Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josephine ...... that's what I'm thinking, too. I wear the brace during the day and take it off at night to sleep. So, I'll just have to go the 3-4 weeks and see what happens. It would be great if that took care of it.
When I saw him this passed Monday .... he looked at me and again said, "do you still have THAT cat?" to which I replied, yes. He just shook his head. I don't think he's a "cat person."
A girlfriend told me recently that she read somewhere that more falls in the home are caused by falling over pets than anything else. Oh dear and I have 1 dog and 2 cats. But, since I fell over the one of them I've put a big bell on her.

Yep! My knee problems all started from falling over the dog, about 20 years ago!

But here's good thing about having pets - my doctor says he is always happy to hear a patient has a dog, because he knows that person will have to take walks each day.
 
Hi Amberprep,

A friend of mine twisted her knee badly, saw a surgeon who immediaely said you've blown your ACL, I'll book you in for surgery. Fortunately she went for a second opinion and got an MRI. ACL wasn't blown, she had really bad bruising. Took months to heal, and three years later she has absolutely no trouble with that knee.

Hope this gives you some comfort and I wish you well.
 
Hi all ..... Well, it's almost 2 weeks that I've been wearing this "shortrunner" brace. I don't wear it to sleep. But, it sure feels like a torn meniscus to me ..... I had that 2x in my other knee (the one with the TKR) and this feels exactly like that. When I sleep, if I lay on my side with the hurting knee on top, I get sharp pains in that area ....... so familiar.
Well, I'll do what he says, but at this point my TKR knee feels better than the other one. Oh my .......
 
Hi Abby,

I know nothing about torn meniscus' but just wanted to say that I hope you don't have to wear the brace for much longer, and wishing you a speedy recovery from this knee problem.

Take care x :flowerysmile:
 
Hi Aretha .....
Thanks for your kind thoughts ..... me too ..... it's getting picky behind my knee. How are you doing? Coming along well, I hope.
It's beautiful here today - 60 degrees - and it's almost Feb. - I live in MD and it's supposed to be cold and snowy (well, icy because that's what we seem to get here) this time of year. I'm not complaining though .... it sure is easier to walk on the sidewalk than on ice even with those ice grippers I've got.
Take care and it's good to hear from you ..... :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Hi everyone ...... well, I learned a lesson yesterday. Since I had my RTKR in May, after the first few months, I think I've done well. Now, while it still hurts, the healing has come along and I'm really pleased. I "thought" those days of fatigue were over.
Well, not so. Yesterday a girlfriend and I had a "day out." We started around 9, went to lots of places, stores, little eclectic shops, pet stores, had lunch, and I didn't get home til about 4. I fell asleep on the sofa last night around 8, so I got up and went to bed. This morning when I got up, both knees were hurting so badly I could hardly walk so I took Advil. I ate breakfast and was so tired I almost fell asleep while I was eating. I normally would have then gotten ready to go to church, but I could hardly get out of the chair - between my knees and fatigue, I was totally done in. So, I crawled back into bed and slept for almost 3 hours! When I woke up I was shocked, but I felt so much better. I've still been a little draggy today, but not nearly like I was this morning.
I guess the doctor was right on when he said it normally takes 1-1/2 years to totally heal and get all of your energy and strength back. Don't think I'll do anymore full-day outings for awhile - I learned my lesson. :sleep:
 
Aaww, honey! But never mind, you had a great day out and what was more, you coped with it splendidly! That's fine. :thumb: It would be more worrisome if your knee had started complaining during the day. But it didn't which is great! That's a great step forward. It's quite possible that next time it won't be so bad.

But - next time I suggest you either keep the day a bit shorter or have a nice long sit down half way though - have lunch or something. You need to pace yourself more.
 
I totally agree with Jo, my hubby and I are out a lot sourcing materials, items for new bungalow renovations, and cups of coffee and lunch are definitely the order of the day. It makes a day out relatively easy, and I love our chats, etc. whilst taking time out.:yes 4:

Enjoy and don't worry about it!:friends:
 
Yep, you're both right. Guess I had to learn this the hard way.. I'm good this morning, but still wearing that short runner brace, but I do think that knee is somewhat better as long as I'm careful with it. :biggrin:

Also, just an update ..... my elderly neighbor who had a TKR 4 weeks ago is STILL on oxycontin. Her doctor just gave her an Rx for more, but now instead of 3-4x a day it's 2x a day. To me, that's just over prescribing. I only had oxy. when I was in the hospital. I am concerned about her as she's loopy, but her daughter doesn't seem to think anything of it. None of my business, I guess.
 
Abby, everyone recovers at such a different rate, and maybe she really needs the medication. I was on painkillers for at least 8 weeks if not longer, so its really dificult to decide if the doctor could be overprescribing. At least she has dropped from 3-4x to 2x a day which doesn't sound a lot at just 4 weeks on, but not really sure what Oxycontin is, is it just a painkiller. Give him the benefit of the doubt, he should know what he is doing, and maybe her own recovery is nowhere near as good as yours seems to be going. She could be in a lot of pain still, and hopefully her daughter will be keeping an eye on her mum!
Keep moving in the right direction Abby, look forw2ard to reading your posts.:friends:
 
Hi Aretha ..... yea, you're right about everyone's pain threshold is different, but Oxy. is really, with the exception of morphine, top of the line painkiller. They were giving it to me in the hospital but when I left he put me on Percoset for 2 weeks, and then Vicodin to sort of "download." She seems to be doing really well, physically, walking and moving around quite well. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.
Since she's been reduced to 2 a day, I think she may be having a bit of withdrawal as she's very, very, depressed. I talked with her this morning and she looks terrible and told me how awful she felt. Her daughter was just there this morning so I would guess she'd say something to her mother if she thought it necessary.
 
Abby,

Her Dr. maybe doing a slow wean down ,since he dropped the number times per day, to help her with not going thru a really bad withdrawl. These painkillers affect everyone so differently.
 
karmigirl .... that's what I'm thinking too. I was just over there to give her the mail and she really looks dazed.
 
Hi all .... (please forgive my whining). My RTKR has done so well - I am delighted with it. Oh sure, it's still cranky at times, but it's not even a year and I'm very happy with my recovery.
On the other hand, I'm feeling very discouraged with this left knee. I've been wearing this brace for over 4 weeks now and sometimes I think it's better, and then sometimes not. I know the x-ray and MRI didn't show anything, but something is definitely going on in there. He said to call in 4 weeks if it was not better. I'm feeling very discouraged with this and I'm just going to deal with it with Ibuprofin, Bufferin, and Tylenol until I have my 1 year checkup in May.
Thanks for listening to me whine .... I'm sorry.
P.S. - Later - when I got home this morning after a quick trip to the pharmacy, my left knee hurt so bad I took 1/2 Vicodin and took a nap. Feel like I'm falling apart.
 
Yesterday I took my neighbor to P.T. to the same place I went. I decided to go to their gym portion. I rode the bike for 5 miles, and then did some upper body exercises. Afterwards I felt fine, but by the time I got home I could barely walk - my left knee hurt so badly I had to take 1/2 Vicodin.
My P.T. told me to call my doctor, have him FAX an Rx to them for 4 weeks of
P.T. and then if that doesn't help, go back to see him.
I know something is wrong in there ..... even if the MRI didn't show anything. I had 2 meniscotomies on my right knee about 10 years ago and 2 years ago, so I know they're not really a big deal. I just hate to go through this whole process again if it is going to ultimately lead to a TKR.
I'm pretty discouraged right now ..... I wanted to go see my girls who live in their Shenandoah homes and right now I can't.
Oh well, it sure could be worse. Thanks for listening.
 
sorry to hear this. I hope you can get some answers
 
So sorry that your left knee is giving you trouble. :console:Hope its better soon.

But I must admit that every time I see a comment like this by another Smartie who has had only one knee done, I am doubly thankful that I got both mine done two days apart. So they're both recovering together, and both are doing very well. :yes 4:

Keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy
 
Hi Judy .... First of all .... I LOVE that kitty you have on your post ..... adorable!
If I wind up having arthroscopic surgery, I'd rather just have the knee replaced - the other one has turned out so very well that I don't want to go through this long, protracted, "try this, try that" process ...... sort of "just git'er done."
 
Well, I got a script from my Orthopedist for 4 weeks of P.T. to see if that helped my left knee. I went on Monday for the first time, which was the evaluation, mostly. I had been wearing the brace for 4 weeks and when I would take it off it would feel better. So, Monday things were pretty good. The P.T. told me to not wear it the rest of the week and then we'd see how things were on Friday when I went in.
Monday she thought it was just a sprain or severe strain. Hmmmmmm ..... maybe. That would be great if that's all it turns out to be. Guess I'll be finding out. :scratch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom