Guest viewing is limited

1st post-op visit - big surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanagirl:)

junior member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
85
Age
80
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
I really need some input on this from any of you hippies or mother hens who may know about this.:biggrin:

I hope I am needlessly worrying......

Yesterday hubby and I went to 1st post-op visit, which is an evaluation of your ambulation, etc. done by a PT. (Note: you don't see the doc till the second post-op visit).

So she put my new xrays up and she told me that my R implant went in without glue or anything, but that my L hip had to have 2 screws in it. My husband noticed it right away on the xray.

Two screws!! :skeptical::skeptical::skeptical::skeptical: What does this mean for my prognosis? :what: The PT said she didn't know why the doc felt he needed to put these in, perhaps the bone was "too soft" or something. Say what??? Too soft??? What does this mean? :scratch::scratch:

Then she said something I didn't quite catch (and Im going to call her to ask her) but it was something like - "in a few weeks those screws won't be an issue at all." Huh?? Now my left hip is still quite tender with some pain on walking, but this is normal, I know.

I just wondered if anyone knows about screws going in there and what is the long-range outlook for that?

On the positive side - the visit went great! I am cleared to drive, got off the Coumadin and switched to ASA 325 bid. Got released from 90 degree precautions (but done abuse it), and I got some new exercises.

With all that good news, I just need to hear more info. about the screws.

Thanking you in advance - all comments are welcome! :THUMB::THUMB:
 
I'm going to tag Jo so that she can respond to you. @Josephine:

I recall cases of folks here on BoneSmart who have had a couple of screws put in as part of a hip replacement, so I really don't think it is anything particularly odd.

But....having a PT explain it the way you indicate is horrible to me! This information should have been passed to you by the surgeon who could tell you exactly why things were done that way. Frankly I've never heard of a PT being put in a position to do this type of evaluation. But....I guess that's the way your surgeon's clinic does business.

All in all, the appointment went well for you and I think you're doing fine. Of course you can expect some tenderness in either hip this early in recovery....and especially for the left that was just done less than a month ago.

Please don't worry!!
 
That was a very unprofessional thing for that PT to say and she doesn't know as much about THR as she thinks she does. There are certain implants (including the kind that I have) that are designed to be used with screws. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it (or you).

Definitely talk to your surgeon about it when you see him, if it will make you feel better, but please try not to worry about it in the meantime. I'm sure it's not a problem at all. Maybe if your surgeon wants you to have PT you can find a different therapist, since this one seems a little uninformed.
 
No worries, yana. Many hips are designed to be used with screws, some have one, some two and there is one - loke the one below - that uses three! You obviously have one of those types. They are used very commonly with uncemented hips and sometimes in cemented ones.

[Bonesmart.org] 1st post-op visit - big surprise
 
Aw Yana - bad way to find this out. I hope the advice you got eased your mind. Sounds like this is totally normal!

Glad you are driving again and off your restrictions. Enjoy!
 
Aahhhhhhhhh I thought I noticed 2 screws on my xray ..............but didn't give it a second thought! Glad to hear it can be normal though.

Lisa
 
Well. OK. I am working on accepting the screws as normal.

In the PT's defense, I can't be 100% certain I heard about the screws for the first time from her. The doc may have mentioned it in the hospital in recovery or during rounds. But you know how groggy you can be in the hospital. So....I can't be sure.

On my next visit, MD will be present and I will ask the questions about this.

I just feel bad because I wanted two "perfect" hips (who doesn't?? LOL.:th_heehee:) and now I have one that's not. BooHoo.:cry: I'll get over it!:snork:

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.:cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Yana, you do have two perfect hips. One is just in there a bit more securely!
 
Well, thank you Jaycey!!! :THUMB::THUMB:

What a wonderful comment! :cat-kittyandsmiley: :doggieshmooze:

Of course I do! :loveshower: My viewpoint was just skewed in an
unhelpful way.:scratch:

Now I see the light!! Well done, as usual! :yay::happy dance::wub2:
 
Yes, that comment about soft bone was way out of order. She obviously had no idea what she was talking about!
 
Well others have pretty much said what I want to. I also can't believe they have a pt playing that role. Was it definitely a PT and not a PA? The whole thing was unprofessional; whatever their background, they need to have someone meeting with patients who are going to be able to accurately answer the patients' questions.

Yanagirl, there is nothing imperfect about having screws as part of your hardware! I have two uncemented hips and they both have two screws. I think they're kinda cool to look at. Also, it is not that unusual that you would have somewhat different issues from one leg to the other. Again, my doc put the same implant in both legs, but found during the second operation that I have a "different anatomy" in that hip and he had to take extra time to get the legs the same length. That is what good surgeons do: whatever it takes to give you two perfectly functioning hips!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom