Revision THR An Incredible Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annette,

You're in a nice area, I'm a touch jealous as I always loved SF, but Portland is a nice city too. It sounds like you're set for having ways to exercise nearby.

I'll be curious to see your films. I worked with Physical Therapists at our State's institution for people with severe disabilities. I made training videos and wrote up programs because I was a training/mult-media specialist.

And I've been good the last couple of days and it's helping. I cancelled my PT assessment until next Monday, so it will be 1 month. I'm in no hurry to overdo PT this time. I think I've been active enough so I'm progressing on schedule. The appt. was supposed to be this morning. I have a Dr. appt. this afternoon, so 2 is too many. I'll continue to watch my activities and not overdo.

Thanks for writing back, and will be looking for your films.

Best,

HH
 
HH,
I've been to Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival but never to Portland.
I have the x-ray and nuclear imaging reports. I'll post those tomorrow. I should have the films by next week and try to post them.
Glad to hear you're doing better and not rushing the PT.
I'm looking forward to this weekend. I'm volunteer ushering for SFJazz on Friday and Sunday nights and the SF Ballet on Friday night. Six years ago before my hip replacements I thought my life was over and I would never see the insides of Davies Symphony Hall, the SF Opera House, Herbst Theater etc. ever again. My Life is still good!

My legs felt stiff today walking but no pain. At night at home a little more uncomfortable. No distractions.:)
Take care,
Annette
 
Hi HappyHippy,
Thanks for introducing your story to me. I just read your thread. I have LLD. It was so disappointing. My surgeon told me the first time he visited me after my surgery that he lined up the X-rays of my good leg to the operated leg and endeavored to match them. He thought it was thrown off due to my bit of scoliosis. Well it didn't seem too bad but by 6 weeks post off started to feel hugely different. I cannot straighten me operated knee when standing up straight. I have to wear a shoe lift. They didn't want me to at first, but my back pain grew increasingly worse. I was wearing slide in type shoes like Merrils called Easy Spirits. I could not tie my shoes after my anterior surgery.
My PT did not hide the look on his face when he saw my LLD. He measured me and said I was under 1 cm.
so I wear Asics and pull the remove able insole up and slip in a shoe lift. The Mayo OS said I was 1/2 inch actual LLD, but it feels like an inch. So sad because there goes my hope of wearing pretty shoes.
The good news is that after a year I am now pretty used to the LLD, it just takes the fun out of looking gorgeous or buying shoes. I recently gave away almost all the shoes in my closet. I had hoped to wear them again after my THR. That will never happen. I think shoe designers are trying to make comfortable and stylish shoes but its not there yet for my type.
I am so glad your recovery is going so well.
I had groin pain on day one after my anterior. I now wish I had opted for the standard approach. I had the cards stacked against me being female, thin, with my back issues and some hip dysphasia, which I never knew that I had. I had zero back pain before my surgery, but now have quite a bit of back pain.
How is it doing your at home exercises? Can you move your leg okay to do slides, etc.
I just wanted you to know that you may notice the leg length a lot right now, but I think you will be used to it by this summer. Best of luck to you!
 
Does my story sound a little like yours? My surgeon was eager to have me be one of his first Anteriors because I was lower weight and in good health. And I'd choose a different surgeon and the traditional approach given another chance. This was my second chance, and I'll take it! My Anterior was bad, though and took 3 years to finally get surgery.

I've been able to do leg slides since day 2. Good recovery overall, but this has been kind of an off week. More pain because more activity maybe? My new and old incisions are the worst part. I don't know if this is normal at this stage, but I drove to my Dr. and walked about a block to his office yesterday. The Operative report from my surgery stated my joint capsule was full of scar tissue. I get worried that my joint will start scarring down and pain relief will decrease. I hope that's not possible.

It's early for determining the LLD. No measurements yet, but I don't see the PT until Monday.
 
HappyHippy, Were you able to do slides on day 2 after your Anterior? Your recovery sounds very good so far, which brings hope for hippies like me. I could not do a slide on Day Two after my anterior. My hospital PT staff seemed confused about that, and were picking up my leg and doing it for me. I have consistently heard great outcomes from others who went to my anterior surgeon. Was not for me! Can you do long arc quads? I could not do that either (straight leg raises while sitting). I can do them now but they are painful. It was excruciating getting in and out of bed or the car.
I still have to place a clean tissue on my scar so that it does not touch my pants, the scar hurts. It has recently started to hurt a bit less.
It's very tidy and small, but hurts like heck. Wish I could turn back time.
I have a lot of infection worries on top of the nerve and tendon pain from the anterior surgery. I will be watching your threads to see how you are doing. If it were not for this forum I would feel terribly alone in this ordeal.
 
Hi HH,
Hope all's well with you.
I just wrote out both both reports but an error occurred and they were I guess lost in cyberspace.
I'll try again tomorrow. I never learned to type so it takes me forever. Time for dinner.
 
BarbieJ,

I was able to do slides the first few days both times. I was considered a very successful Anterior the first time until the pain set in. I had great flexibility until the second surgery. I kept doing water exercise the entire time, and had very aggressive PT the first 6 months, and kept it up to maintain. The last few months before surgery I kept during exercises, but I'd alway hit a wall where I had too much pain and need to stop. Lastly, my Dr. placed me on narcotics when we knew I'd have surgery soon, so I'd stay active and not lose function. Leg lifts have been painful, but are better with this last surgery.

The Meralgia Parasthetica (thigh nerve damage) never cleared up. I use 1800 mg Gabapentin daily to control pain as well as lidoderm patches when the pain is bad. I wasn't able to wear jeans for a long time, and they are still uncomfortable. I'd check into getting a prescription for it. One good thing is that you say you're incision is getting smaller and less uncomfortable. That's a good sign it may be Still recovering. Nerves can heal, but sometimes take months. My painful area is about 10" x 8" and has been consistent.

But the bottom line is that you still have too many problems for this far out from surgery. Remind me what your surgeon's excuse was for such poor outcomes? You are at the Mayo clinic being checked for a Psoas impingement now, right? And that could be the case. It's easier to malposition the prosthesis in an Anterior hip. Keep me posted on how your progress goes.

Hi Annette,

Volunteering for SF's performing arts is a great way to see shows for no charge. I had friends who did that up here. And it's something I may be able to do in a few months. My retirement budget doesn't allow me to see many expensive shows in one month. I belonged to our Art Museum too, but the Hip had taken a lot of life away. It will be so good to get it back!

Have fun this weekend!
 
I saw on another thread that you were having a tough week. Hang in there.. you have been through a lot, it can only get better from here on in. At three weeks I was a physical and emotional wreck, at 14 weeks I'm feeling really strong, pain free and very optimistic about my future. A year ago, I could not imagine feeling this good ever again.
 
There must be something that happens at 3 weeks. I was feeling pretty frustrated at that time, too. Now, not so much. I'm feeling pretty good and able to see that I will be able to do so many more things by summer. Hang in there!
 
I think there's a 3 week blues. You're well enough to start moving around your space independently, but not enough to get out. TV and reading get old, and if you can only do limited housework, your home may start driving you crazy. And still being dependent on others is a drag. If you're with someone, they're ready for you to get better, and if alone like some of us, still need help from others for a few more weeks.

Now this is depressing just reading! :umm:

I don't know about others, but I'm feeling better. Dr. Is letting me drive a little, and getting out more will help.

Thanks for your kind words. I didn't think the blues were gonna come a knockin' this time, but no one is immune, eh?

And I changed the word "Happy" to my nick to remind me that I've had a dramatic change for the better. When bad thoughts creep in, I remind myself that I'm happy now :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] An Incredible Journey
I may be ostracized for saying this, but when I had my hip replaced I never had the blues at all---not even once---never ever felt like crying--never even teared up.

When I had my knees replaced I had one 12 hour period when I was trying to catch up with the pain from my second knee in two day and had been alone with no family or friends for a couple of days when I felt a bit down and was on the verge of tears. I then remembered that there was a fellow church member there with his wife who was dying---I straightened myself up and never had another blue moment from then to today. Lucky me!

But I am a cockeyed optomist---always have been---my glass is always half full---if there's not light at the end of the tunnel, I'll be striking a match---there's always some humor in any situation---and so forth and so an ad adnauseum!
 
Yes I agree, three weeks must be the breaking point. Too much of too little activity, the house starts looking like a mess and you are tired of sitting.
I finally got to my 5 week mark tomorrow and today is the first time I actually went upstairs with a cane and took a shower all by myself, washed out some PJ's and brought some stuff down stairs that I needed. Big Day for me! It's so good to feel like I can do things. I'm going out for dinner this evening with a friend. So things do get better, just a few more weeks of maddening down time and you should be as good as new. Hang in there.
I felt like I was really way behind in my progress, now I'm feeling the improvement. No pain in my operated hip is like heaven. It seems like there is a time that just slows to a complete halt and then you jump forward overnight. I was getting to the point I thought I was never going to see the day.
 
Judy (bottomshollow), I would never ostracize you. :) I never had the blues after my THR either. I wouldn't call myself an optimist, in general, but I did have a very positive attitude toward my recovery from THR. It was just light years easier than other surgeries I've had.
 
Thanks, Alex (alexthecat). It's nice to know that I am not alone in having a really positive attitude about my surgeries and not having the blues.
 
HH so glad to hear you are feeling so well! Remember to take it easy and don't become a member of the over-doer's club! I'm so pleased that your recovery is moving in the right direction!
 
Dear HH,
Depression is a bummer and at times harder to shake off. Getting out more I know will help. Just don't overdo it.
I've been distracted from thinking about my hip problem. I've been busy ushering at the SF Ballet and SFJAZZ. Tonight is out to a champagne dinner celebrating the 79th birthday of my SO. Next month is my 79th birthday celebration.
I am experiencing stiffness in my leg but not truly pain. More of just an ache. It hasn't interfered with my everyday activities.
Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll start a new thread with reports and my x-ray and nuclear medicine images for comments.

Hope you're feeling better each day.
Annette
 
Annette I just heard today, Yoko Ono turned 80, it seems like only yesterday when the Beattles were the latest rage. Just thought you may be interested. I wonder if she had any of these surgeries. She still looks very good. You seem to be doing So well... I hope when I turn 80 to be in good health and to be doing fun stuff like you- You sound like a 20 year old. We are so lucky to have this surgery available to us.
 
LULU I didn't know she was actually older than me but not by much.
Many years ago when her son was about 8 or 9 she bought a studio unit in my condo building with a pool so he could have a place to swim. I never saw either of them just knew they were owners,
I tried to start a new thread with all my reports. AN error occurred and I don't know what happened to it . I tried to post the same info on this site and the same thing happened. Maybe it's just not meant to be posted?
 
@Annette That's must have been exciting. I wonder when her son went swimming then? It would seem that you would see them occasionally. So it must have been after John Lennon died? if her son was 8 or 9. He was just a baby when that happened wasn't he?
I've been having some problems with this site too. I've written a couple of lines and everything locks up and I need to reboot my computer, it also signs me out each time. Let me know when you get your thread up and going. I think I looked for your thread last night and I couldn't find it. Take care!
 
Annette and luluohio, There is a place in "Office" (found on the white bar at the top of the page) where you can report bugs and tech problems so that you can get some resolution of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom