TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, Abby, when in rains it does seem to pour and pour and pour.

I suspect that we really don't have the same balance control now that we had several years ago. And I don't think the TRKs have anything to do with it. I know that overall I am stiffer and less agile than I used to be. So I do find that I have to be more careful about some things than I used to be.

I don't have dental insurance either. And this morning as I looked in the mirror while washing my face, I realised that the inside corner of my left front tooth was broken. Well, Mr. Chase will certainly be happy once more!

That right knee probably just has soft tissue damage--just the same as if you fell on it and didn't have a TKR. So take care of yourself, keep us posted, we care. Judy
 
Thanks Judy .... you make me feel better. I suspect you're right about our balance changing, just from aging, let alone the TKR. I'm just going to have to be more careful in everything I do and not be so "schushlic" ...... a great PA Dutch word meaning hurrying, scurrying around and doing everything in a speedy, rush around way.
 
Balance changes and you have to work at core strength a little more as you age. Plus....after surgery your muscles must work to regain strength and tone. This can take a while if you've had bad joints for a long time. It's a time for patience for sure.
 
Jamie ..... thank you so much for telling me this .... it confirms what I was thinking. What do you suggest for strengthening my core? - I'm 67. A few years ago I tried Pilates and almost killed myself! :snork:
 
Yesterday I found in a health magazine 4 exercises to strengthen your balance. I tore the page out and tried them this morning .... holy cow! I was awful! I'm going to have to do them as often as I can ...... no wonder I've been so klutzy since my TKR.
 
Physio has me balancing on TKR leg. I can do it no bother with eyes open but as soon as I try it with eyes closed I'm gone.
 
Maybe I was this klutzy before, but didn't realize it. But my sense of balance and stability is terrible. I'm going to have to really work on this as when I fell at my granddaughter's playground, I really hit the outside of my RTKR and it's got a dandy bruise on the bone now. I need to be very careful and do those balancing exercises. Funny, I didn't do any balancing exercises in P.T. except for going up and over 1 step with my right foot.
Better get on that ..... can't be falling around like some rag doll!:th_heehee:
 
Amber. My PT has me working on balance. She also told me to stand on one leg when I brush my teeth. Since I'm bilateral, I do R leg a.m. and L leg p.m. It does help.
 
PooShay ..... that's a great idea! I'm going to start that right away. Thanks for the suggestion.
:yes 4:
 
You all can't imagine how good it feels to know that I'm not the only one who has trouble with balance, it seems especially since the RTKR. I'm going to take the suggestions you've given me and also do the ones from the health magazine I have and hopefully, I won't be quite such a klutz after awhile.:th_heehee:
 
Roy ..... OMG! T.M.I. I thought you Brits were so proper??????? :secretaea:
abby
<*)))><
 
A bit of an "aside" here .........

My neighbor (76) just had a knee replacement 6 months ago and she picked up some kind of infection in the hospital. She says (and I don't get this) she got a shot in the groin, and ever since then that space fills up with pus. She's been taking antibiotics for months. It goes away, then comes back. It must be huge because she said one time it broke when she was walking and ran down her leg (sorry about the graphics). I don't get this. As far as I know, I didn't have any shots in the groin (unless I was already asleep) and I didn't have any problems with infection of any sort. She swears it's not MRSA, but I'm not so sure. Could it be staff, and if so, why isn't it healing?
What is going on here? Any ideas?
abby
<*)))><
 
One year later on May 24 ................ well, it's almost been a year since I had my RTKR, and I cannot tell you how glad I am I had it done. My knee has not felt this good for several years, since my first meniscus surgery. It's quirky now and then, and it's a great barometer, but it feels so good compared to before. I do find that when I stand up from sitting I wait a few seconds before I start to walk, but walking is totally normal now. I would do this again in a heartbeat if the other one ever needed to be replaced. I think one of the keys besides having the best surgeon you can find, is to really do the work in P.T. I used to joke that my P.T. was a "Physical Terrorist" because some of it was not fun. But, it worked and I have a 130 degree bend.
Now, if I had the $$$ I'd go white water rafting this summer, but just don't have the resources right now. The economy has hit everyone so hard and I think a lot of folks are taking "stay-vacations" this year. As for me, I'll probably spend time with my girls in the mountains of VA.
Be encouraged ...... this is a fantastic surgery - we're all blessed it's available, rather than years and years ago when we'd all be walking around in horrible pain, or even worse.:doggieshmooze::cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Abby-

I had a shot in the groin with each surgery, it was the groin NERVE BLOCK. As a matter of fact it was four weeks after surgery before the scabs fell off. They numbed the area in betwee thigh and pelvis and inserted a stent that numbed the leg from the thigh down for 48 hours (I think that's the way it worked). I had one with each knee. Do you think this is what your neighbor is talking about?
 
Bev ..... it must be what she means. I appreciate you're sharing that with me ..... I didn't have any shots in that area as far as I know. I'd think I would have seen a scab or something if I did. Wonder why some do and some don't? I guess it's the doctor's preference. They went to a different hospital than I did, and had a different doctor.

I'm wondering why it doesn't clear up for her. And, I've wondered why they don't lance it, drain it well and clean it out and then put her on antibiotic.

As sick as this probably sounds, I wish I had a video of my surgery. I'd love to see the whole procedure done on me. I've watched on the internet, but I'd love to see my own. I know ...... icky, huh?

Take care,
:doggieshmooze::cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
No, I'd love a video of mine too. I kind of wish I'd stayed awake but wimped out as didn't want to hear the sawing!
 
Speccy ..... Wow .... you had a choice to be awake or not? Gee, I wasn't given
that choice ...... all I remember is being wheeled into the Operating Room - seeing written over the door "Operating Room #5" and that was the end. Never saw a thing.
 
I'd like to know more about these shots some folks get in the groin, and others don't.
Anyone have any info?
 
Info. on shoes ..... I have discovered Orthoheel shoes. Last summer, shortly after my TKR I got a pair in their sandals and lived in them ...... they were so comfortable. I have a rather severe pronation, and have orthotics that fit in my other shoes. I got another pair of their shoes - a "mule" type which is more of a shoe rather than a sandal, and they are SOOO comfortable and feel much more stable.
Just a bit of info. for anyone that wants to check them out.
 
Abby. Did you put your orthotics in the mule? I have flat feet and wear orthotics made specifically for me. New gait probably means new orthotics. I'm looking for shoes that I can wear without orthotics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom