TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, I'm not sure what I missed because of the language issue - my French is pretty good but once the discussion slides into 'technical' vocabulary, I can get lost. And maybe I wasn't given info. because there was an assumption I wouldn't understand it. But I don't think I missed a lot of info. from the medical crew. All the hospital staff, including my surgeon, commented that I asked a lot of questions and the physio has said, several times, that I ask many more questions her French clients. My own read of the culture, at least in this rural, traditional area, is that people don't question medical experts and that they don't expect to be actively involved in their care.

My surgeon, a lovely and very well-regarded man (and I'd go to him again if the other knee needs doing), spoke as if the surgery was perfectly straightforward and I shouldn't worry. Which was very reassuring but was, perhaps, economical with the truth.

On the plus side, the medical care has been great. Eight days in hospital is standard protocol, with plenty of attentive nursing, medical and physiotherapy care. Ambulance home, as my surgeon doesn't like the risk of damage while travelling. My GP arrived for a visit less than hour after I got home, to check that everything was ok and to write prescriptions for drugs, home nursing care etc. The nurse came every evening for 30 days to give me an anti-coagulant injection, check the wound and dressing, and take out the staples. The physio came five times a week for four weeks for 20 - 30 minutes of home exercise. I had an additional prescription for an extra 20 sessions of physio. Of course, I pay for it via taxes but my only direct contribution was for my room, as I chose to have a private room. Total cost, according to my statement, was 8,000 euros of which I paid 700 euros.

I work from home, but generally people aren't expected back at work for three months (or more, if they are struggling).

I know many people in the US are sceptical of state-managed health care but I find it difficult to criticise when it works as well as this.

Sue
 
That amount of care you received is unheard of here, even when you have super insurance. None of the surgeons I talked to mentioned the pain. The only way I had an inkling it was going to get ugly was from other people who had a replacement. I had gentle PT's at home and now in out-patient so it hasn't been excruciating for me. I continue to progress so I agree with BoneSmarties that PT does not have to be painful to be therapeutic. I think your experience in France has been lovely and I'm happy it has worked out for you!
 
Well, here I am, back again. Today both knees are hurting, so it must be going to rain or snow - something is coming. When I stand up from a chair or my bed, with the both of them hurting, I remind me of my former mother in law. At the time I thought she was just being dramatic and wanting attention, but now I don't think so. She truly was hurting.
I do not want to in to my Orthopedist until I can't stand the pain in the left one anymore - that's the non-TKR one. If he x-rays it, it may be nothing ..... just sympathetic pains for the other one. Ya' think? I don't want to have anything done til Spring. I had my last one done in May and it worked out perfectly. I didn't have to think about snow, I could wear shorts and t-shirts and bare feet or sandals .... so much easier than the pile of winter clothing I need to wear .... YUK. Anyhow, just another day I guess. I guess today I'm just weary. Thanks for listening.
 
Hi Abby Well that's the same thing here with the fired up "good" knee/both knees miserable this am. I'm the opposite, wanted my doctor to start the process for my good knee. But your point that a TKR easier to deal with in warm weather is well taken. My doctor thinks that is what is going on with my good one, that it's from compensating for the worse knee, before and after TKR. And he says that usually it will be better after the TKR. But another OS told me that my good knee was right behind my other knee in needing to be replaced...that that is common after you get one done.
I hope you feel better later today. Hang in there Abby!
 
Wow Abby you did receive some extensive care in France didnt you. I dont know about the 8 day stay in hospital tho. I was ready to go home on the third day. Although I was in a private hospital I was a NHS patient so I did enjoy my private room and a high level of care. I am also like you and know my other knee will need doing in the future but hopefully not before a year as I would like to get to know my new knee first. I am going for my six week check tomorrow when we will discuss it. O Joy. Hope you 'good' knee starts behaving itself and you continue your good recovery.
 
Brownie51 - yes, that's what my doctor told me too. He said that for so long my left knee had been compensating for the right one, that now it's as if it's screaming "NOOOOO MORE." I'll wait til the weather warms up and then make the trek down to see him. I mentioned this in one of my other posts, but I just wish my kids understood that I just cannot do everything I used to. One of them does, but the other 2 don't. It makes it hard, like for Thanksgiving. I live 4 hours away from them, and I had to decide whether to go down for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Driving that long, even with getting out and walking around, just makes my knees ache. So, I picked Christmas. You'd have thought I said I was never coming down again! Holy Cow! All I heard was "please Mom, why not Mom, you're fine Mom." Well, Mom is getting older and along with that come a few glitches along the way. I know they love me and want me there, but geesh .... they need to do some reading about TKR.
Robynhood .... I think you've got me mixed up with someone else. I wasn't in France ..... I was right here in Maryland, USA.
 
So sorry Abby, I was reading the post from Sue in your thread. Apologies. Sending you off to France when you most probably love Maryland. x
 
robynhood .... Love Maryland? Well .... it's where I've lived since 1971 and it's comfortable, but love it? That's another story. We came from Lancaster, Pennsylvania ..... now that's a place I do love. I thought, when we moved down here that we'd be here maybe 2-3 years ..... well, you can see how that turned out. Now I'm still here, and the rest of my family, both girls and their families, and my X live 4 hours away. My son lives about an hour away in Alexandria Virginia. My girls are pressuring me to move down there, but after 40 years here, the only place I'd ever move would be somewhere much warmer than here. It's cold now and the older I get, the less I like it.
Good to chat with you robynhood.
 
Im with you on that one Abby. I would love to live somewhere warmer. You defnitley notice the weather changing dont you when you have arthritis. Its nice you have family around you, even tho they probably expect a little more than you can manage at the moment. If only our relatives could auctually see the op and what our poor knee went through perhaps they would be more sympathetic. I wouldnt like to see it tho. No thank you. I couldnt even look at my scar for days when the dressing came off. Had to do it in stages. I have six kids who are helping out at christmas especially my 3 girls and my four grand kids will make it an even better day. Lovely speaking to you and learn of your life in Maryland. I live in Cheshire UK maybe not as nice as Maryland but its home. Take Care.
 
Hi robynhood ..... well, my kids aren't really closeby. Both girls are 4 hours south of here; my son is the closest being 1 hour away. When I had my TKR my middle daughter and her husband came up for 3 days when I was in rehab ..... so sweet of them. They bought me a walker since no one had provided one at the facility, and everytime they came my daughter had purchased me a brand new shirt to pick up my "drugged" spirits. Also, the food was so bad in the rehab. facility that they literally brought me all my lunches and dinners. Because of the facility, my doctor got me out in 4 days and I came home. When I got home, my son came over every weekend and did the things that needed to be done and also got dinner for us. Now, as for my oldest daughter, she has just totally blown it off with comments like "oh, what are they going to do with the old one? Throw it away?" After the surgery, I didn't hear from her for 2 weeks - no card - nothing. She has not been up here for 3 years. I'm always expected to go there. Amazing how 3 kids are so totally different. Fortunately, I have a dear girlfriend in Pennsylvania who came down for a week, cooked, and was just available for everything. She took me to my first doctor's appt. She was a huge blessing.
I did watch the surgery on a video .... not mine of course, but an actual surgery on the internet. It is very complicated and messy, but wow - those doctors really have to know their stuff!
So, let's pack and move somewhere warm. Whatcha' say? T-shirts and shorts and capris sounds great to me, rather than what I have on now - t-shirt, sweats, winter coat, hat, mittens It's great to meet you as my maternal family were all Scotch and came over from Scotland and all resided in Nova Scotia.
Take care,
 
Now the picture of that lovely warm sunny place, relaxing in the sun, that has cheered me up so much. Like you im wrapped up warm today as its cold, raining and windy. My husband is a landscape gardner and hes finding it difficult working out in this weather but hes done it for so long he hardly notices it sometimes. I have got to go and put some ' going out ' clothes on as im going for my 6 week check later. Hoping everything will be ok. Im not using crutches and walking around the house fine but will take a cane with me today with the wet conditions outside. Just my luck to fall today of all days. Keep thinking of that lovely warm place and take care x
 
robynhood .... aaaaahhhhhhh ........ hear the ocean? smell the saltwater? feel the warm sand on your bare feet? hear the seagulls making their screeching noise? feel the warm sun on your back and face.
I'm packing. Going with me? :happydance:
abby
 
Meet you there Abby. I will be the one with a big grin and a swollen knee. Ready for relaxing. Cant wait.
 
robynhood ..... about a year ago I took a spill too. I fell over one of my cats in the kitchen and literally landed on my knees. I found out that these new knees are tough! Didn't hurt, no pain ..... lots of fear til I was sure I was OK, but otherwise, it was fine! Now that's strong! As for my left knee .... well, that was a different story .... that one hurt like crazy!
This is a tough day ..... both my knees ache - I'll bet it's going to rain. I'm supposed to go to a dinner meeting on Friday evening - lots of sitting; I'm actually thinking of not going. I just still can't be in one position too long or the left knee (not the TKR knee) aches like mad. I'll have to think about it.
 
Must be the weather Ive had an awful day too. Trying to do too much and ended up with two very painful knees. This was a day when I thought " Why did I have this done " Im sure I shouldnt be feeling this so early on. I cannot even imagine falling on all fours. O God I would have a heart attack Im sure. Nice to know we have one good old tough knee. I feel very down today as well. It does get to you sometimes dosent it. The pain the swelling o dear what would we do without this forum. Standing in a very dark room screaming. Hope you feel better for your night out. If not dont go it wouldnt be worth it. You take care now x
]
 
My neighbor and I joke that she and I are better weather predictors than the weathermen/women. We can tell it's going to rain even when they're saying it will be bright and sunny ..... we're right! Just finally took a shower. I've had some sort of a bug since Sunday night .... just enough to make you feel icky ... low-grade fever, headache, head congestion, and totally want to just sleep. I had not taken a shower since Sunday before church - just didn't have the energy .... boy did that feel good. I let the hot water run onto both knees ....... sooooo nice.
I'll have to see about Friday. If I don't feel 100% yet, I won't go for sure .... otherwise I just don't know what to do yet.
This time of year doesn't help either. Til Spring, warmer weather and more sunlight .... I battle SAD. That warm place we're going is sounding better and better all the time!
 
Hey Abby, did you go to your dinner on Friday or just stay in and relax. Its cold her now and getting colder by the day. I have taken to wearing leg warmers around my knees under my trousers and can feel a difference in the joints. Very nice and soothing. I did attempt to go shopping with my two daughters using the cane. not a good idea. 20 mins later Id had enough. Sat down for a coffee while they went round the shops together. Was feeling a bit depressed about that but when I got home my grandaughter paid a visit and she is getting very excited for christmas and she cheered me up so much. The family are now very past my complaining about my knee I tend not to say anything any more. Just come on the forum and have a good old whine. Last week was my 'weepy' week and I hope ive not got another one coming for a while. I hate feeling sorry for myself but then Ive never had a major op and its all part of it isnt it. Hope you are having a lovely relaxed weekend and hope to hear from you soon. Your holiday buddy Pat. You take care now x
 
Hi there Pat ..... I've been wearing knee warmers too! In fact over the ones I've got, a good friend knitted me a wool one that I put on top of the one on my TKR knee ... so sweet. At night I wear them too, but before I put them on I rub them with a cream called Boswellin Cream ..... it smells highly menthol but feels sooooooo good with the warmers. I still can't walk for too long a time without paying that night and the next day, so you are sure not alone in that. And, like you, I don't even say anything to my kids anymore ...... sort of "it's over, Mom's fine, and she should be doing just as before." Well, it doesn't quite work that way, but I don't say anything anymore. And then there's always the sweet comment of "aren't you over that yet?" Some day, when I'm long gone, they'll know .... they'll know. This was my first major operation too. (what a way to start!). I've had both eyes operated on for cataracts, and 2 menisectomies on my knee, but this was the first really big one. Actually, it wasen't as bad as I thought it was going to be as I'd had so many people telling me horror stories beforehand! Holy Cow ..... you'd have thought I was going to a beef slaughter house, the way they talked! I'm working on losing the weight I gained during the recovery time and also the time after my divorce, and I'm hoping that might help my knee. I'm not fat, but at 5'8" I feel I'm carrying too much compared to what I used to weigh.
Take care girlfriend ..... have a cup o' tea for me too.
By the way, I did go to the St. Andrews Scottish Society dinner and meeting last night. I was very tired and my eyes still burned but otherwise I was OK. It was to have been over at 9 PM, but of course didn't get over til 10. By that time I think my face was falling into my dessert. I'm feeling OK now ..... just very tired. Seems to have drained me of my resources - all the more excuse to take a nap .....aaaaahhhhhhhhh.
Talk to you soon .....
("undercover name" - Barb :puppysmooze::kittykiss:
 
undercover name Barb????? or Abby?????? Confused. Well the leg warmers on my knee didnt last very long. Made it swell up to twice the size. Maybe a little too early a at 7 weeks. So back to icing now. Any my blood pressure has shot up to 209 over 96 so that defnitley is a worry. Off to the GP tomorrow morning. Apart from that a family day today and me and my middle daughter made a family roast for seven of us while the rest sat down and relaxed. Im not very good at this getting everyone to help am I. Probably added to the swelling knee. I hope you had a lovely day and are feeling better. We put the outdoor christmas tree up today, next weekend the indoor one. I did put my foot down on that one. Will speak again soon. Take care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom