TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Patricia ...... It was good to see your name pop up today ..... it's raining and making my knees complain very loudly. I took 2 aspirin before I went to church and they didn't even help! I sat through the whole thing - no standing today. Abby .... i.e. Barb ...... well, now I've been found out. :yikes: I'm only on 2 forums .... this one and one other, and I use Abby as my screen name. My real name is Barbara ellen. Interestingly enough my mother wanted to name me Abigail Allen in deference to my Scottish roots, but my Dad sat on that real quick. I love the name Abby and wish she'd stuck to it.
Gosh, your BP was really high today ..... I hope your GP is able to quickly help you with that. Over here, that would put us in the hospital until they got it down.
I am just like you when it comes to delegating jobs. When my 3 kids were young and at home, whenever they did a chore, you'd have thought I was sticking them with needles! Oh, the moaning and groaning ..... awful.
Since I live alone now - I've been divorced for 8 years after a 40-year marriage - I don't do any decorating at all. My kids don't come here - I go there since two of them are 4 hours away and my son lives right outside of Washington D.C., about 50 min. away. I see him the most. I've got a wee little artificial tree (12") that my daughter gave me, which I sit on my counter.
Guess I'd better go to bed .... morning starts at 5:30 AM when my dog decides "it's time to get up!" Take care my friend.
(Barb)
 
Hi Abby, I will still call you that as you like it. Well my visit to the GP didnt go very well. She basically told me I was stupid for taking iburofen as of course it can cause swelling of the ankles and high BP. I told her I was taking it for swelling to my knee after my op as advised by my OS. O that swelling will go down soon she said. Charming. O well I did get her to change my painkillers to codeine and parcetamol which i dont know wil be any better than my co codamol. Sorry to hear of your divorce. Its always hard. I got divorced after ten years of marriage had my three boys. Then got married again four years later and had three girls. Ive been married this time for 23 years. Still happy and love my family life. It gets hectic at times like ive said but I wouldnt change it. My knees have been quite good today but then I have been very good today icing and taking it easy. I needed it after the weekend I had. Do you really get up at 5.30. wow far too early for me. Stay well and take care x:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Patricia ..... I'm glad you got to see your GP today. I didn't realize that ibuprofen could cause swelling of the ankles and make your BP go even higher. I'd not heard that before. Sounds like you've done well this time around with your marriage. I'm delighted for you Patricia. I like to hear good stories like that.. For me, after 40 years, I'm totally done. I thoroughly enjoy my independence and the freedom to make my own choices and decisions .... something I never had before. If I'm invited out somewhere by a man, I refuse. I am just not interested. So, you're very fortunate indeed.
Yes, I do get up at 5:30 ..... usually around then my dog begins to let me know that "it's time!" She sleeps in a crate at night and I can hear her rattling around in there and then she'll start to whine. I don't really mind because I'm an early-to-bed person too, so it all works out. She and I are usually out going for our morning walk by 6 or so. I love mornings and by about 5 PM or so, I begin to fell the night-time drowsys creeping in.
What did your doctor do for your blood pressure? Do you notice anything when your BP goes up real high? Are the new painkillers helping? I really hope so. That gets very tiresome after awhile. My knees today were great ..... it was a warm, Spring-like day, so they were happy. But here in Maryland, the weather changes almost overnight. It can be 70 one day and the next day be 30 and windy. Our winters our very strange like that. Also, we often get ice storms. I'd much rather snow. I live in a condo so at least I don't have to shovel the sidewalk and they plow the streets. Only thing I have to do is shovel my car out. I have a Toyota 4-Runner, so I can often put it in 4 wheel drive and just go. Love it.
Well, my friend ...... time to change and get ready for bed. It's great chatting with you.

Take care and rest that knee .... it's not been very long for you so keep being nice to it and to yourself. :puppysmooze::kittykiss::kittykiss:
 
my GP basically told me I was stupid for taking iburofen as of course it can cause swelling of the ankles and high BP. I told her I was taking it for swelling to my knee after my op as advised by my OS. O that swelling will go down soon she said.
And she is perfectly correct. I have said many times on here that the kind of swelling you get in a knee post op is not the kind you should take anti-inflammatories for. For that you need the BoneSmart Mantra, not pills. And yes, it can also cause swelling and elevated blood pressure, but few people want to hear about that. So many people fall for the advertising hype that ibuprofen/diclofenac are 'very effective' pain killers for almost every pain you can mention.

There was a documentary done on BBCtv a few months ago highlighting this very thing and pointing out that while manufacturers bring out tablets that purport to deal specifically with period pains, head aches, back pain, shoulder pain, et., etc., they are all just hype because the medication does not just go to that one area, it disseminates throughout the entire body. So people are paying hugely for a myth! There are places for NSAIDs in cases of mild pain but paracetamol is about 40% stronger than most NSAIDs, even diclofenac but together, they do make a great and very effective cocktail.
I did get her to change my painkillers to codeine and paracetamol which i dont know wil be any better than my co codamol.
Actually co-docamol IS codeine and paracetamol! But it's usually 8mg with 500mg of each. If you have them separately, you can take 1-2 codeine with the usual paracetamol which is 30 or 60 gms - much more effective. But do be sure you have stool softeners on hand! Codeine is a beast for causing constipation!
 
well now im even more confused. Paracetamol and iburofen are the Bonesmart cocktail so why do you advise that if iburofen is not suitable for our sort of pain. Josephine;
 
Alone, NSAIDs are really only sufficient for mild to moderate pain and so completely unsuitable for the early days when pain is severe. The ibuprofen is just a supplement to the paracetamolin the cocktail which is intended for later in recovery when narcotics are no longer required. .
 
I just noticed that this is Amberpep's thread. Don't you have a recovery thread of your own to post these questions in?
 
Josephine; Yes i did put a post on my own thread Onward and Upwards my journey continues yesterday but didnt get a response so when you replied in my post to Abby I thought I would answer you on that thread.
 
So sorry for taking over your thread Abby. I didnt mean to. Hope you are well. Ive had a really bad day today so will leave talking to you until Im feeling better. Take care.
 
@robynhood; I have moved your post into your own thread.
 
Hi Abby not heard from you for a while hope things are ok with you x
 
Hi Abby, Been such a long time since Ive seen your name pop up so thought I would drop by and say HHi Hope youre Ok. Are you all organized for Christmas or like most of us on here finding it a bind this year. Soon be over then we will be in 2013 and hopefully new year new knee with lots of healing. Be nice to hear from you. :tree-miley: :santawave: :santa-wave:
 
Hi Abby. Dont know if you are still watching your posts on here. I have noticed you havent been posting for a very long time. I hope you are ok and progressing well. It would be lovely to hear from you. I miss our chats on here.
 
Hi robynhood ..... it was good to hear from you. No, I have not been around too much .... there's so much going on around here that it's a bit overwhelming. And, my kids want me to move where they are. Don't know about that. :shrug:
My knee, I guess, is doing as good as it will. It's very cranky a lot of the times. Not in the center where the new joint is, but on the sides ..... sort of like it's the tendons or ligaments or nerves or something. I have one spot, about the size of a 50 piece (do they still make them?) that still has no feeling. I have trouble getting up out of a chair without pushing with my arms, and getting up off the toilet. I've even thought of putting the raised seat back on it, but I feel like that's admitting defeat! And, then there's my left knee .... that one is giving me fits - I know some day that will need to be replaced too, but if they both feel this way afterwards, gosh it sort of scares me. I honestly don't know what's going on .... admittedly I'm quite discouraged. :sick:
Thanks for writing to me.
abby
 
Thank you both for that site ..... I'm going to go to it and bookmark it and start them right away. It sure would be a relief if that would take care of it.
Again, many thanks. :flwrysmile:
abby
 
Hi again! I've been looking at the quad exercises, but I need some for not just right after surgery. I was thinking of the wall slide, and also doing it similarly with a chair. Otherwise, what do you all suggest?
Many thanks ....
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
My Pt gave me a home program. You hook a theraband around a table leg or something and pull it back from a sitting position. Also heel lifts, standing on one leg you get up on your toes and down again. you have to be able to steady yourself, kitchen counter is good. good old leg lifts on your back with 2 pound weights on each ankle, one leg is up with foot flat on surface and then you do straight leg lifts. everything is usually 3 sets of 10. Also do steps, not climbing stairs but you go up one step and back down then up and back down. one thing that is super for quads but I don't have carpet so i can't do it at home....you sit in a rolling chair and you scoot forward one leg at a time on the carpet. Its great for quads. then of course you can add tension to the stationary bike to build quads.
That's about all I can think of right now.
Marianne
 
Thanks so much Brownie ..... I wish my P.T. had warned me of this and given me some exercises to strengthen the quads. I went on line last night also and picked up several on there also. Together with the ones you gave me, I should be able to get rid of this pain. I am so thankful it's something I can correct and not some weird thing with my knee.
I hope you're doing well ..... this is some journey, isn't it?
Take care ... abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom