Guest viewing is limited

THR And so, I Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
. My work is already asking at 2 weeks how much longer is this going to take. I don't even know how to answer.
Sorry, but that's not just bonkers but incredibly selfish. These people need to educate themselves about what this surgery is all about before they lean on you to scramble back to work to suit their needs.
 
Thanks all for your input on the return to work expectations situation. Since I have a desk job and not a physically demanding one, I told them it could be 6 to 8 weeks, based on what my doc told me. But since I don't have that much paid leave and the company doesn't have short term disability as a benefit, the loose plan is for me to try and work from home some before going back to the office. I will need the income, so I appreciate they are willing to try and see what work tasks might be transferable to home ... I just don't know for sure when I will be ready for that to come my way. Feels like I am still figuring things out just recovery wise, and that is enough.

Yesterday and today the calf muscles on my operated leg feel sore and tight. Don't know if it's from sleeping in the same position for too long, as I am trying to observe my posterior restrictions, or whether I've done too much with PT, or whether I've not done enough with PT, etc. Whatever the cause of the calf pain I don't feel like working on spreadsheets yet, that is for sure.
 
@gullimac had to chuckle at your comment about admonishment. Easy does it my friend. As with any recovery, the first time you do any activity may bring on some discomfort. That's why the slow and steady approach works best.

Ease into work as well. You are still very much in recovery. Please don't try and be a hero.

Glad you and the wife can grab some quality time together!
 
whether I've done too much with PT, or whether I've not done enough with PT, etc. Whatever the cause of the calf pain I don't feel like working on spreadsheets yet, that is for sure.
I've never seen anyone here be told their pain was because they've not done enough PT!
:heehee:
 
Hope you enjoy your last w/e before returning to work. I've really enjoyed your thread, you've been very candid and how great to be mobile again :)
 
Went back to work today. Meh.

It was good to see folks. I could get little things accomplished and try to bring a few things back into my domain. Had a few moments when speaking to my boss of feeling like I was to blame for the shortcomings of others while I was away. Probably a bit overly sensitive, but I feel that way quite a bit in this job.

Took the cane and used it. Did not do a ton of walking. Mostly just computer work and updating calendars. I have an evening meeting tomorrow, so I plan to go in later. Depending on how I feel after these first two days, I will probably take Wednesday off and then work Thursday.
 
@gullimac - good luck with the ongoing transition back to work. As much as humanly possible try not to let the reality and the grind of work eclipse all that you have accomplished and have overcome outside of work. You are so much more than how that role defines you. Continue to share here in this safe space and know others are thinking of you.
 
Hi Guilimac.Im so glad Im on the other side.Im soreThe Surgeon said that this femur head was flat and there was a lot of wear on the acetabulum .He said now he understood the pain level.The gentleman that did my knee last year said my knee was deformed from breakdown.The right one is actually also clicking and hurting a lot.Still ,even tough Im sore on my left it's more controlled.The last 6 weeks were hardly doable.When you have an active job like we do,there is no reprieve.Your job is a lot harder.Either way we are on our feet and walking constantly.I too feel bad about my spouse having to carry so much of the work burden.Our last child moved out in December.That was our daughter,our then 10 month old grandchild and the baby's Dad.Im starting to be able to do the dishes ,clean the counters ,clean floors and transport the laundry.The stuff that daily life requires ..It's getting better,still sore but better


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear from you @Healer01 . I agree on the demands of the job. I am lucky on this recovery that the summer is less time on my feet covering events. Much shorter hours and going back now allows me to take a few days off to enjoy the summer along the way. I will not be as lucky for #2 in November. That one will be more like jumping back into the frying pan.

Fighting the desire to "be useful" during my recovery was hard for me. I had to remember that my main focus needed to be on recovering.
 
@gullimac I'm scheduled to return to work a week from today. I'm curious about your commute. Once I get to work acitivty will be limited, but getting there could be an adventure; 3 trains many stairs...

Kyle
 
I have a 40 minute commute. That doesn't bother me, but I think changing trains and standing and waiting would be a little tiring. Can you give yourself some "recovery" time when you get to work before you get started every day? I am actually moving much easier than I did before surgery so the walking around the building hasn't been bad. We did have to drop off the kids at camp this weekend...lots of walking, standing and stairs...that got me tired quickly.

I was also a little surprised in the mental drain I experienced. I needed to give myself short tasks and at first and build up to longer activities each day. Sometimes I needed a few minutes to zone out and then I could launch back in.
 
I am thankful that my second hip could be done during my summer break. The brain drain really affected me when I went back to work in March 6 weeks after hip one.

One nice thing about hip two is that I DO have one good leg now. Amazing the difference it makes. I don't have much range of motion but it is strong and doesn't hurt!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
If all goes as planned @jomarie58, for hip #2 week 6 of recovery would be the beginning of Christmas Break. So I would get 2 more weeks (making 8 weeks) to return for the 2nd hip. Hoping I have as at least as as good of fortune the 2nd go around. My secret master plan for hip #1 was to see where I was at 6 and 8 weeks. Hoping the 2 weeks makes a big difference. Fingers crossed it all works out that way.

Here at 6 weeks from hip #1 I don't feel sharp, but during the summer planning period time I can make it work. I fully believe that the problem here at 6 weeks is that hip #2 has quickly become a limiting factor for me. I started feeling that way at week 4. Hoping that having two repaired hips,after doing #2, will make the recovery even better :fingersx:. Honestly historically January is typically the hardest month for me.

Despite all the warnings on BS I think I underestimated the energy drain. Call it hubris based on my (relative) young age. I expected WAY BETTER mental endurance and acuity in my return to work. Hoping that my bosses and coaches realize that coming back to work at 6 weeks is very accelerated. Most people at work are saying they are surprised, but I don't think they HAVE A CLUEas to what I have gone through.

@kwarendorf i think that returning to work is very dependent on what your job is, but 1 month from surgery, would be hard to believe. I felt guilty about not being at work at 4 weeks, but realize now that I was not ready 2 weeks ago ( and may still not truly be ready).
 
I should be honest that my first hint that hip #2 would soon be a problem was just after my 2nd injection. I began to notice the severity of my left hip during the "honeymoon" period of the injection to my right hip. Having even "just a day or two" relief from the pain in my right hip, gave a glimpse of the issues with the left. Again, please note that I waited WAY TOO LONG to acknowledge the issues with my right hip.

My whole saga actually began (in my mind) with swelling and pain in my left knee. I thought I had a meniscus tear in the left knee. After an exploratory scope of that knee I was diagnosed with early onset OA. I thought at that point I was headed for a TKR for that knee. I had discounted pain and problems I had experienced for 15 + years in my right hip. You can still make the chicken vs. egg debate in my case. I do believe the left knee issues hastened the detoriation of my right hip. But it has been interesting to note for my PT's that the range of motion in my left side has always been much worse. The left side was even the 1st side I struggled with in terms of tying shoes (something that I gave up on 7 months prior to my first surgery).

I don't think I even acknowledged to myself until recently how bad the last few weeks before surgery truly were. I should have thrown in the towel at least 2 weeks before surgery. I was physically and emotionally done long before that point. I was in no shape to be working. Being back at work co-workers can easily see that I am much better off now than I was. I just hope I can remain that way.
 
One nice thing about hip two is that I DO have one good leg now. Amazing the difference it makes. I don't have much range of motion but it is strong and doesn't hurt!
.
I agree. I've found this time around much easier. I think partly because this hip wasn't as bad and partly because a lot of the energy drain was the arthritic hip grumbling away and making my back and sore too.

But @gullimac , I usually go back to work in January thinking it'll be more relaxing than the hectic Christmas break! :mcoffee: I hope you'll get a chance to relax and be pampered!
 
@gullimac - I appreciate your being candid about the challenges of returning back to work. I have that to do as well, but haven't figured it out yet. I am 24 days out of surgery today, and like everyone have had some ups and downs. I think you are right that your co-workers don't fully understand. I mean, how could they, really? I get well-intentioned texts from co-workers time to time mentioning their envy of my work hiatus. I want to reply, "Yeah, it's been a real picnic - a real scene from a travel agent's poster. A glamorous, carefree collection of days battling everything from constipation, pain, physical and emotional fatigue to seemingly inexplicable weepy episodes." But I keep it to myself, because I realize if the roles were reversed I really wouldn't know or get it either. And they mean well. It seems cruel almost that when we begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's time to resume the normal responsibility load of life. We need a law passed that we get so much recovery time, and then an additional allotment of time to enjoy having some of the recovery work and stress behind us and an opportunity to enjoy just being. A reward. Alas, until that happens, keep up the good work. It sounds like you are making the most of things, especially given that you still have more restoration work to go. You know we support you here.
 
Most people at work are saying they are surprised, but I don't think they HAVE A CLUEas to what I have gone through.
Unfortunately they don't have a clue. Be your own advocate. As you have discovered the energy drain from this surgery is real. Go with it and adjust your work schedule to allow for as much rest as you can. As I have said before (sorry - broken record now) easy does it!
 
@gullimac I appreciate your thoughts about returning to work. I've been building up to it slowly. Everyday I walk the 3 blocks to town and do something; shop at the produce market, go to lunch etc. Today I drove to the barber and got a haircut. All of this aimed at increasing my real world stamina. I've been working 7-3 from home for the last 2 weeks so my work brain should be OK. I'm going to experiment by going back on Thursday so that after 2 days I'll have the weekend to regroup. :)

Kyle
 
@gullimac : Just want to pop in and say that I found recovery after my second hip replacement to go *much* faster than the first! It is as if my body now knew what to do, and went for it. My surgeon says that is common and what he generally expects to see!
Maybe not so much true with the brain fog and the energy levels, but as far as pain, mobility, range of motion and building stamina in the hip/leg, much better!
That being said, so glad you will have 8 weeks off the next time! I think most of us go back to work too soon, because of financial pressure or pressure from work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom