TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there ... well, I heard from my doctor about an hour ago, and he's going to scope out my knee, hoping to repair the bleeding that way rather than have to open up the incision from the TKR. He wants it done ASAP - next week or the following since he drew out so much blood on Monday. I have a girlfriend who is going to take me and bring me home, and I've asked my son if he would take Molly (my dog). He said his Nurse will call me and set up the day and time.
I'll be so glad to get this fixed.
abby
 
I know I'm being impatient, but it's 1 PM and I have not heard anything yet from my Dr.'s nurse about when for the scoping. With Monday being a holiday, that would mean I wouldn't hear anything til Tuesday. Would I be pushy if I called? Please give me your thoughts on that.
abby
 
Abby,
If it were me I would be on the phone with them ASAP so you get your answer today and not have to wait thru the holiday, and take the chance of being forgotten.
 
Thanks karmigirl ..... I did call and they told me that she was out until Tuesday. But, then I actually got an e-mail from her telling me she'd be back Tuesday and she'd be sure to call me then .... a nice surprise.
I think knowing this is bleeding in there sort of gives me that "push."
abby
 
Forgive me for whining, but this knee has been killing me today. It has ached all day and when I walk it really hurts. He wants to get me in next week or the week after to see if he can stop the bleeding by scoping it. If he can't do it that way, he will have to open the knee again. Whatever it takes, let's do it!
Thanks for listening.
abby
 
This has been a very loooooong weekend ..... it's Labor Day and I've gone nowhere. I didn't even go to church, because we have a very old church with very short seats ... not good for a person with long legs, especially with this knee. I've tried sitting with my leg up on the sofa or bed most of the day except for a few things I did ... laundry and dishes and walking my dog. I did call the 24/7 Rx line for my insurance and asked them about the Vicodin situation. My doctor Rx-d 30 tablets with 1 refill and because of some new insurance rule the pharmacy would only allow me 15. So I asked the gentleman and he said that because Vicodin is a narcotic and often abused, it needs pre-authorization from the Physician in order to have the full Rx. This was not the same when I had my RTKR, so that's a change. I understand why they're doing that, but it's just another hoop to jump through for everyone.
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Well, I'm all set up. I'm having the scoping done next Tuesday, Sept. 10 at one of our hospitals. The hospital is just in case he has to open the incision for the TKR again to repair the bleeding. So, now starts the running around ... dentist tomorrow (lost a giant filling today), Thurs. I get a pre-op. checkup with my Internist, plus an EKG, this weekend my son is coming to pick up my dog since I won't be able to do the steps with her for awhile. I don't know how long he'll have her .... depends on what my OS has to do I guess. I'm anticipating leaving that day .... I hope I'm right.
I just want this done ASAP. It hurts so badly I have trouble with steps, getting in and out of the car, and just walking around my condo. I use ice, take 4 Tylenol at a time, maybe 1 Vicodin sometime during the day, but I try to avoid them. I'm just ready to go!
abby
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Well at least your moving along. Good luck. I bet you'll be running around pain free very soon.:yahoo: Prayers are with you. I was reading the problem you are having with the pain pills. :sigh: I get 90 vicodin a month (with two refills) whether I need them or not so I have hoarded them as I never take that many and in the event I have a problem with pain meds after surgery I have plenty to see me through. With all the problems there are with pain medication now that is a big fear of mine. :yikes: I hope you talk to your primary care doc about that situation.
 
Well, I'm off to the dentist today. Yesterday I broke off a giant piece of tooth and filling in a front tooth! I look like Turtleman on Animal Planet .... cute. I don't know what he'll do. But, I'm too tired to think about it. All I want to do is sleep. This pain and swelling has me worn out.
abby
 
Completely exhausting day ... I am so ready to have him fix this knee. I can't bend it to get in and out of the car, walk up or down steps, and even getting out of a chair. Guess I'm just weary.
abby
 
Well, it's Friday and today is somewhat better. The sun is out and that means the barometric pressure is up and that always helps. My son is coming tomorrow and taking my dog to his house, and if I come home that day as planned, I can take care of my cats. If I don't come right home, I'll have to deal with that some other way.
My 42 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis .... we were joking the other day that we make a good pair! Guess you never stop being a mother because I wish I could go down a help her.
My insurance is the one that puts the restrictions on the narcotic meds. Before I dan get a larger amount, it has to be pre-approved to the Pharmacy by my doctor. This is one of the many new procedures from my insurance company. Sounds like great fun is on the way! NOT!
I'll be back .... thanks for being there!
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Hugs to you and your daughter.
 
Well, Tuesday I finally get the bleeding in this knee fixed. He "thinks" he can do it using a scope but won't know til he gets in there with it. If not, then it's back to the incision. My son is taking my dog tomorrow and my two cats will be fine here with me .... they're basically "clean and feed" and I can do that. Now if I have to have a bigger incision, then I'll figure something else to do about them.
I'm probably just having a pity party, but does anyone else ever feel like no one around them (family, church, neighbors) gives a hoot? I do. It's depressing.
And, it doesn't help that the "cold season" is on the way ....love summer and hate winter. My 42 year old daughter has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (think I told you all that before) and I feel like I should do something .... guess you never stop "mothering" no matter how old they get.
Anyhow, that's the deal, and I'm sooooo sorry for whining. I apologize for that.
abby
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Yes, Abby I feel like that sometimes but I try to focus on all the things I'm really grateful for. Also, my primary care doc put me on an anti depressant when all of this surgery anxiety started. You might want to look into that. It has really made a huge difference for me.
Hang in there. :)
 
Hi Crystal .... thanks so much for responding. Actually about 10 years ago, in the midst of getting a divorce after a 40-year marriage, I had a breakdown. Strange as it sounds, it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me as it got me the help I needed after years of abuse. So, I am on several meds. and feel so much better between them and the therapy. I know it's hard to believe, but I literally, except for my 3 kids and their families, there is no one else ... I was an only child and my parents were only children, and everyone is long gone. It's a peculiar situation. I do have friends, but only one or two really close ones.
Anyhow, thanks for responding ..... I hope things are going well for you ..... take care of those knees!
abby
 
Well, the surgery to find where the bleeding is coming from and stop it is on Tuesday. Hopefully he can just scope it and not have to open up the incision. It is really hurting now .... it woke me up this morning about 2 and it hurt so much I had to get up to take a Vicodin .... and, I just feel awful today ..... sort of all over. I think this constant pain is just getting to me and I don't even want to think about what to have for dinner. I don't feel like putting on my pj's or folding my wash. But, I will. I just want this over.
When I had my RTKR I wore shorts so it was easy when I left the hospital to get dressed. It's cooler now and I'm not sure quite what to wear .... capris or a casual Fresh Produce over the head dress.
Thanks for listening .....
abby
 
Hi Abby. Wow you seem to be going thru it dont you. I think trying to cope after any major op is bad but when you're basically on your own it does get to you.mjust caught up with your thread and so sorry to hear you have to go back in for more surgery. Lets hope the scope is successful. Many many times since my op I have felt like I was on my own. Not many people realise how big an op it is. And even if youve got family around you they still don't understand. I really hope things work out for you and will keep an eye out for your posts to see how you Are getting on. Take care. Sending hugs your way. X
 
robynhood ... you don't know how much I needed an understanding voice just now. My son is picking up my dog tonight at 6:30 PM, I'm trying to finish the laundry, change my sheets, and get everything cleaned up before Tuesday. I have to go to the store tomorrow to get some Lean Cuisines for meals afterwards. I feel like such a whiner ... but the whole summer has been flushed, I've been alone, and I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. The closest of my kids is my son, 1 hour away. My other 2 live 4-5 hours away and other than my 3 kids, there is no one. Interestingly enough, I go to a small church, and while it's very friendly when you're there, there is no offer of help in any form. I've decided that when I'm up to par again, I'm going to put an end to that. I plan to start a ministry of help to those who are sick, or homebound for whatever reason .... for meals, laundry, cleaning, whatever they need. This is ridiculous that a church doesn't do this ... I guess you learn from things like this the things that are needed and then you need to jump in. (sorry about the tangent)
Anyhow, Tuesday I'll have the surgery, hopefully just the scoping, and then I think I'll look around for another place to live.......maybe a retirement community. It's hard to find one that I can afford, but I'm sure they're out there. Both my girls want me to move down where they are, but my X lives down there, as does my sil's mother. They're rather surrounded and I don't really want to be part of the cluster.
I better stop babbling. Thank you again for writing. And, I do apologize for whining .... that's not usually my way, but somehow I think I've had enough. :thankyou:
abby
 
QUESTION ..... What is the difference between Vicodin 5-350 and 5-500? I'm sure it's something to do with the strength but why the 2 numbers?
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom