• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

Revision THR An Incredible Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdgrrl

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi TH- welcome back! Wow, it sounds like everything is going well so far. That is great! Every time I start to think about pushing myself too hard, I think of your situation and dial it back a bit. I realize that your situation was probably mostly a surgical issue to begin with, but it never hurts to back off a bit and not overdo it. Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well, and sending positive energy that this continues.

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Hi all,

My recovery has been pretty good. The severe pain before the revision is gone and now it's primarily just recovery pain.

It does feel like I have a leg length discrepancy, although I can't tell how much. It isn't causing much pain because I'm using the walker to weight bear, but it feels unusual. Is it normal to feel like your legs are different lengths after 1 week? Otherwise, I can't complain. This time isn't quite as easy as an Anterior because I have a long stem and that aches quite a bit, and I also have a Posterior scar. But it will get better, and I'll gladly trade it for whatever pain I was having.

So I'd like to hear if it's normal to have your legs feel different lengths at this stage.

Thanks,

T.H.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
TiredHippy It is a common feeling to have one leg seem longer than the other. You need to give things some time to settle and see where you are after a couple of months. I'm glad to hear you're doing well after this surgery. You're really not far out from surgery at all yet. Just take things easy and things will improve during the coming weeks.

I merged your latest thread with your revision recovery thread. We like to keep all of your updates, questions and concerns in one place. It makes it so much easier for us to follow your whole story. If you decide you want a different thread title at some point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

alexthecat

SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR
Country
It's amazing that I had so much more pain with an Anterior than I do with a Posterior this time, but this surgeon was good.
I've had various hip surgeries, involving various surgical incisions. My anterior incision was always the most problematic. Always. I was very glad that, when I needed THR, my OS told me that he didn't need to do another anterior incision because I really didn't want that.

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Thanks for the feedback and information with leg length discrepancy, and also your feedback Alex on incision position and pain.

I think the Anterior has more nerves to damage and irritate. It seems like the surgeon also released some muscle or scar tissue around my Anterior scar which rid myself of more pain.

I'm also using a cane now at 7 days, so I'm doing pretty well. I just have to take it one day at a time. But as a whole, I'm very pleased, and would urge people with ongoing pain like I had to consider a revision if it looks like the stem is loose.

I may have to change my nick soon :)

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Hi there TH

I think the Anterior has more nerves to damage and irritate.

This was exactly what both of my surgeons told me and anatomically when you look at that area there are.. I am so pleased recovery is doing well.. Fatigue, go with the flow.. Nap and sleep as much as you can.. So important to the healing process xx

luluohio

Country
I live here in the NW too, Issaquah, I just had my THR at Swedish on the 14th. I'm glad you are doing well. I was scared to death going in for that surgery. I was very happy to get it over with, I seem to be doing well so far. Just getting a little bored of spending so much time in one couch and one room. The pain is getting less as the days go on and I'm feeling stronger. I'm over the hump. Good Luck with your recovery.

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Hi luluohio,

So you're close to the emerald city? You get even more rain than we do! But your nick has Ohio in it. My brother grew up here (in the NW), but married an Ohio girl and never came home. Were you from Ohio at some point? I love the outdoors, and that's why dealing with the Hip is so important - well that, and wanting a quality-of-life, which it sounds like you were losing too.

So you are a week ahead of me? It's hard to imagine it's only been little over a week. In some ways I'm way better, but still hurt and need to be down most of the time. How long were you in the hospital? I was in almost 5 days since I live alone. I have a good friend and also home health, so I'll live.

And you must admit, it's better to be down when the rain is drizzling, and not when we have good weather!

Best,

T.H.

Vida

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Hey from somewhat north of you in the rain belt. Glad to hear your revision went well. I'm 12 weeks and only recently shed the LLD feeling, I think it can go on for even longer, just have to wait it out. Take care. Vicki

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Hi all,

I think I need to change the name of my thread and my nick! My recovery has been unbelievable! After my evening exercises, I was able to walk unassisted tonight. :spin: . I've been on a cane most of the week. The best thing is having the unrelenting pain gone. I have surgical pain, but it's milder than what the loose, misaligned stem was giving me. I had a DePuy Pinnacle with Corail stem before, and now I have a stryker revision system that allows for more customization. What matters is that it works!

I'm a posterior, and don't think I'm as far behind an Anterior as I expected. There's only a 3 or 4 day lag from my first surgery.

Just wanted to see if the admins were able to have my thread reflect a happy ending, or, at least that my surgeon solved my pain issues. Also want to say that it wasn't the Anterior approach, but 100% surgeon error. The stem was a poor match for my anatomy, and was always too loose.

And I hope others experiencing the problems I did, learn there's hope with a revision. Just keep looking until you find the right OS.

HappyHippy

tashia

alpha
Country
I am so glad you are doing great. May it continue. I like HappyHippy. Take care.

Country
yes 5.jpg
what at positive report!!!! I LOVE IT!! What would you like to change your title to---I can do it for you right now if you like!

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Bottomshollow, I wasn't sure I could change my nick. How about we do HappyHippy, so it's enough like the old to know it's me, but reflects the "after" side of surgery.

As to my thread, how about "An Incredible Journey" or "Now I Can Sit on my Bum". The hardest part of the pain was not being able to sit, which meant I didn't have much of a life for 4 years. I know many can relate. Perhaps you can have fun and merge the two or come up with something creative.

I'm overjoyed to be doing so well, and I don't want to be tired anymore. However, I won't completely overdo this time. I'm holding off on PT for at least a month, and spending time sitting and watching TV while I do my foot pumps. Slow and steady wins the race ....

Thanks bottomshollow, and everyone who's supported me on my journey. :dancy:

Country
I'm going to change your thread title---I'm going to tag Jamie and Josephine to change your user name to HappyHippy---which really makes me happy for you. Only admins can change user names--so it may be tomorrow before it's done.

OP
OP
H

HappyHippy

senior
Thanks bottomshollow, and I can wait for the change in nick. I hate to ask for more work, but would it make sense to merge my "Pain after 2 Years" initial thread before this? It gives some info about my journey, and shows when Jo declared what my problem was - and she was right on! I'd been searching for answers for months before landing here (like many). If that's too much to do, I'm fine with the happy hippy ending.

Thanks again,

HappyHippy

Country
I have merged your two thread into one per your request. And you are very welcome!

luluohio

Country
Hi HappyHippy, I don't know if it actually official yet. I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. I had a really hard time sitting too. The pain was so bad. I felt like a nut constantly complaining about my pain. It was the only thing on my mind though. I had to get up and leave meetings especially sitting in one of those hard chairs that tip up on the edge. Why do you think they make chairs like that anyway? Do they think if it doesn't tip up you will fall out? Any way it must feel like heaven to be released from that constant pain. I was just sitting here thinking I couldn't even sit on my couch without a pillow under my knees. Now I've been sitting on it for the past 2 and a half weeks with none of that type of pain. If it didn't get that bad I would still be hobbling around complaining, complaining and complaining...... I think most people at work won't recognize who I am because my attitude is bound to be better. I can't wait to completely recover and get out for my walks again. Until I read about your results I almost forgot I was actually feeling pretty good too. You just had to mention pain and sitting.
Anyway Yes I was originally from Ohio, then I moved to Denver and now I've been in Washington for about 20 years. Time just flies so quickly. I really like Denver and eventually I might find myself back there. The sun is out about 95% of the time in Denver and I still have alot of old friends that still live there. Ofcourse I worry about moving back there and everyone might move somewhere else for retirement. I think I would have to try out anywhere before I move though. Last time I was in Denver I was stiffer than I usually am here with all the rain. I guess altitude must have an impact on arthritis too and I do have mild to moderate arthritis in my L hip. I'm hoping that it will last and carry me through to the finish line though.
Keep feeling good and take care of yourself.

beesquare

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What an inspirational outcome TirednowHappyHippy. I've just read through your story and all you've been through with pain and your fight to finally find someone to sort things out for you. I'm so delighted to hear that at last the solution has been found and you can now move on to a happy hippy life. Enjoy every new day!
Take care

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member