Guest viewing is limited

THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

@Layla sorry for the late response. I was gone over the weekend for my first time on airplane since surgery. I had my first event which set me back a little with some sore muscles the last few days. Doing a little more icing and trying to rest when I can. It's a busy work week and can't wait for some down time over the weekend since I haven't had a day off this week.
 
No worries on response time.
Congrats on your first post op event...now under your belt. Sorry you're feeling the effects.
Hopefully some icing and rest will get you back to where you were.
Let us know how you're feeling when you have some free time to catch up.
Wishing you comfort!
@rheerios
 
:wave:Sorry you had a little too much activity too soon and are having to pay for it.
It happens:groan:did too me too.
I was gone over the weekend for my first time on airplane since surgery.
How did airport security go?

Hope all is easing...Assume the position:ice:
 
Hi all,
For the most part I am doing pretty well I know BoneSmart has a different view point on PT and I find when I don't do my stretches and exercises I have adverse effects. Weird, I know. The trip out of town was a short flight so sitting wasn't too bad. I did a ton of walking and forgot to do all my stretches because I thought all the walking was good enough. The first two days back were tough and the work load didn't decrease so, unfortunately, I couldn't slow down too much. My whole body felt sore and I almost had to go back to my cane. Instead, I found two times to do my exercises and today I am back to my perky self. Still need a little Tylenol. That's a question for others who are farther along - how long until you didn't need Tylenol? I would love to get off of this soon(I am one of those that don't like taking g any type of pain relief). Working has really been an experience and I set my alarm for every 45-60 minutes to stretch and walk. I may need to invest in a great standing desk. When did all of you start dancing? Am I okay now at 9 weeks? I love dancing!
 
Hi there,
All recoveries are different as you can see while visiting the forum.
You have to do what works for you. You've been doing well!
I'd keep it up, learn your limitations so you're not sidelined with pain.
Slow and easy as you've been doing.
I hope you have a great weekend!
@rheerios
 
But what if you were a bad guy?
You must look just too sweet for that!
I did do stretches and some light PT and gait training!
But not right at first.

So happy you are feeling well!
It was awhile before I could go without some pain relief especially at night, but then I went back to work part-time at 5 1/2 weeks...not recommended with BTHR by the by..
You sound wonderful.
Hope you have a great weekend.
 
@rheerios I think you can put in a call to your surgeon about dancing ... My surgeon generally clears people for activity after 8 weeks ... but ... a big ... but ... if it hurts, he says, stop. But every surgeon seems to have their own timeline ... I think it's based on experience ...

So what kind of dancing do you do? One reason I'm looking forward to having this surgery (September 12th) is so I can get back on the dance floor without aching pain afterwards ... and incredibly stiffness during ... I swing-dance ... Just love it!
 
@Layla good advice and since I am past the "restricted" stage it appears I can do more. @Mojo333 I was waiting for that security alarm to sound off, haha. @Going4fun I love my 89's music and I am an Event Planner. I wanted to get out on the dance floor this past weekend. I will definitely be dancing soon.

Today was a great day. Work is busy and I made sure not to sit too long. I think I need to invest in a standing desk. I went to the gym and did 15 minutes on the elliptical and another 15 on the stationery bike along with stretching exercises. I feel like I couldn't some weight training and not sure where to staet. I see PT on Monday so maybe they can guide me. Balancing is still difficult on one leg. Sometimes I can do it for 45 seconds without stopping. I want that to get better. I feel great after the light workout. Any others have some suggestions on how to start back in the gym. I am not sure what's too much or too little. May need to get a personal trainer for a few sessions.
 
Hi there, Happy Friday!
Just to be safe, I'd confer with the OS or PA on when it's safe to return to the gym and ask if they feel there is anything you should avoid at the gym. I know some have returned but modify their workout. Better to be safe than sorry since you're doing so well.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@rheerios
 
@rheerios, I'm a year older than you ... so you're my age ... So basically all people our age have to start slowly when getting back into shape--joint replacement or not! .... That's sorta what I've learned painfully by foolishing doing too much .. repeatedly and paying for it later.

These days I find that I get the clearest feedback from my body ... not just the day after ... but often two days after ... I will be walking around tired ... just feeling blah ... Often it's when I've worked out too hard ... on weights or on cardio ...

At first I will think I'll bummed or depressed about something ... and then I sorta do an audit of my life ... and it always comes back to having overexercised a day or two previously ... though it did not feel exhausting at the time.

God, I once lifted weights about a month ago ... at the same time I was cutting calories. OMG. My body screamed a day later ... with fatigue!

So I think the same rule applies after joint replacement ... exercise ... see how you feel, see how your leg feels, a day later ... two days later ... My thinking is that it's best when getting into shape again ... to work out frequently at shorter time and lower intensity than it is to work out hard on a sporadic basis.

But your body will LOUDLY SHOUTINGLY tell you the pace you need to work at ... Give a day or so ... Unfortunately it seems that it is impossible to not overdo it occasionally because you can feel fine during the exercise and immediately afterwards ... and then the pain, stiffness, fatigue ... occur later.

Still I would check with the surgeon ... One reason I chose my surgeon is that he's OK with aggressive exercise, including running ... I wanted the placebo effect of his endorsement of aggressive activity. So you might get a nice little placebo effect to hear the surgeon's office endorse what you're doing. Then you can just concentrate on the exercise and drop the worry that you might not be doing it right.
 
But your body will LOUDLY SHOUTINGLY tell you the pace you need to work at ... Give a day or so ... Unfortunately it seems that it is impossible to not overdo it occasionally because you can feel fine during the exercise and immediately afterwards ... and then the pain, stiffness, fatigue ... occur later.

True that...and not heeding your body's warnings...especially regarding THR...can lead to tendinitis and a myriad of chronic issues that will set you back in recovery.
Whatever is "lost" during recovery, can be regained after healing is further along.
Body needs energy for deep healing especially the first twelve weeks IMO, and it can't access it when it's being used up for over zealous exercise.
Just stay slow...in a few months...more will be possible and more helpful!
 
Thanks everyone. I did take a very gentle yoga class and it felt great, but my downward dog looks like a floppy dog. Just doing light exercise like the stationery bike, walking and the elliptical. Yes, I want to do more and listening to my body. Stretching feels great. Off to work I go on a Saturday . Hope everyone has a great weekend
 
Hi there,
Thinking of you this morning after I noticed one of your posts on another's thread.
Wondering how you're doing? Leave us an update if you have time. Would love to hear.
I hope you have a great holiday weekend!
@rheerios
 
@Layla life has been busy and I haven't had much time to check in. Looks like I have almost 100% ROM (range of motion) in most areas per my PT and now it's time to build my strength back in my hip. It's still quite weak. Doing a lot of walking and now taking some gentle yoga and core classes. I am up to 8-12,000 steps per day and having a Fitbit really has helped. Barely limp anymore except for a few seconds when I first get up from sitting for long periods. Strength exercises are done very slow and boy do I feel the burn, and, in a good way. I have to say walking has been my best therapy and I went the farthest I have in a long time today. It feels great to be a regular human again. I find walking has helped my recovery a lot. I got my bike out of the shed (haven't been able to ride in awhile), my son pumped up my tires and I am going to take it for a spin tomorrow. 11 weeks ago I was just getting this surgery and amazed at my recovery. I have talked to a lot of people who like to be as active as I do and they did tell me it could take up to a year. My incision is still hard and a bit lumpy and I hope it smoothes out soon. I know some may think I am doing too much, I am just not one that can do without being active and exercising. I still ice occassionally which frels great. Now, I can get some extra weight off and keep fit. For those just going through this, it does get better. My turning point was at five weeks ( I did a little walking and a lot of sleeping and Netflix) and it just keeps getting better. Wishing everyone a fabulous Labor Day weekend and healing.
 
Hi @rheerios
What a wonderful update. Thank you for sharing.
You're doing so well. Keep it up and enjoy.
Hope you have a great Labor Day and week to come. :flwrysmile:
Stay in touch.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well for you.
A great weekend to you :flwrysmile:
@rheerios
 
Three months!
Gee...time flies when you're having fun:heehee:

Hope all is still improving!:tada:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom