Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

When I have had back trouble, even the chiropractor suggested to alternate ice and heat on my back. Like 20 minutes of ice, then 20 minutes of heat. You might call yours and explain why you can't come in and see if he could suggest anything over the phone. I hope that helps!
 
Thanks @MathProf I'll put my ice bags on double duty. I have been using a heating pad but I'll add the ice bags to the routing. By the way how have you been doing?
 
only when I push myself on the bike or picking up a little in the house.
Then don't push yourself. remember, "If it hurts, don't do it."

You have plenty of time. No need to rush.
Crazily enough I am having so much trouble with my back that I can't stand it. I have been trying to walk a little 2-3 times a day besides just when I go to the bathroom. By the time I get back to my chair I can almost cry.
Remember that your back has also not been having the usual amount of exercise. It also needs time to get back into condition. Don't try to force it to do that quickly. Slow, gentle progress is best.

All your muscles will be out of condition, including those of your back and your abdomen.

The suggestion to use alternating ice and heat on your back is a good one.

My pain medicine for my knee does help, but I don't want to continue with it because of my back. Exercises? Stretches?
No exercises or stretches yet. Just the exercise you get in walking around the house.

If the pain meds for your knee are also helping your back, keep taking them until your back eases.
 
@Celle ... thanks. I guess I just needed to hear that it's still ok for me to take it slow. My husband had planned to fly to Colorado in October to see his son. Then my surgery was put off for another month. He is anxious to go and since I can't drive is having my son and then my daughter pick him up and drop him off at the airport. He is going to be gone for a week leaving on Sunday. I'm not real comfortable with him being gone and have kind of voiced that but I don't want to keep him from going. He really just kind of ignores me. I think that is why I am pushing myself a bit to get up and moving more because I know I will be doing it all very soon. My daughter and my son both live in town and would be more than happy to help me...it's just that I am the kind of person who really hates asking for help. I'll try to do as you say and take it easy. Thanks again for the support
 
I think that is why I am pushing myself a bit to get up and moving more because I know I will be doing it all very soon. My daughter and my son both live in town and would be more than happy to help me...it's just that I am the kind of person who really hates asking for help. I'll try to do as you say and take it easy. Thanks again for the support
Don't push yourself to do more - that is likely to backfire on you and it may even slow down your recovery.

I guess your husband will do what he wants to do, so you need to do what you have to do, for you. That means prioritizing your needs, so your knee has the best possible chance of recovering well. That's your job right now, so swallow your pride and independence, and ask your son and daughter for the help you need. You know you'd willingly help them if they needed help, so now it's their turn to help you.

This article may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
TKR was my first (so far only) experience with a serious surgery and recovery. I didn’t like asking or accepting help from family or friends, but I had no choice. It was 4 weeks before I felt as though I could begin the easiest of chores like putting chicken into a crock pot and more than 6 weeks after my infection surgery.

My bff has had cancer for 25 years (a TKR as well) and when I realized how much surgery and infection takes out of a person I had to apologize to my friend for pushing her to do too much too soon during her recoveries. I never realized how hard the body works to heal itself nor what that takes out of a person.

Don’t push yourself, your body is healing. You’ll know when it’s time, but 3.5 weeks isn’t it. :)
 
I agree with everybody about not pushing. But I also understand how much you want to be 'normal' again. I just got back from my ID appointment. Everything looks great. I see the OS later today and I'll post a full update on my page. Let hubby go on his trip - think about the peace and quiet you can have - and I am sure your kids will be happy to help you out, especially since they know it is only for a short time!
 
Yes I agree with all of you. Thanks. Now new problem...my poor 12 year old dog has started limping really bad. She has had back trouble before so I have Tramadol for her. I am hoping it is just a sprain and not a break. She is putting just a little weight on it now. LIFE!!! It just goes on and on and on....
 
Poor old girl! I wonder if one of your kids would take her to the vet for you, to see if anything more can be done, to make her more comfortable?
I have a son with mental health issues. Although he never does anything to help me, he will do anything for the animals. He's really good with them. His own cat lived for 17 years, thanks to his good care.
 
Quick update on my Bonnie. She has a torn ACL. Yes..Too old to do surgery so I just have to take care of her here. Meds twice a day. She isn't supposed to run or jump so now I can't just open the door and let her out. I have to put her on two leads tied together so she gets about 15 feet past our deck. UGH. Of course since hubby is gone I have to do it all myself. She seems to be doing okay with it though. Ok...I know this is supposed to about our KNEES! Ha... It's just that I feel like there are about 3 or 4 of you that I can tell anything to. Thanks for that.
So...now my back pain is still there but the pain has kind of moved to the sides of my back. I can't be up for more than like 5-6 minutes doing something,....fixing my lunch, feeding the turtles or dogs anything...and it hurts so bad and I start shaking and could almost cry. Sometime I barely make it back to my chair. Does anyone know any exercises I can do sitting in my chair that might help strengthen my back and sides? The heating pad and ice has helped a little and I have started trying to remember to take my pain meds. When I was first home from the hospital I keep a sheet with the times to take my medicine. Once I started feeling better I kind of just took them as needed. Maybe I need to get back on a schedule again.
Well, any suggestions are welcome. Thank you all for your help and support. Hope you all have a Beautiful and Blessed Day...
 
I’m sorry you and Bonnie are in such pain. :console2:

I set my phone alarm to remind me to take medication. My iPhone lets me set a bunch of times once a day (or more maybe, but I’ve only ever done one day)
That’s just in my clock settings, not an extra app.
 
I'm sorry that your in so much pain. And that Bonnie tore her ACL. I feel for you. It's hard enough taking care of your needs and now Bonnie's special needs too. :sad:

Jockette''s idea about the alarm is great . And much better than mine- i'm texting myself the times I take my medication so I know when I can take the next one . Now that I'm thinking about it, it makes absolutely no sense lol. So, I'm going to start setting my phone alarm.

Yes, I think taking your meds on a schedule again will make a world of difference. Unfortunately I know of no exercises that will help your back . Maybe Google back strengthening exercises?

I really hope that you start to feel better, madbkseller. My thoughts and prayers are with you .
 
You are so funny. Sending a text is kind of like closing the barn door after the cow is out of the barn. I love those old sayings. Hope you have a good day....
 
Oh, I forgot to tell you. I figured out what helps my back...I just don't get out of my chair. LOL
That’s what my husband finds works best for him. Seriously. Walking and standing hurts him, sitting does not.

He had an epidural shot, and also Radio Frequency Ablation and neither did anything for him. :boohoo:
 
Yes sitting and not getting out of the chair is the perfect solution .

When my knee really hurts( well more than usual) I just don't get up either .
 
I discovered pains I never had after my TKR. I think the knee pain was so overwhelming I didn’t notice my back pain. Sitting so much really bothered my back, but heat helped it a great deal as well as new shoes that didn’t have my old gait pattern ingrained.
 
I also use the phone to remind me of when to take my antibiotic...and the shoes...I would never have thought of that, but it makes sense. So sorry about your fur baby. That is just too darn bad. :(
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom