TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely! But you are quite right - they are tough!


Amber, would you keep your recovery posts in this thread please? As you can see, I have merged your new one onto your bigger thread.

Also, would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
 
I am very concerned about something, and I'm coming to you all for input. My right knee - the one that had the TKR in May - is doing absolutely beautifully. I can't believe how well it feels. I'm so grateful I had it done.
But, about a month ago, my cat was at my feet at the sink, just sitting there, and when I turned to walk away, I fell flat on my knees and arms. I sat on the floor for a minute, totally afraid I'd injured that knee. My arms hurt, my left knee hurt, but my right knee (the one with the artificial joint) felt GREAT! Thank goodness. So, I got up, and for the next week had black and blue marks all over my arms. Well, since that happened, my left knee hurts and today during church it was really hurting .... the outside of the knee and some hurting down the leg. I'm wondering if I've torn the meniscus ..... I dread the thought. I think if it doesn't clear up soon, I'll call my doctor and go in ..... :secretaea: If he does suspect a meniscus tear, I don't know what to do .... go for the arthroscopic surgery (had 2 on my right knee before the TKR) or just get it over with and get the knee replaced. I feel at some point that is inevitable.
I'd really appreciate some input from you all and advice also.
Many thanks,
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Abby....it sounds like you took a really good fall there. Did you trip over your cat or did your knee just give way on you?

At any rate, it the pain is the same or increasing, then I do think you should go to have it checked out. You really can't make a decision until you know what is going on for sure. Don't start leaping to the "TKR decision" just yet. Get the facts and go from there.
 
Hi Jamie ..... yes, I fell over my cat. I was unaware that she was still at my feet. I guess I should call the doctor, but there's so many things swirling through my head. Do I call the doctor who did the arthroscopic surgeries or do I call the surgeon who did the knee replacement. They're both in the same group but each doctor has their own specialty.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR :scratch:
 
Abby,

If it were me I would call the one you feel would give you the best evaluation (diagnosis). The one you would go to if all you felt was knee pain and had no idea what it was.
 
I guess that means doctor #1 - the one that did the 2 arthroscopic surgeries.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR:hissyfit:
 
Well, I have made an appointment for next week - Wednesday - with the doctor who did the TKR.
In all honesty, if it is a torn meniscus, which I believe it is, frankly I don't want to do what I did before - I had 2 arthroscopics on my right knee and then the TKR. I'd rather not fool around and while I'm in good health and fit, just go for the TKR in my left knee. That probably sounds crazy, but my right knee has done so well that I don't want to go through all the arthroscopics, shots of Halgen, fluid draining, etc. if I'm going to wind up having a TKR anyhow.
I'll let you all know what he says.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
JAMIE ..... Today I put Boswellin Cream on my knee and wrapped it, and it did make it feel somewhat better. Tonight, when I unwrapped it, went into the bathroom to get washed up for bed, and my knee buckled 2 times. I'm
feeling big sighs of concern now ..... meniscus? or something else? I guess I'll know next week. I think I'd better keep it wrapped during the day til I go to the doctor to give it some support. I wanted to tell you about the buckling since you'd asked this about when I fell. Maybe it actually did in conjunction with falling over my cat. I know it's definitely getting worse as I fell over 1-1/2 months ago. Thanks for your insights.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
When my right knee was going bad, it would do a "buckle" on me with no warning. Suddenly I'd just be on the ground. No pain in my case, just a tumble face forward. It wasn't until after I got my knee replacement that I realized how unstable it had been all that time. It doesn't always happen this way when the meniscus is going, but it can.

It's a good idea to keep it wrapped for a little extra stability. Just be careful also until you see the doc.
 
Jamie .....thank you so much for your insight and support. I guess today I'm a bit discouraged because my right knee is doing spectacular, and now this. But, self-pity gets me nowhere so onward we go. I am going to be very careful of it and keep it wrapped during the day.
This morning when I got up (not wrapped during the night) WOW, it hurt. I could barely walk on it.
I guess I said this before, but I'd rather just go ahead with the TKR and get it over with since I know at some point it's inevitable. But, I would like to wait til maybe early April when chances of snow are gone.
My doctor before gave me VIOXX for pain until I had the first meniscus surgery, but now that is no longer available, I wonder if there's anything they can give me that's not narcotic. I'm using Ibuprofen, Bufferin, and Tylenol (alternating every 4 hours) and nothing helps. I have a lot of Vicodin left from the surgery as I really didn't take it except when absolutely necessary, and I'm considering taking one of those when it gets too bad. I hate doing that, but I might have to til I see him.
I'll keep you updated on what he says. Again, thank you so much for all your support and advice. :wink1:
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
God luck Abby in whatever you decide to do, but getting the diagnosis first is a step in the right direction, and then you can evaluate the information given, and make the right decision as to what is best to do for you.

Glad you RTKR is doing so well, this will certainly be an advantage when and if the other knee needs to be done, and we will all be right here with you to encourage and cheer you up should you need it.

Take care till then.:flowerysmile:
 
If Vioxx worked for you, you might try Celebrex. I've used it for arthritis (and other) pain for years off and on and it works for me. I take 200mg once a day. They also have a 100mg capsule. You would want to take the least amount possible that does the job. It is an NSAID, available only by prescription.
 
Thanks Jamie ..... I appreciate you're letting me know that.
I'll keep you updated on what he says Weds.
abby
5/24/11 RTKR
 
aretha ..... thanks so much for your encouragement. I guess I am jumping to a conclusion too quickly. I'll see what he says on Weds. and go from there. I've got it wrapped which helps with the buckling.
Take care,
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
aretha ..... I just noticed your age ...... tomorrow is my birthday and I'll be 67 also!:biggrin:
abby
 
Amber, don't sweat about it. Nothing baaad is going to happen if you let it settle for a while and see how it goes.

Plus there is no 'what if' about having a menisectomy or a TKR. It's quite possible to have a torn meniscus without needing a replacement. If you check my signature, you sill see that 6 months after my RTKR, I had a left menisectomy and I've been perfectly fine since. That's 2½ years ago!
 
What a day! The weekend was wonderful - two of my 3 kids came, took me out to dinner, and we just had a wonderful time. My daughter, who lives in VA came and spent the night and we went into town today to poke around the little shops.
It was a wonderful birthday.

Now today ..... we are obviously going to have bad weather, and the barometric pressure is dropping like a rock. All day, both knees have given me a lot of trouble. The right one - the RTKR one has been "angry" all day, and my left one - the one I'm seeing the doctor about Weds. has hurt so much I could barely walk. I'm using a soft brace on it for support, and taking Ibuprofen, but nothing is helping.

I guess I can honestly say I'll be glad to see my doctor on Weds.
:rolleyespink:

abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom