Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Abby

You don't sound very optimistic, but I agree it would be the best outcome if it were a strain as with rest, ice, etc. it should clear up in due course.
If its not, then they will have to look again to see what the cause is.

I sincerely hope that this time they are right in their diagnosis, and that you can soon be visiting those girlies of yours in their Shenandoah homes, keep that thought in your head, and stay positive Abby, and I look forward to hearing that you are OK and recovering well.

Take care...:friends:
 
Thanks so much Aretha .... I hope the P.T. is right too, but with the pain I've had in there at times ... well, I don't know. It's right around the left side and underneeth of the front where the meniscus is. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
 
I think your approach is a good one. I'm happy you have such a responsive therapist!
 
Since she's been reduced to 2 a day, I think she may be having a bit of withdrawal as she's very, very, depressed.
She's probably depressed because she's in pain! How wicked of them to reduce her medication when she's only 4 weeks out.
I had to take my meds for three full months!
my left knee hurt so bad I took 1/2 Vicodin and took a nap.
I rode the bike for 5 miles, and then did some upper body exercises. Afterwards I felt fine, but by the time I got home I could barely walk - my left knee hurt so badly I had to take 1/2 Vicodin.
½ a tablet is not worth the energy of swallowing it. Even one wouldn't be much good when I know you're probably prescribed two at a time as that is the working dose. If you hurt that bad why wouldn't you take what you are prescribed?

Plus, you really are doing too much with that dodgy knee. If something ends up giving you that much pain, then do yourself a big favour and don't do it. That's only sensible .... isn't it?
I know something is wrong in there ..... even if the MRI didn't show anything.
It's right around the left side and underneath the front where the meniscus is.
This being the left knee you are talking about? And meaning the inner side?

So when are you going to get a second opinion? I think you've given him chance after chance to do something about this and he doesn't seem to be taking much interest. It's the obvious thing to do, don't you think?
 
Hi everyone .... it's been awhile since I've been here. Wanted to check in an give you all an update. My right knee (the one with the TKR) is good as new, except when it's going to rain. Then it's a bit cranky. But, otherwise .... it feels better than it has in years. I'm very pleased with my doctor and physical therapist. I knew I made the right choice by going to the doctor and hospital I did rather than the one in town.

As for my left knee, which I managed to injure, I went into P.T. for 6 weeks, and at the first visit the P.T. said I had badly bruised the patella and probably sprained a tendon or ligament. So, I have only 1 more week of P.T. for that and it is doing markedly better. She was right. One thing she did tell me was, and she said this really goes for everyone ..... when I get in the car, to first put my fanny in, then turn both legs at the same time, rather than facing the windshield, putting my right leg in, and then twisting the left knee and foot to bring it in. She told me that isn't good for anyone's knee. I don't think most people know that.
Anyhow, I wanted to check in with you all. I am very grateful the RTKR has turned out so well, for an excellent surgeon and great P.T.
abby
 
Abby, glad things turned out okay for you!! I will keep that info about getting in and out of the car, I seem to have trouble with that still. Thanks!!
 
Yea, she said that everyone should do it that way, but very few do. I never heard that before, so it was new to me. But when you think of the twist you put on your knee, it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks so much for responding.
 
Amber, it's good to know you're doing okay! That is excellent advice about getting in your car. My TKR is on the right side and lately my left knee has been acting up. I found I needed to go back to that way of getting in the car to be comfortable.

You know....long ago when we all wore mini skirts, fanny first was the ONLY way to get into a car without showing more than you intended!!! :th_heehee:
 
:th_heehee: I can't resist pointing out that 'fanny' has a rather different meaning in UK. Google...
 
Jamie .... I'll bet that's why your left knee is acting up because that's exactly how mine started. Funny the things we do without thinking about it, but it sure makes sense to me when you consider the horrible twist you put on the other knee. Oh yes, those "wonderful" mini skirts. Wow, I wouldn't dare show them now ..... talk about "chunky chalk sticks" .... what my kids used to call them ..... my thighs always were chunky and my legs were pasty white! :th_heehee:

abby
 
Roy; You can't just leave us in the US waiting. What is "fanny" in the UK???
Amber, you are so right about getting in and out of a car, I realized that when I di get in one leg at a time, it hurt. Now I als put my "fanny" in 1st and pivot into the car.
So happy to hear you are doing well!!!
 
Sandy, I Goggled "fanny" as a UK expression-----to them it means "boobs":th_heehee:

So just picture getting in your car "fanny" first in England :hysterical::loll:

That Roy is a hoot :biggrin: :cat-kittyandsmiley:Judy
 
:blush: My bad. I misinterpreted the explanation I found of what they meant by front. But I think getting in a vehicle the way I thought it was is much more halarious. :hysterical: Judy
 
Yea, she said that everyone should do it that way, but very few do. I never heard that before, so it was new to me. But when you think of the twist you put on your knee, it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks so much for responding.
i remember when the home PT was having me practice getting in and out of the car she seemed a bit surprised that that was the way I got in before she had to tell me to do it that way. Actually I had been doing that for years--maybe at some point when the knees started going bad I just found it easier?
 
In the old days of débutantes and finishing schools, young ladies were taught to sit on the car seat and, keeping both knees tight together, swing both legs into the car at the same time whilst rotating the 'nevermind' on the seat. But I never heard of the one leg at a time method being 'bad for the knees'! What ever next?
 
Roy you are a hoot!!! Only you could find such an explanation in the English language!! :biggrin:
 
:th_heehee: I can't resist pointing out that 'fanny' has a rather different meaning in UK. Google...

Honest to gosh, Roy!!! I'm thinking you Brits work overtime thinking up raunchy meanings to perfectly good American words!! :hysterical:
 
Well, it will be a year on May 24 since I had my RTKR. The TKR has been greatly successful, but I seem to be battering the rest of my knees up. First, as I wrote before, I fell over my cat and hurt my left knee - put up with it for 4 months and went to the doctor - he x-rayed and saw nothing, so I was in P.T. for 8 sessions. It worked. Last week I spent in Virginia visiting my daughters and their families and, while at my granddaughter's playground at her school, I stepped down off of a ledge - sort of landscaped with beams - it was about 12 - 18" high, something that was never a problem for me before. Well, you probably guessed it - I lost my balance, fell on my backside, and hurt the outside of my right knee. That was a week ago ..... it's swollen and hurts to touch. Today I saw my P.T. for the last time and without an Rx all she could do was look at it .... couldn't even touch it. She said to go back to my doctor, let him look at it (probably x-ray it) and get a script for P.T. Phooey! I'm going in sometime in May, so I'll wait til then. I'm wondering if something changes in our balance when we've had a TKR, or if I'm just getting more klutzy. I'm discouraged about this .... the TKR is doing so well, and then these things. Oh yes, I also came home early because I had a tooth abscess and had to head right to the dentist. Now I'm taking Amox. and will be headed for a root canal. I've had one before and with a good Endodontist, it was no big deal, so I'm not particularly concerned about that. No dental insurance, but not much I can do about that.
Sorry I'm so sour tonight. Thanks for listening. :hairpulling:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom