BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] Another Second Chance

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by inthebeginning, Apr 22, 2019.

1. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

United States United States
    @Layla
    Happy weekend to you!

2. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Day 18

Let me tell you, taking an 81mg Aspirin twice a day is so much nicer than poking Lovenox in my stomach!

Got word that bro-in-law will be coming out from LA tomorrow for a 36 hour visit to explore the area. The sis-in-law that visited last week got a job offer in the area. Now hubby needs to take a look and see if the area will be good for them to move out. With wifey out of town, that means I get to straighten the house up with daughter’s help. So much for taking it easy before the baseball game this evening.

P.S. No Tylenol in 2 days! Will probably need some later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Be careful. Sometimes all feels well, until you stop.
    I'll bet darling daughter steps up knowing dad is limited in what he can do these days.
    By the time the game is on, you'll be ready for some chillin in your favorite spot :ice:
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 1
  4. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

One cold gluten free beer for me and one cold cheap beer for my hip.
    :cheers:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Leaving to head to the baseball game. 750mg Tylenol as a precaution. I already have 8k steps today :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Have a blast! (And a beer for me)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

They just sang the Anthem! Already over 10k steps and feeling great!

• Like Like x 2
  8. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Awesome! Enjoy every second!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:unsure: I do hope you are not overdoing things...I have been accused of being the Cassandra of the forum.
    I do worry for you.
    Hope the day went well and I don't doubt that there hip feels good...you did get it replaced. It's all that new healing happening that makes me worry for the energy stores needed for healing.
    Hope your Sunday is slow and easy!
    :beg:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Take it easy with your BIL over the next couple of days and try limiting your hops in & out of the car. If you go out as tour guide, maybe pack some ice packs.
    When we were repatriating back to Canada, I flew here (a city I knew nothing about or anyone here) from China, tired to decide which area we would want to live in, buy a house by faxing documents to my husband and head home 3 days later. That was a nightmare. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought a house with that much jetlag going on. I don't expect he will be moving that fast but it will be nice if he can get a good feel for the community and all that it has to offer. Have fun!

• Like Like x 2
  11. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Day 19
    Had a good time with my daughter at the ballgame last night. It rained a little on us and got quite chilly. Temp got down to 48°F.

The Fitbit ended up with 13,342 steps! That’s a little over 6 miles :bored: it also showed 14 flights of stairs!

Not really any more achy this morning than usual..
    <Edit> my glute is speaking up a little more than usual...probably the stairs. <Edit>

plus, I was able to sleep on my back without a pillow!! I used it once I rolled on my side but on my back, no problem! I can go up to about :15 on the op side now as well.

Hmmm, maybe more walking? JUST KIDDING @Layla @Mojo333 @Carriemay60 :rotfl:

All of you Mothers out there have a wonderful day!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  12. Layla

There is a reason your surgeon advised as he did above.

You're pushing your surgeon's guidance in a BIG WAY at over double of what he advised.
    All I can say is I hope it doesn't end up causing additional complications for you, resulting in more surgery and down time. You aren't even 3 weeks post op yet...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr senior

Good for you on the quick recovery (NOT including what Layla/Mojo are saying above)...
    I meant good for you on what you've been able to accomplish since your surgery.
    By initial hip replacement for this hip took place in 2005. No, at that time I had no worries. It was my first joint replacement surgery and I breezed through it fairly well. Also, I was 15 years younger which I believe made a difference as well. Then I had two more joint replacement surgeries, one on the other hip and a left knee replacement as well.
    My attitude going into this surgery only became difficult after the surgery, when I realized how far back I needed to come in order to regain my normal strength, physique, and attitude towards life, which is typically damn good.
    So trying to compare the two surgeries, the initial hip replacement in 2005 vs The Hip revision 6 weeks ago may not have done me any good.
    Yes, I had a terrific surgeon, one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Charleston and I think he did an excellent job, lol. (Like I would really know, ha!) But many, many people I spoke to prior to the surgery told me what a great orthopedic surgeon he was.
    My difficulty now is more with my psychological state of mind. I believe I'm healing beautifully, I just don't like being confined, isolated, not working, anxious about money...
    All is good.
    Again, very impressed by your progress. Please take Layla's and Mojo's advice seriously...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

FOURTEEN? Fourteen flights of stairs?????? OMG. That is so crazy that it doesn't come close to being impressive!!! :blackcloud:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

For what it’s worth, I did have the cane with me. I suppose I did actually use it for support and not just for ‘protection’.

As far as the stairs, I think Moreno than half were the baseball stadium steps. Only a 3” riser and 3 foot tread, so it wasn’t like I was stepping up great heights. I did take two steps per tread to ensure the good boy went up and the bad boy went down!

I can’t help comparing my current recovery to 6 years ago. I understand that this procedure need more time to recover to ensure the stem embeds properly. So, what you’re saying is no matter how good I feel.... so what? I know not to push too hard and no impact and extra weight bearing. This weekend was a fluke with the wife out of town, the ballgame and BIL in town etc...

If I judge my recovery based on how things are feeling, I’m OK. I get that there’s more to it than that. I have to drag the BIL around for a few hours tomorrow then TRUE rest.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

It's fantastic that you are doing so well! You know your body and your limits best. Would hate hate hate to see you have any set backs this early so it's normal to hear us all gasping at your recovery! Hope today is good for you! :ok:

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. 59billy

59billy senior

Sone of the recovery discussions remind me of George Carlin's routine about how anybody who drives slower than me is an idiot, and anybody who drives faster is a maniac.

Edit to add: not calling anybody an idiot, and I reckon the maniacs know who they are!

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Love me some George Carlin and I remember the skit------good one @59billy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Layla

No, My thoughts are that most of us do a lot of research in choosing our surgeon and in doing so agree to follow their recovery protocol. I think your surgeon's guidelines sound reasonable / generous. Within the same week he advised you to slow your roll, the ballgame happened. I doesn't seem you respect his direction and I don't understand why you'd risk another set-back, or worse yet another surgery and recovery.
    We aren't expected to sit in a chair and never move, but we're not supposed to overdo it either. There needs to be a balance. Given the fact that you experienced a loose stem and had to endure an additional surgery because of it seems all the more reason to follow your surgeon's direction.

This is a choice you're making. Are you saying BIL doesn't have enough respect for you to understand you're in recovery from a major surgery and maybe shouldn't be hauling him around for hours? Consider enlightening him on your situation and don't do any more than you're surgeon is recommending. In this instance, I'd advise you put yourself and your recovery before BIL's needs.
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 4