Knee Infection* Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

Surgery went as expected. I am home now. Just kept me overnight. New Knee in. Hurrah. I do have to be on an antibiotic for the rest of my lift to keep me from getting an infection again....but it will be worth it. Doctor doesn't want me to bend my knee yet. 2 weeks more. He says it needs to get stronger again. So thanks to everyone for your prayers.
 
My doc said no bending for 2 weeks (in an immbolizer) that grew into 4 followed by non-aggressive PT. The knee was a little stiff, but by 2 months post op I was able to get a full rotation on a bike. I also take 100mg of doxycycline almost 5 years post op. A good probiotic and yogurt daily has helped. My ID doesn’t yearly blood work to be sure everything is still good.

Take it easy and let that knee heel, the bend will come.
 
I'm glad your TKR hardware is now re-installed.
Here's another copy of the post-op recommendations and reading list - just to refresh your memory.
When you're allowed to start doing exercises, increase them very slowly. Gently does it!
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Glad to hear that all went well and that you are home. I will be following your progress! I sure hope your recovery goes smoothly. We are heading back to FL in a couple of weeks (if we can get through the hurricane zone!) and I plan to start @KarriB 's walking program. Both my husband and I need it.
 
@KarriB started walking 10 minutes twice a day, adding 5 minutes to each walk, each week. I don’t remember when she consolidated it to one walk, she’ll be along to tell you.
 
She added minutes only if her knee didn't fuss about the previous day's walking.
 
Ok... right now I'm doing about 5 minutes 3 times a day with my walker. I will try to build up as I can.
 
Karri was also several years post op when she started her walking program, NOT early in recovery.
 
Ok... right now I'm doing about 5 minutes 3 times a day with my walker. I will try to build up as I can.
Karri was also several years post op when she started her walking program, NOT early in recovery.
Jockette is right. You're doing enough walking for now. Don't start building it up yet.
For the first month post-op, your main job is to rest, ice, elevate, and take your medications on time, so your knee has a chance to start healing, before you stress it with more exercise.

Check your activity, to see you don't exceed the recommendations in this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
I did start walking a few years after my TKR and I only added 5 minutes every week. So it was super slow but it did get rid of the pain. The best plan to follow during early recovery is the Activity progression for TKRs. If you’ve followed that you’re probably walking quite a bit. I don’t advise adding time every day. @SusieShoes began walking during her recovery and I think added a house or driveway to her walks. Susie also rememebered to keep the knee pain free because you don’t want to aggravate it and bring on pain or swelling.
 
Well, it's been 9 days now since my surgery. Lots of pain. Doctor wants me to keep my knee in a knee brace for two weeks. No bending until it gets a little stronger since I couldn't use it for 3 1/2 months. It feel weird just putting weight on it. I'm going to have to call them to see what exercises I should start out with. I know it won't be the usual after TKR exercises. So, still in a lazy boy...hurting now...getting depressed again. UGH!!!
 
Hang in there, you have come along way, and you can do it! Think of that Rosie the Riveter poster!!!
 
After my infection surgery my OS had my knee in an immbolizer for a month. It took about a month after that but I was able to get a full rotation on a bike. I did a week of rocking the pedals, then voila, a full rotation! It was a happy day. Your knee will bend, just don’t do too much too soon.
 
@KarriB I remember after my first surgery doing therapy on the bike and just rocking back and forth for the longest time... Then one day I actually got my foot to go all the way around and I almost jumped off the bike with joy. Can't wait to be able to do that again. So, bone smartie friends....I need some help again. Yes, again. So, it's been 3 1/2 weeks since getting my knee back where it belongs. I'm not having too much pain with my knee...only when I push myself on the bike or picking up a little in the house. Crazily enough I am having so much trouble with my back that I can't stand it. I have been trying to walk a little 2-3 times a day besides just when I go to the bathroom. By the time I get back to my chair I can almost cry. I know it's because I have gained at least 10 pounds and am weak from not being able to be up and walking around. So, my question is, does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with this? My pain medicine for my knee does help, but I don't want to continue with it because of my back. Exercises? Stretches? Nothing else has ever helped me except my Chiropractor and I'm not able to go see him right now. Any suggestions are welcome and once again @arizonaone keep hanging in there...we'll get through this!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom