TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp...of course the knee knows what's best...and I'm back in bed...I wayyyyyy overdid it. Really need to listen to my own body!!!
 
And you busted my chops about overdoing it !! LOL. I know all about the iceing, good thing ice is practically free. I overdid it Monday at OPT and the gym . Overall im so happy for you. You really worked hard to get to where you are at . Patience is a virtue. Im so glad we were here for each other during our recovery, as im getting close to going back to work in May and I wont be on bonesmart nearly as much as I am . As for reminding our selves , that we are still way to early in our recovery , it a learning curve. Somethings inflame my knee while somethings dont. Like weightlifting and training. I need to take it easy. Enjoy the weather . Its gorgeous here in the Bay Area. I need to work on my California tan . Best wishes kiddo !
 
PT was WAYYYY too much on Tuesday. I limped after and all day yesterday....Back to PT today and did a little better. It's my own fault...I pushed it and I knew I was....I just want it now. I really need to remind myself it's a journey.

Unfortunately as of right now, it doesn't look like I will be back to work on projected date. And I am bummed.
 
@Karringtyn, I have been a lurker on Bonesmart almost since the day I joined. I was on the site every day and devoured everyone's stories and experiences. My bi-lateral knee replacement was 3/12/14, and it has not been the picture-perfect experience I was hoping for. The 1st 4+ weeks were brutal, and as hard as I would try to be positive, I found myself feeling sad and alone. And I wasn't at all alone -- I have a wonderful daughter who came home from CA to stay with me for 10 days; I have a wonderful husband who has been here for me 24/7 doing everything possible to help me. I have great friends who brought over meals and sent countless emails, cards, phone calls, etc. But I was battling inner feelings of failure and pain and depression almost daily. On Wednesday of this week, I think I cried the entire day and night. I (thankfully) was home alone, as my husband had to work. I just couldn't get ahold of my emotions, and it was a very hard day. I even cancelled my therapy appointment on Thursday, thinking I couldn't possibly do it. Thursday morning came and I had new resolve -- called and got my appointment back, and went in and did my best. Thursday afternoon (yesterday), I logged into Bonesmart and happened onto your profile, particularily the entries you made when you were at your very lowest. I believe it was approximately at your 5-week anniversary. Your thoughts and words mirrored my feelings yesterday. I felt like giving up and would just be one of those who never got better. But I stayed up late into the night, reading your progression and all the encouraging entries from so many wonderful people. I was easily able to put myself into your place and almost feel the same encouragement coming to me as well. So, today, I am starting out with NO tears! (well, maybe a few, as I write this! :0) ) I am just 5 weeks out, and feeling like I should be much better. But you thought the same thing...and now, at 8 weeks...you are fabulous! I want to be fabulous also!!

So, just wanted to let you know that you, along with so many others on this site, have helped me in more ways than you can possibly imagine. My husband, family, friends, etc., can give all the sympathy and kindness in the world. But not having experienced it, they don't understand the deep, relentless pain; the sense of helplessness at not being able to do things for yourself; the sadness for no logical reason; Only those of us who have been through it can understand. And, somehow, that helps make it a little better.

Please keep posting when you can (knowing your life is now getting much busier and fun!). You have helped me more than I can possibly say! I look forward with great expectations to my 8 week anniversary, and anticipate I will be able to look back at today's entry and realize things are much better!

Thank you to all who write here so frequently -- you are a great comfort!
 
@chandler tears streaming down my face.

Recovery is a rollercoaster. Up and down and all around. I am at a tough point right now pain wise....but my attitude is good. I am ready. I got this.

I am so glad I helped you. See it's a pay it forward. Write. Write your experience so that others will see and learn and be comforted by it. Bonesmart was my life line I needed (and still need)... I am at 9 weeks now....it's been a rough week.....but I KNOW this happens...as I get stronger....and I will....I will OVERCOME this. Just can't get stuck in the LOWS.....just focus on the UPS.

The day I came out of surgery I was 100 percent better than the moment I was wheeled in For you see I had a second chance. Praise the Lord.
 
Karringtyn - so sorry you are in pain again, it is too easy to overdo it, I have with my 'good' knee and I'm back to a stick, a buggy when I'm shopping and heavy pain killers. It was so good to have a week of pain free walking, we know we will get back there again, just patience and perseverance. Sorry about your start date possibly being delayed, I'm thinking of you xxEllejay


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Karringtyn ! Long time no post from me. Worked the last 2 weeks. This week full bore, including being on call. The hardest part? Fatigue. I was in surgery yesterday from 0730-4:30. Went to office and then home. Just crashed! Thought I was going to fall asleep driving! Went back to hospital this morning (Saturday) for about 4 hours. Came home and slept for 45 minutes! ****! The knee feels ok. Stiff, a little sore, but no real pain. I think you will be fine. Just remember that fatigue is normal for 3-4 months after surgery. It is weird, but real
Braindoc


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Karringtyn, I am so happy to hear how your recovery is coming along. It's fantastic that you were able to sit on the floor! You are such a good writer and your positive spirit has infused my pre-op so much so that it feels like I am a completely different person than when I was preparing for my THR. :flwrysmile:I am really trying to keep with listening to my knees; I am lucky that they are not severely painful (4-5 scale now), but I know that my preemptive strike of replacement will allow me to have a good life being active. I think I understand intellectually that there are some hard days ahead. I had many with my hip, but I believe the difference is knowing that that remarkable healing will take place and I'll be back in the swing on on my way. The good news is the brain is magic in that it muffles the hardest days over time and leaves more positive feeling than painful ones. I wouldn't trade my new hip for anything and I'm looking forward to saying the same thing about my knees.

Thank you for sharing your recovery. Your humor, wit and perseverance are inspirational! :wow:
 
@braindoc oh my friend it is GREAT to hear from you!!!! LOVE hearing you are doing so well!!!!

@Ellejay thank you.......

@TracyW Thank you for your words. Can you tell I am a writer? I love to write and I do best when I don't have to speak the words outloud!

Yes, there are tough moments...but during those...if you focus on the END result, that this is temporary pain.....you will SHINE! I am almost 10 weeks out. I am getting there. But here and now is so much better than the morning of February 11th.... :)

It use to be one step forward and two steps back...now I am gaining speed and momentum....two forward and maybe a half back....

I've got this.
 
Girl you are doing so go. Hang in there. I am still slow going 1 foot at a time. :kitty:Still have to deal with nerve pain and ODIC. When things feel good have to watch it, it is easy to overdo it. :doggie: Wish I could run, but that is not going to happen in near future. I can walk and use stationary bike. Don't think I could ride a three bike very far. I wonder. I still have to take a :sleeep:after my almost daily walks weather and knee allows. Wish I was at the beach and walking in the sand. Wishing you continuous:bicycle1: progress one step at a time. You go girl.
 
@Karringtyn, hi hon, I have now read your thread from start to finish and have found your story so inspiring. I am 4 and a half weeks post op now and i have found this recovery so so hard. It is testing me and my family to breaking point sometimes. I see my daughter who has ME trying her very best to do everything she can for me, even though she works from home part time and feels sick and very tired a lot of the time. I see hubby who works long hours rushing around when he gets home from work trying to cook meals and help me with things I can't yet do myself. I am still walking with two crutches as I'm worried I am not walking straight enough with one. My knee still feels so tight, I have to work it so much to get it moving. I long to get back to normality but I know from everyone's stories that this is going to be a long haul recovery. I was so thrilled you replied to my thread and I found your words such a comfort. You are amazing and have come so far. I thought your recent photo was fabulous,, you have lost so much weight, you look amazing. I have put on 4lb since my surgery and am desperately trying not to put on any more. I got to my goal weight at my slimming club the week before surgery so I knew I would have some leeway but I dread putting on more and sadly I haven't lost my appetite like you did after surgery. I hope you are continuing to do my friend and look forward to your updates. Sending hugs of friendship :) xoxo
 
Hi @Karringtyn thank you so much for staying in touch while I was away. I missed you too. I lorikeets out little chats and popping in and of each others threads having a read, not always posting but knowing anytime we will support one another as we so get each other in a lot of ways. I'm sorry you're in pain. I'm supposed to go back to work next week. I can't go I'm still on morphine, can't drive and my knee is painful, swollen and hot. That is despite having everything one level whilst I was away! I just can't seem to win. But hey ho, I'm ail and lucky to be able to tell the tale!!! Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
Hi everyone! Things are great here. I turned a corner and I am good! LIKE real good. I am back to work in 2 weeks. I still hurt but NOTHING like I did. I have UPPED my PT to three times a week starting this next week. I am getting stronger and stronger. I am down 13 pounds since two weeks before surgery. I have gotten SO MUCH stronger.

SO MUCH has been in my MIND fighting it and trusting that knee. KNOWING it is STRONG now and I CAN beat it.

This is a picture of me at 72 days...

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Way to go Karrington! Your new photo is great!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Jozilla thanks...I look like a dork...but that is HUGE success to me. Straight knee...I can balance for a good solid minute and I feel great!
 
@Karringtyn, wow!! You look fantastic. It gives me hope now that I will be like you eventually and be able to do all the things I love again. Xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
That is great balance! I would tip over. You do have a great attitude and I am happy for you that you are returning to work!

Hope you hang around as your posts are great for younger tkr members. Being older I have different expectations about the surgery and different advice to offer.

Your puppies are absolutely gorgeous!!! My daughter has a min pin that wad 4 lbs when she brought her home. I was terrified I would crush her!

Have a great Sunday!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
D'you know what?! I think we need to hear it for the fellas! I read so many posts where the men have been SO supportive and helpful. Mine has been a complete star the whole way through this horrid process. He had a stroke in July last year and, had I known what the aftermath of this op. was to be, I wouldn't have dreamt of having it done. He just has got on with it, day by day, initially all the cooking, cleaning, clearing up, shopping, walking dog etc! I could not have done it without him! LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE FELLAS,


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom