TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
MRI results are in....the left knee is far worse than he anticipated. I have arthroscopic surgery August 1st to see exactly what is going on. I am out of work yet again.

NOT happy.
 
Thank you. He is very doubtful. He said he has never seen a MRI almost mirror the other knee. All the damage is on the outside and middle compartment which he also said he rarely sees.

I also just got the call that my best friend has just days to live. I went to visit her two days ago. She was diagnosed with colon cancer 6 weeks ago and it has spread fast. She is only 45 :(
 
@Karringtyn. I'm so sorry to hear about all that's going on with you. Sometimes it just has to get worse before it gets better. Cancer is such a horrid disease. My twin sister had been dx with breast cancer at 39 and 4 yrs ago dx with stage4 bone cancer. She's amazing and won't let it get to her. She is my hero.,.so if I complain about an ache or pain I look at her filled with pain patches and smiling, I shut my mouth.
At least as my sister would say it's a surgery not a life sentence disease. You will get better. You will do whatever it takes to beat this knee up til it gets better. It will work out. You're young and this is just one way to make your life better for you. I know this sounds a bit sermonish but I do believe God gives us what we can handle. Prayer r with you and your friend at this time
P.s. I'm not really a religious person, but I do believe in signs!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So sorry to hear about your friend. That is much too soon. Hope all goes well with your knee - I am in the process if getting my left tkr done in September. I wish you all the best!! Xoxo
 
HEY !!! my friend, @Karringtyn , Its been awhile . Ive been checking in on you now and again. Im so glad that your TKR is doing well, but unfortunately , only to have the other knee act up with a vengeance. Hopefully they can salvage a year or two with arthiscope. If not, you know the deal , stupid meds , elevation and ice around the clock . Seems along time ago , we where all doped up messaging each other , but its almost 5 months. Hope you dont have to deal with that for a long while. So other than this new knee issue I hope you are fine , im sorry to hear about your friend, she much too young. It seems like the older we get , the more we have to deal with cancer, heart attacks and death. It sucks. I accept my fate , whenever it is but I wanna be healthy while im alive, still breathing. That why I fixed my knee , to have better quality of life, but since im back working , I dont enjoy doing things, activities. Too tired. At least im not nearly as exhausted after work like my first 2 weeks back . Im getting back into the mix . I need to get back into the gym ! Well best wishes , your recovery buddy , ivan aka iceman
 
Ice!!!!! :) Good to hear from you....

So my dear friend passed away early Friday morning...I have been a mess. Between my brother dying...then her finding out about cancer and then it spreading quickly in 6 weeks I can't stand it. I have surgery in 16 days. I need a break. :(

Positive? Knee replacement is doing AWESOME!!
 
Hi @Karringtyn, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, you've had a lot to cope with this year. You need to be really strong and find some positives to get you through - like the right TKR, I'm so pleased for you that that's is doing so well. How is your puppy - getting used to family life now?
My left knee is still great after the cortisone injection I had and I'm so tempted to cancel the arthroscopy I have booked, but last time I did that the pain started the following week, and I was three months down the waiting list again. Thinking of you xxx
 
The left knee is getting worse and worse...it's crazy...I feel so strong on the right side, yet so broken now on the other side. I don't know how to walk now. I have been so use to a limp with the right leg...now it's the left. Stairs...bad leg down first...but wait...it's now a different leg...lol.

Anyone that had an arthroscopy wanna give me what to expect? Heck if I can do replacement...this has to be easy...right?? Just want to know does it hurt? Will I be walking fine? I know silly questions after doing a much bigger surgery, but I am still nervous. @Ellejay ?? @Josephine ?? Also would like to change title of this...."5 months out of RTKR..now scope on left knee" Thanks
 
@Karringtyn Guys I know that have had arthroscopy have been back to playing golf in less than a month if that helps. I haven't had the "pleasure" of an arthroscopy. My other (left) knee needs to be replaced but I am trying to hold off until January with shots of cortisone between now and then. Were it just and arthroscopy I wouldn't wait that long.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The MRI showed I will need a replacement...but because of age....again doc is trying to put it off...trust me I went through this with the right knee.......argh.
 
@Karringtyn - i've had arthroscopies and they're a walk in the park compared to a TKR. I was on pain meds for maybe 2 days and up walking around fairly 'normally' within a week or 2. Heck, after having gone thru the pain of a replacement, I'd probably skip out of the hospital after a scope. ;-) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
 
I had a arthiscope when I was 24 years old for my rupture ACL , only to rupture it again within 6 months. I was playing softball. Originally ruptured it playing basketball. I was walking with crutches and a brace the same day. Pain was minimal. Technology has improved so much since than. You will do just fine. However back than I wasnt bone on bone. Best wishes Karringtyn , Iceman
 
After my arthroscopy, I literally walked to the car. So, no problem. Steps were tough for a bit and of course kneeling, but really a breeze compared to TKR. I don't know why your OS is holding back the TKR. Knowing what I know now, I certainly would not have waited, but hindsight is 20/20.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A scope is so much easier than a TKA. Outpatient surgery. I went into the surgery center at 7:00 and was home by 10:00. My scope was because there was a loose body caught in the joint. When he got in there he also trimmed the torn meniscus and said my knee was bad. A lot of spots where the cartilage was worn away. I had to use crutches for a week or two and also had to do a few weeks of PT just because I couldn't get the extension to 0. In hind site I just wasn't educated on what to do after surgery. I did ice and elevate tho a lot. I still had pain in that knee for a couple of years. It too has to be replaced but my surgeon thinks I can get by another 3-5 yrs. my left knee has had to do a lot of work while my right is recovering from a TKA. Going back to work on Monday so I anticipate even more achiness and pain in my left knee. I think my left knee has maybe one more year. But maybe when I'm fully healed from my RTKA my left will calm down. But I definitely have no regrets and will not hesitate when it's time to replace my left knee. Hoping the scope can buy you some time. Best wishes!
 
Thanks all for the input. I know 100 percent I need a TKR on that knee too. Trust me I will go through formality for insurance...because you truly don't know what is inside that knee till they are in there....but I am not waiting like I did for the other...not knowing how much better I feel now that it's done..
 
I'm the same way. It's inevitable, why wait and be in pain while waiting? When the surgeon got in there to replace my right knee he said I probably waited too long - it was that bad. But he's the one that wanted me to wait as long as I can, just because of my age. Well, with knowing that how long is going to be too long for my left knee?
 
@midwest girl EXACTLY my thoughts...thank you! I was very point blank with him...I am not enduring this **** much longer. I see how beautiful my right knee is...yes it swells and it hurts...but I can live with it.....I am NOT doing it again....going through extensive knee pain with my other knee while my beautiful new knee has healed amazing....I will fight it. After looking at my MRI he said "I will do the scope and try to buy time...it will just come down to how long you can handle it. Guess what? I might as well forge ahead...I can't relive the past 3 years.....the past 5. since replacement...though challenging.....I would do it in a HEARTBEAT!
 
Anyone that had an arthroscopy wanna give me what to expect?
My surgeon won't do diagnostic scopes - says they are a waste of time and money. You can see all you need to see on the xray so why bother. I agree with him 100%. However, I did have a scope on my right knee by a surgeon before he joined the team and as I recall, the surgeon wanted me to have 6 weeks off! Since I was already in the mire with too much sick leave, I knew that wasn't a possibility so I took two weeks leave and then went back to work with a TENS machine on my knee! Worked a treat too. (Surgeon was furious when he saw me at work! :snork:)

I also had a left scope about 5 months after my right TKR as the arthritis had shredded the cartilage. I was very surprised at how much that ached and how much I needed pain meds. But I was retired by then so that was okay.

Point is, it depends what he's intending to do. If he's just going for a look-see and nothing more, okay. But if he's said something about 'tidying things up in there' tell him you definitely don't what him to do that. Because what that means is he will get in there with a mini power tool and start shaving off all the rough edges caused by the arthritis. That's not in your best interested because it will simply advance the damage that the arthritis is causing and that's painful enough already! So make it clear to him that he does not have license to any debridement (pronounced "dee-breed-mont"). You are allowed to do that. It's part of your formal consent for surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom