Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Suzette I'm posting at 251am. Sleepless in CA after a long day with Sara and oncology appointments and finally bone marrow biopsy. Watching how challenging that was with a small needle made me appreciate the strength of our bones and gave me pause to think. No wonder we have issues after THR. It's been a long butt day and I just cannot put my mind to sleep. Sending you Bunny Hugs. ❤ I am so sorry you have to return to work under these conditions. Xo
 
@Suzette
Thanks for the detailed information. I can see the the pain in the butt is pretty common on a lot of hippies
My consolation is that there has been a gradual improvement over time but it is slow
I find it interesting that the pain in the immediate area of the incision was so intense the 1st 2 weeks or so, yet it quieted down pretty quick, yet the pain the butt which was less Intense takes so much longer to go away

Good luck on the return to work. What can u say
I have worked in large and small Co's and the back-bitting is worse in small Co's
I'm planning on going back to work on 8-24; don't have an exact ramp up but I know it won't be full time on week one
Still hope I can work from home for a while
The Dr cleared me for everything yesterday but after being on crutches for 5 mos I have a ways to go
I need to try driving this weekend
If I'm lucky there is rumor of an early retirement package coming and I will take it
 
Hi @Suzette
Just looked to see if you are online and you are not - is this a sign that you are actually asleep? Hope so!
 
@donor and @copsham Guess what, I fell to sleep at 11.30pm !!!! And woke up properly at 10 am ..... no sleeping pills, but Co Codamol. I did wake quite a few times with throbbing pain at the top of the hips, which I think was caused by me lying on my sides. This pain is still there , I must not lie on my sides.

The being asleep that early is really good but whats bothering me, is that cocodamol is knocking me out and makes me drowsy all day, whereas dihydrocodeine made me hyperactive:dubious:. I never had problems with cocodamol before, so not sure whats going on! it doesnt seem to be doing anything with the bursitis pain either.

I think another appointment with a gp is required. But not the one I saw the other day. I am still waiting for the secretary at the hospital to get back to me, but she works very part time, which is stupid and means you have to wait for her to be at work to get a call back, if you are lucky!

I also drafted a proposed return to work schedule that I will be sending to the boss, hopefully it will be agreed, I have the backing of HR friend and will discuss with gp. Am not looking forward to going back, knowing what the real thoughts are, which were actually what I thought they would be.

@lalo I too have found small companies back biting, and there is no need for it, especially as the company boss and owner is the one doing it!! so unprofessional and intimidating when my desk is right next to hers!

oh well, think positive, at least I have a job....
 
@donor did you manage to sleep eventually?? It must have been traumatic for both your friend having that procedure done and for you to watch. When will the results be known ? Bunny hugs to you both and will be thinking about you both too xxx
 
Hi Suzette,
What a long sleep!! Maybe the cocodamol will only make you sleepy at times you really need the sleep, particulalrly as it did not do this before? It is real trial and error all the time isn't it? x
 
It certainly is!! It used to just make me feel funny :chillpill: for 10 minutes. Now it makes me zombified, it could be that I have just started taking it again for the first time in 2 months, before the op I was taking 8 a day as pain relief for both hips and back problems .

Today I just want to cry all the time. How strange all this is.

I hope you are feeling better, I felt terrible that you cant even get outside to sit in the sun. Mind you today is cloudy but still very humid.

Did you decide on any crafts you could try out? xx
 
Nearly week 8. how time flies.
And Oh, it's 12.55 am, still awake, last night must have been a fluke. Can't seem to control the thigh pain in both legs, worse on right due to the bursitis and cheek muscle throb. Think the same is happening to left hip. just a constant dull ache and its driving me mad. I am walking without a limp, which is something and pretty good, considering. But on top of the hips, my left knee has started cracking again and feels like it pings side ways, fairly painful too!!

I am a bit of a stubborn cow when it comes to pain, I ignore it until I have made it worse. Think that's from 6 years of bad back and sciatic pain.

Not sure what to do about the pain relief though, cocodamol doesn't seem to do anything other than give me a headache and make me a bit dolally. So do I ice or do I heat. Dr says heat. ...do I rest or stretch, am all in a bit of a tizzy!!

Am going to make another appt with a different Dr tomorrow if I can, with a list of questions.

Have my back to work rota worked out with HR lady and sent an email off to boss. Hopefully she will agree to it. Will also discuss with GP to get a fit to work note done that states phased return to work, rather than back to work 1st sept. They are not called sick notes here any more but fit notes. It is also recommended by government that a phased return is suitable to help with rehab. So fingers crossed that my full proper weeks work is mid sept.

hopefully I will not sleep on my sides tonight and start the pain off again.
Night night everyone xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette I hope you can get a grip on this pain....it takes an emotional toll and you have paid your dues. And perhaps you are a stubborn cow....so cute, but you deserve a break. Thanks for asking about Sara, she did well in the procedure but the bottom line for her is sad at 37 years old with a 3 year old child. I will write more about that on my thread. I hope the Boss Lady is a decent human and that the doctor will put in writing what is best for you. I will think good thoughts and keep you in my heart. Sleep over on this side of the world, is pretty terrible. I have resorted now and then to half a sleeping pill but I just want my body to do it naturally. HAHA! :praying: Kinda like I felt when I could not poop to save my soul....despite blasting caps and Draino. Sending love and hugs.....
 
Hi @donor ooh to sleep naturally when will it happen?? I am trying not to have a tablet to sleep too, think i may have to have half soon though.

Sara is just so young, its horrible ... cant even say the right words, and sometimes words just arent enough. It is so good that you are able to be there for her and her child.

I think I will have half a pill and my hot chocolate and pop over to your thread. If I dont catch up tonight I will in the morning.

Loads of love to you and am thinking of you both and the little one too xx
 
Hi @Josephine please could you give me a bit of advise about bursitis and I think the piriformis syndrome. I did go to the GP last week and she initially wouldn't accept bursitis as the symptoms I was describing, eventually she agreed and told me to rub ibuprofen gel on it. This does nothing. Cocodamol also doesnt seem to help either and to apply heat. I am tying to get hold of the surgeons secretary at the ROH , but she is not there until tomorrow. The GP said no to injections and no to chiropractor etc.

Is there anything you can suggest to say to either the surgeons secretary or a different GP to get the point across about how painful this is, as I am sure they think I am making it up or do not appreciate how depressing this constant throb is.

I am also having loads of pain at night. Lying on either of my sides, causes a nerve pain down to my feet, which takes about 10 mins to subside. I am trying not to lie on my sides.

I will now go and re read the bursitis, piriformis and IT band items

Thanks x
 
told me to rub ibuprofen gel on it. This does nothing.
There was a documentary about these gels on BBC2 a few weeks back. They tested those gels and found they don't go more then 1-2mm into the skin! So of course they don't work! Personally, I found ice more effective than anything.
The GP said no to injections and no to chiropractor etc.
Well, y'know what? It's not her call! Did she give you a reason for either rejection? Peraps is it she just doesn't do these injections - I think I did say that a lot of GPs don't.

But I have to ask, why on earth did you ask her about chiropractic treatment anyway? Do you ask her permission/advice when you go to the dentist? Of course not! And neither do you have to ask her for permission to see a chiropractor. You're a grown-up lady and totally free to make these decisions on your own.

As for the injection, hopefully your surgeon will think differently.
 
Hi @Suzette
So sorry to see you in so much pain and frustration.
Hope that you can connect with a Dr. Or someone in the medical community that can help you.
 
Hi josephine thanks for your reply. That explains the ibuprofen then.

I needed a 'referral' but not permission, from the gp to use a chiropractor to enable me to use the employee medical insurance I have. I haven't the financial means to be able to afford this myself. All I needed her to say was yes and record it in my medical records. But like everything I have experienced with this particular GP, she is a no to everything GP. She was the only one I could get an appt with, worse luck.

She said no to an injection as I have had a hip replacement and will get a hip infection....

Its a large surgery and they do have a steroid injections clinic there, as they were going to give me one in my hip before they realised I had OA. She said no to physio or chiro as I dont need it she said, even though I told her it was for private insurance requirements and I felt this would help. Plus it would have been no skin off her nose to have said yes.

Her original diagnosis was sciatica . Even though I described the bursitis symptoms and I did tell her about the piriformis muscle cramping and causing sciatic nerve irritation, but she ignored that too.

I will try the hospital again tomorrow.

If no joy there will try and a different GP and see what happens.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @lalo it seems there's always some niggle going on somewhere. But my actual new hips feel great, its all the surrounding tissues that are not happy.
Fingers crossed I get some joy tomorrow x
 
Hi Suzette,
Isn't it ridiculous about the ibuprofen. Think of the millions of pounds/dollars spent on it. I have no ideas re your pain and what to do other than go to a good chiropractioner as soon as you can. You must be feeling wretched with the pain and lack of sleep... see at 3am (but hopefully not) x
 
Hi @copsham, I know, it must cost millions, ahh, I bet that's why my Mom had 7 spare out of date in 2007, tubes of ibuprofen lying around and that she gave me, because she realised they didn't work either, but kept getting them on prescription! ! To be honest I didn't think it would work. Not sure why drs prescribe it, although some people do say it seems to help?

Last year they prescribed a gel very similar, to rub on my hips for end stage osteoarthritis, I mean, how on earth did they expect a gel to reach the hip joint anyway??

