TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both so very much for your kindness and support. I went this AM for bloodwork and then we'll see. He said depending on what that shows, he would aspirate some of the fluid and have it tested. He already did x-rays and said they looked fine, but you never know unil you do a bone scan.
If there is an infection (which I strongly think there is), do they let you take meds. home to take, or do you have to go into the hospital?
Why do you need a different OS to do a revision, if that's what is necessary? The doc. I used is one of 12 in the practice and folks who have worked here say he's the best around and then if they ever needed anything like that, they go to him, and their family members would too.
Thanks again ...
abby
 
Basically I am scared to death .... for a 68 year old woman to say that is pretty extreme, I know, but it's true. I live alone with all my kids grown and away. I am alone and feel it right now very deeply. When I think of MRSA I think of death. Extreme? I don't know. If I do have an infection in there, from what I understand you get an IV with antibiotics, but is that in the hospital, or home? Afterwards, do they always have to go in and replace or clean up the replacement?
My head is spinning with questions and worries. And, I feel very, very, alone and scared.
abby
 
Oh Abby! HUGS!!!!!' :console2:

We understand you're scared and apprehensive. It's the anxiety of not knowing what will happen - and it's so normal. We're here to listen, so keep on posting.

Caryl
 
Abby, I can't add to what Sonja jas already told you - she is the expert on this. But you should understand - in order to take away the fear of MRSA - that the acronym stands for methycillin resistant staphylococcus aureus. Now staph, as it's more commonly called, is a part of our natural biological make-up. We are as much bug as we are muscles, nerves or skin. It's only when bugs get into the wrong places that they cause these problems. In fact, most infections from zits to boils to wound infections are caused by staph. Mostly they aren't a problem to treat and can be dealt with reasonably well. But the MR is the issue and when it gets into places like major surgery wounds or prostheses, then it's a problem if not treated appropriately which means with intensive IV antibiotics.

Once a PPI (peri-prosthetic infection) is subdued, then there are usually two options: wait and see if it's completely controlled (with blood tests) and if it's not, then proceed to a one or two stage revision. One stage is changing the implants and cleaning out the wound thoroughly and the other is replacing the implants with antibiotic impregnated spacers for a period of time, usually until the blood tests show clear, and then putting in a new knee.

Hope this has been informative and not scary!
 
Yes, what Josephine said!!! That's what happened to me. I had the spacer, then the revision. I knew Josephine would be more concise than me.
Blessings,
hedgep
 
Then it sounds like this is done in a hospital and while you're not put out, you're sort of in la-la land. Can you drive with this in?
abby
<*)))><
 
On the above message, I meant a picc line, not the surgery. Sorry, but I confuse myself sometimes.
abby
 
Update ..... Hi all. Well, I've been to my OS last week, he x-rayed the knee and the replacement piece is still well in place. The doctor then felt there could infection in there, so he sent me for bloodwork, which came back fairly normal. So, today he aspirated my knee and got 1-1/2 of those big syringes full of blood .... no pus ..... he thought it was all blood, but he's having it lab tested and cultured. If it is just blood he said we'll get a bone scan and then go in with a scope and "look around" and possibly be able to fix it then. If it's something that can't be fixed then he'll have to open it up. He said it well could be that a portion of tissue is being caught on something, such as a piece of bone, and slowly bleeding. After he aspirated it, he patched it and his Ortho. Tech. wrapped it with 2 ace bandages. I made the mistake of leaving the Ace's on all day and when I just took them off, that knee is so weak, I cannot walk. I'm using 1 crutch but I never did master them, and I can't seem to find my cane. I imagine this will disappear and I'll be able to get around.
I just want this fixed and over .... I'm tired.
abby
 
Sorry to be back so soon .... I look around here and I have so much to do .... things I've neglected .... just lots of little things .... empty dishwasher, fill it again with a sinkful of dirty dishes, fold several weeks of laundry, wash more laundry, vacuum up the animal hair and take care of my dog and 2 cats. I just have so much trouble getting anything done with this pain. Walking my dog is a nightmare. It's tough living alone.
abby
 
Abby,

I feel for you. Being alone is so very hard.
I have not had my knee replacement yet but have been following your thread and I can so relate to you.

I lost my 90 lb dalmatian companion almost 6 months ago. She was my best friend. Her name was Abby (Abstract). A few weeks back when my son and his girlfriend went on vacation I babysat my granddog and my pain was so severe at that time it was, as you say, a nightmare to walk him. I know it was not fair to him and he did not get as many walks as he should have. I was in tears when it was time to walk him. I also let my apartment go. It was such a cluttered mess. I got a cortisone shot and I can now at least keep up a little bit.
I am praying for you and I know its going to be okay for you. Just hang in there.
Pam
 
Abby,

I'm sorry to hear you are still in so much pain but relieved to hear it is not an infection! By the way MRSA is not a death sentence. Had it 8 times, and I am not only living, I am thriving! :happydance:
 
Thank you to both of you. I just want this over. I feel like telling him to stop the slow and steady and just go in there - scope or otherwise - and fix it. He was quite surprised at all the blood he aspirated, that's why he thinks that a bone or something is getting caught on some tissue and causing a slow bleed. My knee looks like a football player. I'm calling Peapod, which is one of our grocery stores delivery service. You go on line and place your order and then they deliver it in a day or two. I have a girlfriend who is going to walk Molly (my dog) in the evenings. I'm grateful for that as I was actually considering finding her another home. I just can't be a good pet owner right now. Quite a day around here .... man below me was evicted, and a man next door committed suicide. And he has a 4th grade little boy ... the mother is dead. Very sad.

abby
 
Hi everyone .... yesterday evening my knee felt quite good, but today it's back to it's cranky ways again. I have not been able to find my cane .... I think I loaned it to someone but can't remember who. I call the doctor tomorrow to see what the results are of the blood he took from my knee are. Then I guess, he does a bone scan and goes in with a scope. I hope he can fix it that way instead of opening the whole thing up again. Admittedly, I'm quite discouraged.
abby
 
Is he going to do a 3 phase bone scan? If he is, he will find the answers and the scoping will be less invasive. I will be praying for you!
 
Hi R.A. ....... I honestly don't know .... he didn't say. What is a 3-phase bone scan?
abby
 
A 3 phase bone scan involves pulling out some of your blood, putting stuff in it to make it glow when it is reinjected, and then put it back in. It will go to any areas that need a second look! :)
 
Thanks R.A. for letting me know. Is it nuclear "stuff" (technical word there!) that they put in? I know this is whining and I think it would be a lot easier if I had any family around, but sometimes this "aloneness" combined with the pain ...... well, I am very discouraged. I'm sorry to be a whiner. I think this horrible pain is just doing me in. Today, I also had a pain going down my leg, right from the area where part of the swelling is .... makes me wonder if there's a nerve involved.
Anyhow, thank you all so very much for everything .... you've put up with a lot from me. My Dr. is going to call me tomorrow to let me know how the recent blood test turned out ... using the blood he aspirated. I guess then we go from there.
Again, thank you all. :angel:
abby
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Well, if he does the 3 phase bone scan yes, it is "nuclear" stuff. It makes you glow inside for a little while, but it is a very minor dose of radiation. I am going to see if I can upload my 3 phase bone scan to show you as an example. Don't worry. Mine lit up like a Christmas Tree when it was done 2 + years ago because of the MRSA. Yours will look different. :)
 
R.A. ....oooooo, that's just plain creepy .... a Christmas tree, huh?
I just want him to go in there and do whatever needs to be done. My entire favorite season, summer, is all but gone, and now we're entering Fall and Winter .... YUK! Walking my dog is awful because I have to go down a flight of steps and back up since I'm on the 2nd floor of my condo building. I had thought of having her rehomed, but I can't do that. She's had a rough life before I got her - she was one of the female breeders in a puppy mill for 4 years. She knows I don't feel good, and she just sits aside of me and puts her head on my lap. So I have one dog aside of me with her head on my lap, one cat behind me on the back of the chair, and another cat aside of me on the arm of a chair. Why in the world should I feel alone?
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom