BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

[KNEE INFECTION] Alternatives to spacer & antibiotics<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Madbkseller, May 21, 2015.

1. Madbkseller

Madbkseller member

United States United States
    Celle: I really haven't spoken to my ID since she released me after my PICC line was taken out. I have spoken with my OS's nurse. She said that they have had the best success with Clindamycin and he really doesn't want me to change to a different antibiotic. I have talked with my GP's nurse. She said that he was wondering why my OS was pushing this off on him. So.... she also said that I should probably have my antibiotic changed. It just scares me to death to even take the slightest chance that I would get an infection in my knee again. My daughter asked me if I was sure that it wasn't just dry skin...but I would think that one of the lotions or creams I had put on would have helped that too. ????

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

3. Madbkseller

Madbkseller member

Josephine: so, My doctor called in a cream for me to try. It's TRIAMCINOLONE 0.1% CREAM 30GM ..so hoping that it helps. But...now...here's the story. Since the end of June, when I had my antibiotic block and two rods put in my knee, I have been sleeping in a recliner. About two weeks ago I decided that it was time to go sleep in my bed and I was really looking forward to it. I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible backache. I stuck it out for the night, waking up about five more times...hurting. In the morning I could hardly move. It was extremely painful to move at all. So back to the recliner. Last night I decided to try it again. I took a mild muscle relaxer to see if that would help me relax and not tense up my back again. No such luck. Same as before. I woke up four to five times and finally got up out of bed at 4:30 this morning and back to my recliner. I don't really want to sleep in a recliner for the rest of my life. But it is very very painful sleeping in my bed. Please tell me that you have a couple of suggestions...or anyone else who has had this problem.

4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Are you elevating in bed? That might help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sleeping on my back in bed is terrible for my back. I had a backache everyday for months after my TKR surgery and infection until I could spend the majority of the night on my side. Even though you were in the recliner on your back it supports your back differently. Are you able to change positions in bed?

6. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The only way I can sleep on my back is to elevate my legs. I learned to like it so much that I still sleep with my legs up on my foam elevating wedge that the hospital sent home with me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Madbkseller

Madbkseller member

KarriB so... Propped myself up in bed. Still just a little backache but nothing like it was. I think this might work to get me sleeping in my bed again. Thanks for the suggestion,

• Like Like x 1
  8. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’ve been down with the flu and a fall! Ugh! I’m glad it helped to prop yourself a bit. Even with my immbolizer on I managed to sleep a few hours a night on my right side. I’d lay on my right and carefully place my left leg over my right thigh. I couldn’t stay that way all night, but it was great for a few hours. I hope it continues to help.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PegGar16

PegGar16 post-grad

It is n'ice to be able to sleep in your own bed....or even just sleep. How are the antibiotics going?

10. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I slept on my couch until this past week but had the same issue when I did try to sleep in bed. I found on a few occasions when I tried to sleep in my bed if I put 4 pillows against my headboard leaned up against them and did not lay flat I got a bit of relief from the back pain and a little sleep in bed but I'm definitely a side sleeper. I don't have back issues but that pain was so miserable on top of trying to recover so I know how you feel. I hope you can get some relief.