I will be making some phone calls tomorrow, I have found a local chiropractor so will give them a call along with the surgeon's secretary and then if necessary, the GP surgery.

I am getting a bit fed up with the bottom muscle aches and cramps and the bursitis throb too, especially as I have to lie on my back at night and my head wants to sleep on my side, so it (my head) waits until I am asleep, then I end up on my side, then that hurts and I wake up again. Last night it was 4am before I finely went off . Why on earth does the pain always become much worse at night?

How are you sleeping? Are you able to sleep in bed ok now? Are you still having to sleep on your back, especially as your foot is in plaster. Let's hope you get that off soon too.

Let's hope we don't cross paths later on....xx
 
Well we missed each other at 3 am. I slept from 1.30 to 6.30 am which I consider a good nights sleep! I still have to sleep on the sofa bed downstairs, been 8 weeks now. It is very comfortable but I just want to be back in my own bed. I sleep on my back all the time now. As my foot with cast aches too much otherwise. My hip is doing good though. It gets tired but is not problematic. I am very fortunate.

I was thinking of trying to do the stairs today but then thinking about the logistics with non weight bearing, thought maybe not. Good luck with the chiropractitioner. My mother used to go to a chiropractioner for lower back problems and swore by it. I use "Tui Na" which is a form of Chinese massage/manipulation which is also good but at the moment can't get to them - up a steep set of stairs.

[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Pain in the night - I feel for you, hopefully some resolution soon.
 
Hi Suzette. I have found gut feelings to always be correct.... Perhaps differently than we envisioned, for better or worse, but nonetheless correct.
This is precisely why my OS won't let me return to work until 3 mos restrictions are lifted. Since my job has changed and they won't describe the daily routine they expect from me, I requested erroring on the side of caution for my return. I've been in pain for 8 yrs. If I screw this hip up over a job, then I'll have pain the rest of my life as THIS was THE surgery to rid me of this pain.
We've been surviving financially on disability for two mos which is literally 1/2 of my salary, for my contribution to the overhead. We've dipped into savings to cover out of pocket Chiro visits. I will say if you can spare the money for 2 visits for 3 wks, you will be amazed at the difference in your healing.
Our cabinets are pretty bare most of the time, and my anxiety over work is high. I actually have a shrinky dink apt in 2 hrs to discuss this increase in anxiety and better means to control it. I've also been surfing job listings just to keep options open, but I plan to return to the line of fire in a month and pray that what is best for me will manifest in front of me.
It sux though! No doubt about it! Total suckage! You do your best, you tell the truth, yet the hairs on your neck detect some sort of conspiring bs. I feel ya! It sux! My husband keeps telling me rushig back to work for a physical job of constant up and down, stairs, bending, squaring, gowning, degowning, etc, is not worth screwing up my hip. I just wish I could fully embrace this concept without the other half freaking out about the what ifs, and whens.
Do keep me posted about what happens to you at work. I feel it will brace me for my own battle. Hang in there love! Hope that darn bursitis gets under control !!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @copsham that was a good sleep. I did turn off the tablet thingy, and I was still awake at 4 am ...woke up at 7. Truely driving me MAD. Oh well... maybe better luck tonight but if I am awake again I am afraid I might start looking on Amazon. ...

I had bad images of you trying to get up stairs with the knee Walker. ..oooh....does it have a brake?
I am definitely going to a chiropractor, I realised today when doing a sort out, that I went to a really good one for my lower back a few years ago. I thought she was an osteopath, so I was really happy to find that she is not. She also uses acupuncture too. I am going to make an appointment :yes!:

@Tweefishy, you are right too, I need to go to see her, I know how she works and I know she is good plus I like her and I will use my ' just in case ' savings and just do it.

It's sad isn't it, when we hope our gut feelings are wrong, only to discover once again, they are right. It's just not fair. I will go back and face it and have the meeting with the boss, whilst HR lady is on holiday, to discuss my job role, not exactly looking forward to that, as I will have no back up support.

We have managed financially , thankfully, due to the full pay I received, that was unexpected as I didn't know I was going to get full pay, so had started putting money to one side, into the just in case jar. I will use that for chiropractor.

You are right to wait 3 months as you are very active in your job and am pretty sure you have long drive there too, and jeopardising your new hip for them is not an option. Even though it is causing such financial issues etc.

I am taking 2 fluoxetine daily (prozac) for the stress and anxiety the muscle pain and work issues have caused.

I will let you know how work goes, and what my role now is, but I won't believe a word she says if any 'compassion' is shown to me again, which is a shame. I have worked there 6 yrs, have been sick less than 10 days in those 6 yrs until I had my hips done, and one of the reasons I requested that the 2 hips were operated on at the same time, was so that I wouldn't be off sick twice for possibly 10 weeks or more for each hip.

We must keep on smiling no matter how hard this is sometimes.

Xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom