Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

I've not heard of that before. I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your concerns.
 
But what really gets me is how much I start shaking. I shake so much that I have to sit down quickly afraid that I am going to collapse or something. Does anyone else have that problem? What causes it.
It's a form of fatigue. Which means - guess what - that you've been doing too much!
 
I got the shakes after I was allowed to take the immbolizer off, but I got shaky and decided to gradually let go of the immbolizer. My leg was so tired and the muscles hadn’t been used in over two months that when I took off the immbolizer my leg felt like a rubber band.
 
Last edited:
You know @KarriB - I didn't think of that. I knew after having those rods in my knee for 3 1/2 months that the muscles there would be almost non-existent. It's like in junior high when we did the President's Fitness thing and one of the things was to just hang on bars against the wall with your arms bent for as long as you can. Eventually, my arms just started shaking. Thanks.... I'm sure that's what it is. I just need to get more strength in my legs.

Oh, and I love your emoji's....the fit perfectly. :)
 
Wow...I can't believe how long it's been since I was on here. Question, I am taking Clindamycin now for the rest of my life... I have had so much itching especially on my legs. My doctor has me taking Benadryl to see if it helps. I have put all kinds of ointments, creams and sprays and nothing helps. He doesn't really want to change my antibiotic. Any suggestions????
 
Madbkseller,
Sorry to hear you are having side effects with your antibiotic.
Ask your pharmacist about your side effects, they may have some insight into other things that may help.
You could also consider a consult with a different ID, and/or perhaps an allergist.
 
Going into my TKR I knew I was allergic to penicillin, so my ID team had to treat accordingly. Three different antibiotics and no itching at all. I think Pumpkln has given you good advise. I can’t imagine taking something forever that makes me itch.
 
I didn't know where else to ask this so here goes. I have signed up for both Webinars on 2/6. I am hoping to have no trouble watching it live, but if something happens will it be available to view at another time?
 
There is just one webinar. However it will address both pre and post op application of these treatments, so I believe you'll find it interesting. If for some reason you miss the live event, it will be available for viewing shortly afterwards on the BoneSmart website.
 
The only problem with my skin itching so bad is that my OS wants me to stay on this antibiotic. Like I said, his nurse said to try Benadryl. I have taken it for a week or so and it doesn't seem to help much. Also, there are a lot of adverse side effects if taking for a long period of time. Should I just call my doctor again? I would prefer to have some kind of lotion or cream that might help
 
Yes, I think you should call your doctor again. (Is it the ID or your surgeon?) Ask if there is an alternative antibiotic you could use. Your continued skin itching is most likely to be an adverse reaction to that particular antibiotic.

If there's an alternative antibiotic to which your infecting organisms are sensitive, it's unreasonable to expect you to keep suffering the severe itching.
 
It might be possible to get a prescription for a corticosteroid cream that could help with the itching. Your GP might be able to help you out there. There are some available over the counter, but I think the prescription ones are probably better.
 
Hi Madbkseller,
Sounds like you're having a rough time. I'm so sorry, you have my sympathy.
Since you're concerned about the long term effects of Benedryl, understandably so, a few things to look into and consider -

Vitamin C which helps boost your immune system and acts as a natural Antihistamine.
Some foods that are high in Vitamin C are - Oranges, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Chili Peppers, Bell Peppers, Spinach, Kale, Bananas, Limes, Blackberries, Pineapple, Broccoli, Cabbage, Tomatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Squash, Cucumbers, Carrots.

I'd also recommend you look into a good Probiotic which can also help boost your immune system and assist your body in fighting off allergies.

Natural Probiotics in foods - Yogurt, Kefir, Sauerkraut (refrigerated, not canned) Tempeh, Kimchi, Miso, Kombucha.

Following is an article from the BoneSmart Library on Probiotics -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

Wishing you comfort. I hope you find relief soon. :console2:
@Madbkseller
 
If you’re allergic to this antibiotic I don’t think Benadryl will help. An itchy rash is how I presented with an allergic reaction to penicillin.
 
Thanks KarriB...and Layla - I didn't know that about vitamin c. I'll start eating more of the fruits with that in it and I do already take a daily probiotic because of being on Clindamycin for the rest of my life...Thanks.
 
Like I said, his nurse said to try Benadryl. I have taken it for a week or so and it doesn't seem to help much
It's entirely possible that the dose you are taking is not enough. I suggest you phone your doctor for advice.
 
Josephine - so you mean enough Benadryl? Well, I read what it can do to you long term and even short term and since I have to take Clindamycin for the rest of my life I really don't want to chance that. "When the researchers examined the use of anticholinergic drugs, they found that people who used these drugs were more likely to have developed dementia as those who didn’t use them." I have Alzheimers in my family and don't need any additional reasons to lose my mind. LOL I am waiting for my GP to call me back and maybe give me a stronger Hydrocortisone cream????
 
Have you asked your ID if there is any other antibiotic at all to which your infection was sensitive and which you could take long-term? It is simply not good practice to subject you long-term to an antibiotic to which your body seems to be allergic and for which you have to continue taking antihistamine medication.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom