Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

OK....so self pat on the back. I haven't had a cigarette since the evening of 9/6. Whew!! Never thought I could do it. I have urges during the day and yell...."someone bring me a cigarette!" but everyone knows that I am just kidding. Like you @PegGar16 my poor husband is getting the part of me that isn't fun. Ha. I am going in on Wednesday to have my blood drawn to test for nicotine. So glad that I KNOW that I will pass. I already have an appointment on October 11th for my surgical physical. I could call and get one earlier if I needed to. So, here's my question...... I truly think that I will go nuts if I have to wait until October 30th for my next surgery. I mean that's another 6 weeks and I have already been with this straight leg for 11 1/2 weeks. Come on!!! So what I need from all of you is a few suggestions of what I can say to my OS's nurse to get her to move me into surgery sooner. Swear I will truly go crazy if I have to sit her that much longer and THEN have to do it again after my replacement AGAIN! I am going to call him today so please suggest asap...I appreciate it!!!!!
 
Congratulations!!!!:spin::dancy::loveshwr: That is wonderful news about your smoking. Now, what to say to speed things up? I don't know....threats probably won't work, I'd try begging, tears, point out that you have done EVERYTHING they asked you to do, how very hard it has been. If you get refused, I would ask WHY? Is he truly booked up that solid (which might be the case). Could you enlist your primary dr to call on your behalf? Hopefully someone else will offer some other suggestions. Blame the husband? He can't take it anymore; his health is failing from the stress. Do you have an elderly relative that you used to help and can't anymore? Can you make one up? I just can't imagine waiting like you have had to do.
 
If your nicotine test comes back negative why would he want to wait? Maybe he didn’t think you could stop that quickly?
 
I think you might be right @KarriB I'm not sure I thought I'd be able to quit. I did call and leave a message with his nurse yesterday. I told her that I had quit smoking the 6th.... that I had scheduled a physical on the 11th but could get one earlier. That I had been being depressed and crying a lot (not true) but hey!!! The I was driving my husband crazy with just sitting around....and the not smoking was making me be on edge. I have not heard back from the yet. I'll let you know but I don't have much hope for an earlier date. Hate it...Hate it...Hate it...
 
I didn’t have an antibiotic spacer. I only had an immbolizer for a month and I cried nearly every day. Then there was the boredom...

The other thing might be that it could take a certain amount of time for your body to realize the effects of your quitting.
 
@KarriB Hopefully my body doesn't realize that I have quit.....otherwise I'm in big trouble. I think it is affecting me more than I realized...I have put on 4 pounds since I quit. Oral gratification. Ugh!!! Haven't heard back from my OS's nurse yet. Hopefully soon. I'm kinda going nuts just waiting to hear something. Even though I know it's going to be that I need to keep my initial surgical date......AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
 
@KarriB & @MathProf - Just keeping you abreast of what is going on with me. So, I haven't had a cigarette for 16 days now. YEAH!!! I did hear back from my OS's Nurse. She said they hadn't gotten the results from my bloodwork yet, but she would check on it. She congratulated me and said she would definitely let me know if any cancellations came up. I sure hope so. So, I've done all I can....now I just pray and wait. How are you two doing? Anything new?
 
I’m still walking and riding my bike daily just trying to be healthy and lose some weight. Over the last year I’ve learned movement is necessary!
So happy you’re on day 16 and truly hope you can continue even after the surgery is completed!
 
We just got back from a great visit with the best grandchildren in the world (I know I'm prejudiced!) and I was able to climb the stairs at their house with less trouble than here at my house. The rise must be just a little less! Tomorrow is drink water like mad day, since Tuesday is my blood test and I am a hard stick, so if I can keep from floating away, it is a win! So proud of you for quitting!
 
Does anyone remember if your recovery after the second revision because of infection was any different than the other recoveries? It seems to me that it was about 6 weeks or so before I could get up for 15 minutes or so and do a little cleaning/dishes...etc. before I had to go and sit down and ice my knee. It's been awhile so I don't really remember.

Also, I just got a phone call from my OS's nurse. She said that Dr. Allan had reviewed my labs and everything looked good. She said because of that .... she has now had a cancellation for 10/23 which is one week earlier than the previous surgery date I had. YEAH. She said if she has any sooner she will let me know.
 
Standing for any period of time was difficult after both surgeries for me, but because my OS prescribed non-aggressive therapy as well as the washout being less traumatic to the bone (but more traumatic to the tissue) there was a different type of pain for me.
 
Yea...that's what I'm prescribing for myself. Ha...non-aggressive therapy. In fact, I'm just going to do my own therapy at my house. I mean I've already been through it 3 times. The best thing I had when I was going to therapy was the bike.....and now I have one. I will just start slow and easy with the usual exercises....I don't even know how it's going to be since I haven't been able to bend my knee for over 13 weeks. GEEZ!!! My leg is getting so flabby I can hardly stand it. I can't believe it's 3 weeks from Tuesday that I'll have my knee back. Since my knee doesn't hurt now I almost hate the thought of having that surgery because I KNOW how much it hurts...and I'm sure my memory doesn't do it justice. It's like having a baby....you remember how it hurts...you just don't remember how BAD it hurts.... (well, I didn't have meds)....ugh
 
It was only 6 weeks in an immbolizer for me, but when the OS said I could start to go without it when sitting, then just around the house my leg felt so weak and unsupported. Your right, I found an exercise bike the best tool for flexion, but I did keep it at 0 resistance. Then slowly building a walking regimen helped strengthen muscles.
 
OK....so.... yesterday the nurse called and said they had a cancellation and I could have my surgery on Monday at 10 am. So I had to scoot to Bloomington to get a pre-surgical physical. DONE. So surgery on Monday. Needing prayers to guide my surgeons hands and keep my angels round about me. Thanks to all!!!!
 
Hugs and prayers for good success!
:console2:
 
Yeah! Sending prayers that this will all soon be over. I'll be thinking of you often.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom