TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abby,

I will be praying for you! Thank you for your kind post on my thread! Yes, I am doing very well! I am at our cabin and taking a break from school, PT and such until Thursday! My hubby and I are going to little towns around here to go "curio" shopping! His idea. So, I waited for other shoe to fall, an heard the magic words, they are having a Polaris sale this week! Yep, I knew he had anterior motives, but I don't mind! He is great to me! :happydance:
 
Oh R.A. how I envy you ..... I love cabins .... when everyone was home - the 3 kids and my now-X .... we'd rent a cabin in far western North Carolina and whitewater raft. Loved it.
Have a wonderful time.
abby
<*)))><
 
Yes, we bought this cabin 4 months ago. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, and the loft is the master bedroom. I love it!
 
Hi! I've been reading the Mayo Clinic Website about this, and I have a very strong feeling that what's going on just may be fluid in my knee. There are 3 areas which have noticeable lumps, and the whole knee is very swollen and big. Also, my calf is bigger than the other one. I'm thinking this is what it is, in which case, I imagine he will want to draw it out. I had that done once before, pre-surgery, and it wasn't too bad. If that's what it is, then halleluia!! But, I'll have to wait and see til tomorrow.
abby
<*)))><
 
Abby,

I hope that's the case and that would be a simple solution!

Now, instead of looking for answers, is that your dog in the picture? If so, spend some time cuddling with her and you will forget some of your troubles til tomorrow! :)
 
Hi there .... yes, I hope that's what it is. Yea, that's my Molly. She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and I got her through a rescue group who rescued her from a puppy mill. She was one of the female "breeder dogs" and my Vet estimates she had probably 5 litters in her 4 years. When I got her she was such a sad and scared little thing .... she was afraid of grass, she didn't know how to go up and down steps so I had to teach her, everytime you walked by her she thought you were going to hit her, and she still doesn't like you to fool with her feet. But, she's become a happy little, bouncy, pal with big soulful eyes. She's six now and loves women, but until she trusts men, she hides behind me. I imagine men were the ones that dealt with the dogs at the puppy mill, which sadly, most of them in PA are owned and run by the Amish. They don't see animals as we do .... they're purely functional, not pets. All the animals you see in cages in Pet Stores come from puppy mills and are often sickly. She's just my little love .... sort of a "velcro dog." I know this forum is for our knees, but since you asked, I couldn't help but tell you about her. :puppysmooze:
abby
 
My two girls Brandy and Myra are my love bugs! When I am sad, they sense it, and are on my lap immediately! Myra the short hair is more of her daddy's dog, and Brandy is definitely mine! Now when I am busy, Brandy will jump up with Daddy! As far as this being a knees forum; as you can tell by my thread, it is a life experiences forum for some. The story of my knees.... Has been about SO much more than just my knees!

Of course if I wasn't so shy, everyone would know that!

:heehee:

I will be praying for a simple fix for you tomorrow! In the meantime, love that doggie of yours! She is adorable! :)
 
Best wishes for you doctor visit tomorrow, Abby. :flwrysmile:
Please let us know how you get on.

Caryl
 
Thank you both so much for your good wishes. I must admit, I'm a little apprehensive, but it is what it is. And, whatever has to be done, I want it done ASAP. I'm sure one of the first things he'll say is "why didn't you come in sooner?" Well, I thought it was typical! I'd never had a TKR before, so I had no way of knowing. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. I really hope I don't need a revision .... I live alone and two of my kids are 4-5 hours away and my son is about an hour away and very busy working in D.C. It's hard to try to plan things when there's no one around to pitch in. I'll keep you all updated.
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
amberpep I 'm a hip person who was just browsing by and saw your avatar. Is that your doggie? Is he/she a Bernese? He is gorgeous!! I love the Bernese -- I have labrador retrievers myself, though. Never seen a Bernese in a shelter. There's a woman up the street from me who has FOUR of them, and they are all gorgeous, and SOOO friendly and loving. If I'm not careful they will love me right down to the pavement, but I jsut love seeing them and interacting with them!

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi Butterfly .... No, she's not a Bernese, but my daughter and her husband have both a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Great Pyranese .... they raise llamas. My dog, Molly, is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We always joke that we wish we could get them to sit along side each other and be still (for a change) so we could get a picture of them. They look very much alike except for size. You're right, the Bernese and the Pyranese are absolute sweethearts, as is the Cavy.
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
I am soooo glad I'm going to the OS tomorrow. At night my knee absolutely aches so bad that nothing works .... not 4 Advil, ice, nothing. It only stops when I finally go to sleep. And the size of it is unbelievably huge at night. Whatever is going on with it, I'll be glad to have it fixed.
Night all .......
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Hi Friends .... Well, I saw my OS this morning, they x-rayed the knee and it appears that nothing has moved. But he said that the only way to be sure would be a bone scan (don't know if he meant an MRI or DEXA). He examined it, asked me a lot of questions and told me what it could be .... he's leaning toward infection. I'm going tomorrow morning for bloodwork, and depending what it shows, he'll do an aspiration of the fluid in my knee and test that. I said "couldn't we do the aspiration now?" He said that first we wanted to do a full blood test and go from there. He gave me an Rx for Vicodin for the pain and told me to try to stay off of it as much as I could, or use crutches. I have never gotten the hang of crutches.
My big concern is MRSA. I don't know what else he could be looking for other than that. I'm just plain scared.
abby
 
An addition to my post above ..... if it is an infection like MRSA, what do they do for that? Is there any other bacteria that is could be if it's not MRSA .... that is, if it's an infection.
Thanks much,
abby
 
Abby, MRSA is a cousin to staph. The difference is it is resistant to the "cillin" families as in Penecillin, axoxocillin etc. They have some very good iv antibotics they use to get rid of infections or to get them under control.

One thing that I learned from Dr. Maale was they treat the infection before they open the knee! He does a one-stage revision and I never had to mess with the spacer in my knee! :happydance:

Now, right now he doesn't know that it is an infection, what type of infection it could be or anything. Waiting is the hardest part... :console2:
 
Thanks Rest Assured ... why do they have to go into the knee if they can treat the infection? Do you get an IV drip in the hospital? Do they keep you there? Do they totally replace the knee? (I'm very full of questions tonight!).
Thanks very much for any info. you can give to me.
Bless you,
abby
 
Abby,

First, they should NOT go into the knee if it is infected right now. They will use iv antibotics to get it under control, and check your CRP or c reactive protein markers and your SED rate. If those are high, above 20 usually, they will start you on iv antibotics! Then, I would start looking for a revisionist! Not the one who put in the original knee, nor anyone who knows him. Just suggestions. I am hoping we are just talking what ifs
 
Abby, I am so sorry to hear your bad news and to also see the worry in your post. Of course, I would be too---just that word---infection ===sounds so ominous. After the blood tests, they will have a better idea if you have an infection in your knee. Most of them are staph infections---no one is exactly sure how they start in the knee when it has been a year or so since your surgery. I will tag Josephine too, she will be able to offer you more practical advice too.

I know that I would be driving myself crazy right now with "what ifs" but try to keep yourself somewhat sane since I think Sonja is right and you will need a specialist to help you with both the cure of the infection and the revision that might be necessary.
 
Abby,

Of course you know that I will be here for you no matter what they say! I am sorry that you are going through so much, especially the possibility of a late onset infection! No matter what though, you can lean on me for any advice you need to hear to reassure you about infections, revisions and such. Been there, Done that, and am out living life again! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom