THR And so, I Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 you may be right on the cane. I feel like I need to go without to help build up strength. The more I go without the better it feels.

5 weeks? It feels like a lifetime since surgery.
 
Exactly @gullimac! I've noticed the more I don't use it the more I don't need it (if that makes sense). Sometimes, if discomfort is up a bit, I will start limping more and that's when I use the cane, but each day sees me using it less and less. It's interesting how quickly the leg muscles start getting stronger.
 
@gullimac @Cynthia777 I haven't felt like I've needed the cane for awhile but still take it out with me as a visual aid for other people so they don't knock me over, lol! It's also good for pointing at things, waving at threatening looking teenagers (who might knock me over), and sometimes if I enthusiastically go too far on my walk, it comes in handy to get back home :)


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
Decent day today. I drove my truck today for the first time. Had been driving the SUV we inherited when my FIL passed away 7+ years ago. I had very much missed my Dodge Ram 1500 though. I had hoped to drive to Lowes today and grab a few bags of mulch to put out. However when I got there I realized the bags were still a lttle too heavy for me, so I backed away and came home empty handed. I was able to come home and mow the small strip of grass in or front yard. I have decided to leave the cane at the front door to use only as needed. Have been walking around the house with no assistance. Not perfect, but I have built some needed confidence.

I still feel like the non-op hip is the one holding me back. That one is giving me the old familiar joint pain. The new hip (AKA Mr. Right) feels pretty good, just need to build confidence. Some muscle soreness and ligament tenderness still, but that is something I can work with. Short trips without the cane are easy, but long walks wear me out. Still feel like I am on target to return to work for 2-3 days next week.

In the last week I have finally been able to eat a little more. With my dental issues I seem to have been that rare THR that looses weight during recovery. I have taken off around 12-15 lbs since surgery. I actually think that returning to work may make it easier to keep the weight off. We will see!
 
I still feel like the non-op hip is the one holding me back. That one is giving me the old familiar joint pain.
I found that so frustrating! When I talked to my physio about it she suggested exercising in a pool as the best way to strengthen the new hip without stressing the old one. I only had access to a pool for a little while but I did find it made a huge difference. I didn't do anything strenuous - just walking in the water and standing holding onto the pool edge doing the leg swings out to the front, side and back. It was just ten minutes in the pool twice a day which is why I only did it when I was on holiday and had a pool right there - too much hassle if you have to travel and then pay for such a short visit. I would recommend it though.
 
I realized the bags were still a lttle too heavy for me
Whew! Glad you backed off. Still a bit early for anything that heavy. I learned this from experience unfortunately.
I seem to have been that rare THR that looses weight during recovery.
I lost 14 lbs post LTHR without even trying. I think it was from being more mobile and finally off the darn crutch. Well done on your weight loss!
 
Very inspiring, and sincere reflections you've shared. Sometimes it seems some of us just need a break in life to realize and reflect, unfortunately sometimes those breaks don't necessarily come in a form that we see as condusive, until we really look deeply and honestly at them. I'm finding myself again as well, after many years of wandering, and wondering. Reading your journey, and openness is a breath of fresh air, and is so appreciated.

I read that there are struggles, as are always expected, but I also read how you're just facing them head on, and are realizing and knowing when to choose those battles, and when to just "chill".

Keep fighting the good fight my friend, it definitely seems your on the winning side here. You'll be off of everything in just a matter of time, and walking tall, as you should, because you deserve it. Your family is very fortunate to have you, as you are to have them. Although walking without a limp, and being pain-free is all important in life, I'm learning from you that there's a whole lot more to work on... and it starts from within.

I've been inspired by you from the first post I read from you. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
 
So, as per my history I have overdone it a bit this week as I get ready to transition back to work. Tried to put the cane aside and walk without this week. Of course I could not quite stop there....the wife and kids are off on vacation at the beach this week and I am at home with our young, I'll-behaved pups. I decided to head up to my MIL's cabin in Blue Ridge, ( not too far from our pal @Jillie422 ) about an hour and a half drive, for the end of the week. Walking on un-even ground, holding back two 50lbs dogs and bending down to pick up stuff has taken its toll...oh yeah did I mention my desire to be helpful and bring some items from my MIL's garage. (I already hear your warranted admonishment @Jaycey @Krista and others).

I need the reminders that even though I feel SO MUCH better, I still have a lot of recovery to go...and another hip to go. Despite my preference, it will not be a bad thing to still be walking with a cane as I return 2 weeks earlier than I had planned. I need to remember this is only phase 1 of the process...and remind work that I Told them this very thing before this step.

I am nervous about the return to work and the things that have occurred during my absence. I am more worried about the things that my bosses will have decided to implement after covering for me for 6 weeks.
 
Well I'm glad you are getting a change of scenery here in the mountains! And yes.... You're over doing it :snork: ... but I do totally understand how that happens, for being pain free is so liberating!!!

I too am still walking with my cane.... The limp is still there without it, altho I do sometimes forget about it inside. Your apprehension about returning to work after being gone is warranted... So many times stuff changes in our absence that goes totally against our grain. I'm grateful to be retired and without that stress anymore. I'll be anxious to hear how things go your first week back :)

Enjoy your mountain weekend, @gullimac .... And don't let those pups get the best of you in your recovery! :dogwalk::dogwalk:
 
I am chuckling as you tsk-tsk yourself, @gullimac! Just walking those big, frisky dogs would have worn you out! It certainly won't be a bad thing to still be walking with a cane. It will be a good reminder to you and others of you still having limitations. Don't blame you for being worried about what new plans they may have in store for you when you get back to work. Being an athletic director is a big job without surprises. Good luck!
 
Headed back home tomorrow since the girls are headed home from Florida. My wife and I (unententionialy) put off our anniversary from last week. The girls head to their first ever away from home camp beginning Sunday. So my first week back at work will not have the kids as a distraction and perhaps some time for me to attempt to,adequately thank my wife for the tremendous rock she has been the past year.
 
@gullimac -I understand your work concerns. My work is already asking at 2 weeks how much longer is this going to take. I don't even know how to answer.

I hope your transition back to work is more smooth than bumpy and that you get to do something for your belated anniversary.
 
@Sommers16 there is no way you can/should be expected at work. That being said I did respond to a few emails inside of 2 weeks (and I swore I would not [and those that know me are aware that I am proficient at swearing :rofsign:])

Anyone that asks a return to work question at this point has no clue what has been done to you.
 
Haha, I love the description of your little getaway, it's always when you think things will be fine that they get out of control ad the dogs behave badly and you drop things!!! Yeah I would think that the stick may be better to Keep close until you get to work, just having it there if you need it but not relying on it. Getting tired, will check in later
 
My work is already asking at 2 weeks how much longer is this going to take. I don't even know how to answer.
I was told 10-12 weeks for recovery so I told my work I'd probably be back 12 weeks after my second surgery. I think it's better to prepare them for the long run and surprise them by going back a few weeks early if you feel able!

@gullimac - hang on to that cane. It will remind you and everyone else that you're halfway there and need to take it easy! I was laughing at your dogs. I can't imagine walking a dog so soon after surgery but then mine never would walk nicely on a lead. He was always trying to pull ahead even when he was 14 and our walks were very short.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom