TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I've been away too long .... my post seemed to be missed. I was going to start another thread and repost my previous post, but couldn't figure out how.
abby
 
Did you get new orthodics after your surgery? My old ones made my feet and knee hurt since I no longer needed the correction. Also, I hope you got new shoes since the old ones are at war with your new knee and have the old wear patterns in them.

So, I did not need orthodics after my knee surgery. If you do, you should be checked to see if your gait is different.

I would go to see the doc and find out why your knee is still warm after 2 years. I think you need some expert advice.
 
Thanks so much skigirl .... I tried something today. I usually run around barefooted in the house, and this time of year I wear sandals outside .... Orthoheel has some that are for people who pronate. Last night I slept with BioFreeze on my knee and my knee wrapped up, got up this AM and immediately took 1 Aleve, and wore shoes my orthotics fit in ... not too many I'm afraid. My knee has felt much, much, better today. Now whether it's the Aleve, the orthotics, or a combination, I'm happy about it. I'll keep doing this, but if it doesn't stay like it is right now, I definitely will go see my doctor.
abby
 
Abby, both my husband and I wear Crocs as house shoes. I because they are "springy" and help with painful knees and my husband because his orthodics fit into them. I have found some of them at TJ Maxx for quite a reasonable amount. I have been down the orthodic road and was delighted after my surgery when the pt told me that I did not need them anymore. I love my new little flats!! Kelly
 
Sounds like a plan, amber. My knee gets achy--my doc thinks it's the soft tissue, not the knee--but it doesn't get warm. Ever since I had the plantar fasciitis i've had orthotics. It was definitely recommended not to run around the house barefoot. Bummer, but I do notice if I walk around too much without shoes I pay for it.
 
Hi kneeper .... yes, and I'm a chronic barefoot-er ... always have been. I guess that has to change. Today, as soon as I got up, I've been wearing either my Orthoheels or my Birki's with my orthotics in them, and again my knee has been fine. I also took 1 Aleve. If this running barefoot is the source of my difficulty, why in the world don't the doctors or nurses tell you not to go barefoot. When I've been in the house I never have either shoes or socks on ... just barefooted. Well, that's changed. I'll stop taking 1 Aleve a day in about 5 more days and then see how things go. I do wonder what else we don't know that we may be doing that we shouldn't and is causing unnecessary pain.
Great to hear from you kneeper .... I appreciate this new information. I would have never thought about that. I probably just should have looked at my foot when it was on a flat surface because you can see the slight pronation of the right foot. That sure can't be helpful.
Thanks so much for writing to me.
abby
 
Hi! I have the same affliction - I love to be barefooted! I find that even the good isotoner slippers with the rubber soles are good around the house - even on tile! Every day that I pretend it's ok to go barefooted I suffer later with a sore knee (and sore soles!). Good luck!
:)
 
skigrl .... I took your advice and just ordered myself a pair of Crocs. I got the regular type, in blue, and they're lined with white fuzzy soft stuff. I got them because we're heading into Fall, then winter. I got a 10 so that there will be room for my orthotics .... I usually wear a 9 and I find that I need to go up a size for the orthotics to fit.
Thanks for the advice. I'm anxious to try them.
abby
 
Hi Micha .... I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this! Somehow, it never occurred to me that running around barefoot could possibly be the problem. If I'd have just looked down at my feet, it's pretty obvious they both pronate. I probably wore the orthotics about every 2-3 weeks, and then just for maybe one day. Brilliant, huh? I also ordered a pair of Crocs like skigrl suggested. I got a size bigger so my orthotics would fit inside. Sounds like they're good for around the house.
Guess I've learned a good lesson. I'm still surprised they don't tell us things like this after the surgery. Makes me wonder what else I'm doing that I shouldn't be. :spin:
Take care,
abby
 
You may not need an extra size---they are so roomy. I have skinny feet---wish I had skinny hips instead!!!

We love our crocs and I find that I like them better than going barefoot since I always seem to step on a stone!! Let me know if they work for you.
 
Well, I called my doctor today about my knee. It's been hurting for over a year, but this week it got markedly worse. They got me in with him on Monday the 19th at 11 AM .... that was a shock because usually you have to wait weeks. I'm getting up in the morning, immediately taking 1 Aleve, rubbing it with Biofreeze, and keeping it wrapped til I go to bed. I was not at all nervous when I initially had this done, but for some reason, I'm really scared this time. I doubt it's an infection because about a month ago I had a sinus infection and took antibiotic, and then right after that I got that nasty parasite from lettuce ... cephalosporiasis, and once again took antibiotic, so it's hard to imagine it's an infection.
Forgive me for whining, but I feel very alone and scared.
abby
 
SOMETHING JUST OCCURRED TO ME! I have a feeling I "may" know why this is increasingly hurting more and more. I have a slight bit of difficulty with balance, and about a year ago, or maybe a little longer, I fell in my kitchen ... flat on both knees. Now I'm wondering if that fall broke the replacement away from the attachment material. That would also explain why the pain, while always there, is at different places at different times. It seems that fall could have done that.
I don't know, but maybe. It makes sense to me anyhow.
abby
 
Abby,

It is hard to tell what it "could" be. I am glad you are seeing your OS though on Monday, because after x-rays he can help put some of your fears to rest! I have fallen quite a few times in different positions, so I don't know your answer. Your doc will though. Good luck to you! :console2:
 
By the way, you aren't whining, and it's perfectly ok to worry! Please continue to post and keep us updated! We care about you! If you ever want to tag someone by the way, just use the @ and right after that type RestAssured and my name will turn blue! That will alert me that you need me. Tag me anytime! I am checking the boards at least twice a day! :friends:
 
amberpep,

I went back and read in your thread about crocs and orthothotics! My OS told me after the second knee was finished that
I no longer needed them! I found out when they were doing the 3 phase bone scan that the front of my feet are riddled with arthritis. I bought some new tennis shoes that are heavenly on joints! They are called gravity defyer s! :wink:
 
Rest Assured .... thank you so much for the helpful information .... I really do appreciate it. I will be SO glad to get in there and find out what's going on. It's giving me fits and I'm living on Advil alternating with Excedrin.
Well, I see him Monday and I hope he's able to make a determination of what we're looking at. If a "revision" then let's do it ASAP
 
Well, I was awake half the night worrying about the possibility of a "revision." I just have a strong feeling that fall in my kitchen on my knees jarred it and broke something away from the cement. I've heard that revisions "aren't as good as the first time," you never quite recover as well" blah, blah, blah. I got up this AM worried to death. I so much don't want to go through all that again, since I live alone. I refuse to go to a rehab. facility this time since my last experience was so horrific, so I'll come right home.
Anyhow, thanks for listening to a crazy old lady.
abby
 
Actually if you read the article I left on the thread you wanted Jamie to tag me, you will see that Dr. Maale has changed thinking about revisions! :happydance:

I have lost count of how many times I have pressed my limit and did something silly and fallen, but my knee is amazing! It just takes care of itself when an ornery Sonja wants to do things carelessly! By the way, I can get up on my own too! :happydance:

Actually, here is the article! Enjoy the news!
broken link removed: https://media.baylorhealth.com/channels/News-Releases/releases/changing-the-way-surgeons-view-revision-hinged-knee-replacement
 
Rest Assured - Hi ..... I put a note on the bottom of your thread. I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to follow it. But I'm delighted you're doing so well.
abby
<*)))><
:yay:
 
I am SO thankful I'm going to see my OS on Monday .... I don't think I could take much more of this. I know that sounds like a wus, but this is worse than after my TKR. It's been hurting for about a year - it was bearable; then I fell on my knees and it definitely made it worse but still bearable. But it progressively got worse until about 3-4 weeks ago I found myself taking 3-4 Advil at a time. And then Wednesday at the store when that whole top area just erupted in sharp pain .... well, since then I cannot get comfortable without pain med (Advil, Excedrin) and an ice pack. My knee is so swollen that it's almost twice the size of the other one. If I am in one position for too long, well, it's awful. I just thank God I got an appointment so quickly. I must admit I'm worried.
abby
<*)))><
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom