Guest viewing is limited

THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

Woo hoo! Shorts sound great! I haven't yet moved out of the soft yoga pants...not sure I even fit into my denims and the fabric against my hip doesn't sound good. I'm so impressed.

These milestones are great and you are right...it may only seem big to us hippy folks!
 
Yesterday was a good day. I keep feeling more likeyself every day. I still feel the need for the 2-500mg of Tylenol but at night I am doing well. Life is getting back to a bit of normalcy. I am working on my balance and walking more. Every other day I try to go a little farther and longer. I went to the gym to get on the stationery bike and do my exercises. I was able to xyclenfor 15 minutes, yipee. One thing that still is a bit challenging for me is when I first get up from sitting down. I try to stretch a bit but my first few steps my gait is terrible but once I get going it's better. I am mostly walking unassisted but sometimes I feel I need my cane for first few steps then no longer. I always do heel toet which makrs it easier. Has anyone else experienced this? My incision is healing nicely and I noticed a little soreness/sensitivity later in the day. I did forget to ice as much so maybe that has something to do with this.
 
Hi @rheerios
You're doing great. Taking Tylenol as this point should be of no concern. Jumping back into life and hitting milestones along the way is so gratifying. Just a few years back, before pain set in, you'd never imagine the joy in a first shower, first car ride, first getting your pants on yourself. You're right! We get it. It makes you pause and realize all the little things we took for granted before OA set in.

As for the awkward first few steps, I've heard it many times. I feel like someone recently referred to it as
"start up stutter", which sounds funny but I'll bet feels appropriate. I'm sure you'll hear from a few who've experienced it and I don't believe it's anything to be concerned about.

Keep taking it slow, as you are, extending your boundaries a little at a time. It should save you from spending any time in the dreaded ODIC.
A great week to you!
 
@Layla thanks so much. I am just wondering if I should be using cane then walking unassisted? I like that stutter steps haha. Yes, taking it slow and working in blocks. Luckily, I am self employed and can do that. Planning my week over a nutritional shake and then off to work. Wishing you a wonderful week too.
 
Here on the forum we always recommend you use an assistive device until you are no longer limping.
The heel-toe walking you mentioned you're doing will help with a limp, if you still have one. It takes concentration as I'm sure you've noticed. At least it did for me after the sloppy gait I established as my hip deteriorated.
Have a good one! :)
@rheerios
 
@Layla great advice. I feel like I only limp.at the start so I use the cane then once I get going I am fine and not limping. Used my cane a little more yesterday. Will keep using it until I walk well. I thought I would reduce my Tylenol because I didn't have much pain, but guess the once a day 2-500mg is still what I need. Will see how I do today with a few short walks and some cycling. I really like the cycling. My energy is great which helps get some things done. Still icing as much as I can which is my favorite thing. I find I don't need an afternoon nap the last week. Progress not perfection is what my son always tells me.
 
So glad to see a fellow gym cyclist laying it down during recovery! And way to go having a wise son who offers great advice! (Although a little wisdom from offspring goes a long way. After a certain point, you just wanna smack 'em. Or so I've heard.)

Keep it going, and see you on the trail! (Metaphorically, anyway.)
 
Today was a good day. I was a good patient and took my two Tylenol this morning. Still doing those stutter steps then walk pretty well. Schedule has been a bit hectic so walking a lot around the house and office. I am working on standing tall, pelvic tilt and making sure I don't limp. Had a nice outing with friends and had maybe one too many glasses of wine. Thank.goodness my cane was nearby because I didn't wan't to fall from one too many glasses of Rose. Will get to cycling again at gym. Once I am more recovered I think I want to cycle much more and maybe enter race. This is something to look forward to.

Let's talk scars. I had anterior and while the lower part seems ok, the upper has a lot of scar tissue, feels really hard. Do I just let it be and it will be okay later or do you massage it? It feels weird and a little uncomfortable, but not painful to the touch. Once I get rid of my very large muffin top it may be better, lol
 
Forgot to mention that my ROM is really great according to.my PT. I can hug both legs, almost extend my now good hip and operated leg while lying down almost at full extension and I keep getting better with rotating in and out. I don't have the 90 degree restriction so if it feels good I get to do it. I am also.able to do stretches on the floor. At first I was scared I couldn't get back up but it's all working out.
 
You're doing so great! I aspire to where you are in your recovery!

As for the scar tissue, you can massage it or choose not to. For my prior osteotomies I never massaged the scar and it settled down itself. My surgeon cut open the same scar for my LTHR and I'm choosing to massage it at times, simply because it feels good. :)
 
@rheerios, your reports give me such positive vibes clear over here on the other coast! The massage sounds wonderful to me. I could use it down my IT band! Just called to get outpatient PT started...hope they call me back pronto! Otherwise I will have to hound them.

Sounds as if you are well on the road! I see it as an endurance race rather than a sprint! Let me know what you wind up using on your scar. Mine is healing nicely, but still has a bunch of glue adhering to my inscision at 13 days after surgery. Keep on trucking!
 
@Dracia and @editted thank you both. I love a good massage and need to schedule and use my free gift certificates. I love that I am inspiring others and at times feel like I am not progressing as well as I would have thought. Had a little more pain today than other days so hopped back in the cane towards the end of the day because I noticed I was limping. Can't wait to get this gait back to normal. It probably was because I worked a lot today. Rest is in order tonight and going to walk more tomorrow. The walking is key and I have been a slacker. Not sure what, if anything, to use on my scar. It's healing okay but still isn't too flattering to me.
 
The top of my scars were much rougher also...But mostly smoothed out now.
After a few months I used some vitamin E cream on it. Didn't really see much difference.
I use organic coconut oil as an after shower moisturizer as I have dry skin and I love it.
I put it on while skin is damp and feels super oily and then soaks right in within a minute with no greasy feeling.
 
:egypdance:So happy to hear that you are doing well! I'm a day ahead of you and my progress mirrors yours! Hurraahhhh! I've ditched the cane, but find that I get tired easily. I blame that on our hot, humid weather! :loll:Couldn't possibly be me?
 
To all you experience hipsters - when you made it to the threshold of six weeks did you start crossing your legs, ok to pivot, etc? I can do all this without pain but I haven't done it in so long time and now I am fearing I may do something wrong. I had an anterior so now I am wondering if it would be ok to hyper extend my leg . My doc only gave me restrictions for six weeks and I don't want to push it. Off for my am walk
 
Hi @rheerios
I will be following to see what others are doing about the scar tissue. I will be at 7 weeks tomorrow and next week I will be back in the pool with PT. There are a lot of opinions about massaging and using stuff on the scar. My OS is more of the leave it alone philosophy and the PTs are all about the massage and oil it. Being a fan on massage, I've been making energy figure 8s over and on it gently for some time. I plan on putting something on it but not sure what. PT recommended Burts Bees Mama Bee Vitamin E oil. I looked for a thread about this but couldn't find it. Some recommended a scar cream but I don't know where I read it! I like Mojo - recommendation for coconut oil after having used vitamin E.

I'm a posterior and still have the restrictions for another month. I know anterior has different ones.

Congrats on your good progress! Slow and steady wins the race!
 
My PT says NO pivoting for at least 6 MONTHS! I crossed my leg the other day without thinking. :scaredycat:

I used Aquaphor on both TKRs and the scars can barely be seen.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom