Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Karringtyn, sorry to take so long to reply, I've had my 2 year old grandson for four days - enough said!
I begged my OS to do another TKR instead of an arthroscopy, but he won't do it, he says there is still life left in the knee and it will be better to have my knee than another metal one, even though it is inevitable, even the doctor who did my guided injection using the ultrasound scanner said that there wasn't much life left in that knee. Knowing how good my RTKR is, I'm happy to go straight into another TKR, rather than mess around with arthroscopies, but it's not to be. Today my left knee kept giving way, and it is getting increasingly painful, carrying a 2year old hasn't helped it.
After my first arthroscopy, on a Friday, I returned to teaching the following Wednesday, but it was a mistake, it never really healed properly and was always painful,so after the second one I took two weeks off and then it was the Christmas holidays, and the long rest was much better. I didn't know all about icing and elevating in those days, and only did it in the evening, not enough. The pain really isn't bad, I was only on co-codamols for 3 or 4 days, I did get more PT sessions than I had with the TKR, and was returning for weeks for (free) sessions. I will take Josephine's advice, and tell him he is not to trim matter away, just remove any loose bodies than the finds floating around in there. Do you have a date yet? Mine will be Aug 16th, I am going to ask if I can have a spinal rather than a general anaesthetic, but I don't know if that's possible. Ive got my pre op appointment the end of next week, so I'll ask then. Good luck, xxx
 
Thanks @Ellejay. Mine is August 1st...next Friday. He said I would most likely be out of work for three weeks.....I am scared. As I was reading your response...I was shaking my head. I don't want this arthroscopy...If he KNOWS I need a TKR why bother? Thank you for mentioning pain meds....that's another worry of mine....I don't ever want to be on anything again. It caused SOOOO many more problems....ugh.

My pre-op is Wednesday. The brand new hospital opened...so it will be there...kind of excited about that part! :)

Again thank you to everyone for your feedback.

I know it's a "walk in the park" compared to tkr...but I'm scared. Last time I had a microfracture/debridement and that bought me almost 2 years.....I am just tired of hurting....
 
Surgery was changed till August 12th. Not happy. And they had nothing sooner. My one year wedding anniversary is August 17th. I had planned on doing something special......I just wish I knew how I will feel afterwards....ugh.....
 
You will be fine- so long as you weren't planning on celebrating by climbing a mountain :hiking:. Just take it easy afterwards and it will heal properly. We are both in exactly the same position, we'd rather have the TKR than have to go through this, then a TKR at a later date, which, we know, for both of us is inevitable. But the OS 's think they know best. I've been hobbling around today with a knee support on, because the cortisone injection has decided to wear off suddenly, and so I haven't had time to get used to the pain, I'd forgotten how bad it is. I'd planned a day out next week with my daughter & DiL but I don't think I will be going, I can hardly walk. You're not having to work are you? I couldn't imagine that.
 
Nope he took me out of work two weeks ago...thank God. I know...we are in the same position. The injection worked for a week...I was so excited..it is bad now...ughhh!
 
@Ellejay hi sweets...I have been miserable.....I have had kidney infection and passed two stones...but they put me on potent stuff so I can be cleared for surgery in 9 days..how about you?? How are you?
 
Oh, that's awful for you, you have every right to be miserable, you poor thing. I understand that kidney stones are very painful to pass, you just don't need more pain, I am so sorry.
I'm not too bad, my left knee is getting worse by the day, it is quite swollen by each afternoon, and is painful if I move in my sleep. I just can't see that this key hole op will make it as good as my right knee. Mind you, that one is suffering a bit, I have joined ODIC this week, but I think generally compensating for the left knee is making the right one swell and stiffen. I'm sending hugs and best wishes to you, I will be thinking of you on the 12th, I follow you on 16th. Xxx
 
Hi @Karringtyn just wanted to pop by and see how you are. Kidney stones - ugh, you poor thing that must be so painful. I just cannot imagine .......

I've just been reading your conversation with @Ellejay about your upcoming arthroscopies. I hope that they go well, but would say that there is nothing to be concerned about, as in my experience they are nothing compared to the TKR. Sure, you will be a bit stiff for a couple of weeks and have to do some exercises that you will recognise SO well, but the pain relief you get will far outweigh the discomfort. You will be able to walk about without too much trouble straightaway (I got up, didn't ring for assistance and walked unaided to the bathroom 2 hours post op) and although you may want a bit of low key pain relief for the first couple of days, it really shouldn't be too painful, just a bit stiff and swollen. All things that you will recognise and deal with expertly!

When I had the arthroscopy on my TKR knee I had been literally in agony for months. I was awake all night, every night. I could hardly walk on it and sitting in a car was a nightmare. I was told that the much anticipated TKR would be the next step. I had it done ( meniscus repair, trimming, washout, and a bit of work to the patella) , took a co-dydramol at night just for a couple of days, then flew back to the Middle East 5 days after. I had no PT for 2 weeks and just did the exercises I had been given. 3 PT sessions later I was out of pain - mobility, bending, extension, balance and weightbearing were all fine. In fact my PT wouldn't charge for the 3rd session as she said that there was nothing further that she could improve. 6 weeks after I was walking around Jordan on holiday.

I know that @Ellejay and yourself know that another TKR is inevitable - but what I had done truly bought me a few decent years on a totally clapped out knee.

I will be thinking of you both in a couple of weeks. Love and hugs winging their way

XXX
 
@dogwheels thank you! Nothing can even come close to a TKR....I know this and I keep repeating that to myself...over and over. I think I am just afraid to wake up and have that pain I had on knee replacement day....I know I know..it won't happen!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath


XXXX
 
@Karrington - seems like time went so quick! I wish you all the best today!
 
Real problems getting on the threads today, but I've managed at last, Good Luck, you will be fine xxxxx Chat soon xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Karringtyn, how did it go? Did you have to insist the OS didn't cut any cartilage away? How is your pain now? Will you have any PT? When I went for my pre op the nurse couldn't answer any of my questions, I have to wait until Saturday morning just before the op which doesn't seem fair. I want to know if I can travel to France on Aug 30th, when I will be able to swim and cycle, will my stitches be dissolvable....I just hope I won't need to cancel my trip to France, or indeed the operation!
I hope your recovery is going really well and that you are not in too much pain now. Lyn xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Karringtyn - do hope everything went well and you are well on the road to recovery once more.

@Ellejay - I really wouldn't worry too much about your holiday, as long as you are not planning too much enthusiastic athletic activity!! The worst thing with mine was, (as per usual), my OS made me wear the delicious compression stockings for a fortnight afterwards and in Abu Dhabi heat, it was not at all pleasant! 5 days after the arthroscopy I was allowed to fly back (7 hours) on the proviso that I moved about inflight and didn't get stuck in one position and it was all perfectly fine. At about 8 days post op I walked about a mile along the promenade and stood to watch the Red Bull Air Show and then walked back home again. The 3 tiny scope incisions were healed in no time, and I had steri strips to close them. I went in the pool daily at about 10 days or so to do exercises. I followed the Physio instructions myself for a couple of weeks post op and then went to a PT for a couple of sessions for 'fine tuning'.
My guess is that you will have no probs travelling as long as you are not too cramped and have regular stops to move about a bit. You will know the exercises to do as well as any PT! Once the incisions are healed you should be OK in a public pool. No idea regarding the swimming or the bike - you'll be a bit stiff while the tissues calm down, but I am sure after a TKR you will take this in your stride (ha ha I did a funny there).

Good luck and lots of wishes for a speedy recovery, both of you.

XXXX
 
I am back! Surgery was an hour....I finally was home about 5. I was sooo hungry.

Yes I had a debridement done. I will do whatever it takes to prolong another replacement. He said my knee was really bad, almost a mirror image of my other knee....with potholes and all. It hurt so bad overnight last night but I was like THIS is a piece of cake compared to knee replacement.....it's like healing so quickly compared to a knee replacement...it's crazy because my RIGHT knee is so strong right now....I have follow up next Thursday then I will get stitches out and know a little bit more...knee replacement is inevitable but I hope I have bought some time....I am just not going to suffer as long as I did with the right knee. Thank you ALL!!!! xoxoxo
 
Good to hear from you @Karringtyn and I'm glad to hear that all is well. I suspect I am going to hear exactly the same as you, walking is very painful on my left knee now, and climbing stairs is a once a day event only. Thank you @dogwheels for putting my mind to rest, I've had two arthroscopies, but they've got muddled with the memories of the TKR, especially as one of them was the same hospital and OS as the TKR and now I'm just not sure what I did or didn't do afterwards. I know I went back to work far too early after the first one, which is probably why I needed the second one so soon after.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom