TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ellejay I am sooo excited for you!!!

Thank you everyone.......things are going great...LOVE my job and being back....people at work were like "you glide around here now" lol I do.....I still hurt but it's tolerable....Still doing PT 3 times a week....and getting so much stronger.....
 
@Josephine Hi hon...just curious how long is typical for patients of tkr to be on pain meds? I know vague question....but I am just curious.

Life is going well. PT yesterday was 45 minutes...lots of machines and one exercise that I stood on one leg and through a ball into a trampoline on it's side and caught it...it was hard at first...but pretty cool to work on balance. My body is changing and I feel the strength. Pretty sore today so laying low...need to go out later and pick up our new car, finally trading in the mini van. Sigh. :)

Life is changing in ways I could only imagine before. Up to waitressing 3 days a week....love just getting out of the house....lots of ice after tho!!
 
Hi @Karringtyn, I've often wondered that, I still take 2 x paracetamol at bed time, but still wake up at about four in the morning in pain, but sort of thought I shouldn't still be taking anything (well, not for the TKR knee, the other one is a different story, but hopefully the injection tomorrow will sort that one out).
I'm so happy for you, you should be really proud of yourself, really getting your life back - playing ball on a trampoline?????? I'm full of admiration.
Good luck with the new car, xxx
 
I had my 3 month check up today and was told I was doing fabulous! He actually told me to stop being so hard on myself. Refilled my Oxy no questions asked. I only take it first thing in the morning to jump start my day and then can get by with OTC painkillers. Rode our bicycle built for two tonight after work with my hubby!!!! I was so excited. Got the go ahead for Zumba class!!! I never would have believed this 3 months ago!
 
That's all fantastic news @Nana Mo, I'm sure you are very pleased and you should be really proud of yourself, you have come a long way in three months. Life now gets better and better - enjoy!
 
how long is typical for patients of tkr to be on pain meds?
As long as you need them! Personally I was taking my full whack of pain meds for 4 months! That was Tramadol and paracetamol 3-4 times a day. Though each day varied and some days I would take none, others I would take it 4 times a day. It's entirely your call.
 
@Karringtyn You are indeed living proof that a picture is worth a thousand words. Your smile, the balance and the "can do" attitude are all an inspiration to everyone. Way to go Karringtyn!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
thank you @Josephine I am finding that if I take the pain pills as prescribed...I am MUCH better at handling all the PT. I am really working hard at PT and at Waitresssing. yesterday was an extra long shift of 6 hours and it went well. I do have to call the surgeon though as my left knee is now feeling the impact of it being favored for the three years after I broke right knee....

I think of each of you often. Thank you for your kind words!!
 
I am really working hard at PT and at Waitresssing. yesterday was an extra long shift of 6 hours and it went well.
Why? If you are working hard at your job you don't need exercises as well! Either one or the other, not both. That's what we in the UK call "over egging the pudding"! (Google it!)
 
@Josephine because waitressing is one thing and PT is helping me get my walk back I limped for three years so badly my gait was unbelievably off. I now schedule Pt on my day off.....I am thankful I am in PT....I wouldn't have made such leaps and bounds without it...
 
So my left knee is having major issues....and I was warned this would happen because it was always favored for the 2 and a half years after I broke the right one. It feels just as my right one did before I went in for the scope two years ago....it feels like something is catching and it causes me to lose stability.....the crunching from the calcium deposits I swear gets louder each day....(I know exaggeration!)...but really the right knee is doing great. A lot of the exercises I am doing in PT are more for me gaining balance, something I have lost BIG time over the past couple of years. I have one exercise I do that I stand on the Right leg......balancing...I throw a ball into a trampoline and catch it. Sounds easy? Nope it's not for me. It's challenging and I LOVE it. Nothing in PT is painful, but rather a workout and a challenge. My bend is 120....and I feel good. I am still on the pain meds....and as much as I fought it, I am ok with it, because it is helping me gain the strength and get everything going. People at work say I glide around now.....I just laugh at that...I hardly call it gliding....When I get to 5 hours......I am like BEEP BEEP BEEP time is up, I can't do anymore. It is great to be able to balance the trays up above my shoulder again and carry them.

I have to work on seriously getting the weight off. I know this and it is something that I have to continue to work hard at. I am down about 20 since surgery and now that I am really active I am hoping that it will come off easier and more steady. I have about 75 I have to lose and I have set it realistically that I want to be down that on my one year KNEEversary.

It's hard to believe it's almost June. I am back to work, loving my job, loving my new knee....and I have been mowing the grass, planting flowers, we are putting in a veggie garden, I am back to the living. I could have never ever dreamed this 4 months ago.
 
@Josephine because waitressing is one thing and PT is helping me get my walk back I limped for three years so badly my gait was unbelievably off. I now schedule Pt on my day off.....I am thankful I am in PT....I wouldn't have made such leaps and bounds without it...
That's okay - agreement with me is not mandatory! :heehee:
 
Well I will find out next Monday the fate of my other knee. The pain has gotten horrible and I decided I couldn't wait till my next knee replacement check up, I needed to do it soon. So I called and explained what was going on and they got me in fairly quickly for that office.

Now...good news...Knee replacement is GREAT! Bend, extension...everything is where it should be. Pain is a zero most days..on light pain med when needed.....but the other knee...it is BAD. I am trying not to get fearful of another replacement again...maybe it just needs a quick scope and I will be fine.

Working 3-4 days a week and PT 3 days (only 2 this week because of holiday)....I really love PT...I leave there feeling balanced again and truly limber. It's a good feeling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom