Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mountain Kat ...... I don't understand how you can function without an ACL. Were you born like that?
 
Mountain Kat ...... I don't understand how you can function without an ACL. Were you born like that?

The doctors seemed to think it was from a previous injury. They couldn't rule out that I was born without one though since I didn't seek treatment for any injury. Or perhaps it was removed or damaged when the meniscus was removed when I was 7. There is really no way to know for sure, but like I said the doctors thought it was from an injury. The MRI results were that the ACL was "not intact". The only time I had any major injury would have been when I was 17 and someone hit me from behind while I was inching my way down the bunny slopes. My knee was quite sore for several days and my boyfriend, now husband, had to practically carry me up and down the stairs, but I don't remember it hurting even on our trip home. My best guess is that is when it was torn. How I've managed to live without it is probably because I didn't know any better. Since my meniscus problems were congenital, I have no memory of not having knee problems. It has always been more sensitive and limiting. So losing whatever stability the ACL provides wasn't even noticeable to me. I'm weird, I know! :snork:
 
Mountain Kat ..... you're not weird at all! I think it's amazing that you've gone this long, living a normal life, and not having an ACL. You're one strong lady and you must have a very high pain tolerance, since when you had that ski accident, you were able to go on with your life rather easily.
Makes me wonder, if I do need ACL surgery, if they couldn't just take it out. But I guess at my age - 67 - I'd probably not do very well.
I wish you well and I'm glad you posted this.
 
Makes me wonder, if I do need ACL surgery, if they couldn't just take it out. But I guess at my age - 67 - I'd probably not do very well.

I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.... :scratch:

I really hope your results show that whatever happened is an easy fix!! :thumb:
 
Hi Amberpep, sorry to hear about your ACL issues. I have heard of people who have lived several years without knowing that they completely torn their ACL. I was told by my OS that if the muscles in their legs are strong then they will often compensate for the loss of the ACL.
I am going to completely butt into your business and offer some unsolicited advice. IF you have to have it replaced and your OS gives you an option you might want to consider a cadaver ACL and not use your own hamstring tendon. I completely tore my ACL ten years ago and was not given the option. The only pain in recovery was from the hamstring and I never got all my strength back in it. Part of that was ignorance on my part. However, two years ago my husband had the same surgery and did not listen to my advice, he has since urged friends having ACL replacement surgery to use cadaver tissue. My tennis partner just had her's replaced two months ago and after much consideration decided on the cadaver tissue and is very glad she did. This decision has made her rehab much easier and she is ahead of schedule.

Hope you don't mind my butting in. Just a little food for thought. Good luck!
 
lreaves .... you're not butting in at all! I appreciate the advice. I was thinking that anyhow as if they take it from the hamstring, that would be 2 places to heal rather than 1. Well, I'm hoping that it's not necessary. When I wear the brace it makes it feel LOTS better. I'll find out Monday when I see the doc. again.
abby
 
Abby, they don't cast the knee after an ACL repair but they do put an humongous dressing on it which amounts to the same thing. After a few days they replace that with a brace so you can at least flex the joint.

With shoulders - not at the same time! But I will have this Bradford shoulder sling which immobilizes the joint for some six weeks

[Bonesmart.org] Amberpep's Recovery Thread
 
Oh my Josephine .... that totally immobilizes you. How do you even get dressed? or do you just stay in button up pj's til you can get your arm out of that. That looks really tough .... I feel for you, my friend. How long do you stay in the hospital? I guess when you're home, you have to have 24/7 help.
Exactly what is wrong with both your shoulders? Is it the rotator cuff?
Do take care .... there sure are a lot of things that can go wrong with our structures, aren't there?
 
~ what's wrong is a kind of arthritis but yes, involving the rotator cuff
~ the procedure is a day case so home the same day
~ you got it - djellabas will be the order of the day! Or just a pull on skirt and a shawl
~ certainly will need lots of help - only problem is I live alone, no family nearby, no friends who aren't sick, disabled, already caring for ailing husbands or without transport!
~ conclusion: it's going to be tough!
 
Josephine ..... oh my, being alone when you have something this serious done is really tough. I'm alone too, and it sure was no picnic. About 4 days after I came home from the hospital (I was alone during that time), a girlfriend from PA came down and stayed a week. She cooked and read and I essentially slept.
She was wonderful to come down and do that for me, and I was so grateful. After that I was on my own pretty much.
I hope someone will step in and help you .... I can't imagine doing this by yourself.
 
I took the brace off when I changed into my pj's. and the back of my knee feels pretty good tonight. Maybe the ACL isn't involved .... I can hope anyhow. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I see him. :rolleyespink:
 
<*)))><
Oh I'll get by - it's only for about 10 weeks. Nice of you to care though ...
 
Morning Jo, so sorry to hear that you are going through another procedure, I wish you lived closer and maybe I could visit and help.:friends:

I do hope that it does the trick, and you don't go too bored. I know you always have your Bonesmart work, hope you can get by with typing with just one hand though!! I wish you the speediest of recoveries Jo. Be thinking of you.:flowerysmile:
 
Well, I saw my doctor today, he looked at the MRI disc and except for a dent in my knee which he said was there on the last MRI, there does not appear to be anything wrong. I stared at him in disbelief, and said, "well, then what is it?" I told him that I wore the short runner brace with the hinges since I last saw him and it helped the back, but not in the front where the meniscus lies. He had me get on the table and moved the knee around and when he manipulated that lateral and lower part around the knee cap I thought I'd go through the roof. He said to wear the brace for 3-4 more weeks and try to rest it, and if at that time it's the same, I'm to call.
I'm glad the ACL is OK, but what in the world is this???? It's been almost 2 months since I fell over my cat.
 
Wow, that is interesting, you would really think the MRI would show something?! :scratch:

Hopefully given some time and support it will improve. :friends:
 
Mountain Kat ..... yes, you would think so. I'll just do what he says and go from there. Maybe I'm going looney!
 
I know that MRIs often don't show the true extent of damage, but it still seems odd that it showed nothing. Oh well, what do I know - I'm no expert! I hope you feel better soon, because it really doesn't matter what the problem was as long as it gets better! :snork:
 
MRIs are neither infallible nor 'see all, tell all' tools. It's more than likely you sprained tendons when you fell and/or bruised soft tissue and bone. As ever, that can take some weeks to heal.
 
Thanks Josephine ...... that's what I'm thinking, too. I wear the brace during the day and take it off at night to sleep. So, I'll just have to go the 3-4 weeks and see what happens. It would be great if that took care of it.
When I saw him this passed Monday .... he looked at me and again said, "do you still have THAT cat?" to which I replied, yes. He just shook his head. I don't think he's a "cat person."
A girlfriend told me recently that she read somewhere that more falls in the home are caused by falling over pets than anything else. Oh dear and I have 1 dog and 2 cats. But, since I fell over the one of them I've put a big bell on her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom