Guest viewing is limited

THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

@Thesoutherncook I know all OS have different opinions. My sister had a posterior and she is ok with crossing legs. I guess I will be calling OS office tomorrow. Thanks all.
 
Hi all, recovery has been going well and have been very active so haven't checked this forum lately. PT is really helping me and i am lucky to have a few therapists who believe in light and gentle exercise. Nothing hurts and when I stretch I can walk better and my gait is good. I have to use my cane usually at first and more towards the evening. Nonce I limp at all my cane and I are connected. So no pivoting still in place but now that I have reached the six week mark see started some very small lunge stretches. I have to say when I do my stretches the day is better and I can walk without the cane for longer periods of time. My core is getting better because everything is all about core engaged and buttocks tight. I am averaging 5-7000 steps a day and almost hit 10,000 the other day. I got on the elliptical the other day (I love this machine) and was cruising on it. Excited to be able to do that. I still have one small portion of my incision that has a tiny scab so foregoing swimming until that heals. Ok to cross my legs if I was to to out shoes on but not for long periods of time like when I am sitting, but I can go back to my habit of crossing at the ankles (thank goodness). At PT we noticed that my pelvis tends to shift to the right so I am working on being more aware of that. I think that will also help my gait. I have to think of my belly button as a flashlight and make sure it is centered and pointing forward. Great analogy by my PT. Sleeping on both sides is easy now. I am back to working full time and my energy has returned. I still check in tt make sure I am getting enough rest. The other day I was so wiped I slept 10.5 hours. Guess my body said I needed more sleep. Nights can still be tough and I don't always sleep straight through. We are back to actually having meals as a family again. We have all been doing our own thing and my son reminded me that we really haven't had a family meal together since my surgery so that felt good getting back to.some normalcy. I have a lumpy incision with lots of scar tissue. It feels good to give it a little massage at times. It's not tender like it used to be. I am still taking two Tylenol a day, usually in the am but yesterday I forgot and was doing pretty well until.late afternoon when I decided to take it.

As everyone says, it's a process. Some people walk with a good gait early on, some of us, like me take a little longer. I dont want to hurt my my back so my buddy, my cane and I get to hang out occasionally together. May go adventure out with my son on a field trip somewhere today. We will see what unfolds.
 
You're doing great! Continue listening to your body and rest when you'd tired.
You'll know when it's time to part with the cane. Taking it slow and steady has paid off
for you. It's heartwarming to hear of the returning "normalcy" in your life.
A great week to you!
@rheerios
 
Thanks so much @Layla I thought this would never come. One great thing is that I use to slouch a lot when walking. Now with my hippy hipster I am more aware of my posture and standing tall. Eating a lot better too and losing some of the unwanted pounds. As they say six packs are made in the kitchen so I am more aware of my portions.
 
A great majority of us established a sloppy gait while favoring our deteriorating hip.
Some longer than others. It will come. You've taken a sensible approach during your recovery, not rushing
it and wasting time in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) and its paying off.

I'm sincerely happy for you. It's great to see how excited people are when they're engaging in life once again. I've often mentioned here that I miss the time when I was about a month post op, had a fresh passion for life and a very grateful heart that I was no longer hurting and could do things once again that became nearly impossible.
Life is good, I'm sure you agree!
@rheerios
 
This week has been going well. My focus has been standing tall and making sure my pelvis is lined up correctly. We noticed in PT that I tend to want to shift my right side (the operated side) towards the left. My PT gave me good advice to think of your belly button like a flashlight and point it forward. As I mentioned my core and glute muscles are weak and as I strengthen them I walk better without a limp. I want to do this right so if needed I use the cane and for now I contract my core and glute whenever possible. I won't have to do it always when I walk and for now it helps me walk correctly. Since my range of motion is really good and I love to stretch before getting out of bed PT gave me a few exercises to do before I get out of bed to stretch out my hip so those first steps are better than stutter steps. I have to say they really help and none of the exercise they have given me are painful. They are actually good stretching for me overall.

Did I tell you I got to do the elliptical the other day? I am excited because I can now go to gym and use that machine for a total body workout, but not too long because I still get tired. Since I am working full days now I am wiped out by the evening. Sleep is coming easier, but sometimes all I need is to lay down, ice and elevate.

Yesterday it was fun going to a college seminar with my son checking out colleges. He has decided due to cost to go to the local JC and then transfer to a university. He is very interested in UC Berkeley, but it is a hard school to get into so he wanted some other options. He found a small college in Ohio that sparked his interest and we are going to check out some other CA colleges too. I did well during the whole seminar, we only sat for a short time.

I look forward to when I can walk normally with a proper gait and not concentrate too much if I limp or not. Overall, I am very happy with my progress and I continue to tell myself this is my journey, no one else's and I will get there when the time is right.
 
You're right, it is your recovery and you're doing it your way.
You're doing great. Keep it up.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@rheerios
 
Today was a great day. I went to PT and I was walking so much better. I even walked almost two miles today and only used my cane at the start. Each time I try to go a little farther. I have to remind myself to get up away from the computer every 30+45 minutes. I am an Event Planner and a bit behind and had three timelines to complete - one down, thank goodness and praying that this bride doesn't make any more changes.

I barely used my cane all day until later this evening. The hip is getting stronger and I am working on balance. Yikes, I am out of whack. Now, I am all wired up and hope I get some sleep.
 
My PT gave me good advice to think of your belly button like a flashlight and point it forward.
Great tip.
Shine your light forward:heehee:
Glad all is going well.
 
Since my range of motion is really good and I love to stretch before getting out of bed PT gave me a few exercises to do before I get out of bed to stretch out my hip so those first steps are better than stutter steps.

Can you describe or share these stretches? I'd like to see if they'd help me. Thanks
 
@Bchbum4evr I had anterior so I don't have limitations. Here they are:
Opposite leg bent
Extend leg and flex foot, really press entire leg thigh knee onto mattress
Core engaged
Buttocks tight

One leg bent
Extend opposite leg up to ceiling - check that you can do this
Core engaged
Extended leg buttocks tight

Hug both knees into chest
Back flat into mattress
Core engaged

One leg extended
Grab opposite leg back of knee and pull in and hold
Core engaged
Buttocks tight

Please check that these exercises are ok depending on restrictions.
 
@rheerios thanks! I can do a couple of these but the knee to chest is a definite no. I have 90 degree restrictions.

I'm attempting the bed tonight, I'll try the few stretches I can do.

Appreciate you!
 
The straight legged one, you can do both may be a good one for you.
 
Hi all,
I have been with no cane and walking g really well for last week. Today is 8 weeks and I am super grateful I did this. There was a point in time that I didn't think I would ever say this. What has helped me the most is to continue to move and to rest when I needed it. I am back at work and I have my first event this weekend. For those that don't know what I do I am an event planner. I will do a lot of pointing and directing and making sure I don't overdo it. I and very fond of The Dailey Method that we have here in California. It focuses a lot on core work. of course I will not ever be doing the warrior pose but my PT and my doctor recommended I do this. Core strength is really crucial for recovery. I've noticed that once I start Gaston core strength my recovery improved. Of course I could not do it until five or six weeks post-op. Hope all of you are enjoying your day and recovering well.
 
Hi @rheerios
Happy 8 week anniversary!
I'ts great to hear all is going so well for you. May it long continue.
Event planner, that sounds like fun. Enjoy your first time back and best wishes you make it through the event with ease.
Thanks for updating....please stay in touch!
 
Just perusing surgery dates and noticed it's your two month tomorrow.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Sending best wishes a day early because by tomorrow I'll probably forget, lol.
Hope you're doing fab and having a nice weekend!
@rheerios
 
Back
Top Bottom