggle' while my head was dropping towards the kitchen table to sleep in the middle of the game.
;)
It didn't work for her.
 
Hi @Suzette just catching up and I notice that you have had a bilateral by the anterior approach and that you live in the UK.There can't be many places over here that do these but of course both techniques are common place in the U.S.Most of us are offered the posterior only with all the restrictions which make the post op period difficult.I would think that having a bilateral is a bit like having twins instead of a single baby ie.harder and more exhausting in the beginning but worth it once you are recovered you don't need the second one done.Your sleep problems are adding to your energy drain so I hope that improves soon for you.
 
"I havent done any physio either, ( am nearly 6 weeks post op) after reading about the potential problems, plus it hurt...but that's a personal choice, all I did was walk around the house and laid down a lot :snork: with a flask of tea at the ready."

Just read your comment on another thread and thought how this applies to me as well! Hope you are managing to sleep more.
 
May be a daft question, as think I know I should go to Dr to get antibiotics. But is this sort of thing, boils, something a new hippy should be aware of re infection in hip?
Not in the least. Read this Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
I am not diabetic, although my 'sugars' levels went up to 14 a couple of days after op, whilst in hosp
It does that for everybody. All part of the healing process.
 
Hi @forestje I still can't sleep and my word today, it caught up with me. I felt moody and exhausted so locked my away from everyone, and got some sleep. Are you sleeping ok?

I am glad I have just walked, Now I am going to try and get a bit of the muscle tone back, really really carefully which will involve more cups of tea and possibly, lying down !! Dreading work as will have to stay awake....
 
@Kim22 I like that analogy. Good way to think of it.

It seems that a few more anterior ops are being done now, although there is still only the one surgeon at the hospital I went to, all the others do Posterior. It was only luck that the spinal surgeon I was under, referred me internally to the only hip surgeon that does it , he is training some new surgeons now too.

I am glad that I had both done together, even if it has been a little tricky at times, because as you say, it gets the recovery out the way in one go, I just need to get the sleep sorted now. ....

@Dashinghippie yes...The energiser bunnies, I think my other half was hoping the batteries went flat...they did today...think he was a bit relieved! !
 
Hi all you lovely people, I am sure I have read about this somewhere but I can't find it again.
So I have a question:)
Does anyone experience a real nasty sort of cramping/burn in the hip area on the out side of the thigh. I some how manage to wake up lying on my side, and ooooh it is really painful, it also seems to cause a sciatica/nerve pain right down front of thigh to the inside side of the knee, calf and ankle .

Doesn't matter which side I lie on either, and I have bottom ache. Am not sure if this just my muscles coming back and aching or bursitis.
Thanks xx ps I did ask hosp physician about bursitis but she took no notice. ..Oh my right side on DR1F hurts going up stairs on it, so I dont ...

DR1F is where the cramping is (more like , nearer the line on diagram between c and d)
[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery


and nerve pain starting at the DR1F to DRF2 right down to ankle. Sometimes it's just from DR1F TO DRF1, down outside of thigh. It keeps moving, but the burn/cramp at DR1F does not move
[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery


@Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear managed 3 hours sleep,. :bored: managed to stay on my back using pillows.

My boss is coming to see me today for a cup of coffee. Haven't seen any work collegues for just over 6 weeks now. It worries me slightly as it's not easy to see exhaustion/insomnia/energy drain/ constipation/no appetite and pain deep inside the hips and the funny throbbing, especially sitting in an office chair position .

I also walk pretty well, (I think) without sticks in the house, no limping. I look like I am as fit as a fiddle on the outside, so I am not sure what she will think after seeing me today and the fact I have just told her I am having another 2 weeks off sick ...but basically, I look ok.

Oh Well will see how it goes x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette I am hanging in....not sleepy here either. You must let us know how the boss visit was. ;) I bet you look great.
 
Hi it's nearly 6 am here now, is it about 10 or 11 pm where you live? I even took meds to keep me asleep, they didn't work.

I don't want to look great though , that sounds mad as it shouldn't be on the way you look...I think she will think I am skiving work, I could do some work at home, I will see what she thinks, at least that way it will occupy by brain and I can keep stopping and starting when it suits me.

I feel drowsy again now, maybe I can squeeze another hour in...

will let you know how things go x x
 
Perhaps share this article from our Library with your boss Phased return to work. The recommended time off post THR is 10-12 weeks and then a phase return. You have had 2 THRs. You are not faking illness - please don't feel pressured to return to work so soon. It will only set your recovery back!
 
Hi all,
Its now 6 weeks 1 day and my boss and my collegue came round to see me and both said how well I looked and how great my walking was etc, they thought I was going to look desolate, depressed, crippled and rough.... mmm.

My hips felt uncomfortable after sitting with them for 10 mins, but you can't see that on the outside, other than me fidgeting about. I am really thinking the right hip has bursitis, as I realised the pain is there when walking too, so should I get that checked out, or could it just be the muscles working, after a while of not doing much??

I said I could try working from home, but she said no. So I am just going to stop being paranoid and accept the fact I am not being pressured to do anything now I have actually had the hips done. I felt as if I was just before I went into hospital.

So I will see how things progress over the coming weeks and use the phased return to work, thanks @Jaycey. .

I am tired again!!!! XX
 
My hips felt uncomfortable after sitting with them for 10 mins
Sitting for any length of time is a challenge most hippies face. You have 2 new hips - this is bound to take awhile to resolve. Ice when you can.
the pain is there when walking too
Cut the walks in half and see if this settles. Muscles and soft tissues will complain. See if rest eases this. Don't forget - it's a marathon not a sprint.
So I am just going to stop being paranoid and accept the fact I am not being pressured to do anything now
Well done! It is stressful enough recovering. You don't need the added stress of work worry right now. Focus on those shiny new hips. Everything else will fall into place!
 
So glad that you are not pressured or feeling pressured in to work. It is a big deal and you are still such a newbie just 6 weeks out!! You have got the pain to sort out, the sleep to sort out, as well as everything else connected to TWO hips. It is a strange thing how you can look so much better even if you are feeling only 50%. How deceptive is that! Hopefully our paths with not cross at 2am tonight!
 
Hi @Jaycey, thanks x x I will cut the walking down. I am checking my steps on the numerous pedometers I accidently won on ebay and average about 3200 ish, not on purpose and just in the house, am not actually sure what I am doing, although I do actually forget what I am doing a lot if the time, so keep getting up and down. I will aim to not do more than 2000 and see if that hip pain eases, if it doesn't will rest more and do less.

Hi @copsham oh thank you, I keep forgetting it's only 6 weeks and the last 6 weeks feels like 6 months, there has just been so many downs then ups then downs, up, down.....and a lot of 2 am in the mornings....so yes, we may well cross paths in the early hours...tonight :tiredwheel: It funny too, after having visitors for an hour I felt drained, I had read on other threads about this, and it's true!

I will pop over to your thread x x
 
@Suzette
I went back and read some of your earlier posts and really got a kick out of you watching those crime programs to fall asleep. I, too, watch those to fall asleep! Some work better than others, depending on the narrators voice! Lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom