Guest viewing is limited

THR Almost a year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haldox, it could just be your back complaining as you are favoring your bad hip. It took my back ages to calm down after I had my THR. It only takes a very little bit of walking at an angle to aggravate you back. Hang in there!
 
Jamie-I did start out taking 1 aleve 2xdaily but I told the OS it wasnt helping much and he told me I could take 2 2xdaily since I dont handle the prescribed NSAIDs well. Sometimes I take less aleve though because I worry of stomach problems,etc.

Hipmom-Thanks!! Yes MIS THR with anterior.

Jaycey-Im really hoping thats whats going on. I had a few months adjusting post op with my back but the majority of the back issues were gone. I just have that underlying fear that after RTHR my back will stay the same.

I could understand the back issues pre LTHR because I had limped ,etc for so long. Im amazed on just a few months my Rhip gives me trouble Im already deep into the back pain and now the Rhip doesnt hurt as bad as it did!
 
I just have that underlying fear that after RTHR my back will stay the same.!

You may indeed have another adjustment period. Your back has been through alot with hip number 1 and now it will go through more with #2. But just give it a bit of time post your second op. Lots of settling going on. But things will ease.

I could understand the back issues pre LTHR because I had limped ,etc for so long. Im amazed on just a few months my Rhip gives me trouble Im already deep into the back pain and now the Rhip doesnt hurt as bad as it did!

It took me a full year to get my back issues resolved Haldox. Not good news I know. But if you have a history of back issues all the adjustments to your gait and the way you carry yourself are bound to get off complaints.

Ice if you can and take OTC med if you need them. But don't judge your current situation as how it will be forever. Once you have two shiny new hips I am sure your back will settle. :thumb:
 
Thank you very much Jaycey for the kind encouraging words!!

Last night I went to lay in bed and had an awful feeling in my left inner thigh/groin area, felt like that tendon/muscle was pulling(couldnt left leg or sit up without lots of pain). Then it was pain from my left lower back, into my glutes,inner thigh/groin, radiating through my whole upper leg even down into my left foot.

My husband is worried thinking something is wrong with my LTHR(he called it my "prosthetic", I told him I prefer the term "hardware" :th_heehee:)

I can walk but of course I walk like a penguin and I have to get up from sitting or even to sit, really slow as it causes extreme discomfort in that inner thigh/groin tendon thingy.

Any ideas whats going on????:scratch:
 
Haldox, can you do a hamstring stretch when you get that spasm? Or is it too painful? I had those spasms as well nearly 9 months post-op. Heat and lots of hamstring stretches - including doing them when I was seated at my PC throughout the day - helped me.

I'm going to tag Jo and see if she has any input on what might be going on. Hang in there! @Josephine:
 
Yes I tried doing that first thing, stretch it out but ya , makes it way worse. I could also describe it has something is feeling like its "caught" up and the inner groin thing is about a constant ache this morning but more sharp when moving.
 
That's exactly what I had. I fact at one point I couldn't sit or lay down without screaming. I had to wait for the spasm to subside. But like you I had that dull ache.

Sounds like the nerve is aggravated. Jo should be around soon.
 
Thanks JO, I checked out the Iliospoas syndrome thread and did the iliospoas stretch. Felt good while doing it but when I stand back up also when walking, back to that sharp pain in groin area. Also bringing knee to chest doesnt work.
 
Haldox, I can't remember - did you have post-op PT? You might want to ask for some sessions. Those of us with back problems sometimes have a more complicated recovery. Deep massage and some good stretches prescribed by a good PT might help.

So sorry you are suffering with this!
 
Yep I had full in home and out patient PT. I called OS and waiting for a call back.

Just wonder if R hip set off back and back is now setting off L hip? Whatever it is just sucks LOL worse than the back pain
 
Please let us know what your OS says. :console:
 
Haldox, I hope you get your back problem sorted. Seems as one bit of us gets repaired, another bit starts complaining.

I was shocked on my xray to see how tilted up to the right my pelvis was, my spine has bent in the same direction. Pre op absolutely no back pain, since op on left hip, oh boy, I get out of bed some mornings and my back hurts more than my repaired hip. Takes me ages to get upright !!

Perhaps when we get our right hips sorted, our backs will get sorted too, here's hoping.
 
Those exercises aren't a quick fix, Haldox. You have to do them for several days before you get any improvement. But be sure to start off gently at first and work up to the really gutsy stuff!

If the Piriformis stretch doesn't work, get a ball, a round bottomed glass or even a teacup, lay on the other side and use the item to massage the area hard! Do it where you get at the most sensitive point. If you're not on that sweet spot, it's a waste of time.
 
Hi Haldox,

Are you feeling tenderness & discomfort on the tendon that is right in the groin as your hip meets the pubic bone? Or is it more to the top and front of your upper thigh -- towards the midline from your incision?

How about a moist heating pad, would that help? I spend time with one on my lower back, upper back and then sitting on it every evening. If it's the tendon in the tendon in the groin you could try to apply some pressure on it as you are laying down in sort of a butterfly position -- soles of the feet together pulled up towards your bottom and knees bent pointing to the sides. Like this only lying down:

[Bonesmart.org] Almost a year!!


I hope you get some relief and do take it easy.
Take care,
Cardie
 


If the Piriformis stretch doesn't work, get a ball, a round bottomed glass or even a teacup, lay on the other side and use the item to massage the area hard! Do it where you get at the most sensitive point. If you're not on that sweet spot, it's a waste of time.

Ok, so I have been wondering how to do that piriformis stretch on the operated side as I can only just get my operated foot crossed and up on top of my knee -- I cannot bring the whole bundle towards my chest to get the stretch though. I can do it great on the other side, but obviously that isn't the tight hip...

Jo are you saying to massage the area on one's bottom with the ball -- or is this more of an IT band area? I am also looking for a decent IT band stretch as I cannot do the foam roller IT band stretch I used to do before surgery -- I think because of the crossing the midline caution...

I like this video but am afraid that I'd pop my hip out of the socket if I tried the stuff he shows -- any opinions???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

Thanks!! Cardie
 
OS's office said most likely my body is compensating for the R hip by putting more weight on the L hip and just aggravating the soft tissues. Also she said this cooler damp weather doesnt help with arthritis and even those with hardware, still will get irritated soft tissues. Nothing sounded alarming to her but just keep watch,stretch, heat and keep up on meds.

Not doing too bad today but then its early and Im being lazy trying to stay off of it but continuing with the stretching.

JO-Yes I know not quick fix but I didnt know if I should've felt that sharp pain again immediately. and pulling knee to chest just causes nothing but pain.

Cardie-Yes right at the pubic bone, when stretching that area there is a tendon or something that you can feel, is where the most pain is.

I did the IT band stretches differently than your video. I did the standing IT band stretch like here. If I didnt feel a good enough stretch after awhile I would slide the leg that is behind even further while bending the knee and holding onto something, keeping back straight.
 
:DOH:I had completely forgot about the TENS we had and put it on yesterday. WOW-what a complete help. As long as it is running I barely have any pain in the left leg. It has a timer so I feel asleep with it on last night and slept pretty good without pain meds!!! I put all four nodes on the leg but I think today I will put 2 on the leg and 2 on my lower back. Cant believe I forgot about the thing!
 
So glad to hear the TENS worked.

I thought about you this morning as I woke up with the same pain you are describing. Been doing the IT Band stretches and taking Tylenol. Man - if it's not one thing it's another!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom