Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just had a quick read of your last couple pages and I have to say hang in there!:thumb: It sounds like you are doing well for how far along you are.... It is a slow recovery.:whistle: I am one of the lucky ones who seems to have a miracle rate of recovery... not always.... I am 4 months out on the second knee and 18 from the first. This site saved my bacon as I followed the good advice I got here and while I would challenge things a bit, I always went back to ice, elevate and rest... Pain meds by the clock. I too have trouble with morphine meds and depression and dwelling on things that upset me. They can cause you to feel alone, abandoned.... Codeine does not affect me the same so I found taking a lower dose of the heavy duty drugs and taking codeine with acetaminophen kept me on an even keel. Check with your family doctor for advice on this. When it came time to lessen the pain pills I went from prescription codiene to over the counter codeine as they are 1/4 of the strength and I could taper off slowly or bump the dosage just a little if needed.
A lot of my "miracle healing " is just straight will power.... I refuse to give in!!!! The 25 years of injuries, suffering and falls due to osteoarthritis first diagnosed when I was 34, was an exercise in stubborn will to not let it get me down. Try to find something you love to do and focus on doing it again.... I think you said you were a runner... close your eyes and think about going on a run (power walk may be a better start) and think about the feel and how nice it will be to do that again. I like to garden but the last few years my knees had gotten to the point that I could not deal with the uneven ground, or go dancing or anything fun. My garden was my focal point. I went for a mental walk in my garden... pulling weeds, picking veggies, planning and building new beds.... All I had to do was close my eyes and meditate on it instead of whatever made me feel sad. That dream has gotten me through to now, as I am starting to do more outside and I no longer fall because I stepped on a tuft of grass and my knees would not support me. I can still only do a couple hours out there without a sit.... but now I can see each little thing that I have not been able to do for years.
You too will reach this point! :yes!:It will be a lot of work on your part but you can do it! It will take some time and a truck load of patience, but you will get there!:flwrysmile:
 
@Dord6712 I wasn't able to walk anymore...I was this close l l to being put in a wheelchair. And I continued to waitress till I could no longer do it. My surgeon REFUSES to just do a surgery. It HAS to be last resort. I Had surgery in May 2012....and I did the shots and everything......it was then that he told me I had two options endure it or go with surgery. I went to get a second opinion. Same result. SO for a year I pushed myself. I lost weight. I cried through the pain. I bought stock in icy hot, bengay and tiger balm. Your body reaches a point where it screams I AM DONE.

I WILL NEVER regret this. I am hands down 100 percent better today as bad as I am.....I am 100 percent better than I was before I walked through the hospital doors on 2/11. I walk with no limp. I am just exhausted....it will take time to recover and sometimes I need that reminder. Keep following me, I keep it real....I won't lie I will tell what it is...the pain meds are making me all over the place.... My therapist said to me last night that this is the most positive she has seen me in years. Yes my therapist for my head lol.
 
This is my FACEBOOK post from my personal page today.....the support was overwhelming...



I am an honest person. I have been extremely honest in sharing of my struggle with my knee pain since I broke it three years ago. I NEVER took pain pills and walked on a broken knee and pushed and pushed myself. I am not a quitter. This surgery has knocked me for a loop. It has taken a very hard worker and knocked me flat on my butt. The pain is like NOTHING I have experienced. Bones were sawed....It has been hell. I always have tried to keep a positive attitude through it. I have cried and cried and through this I have learned my true honest to goodness friends. I don't need people to do ANYTHING for me, I don't need them physically here, because to be honest...right now being around people is NOT something I want. BUT Those that have checked LIKE or sent me a message...it's YOU who keeps me going...to know that I CAN do this. I now have a seven inch scar that will always remind me of this time in my life. I am NOT a pain med person. I always refuse it. Until now. I am taking half of what they prescribed me because I am being (INSERT REAL NAME) And guess what? That has caused issues. Because if one is in pain...they can't do the work necessary. Working out....is HUGE to recovery. I hurt in places I have never worked. If you have seen me I have lost weight...it's pretty amazing. It will only get better. Today sucks and yesterday was bad...but if I compare it to even three weeks ago...leaps and bounds. I am learning to walk all over again. I have walked with a limp for 3 years. My WHOLE walking process is being cracked apart and redone....it's quite odd to say the least...and it hurts like hell. I am not allowed to return to work till I am healed. When does healing occur? Usually 12 weeks is the breaking point. I work a very demanding job as a server.....I couldn't imagine doing that right now......but I will....it's my faith and determination that will get me there. So if you read this...let me know you did.....because I NEED to be heard. Because there is a lot of people that truly I thought would be there during this time.....well quite frankly haven't even said a word. Does it hurt? YUP. But again...I have learned a lot about me and about others during this. I am blessed. Beyond Measure. I am almost to the half way point.
 
I am very happy and relieved to hear you say you absolutely don't regret the surgery. I admit that reading posts that people are not happy makes me so scared. I know my time is coming though and the choice to have replacement will no longer be a choice. One of the reasons I hate that this surgery is considered "elective", oh pahleeze, elective my foot. I have reminded myself on many occasions that in spite of my pain and watching things I once enjoyed get taken away (I was a runner, tennis player, water skier) I haven't lived a life in a wheelchair like so many others and I can still rise from a chair and walk across the floor even if it hurts. I can't wait to read your posts about how far you walked or rode your bike, or shopped all without that awful bone on bone pain. :)
 
I rode my stationary bike for 6 minutes today and did my PT at home. Pretty tired today...I pushed it today...thats for sure.


Didn't have to see Sal the Sailor with the Smokey breath today (that's my pt)....I always envisioned a sexy man lol)...
 
6 minutes is great, now relax and ice and elevate and take you meds. I enjoyed my recliner. And got my best sleep after exersice. glad you are feeling better.
 
Hi @Karringtyn healing will occur when your body is ready and not before. That is what my GP and also now Freddy the Frenchman have both said to me. I cannot wait for the day to come when I can drive and be independent again. I know then when that happens I can go back to work.

I totally get what you mean about not wanting people around you. I get like that sometimes but once they're here I'm actually glad. Then afterwards I say to my husband I don't know why I didn't want so and so here? I really enjoyed the visit. It's crazy and I cannot analyse that one.

Well done on riding your bike for six minutes that is brilliant. Well done you are doing so well. Xoxox

Catch you later, take care and don't overdo things!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
Hi @Dord6712 your post reminded me of how I felt before the op. I'd kind of forgotten. I too was on anti depressants, they are great at masking some of the pain by the way! I was made to come off them in November 2013. 8weeks before my op. Oh my goodness the pain level shot up and I was put on morphine because nothing would touch the pain! I had no choice but to have the op. I was bone on bone and struggling to function. I never went off sick either, even though every day was a living nightmare! The consultant wanted me to wait until I was 60. I fought this. I asked them why they were discriminating against me on grounds of age and that I needed the quality of life now while I'm working now not later!

I went through torture trying to go to work every single day and I was lucky to have a good boss.

You reminding me about preoperative pain has made me realise I've done the right thing. Yes my progress and recovery are slow but hey that's just me!

@Karringtyn was your preop pain like this? Have you got to the stage where you realise this was the right thing to do? If not you will do x x

Take care both

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
My PT did a lot of massaging and stretching of the knee. He says I am funny and that he likes my "tell it like it is" approach. It's just who I am. I am going to just write on here from now on how I feel. I am going to work on not comparing myself with anyone..
There ya go friend!!!! :yay:We appreciate how you are!!! IF we were all the same this ole world would be depressing!!!!! :)

@icep707 My Big bro. Thank you for your honest response. I need to hear when others are hurting still. We are only a day apart...Not that I want you struggling...I want to hear if you are.
:iagree:
I have found that Ibuprofen is helping me sooo much more than tylenol......and really reducing the swelling.
Please be careful @Karringtyn .... I love Ibuprofen and used so much that my blood tests showed it was affecting my kidneys! :sad:It scared me soooooo much so please Don't over due my sweet friend!!!!

I know the post that got you down and it scared me to death too but then I remind myself that when I finally do decide that the day in and day out grinding and pain is enough and I am ready I will have exhausted all options. I've dealt with this a long time and I can't even describe the mental toll it's taken on me.
@Dord6712 ......THAT's THE TRUTH!!!!! I was at the end of my rope too!!! It makes me so happy to stand up and NOT feel one ounce of pain!! I for one am NOT SORRY I had a Bilateral at ALL!!!!

To be able to take a step without grinding pain will be my goal. But....we do know from this forum that it's a long process.
@Dord6712 and it is on the way!!!!!!! AND worth it! :spin:

I bought stock in icy hot, bengay and tiger balm. Your body reaches a point where it screams I AM DONE.
I Did the same thing!!!!! :cheers:

I am very happy and relieved to hear you say you absolutely don't regret the surgery. I admit that reading posts that people are not happy makes me so scared.
I was more scared NOT to have the surgery and that's why I didn't read the negative!!! It is too scary!!!! It just messes with my mind! :)
Everything will be fine!!!!
 
SO because the office didn't call me with my script (that's a story ALL in itself) and I won't get it till tomorrow...I had to switch to cover today and take a different med...one I DO NOT like...I had some sitting here...vicodin and I got so sick off them and well once you throw them up, not in your system...so pain is strong.....but still tolerable.

@suzzee2000 if I told you how much ibuprofen I took BEFORE surgery your head would spin. I am very careful...already have issues with kidneys.

My script will be filled and I will have it tomorrow after hubs gets out of work at 5.......It is NOT my fault I am out of the meds...it's the office...and I truly gave them a piece of my mind...I was overlooked. I said point blank....

LOOK I am FIVE weeks out of TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT I NEED PAIN MEDS. She said....."I AM ON THIS"

Called me RIGHT back.
 
@suzzee2000 if I told you how much ibuprofen I took BEFORE surgery your head would spin. I am very careful...already have issues with kidneys.
That is what happened to me too!!! We are probably twins with the same issues!!!! I Stopped taking it in December and seriously went through withdrawal.......

..I was overlooked. I said point blank....
LOOK I am FIVE weeks out of TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT I NEED PAIN MEDS. She said....."I AM ON THIS"
Called me RIGHT back.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!:yes!:
 
@suzzee2000 I had to stop taking it 5 days before surgery....WOW. Not only was I in pain I was going through major withdrawals!


Today...the pain is a 2. THAT is a first. a 2. TWO TWO TWO.

I can walk without my limp. I did dishes....folded a load of clothes....picked up around the house and have been resting...icing and elevating.

A 2.

This is a first. A FIRST in 3 years my pain is a TWO!
 
A 2 @Karringtyn !!!!! That's great! I am so happy for you. Remember this moment. When you have a bad day, remember that you had a 2 and there will be many more to come :)

I don't write much. I read everyone's posts and get so much encouragement. I'm just not good about posting. I want you to know, everyone, how much it means to hear your stories. They do help! Even just the silly little things. Like your pictures @Karringtyn, holding your breath while doing exercises. I think of it when I am doing mine and laugh. I would HATE to see a picture of me then! I'd scare us all!!!

@Dord6712 don't be scared off. Surgery is a good thing. :)
 
This is progress LUCY LUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!! A 2 !! This great news. Just be cautious not to overdoit. Its so easy to do when pain is well managed. Trust me I know . Isnt it great not to feel that bone on bone feeling. We are still early in the grand scheme of things but this is a big deal . A 2!! Sorry I got to go . I will check in later on you.
 
Jarrington, I've been trying to catch up on your thread and am glad you are doing mush better. I haven't had my knee done yet buy I do know from other experiences that at a pain 2 level pain level it is easy to just keep going. Then it comes back and bites you.

Have a grand day!
 
Hi @Karringtyn I'm so glad you got your meds sorted. Thank goodness for that. I think it's disgusting that they over looked you. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I know you love pictures. I have posted pictures of my three kids on my thread if you want to have a look! Xoxoxo
 
Hope you took hubby up on it and went out someplace fantastic!!
 
Yeah for a TWO!!!! Glad things have turned around a bit for you.. Remember this great day when a bad one creeps up on you again!!!
 
@Derby bwhahahhaha I make the funniest of faces.....and hubs is with me so it makes it even more entertaining. I will look to see if I can find one of my wedding pics that the photographer caught of me......I don't like it mind you, but I laugh when I see it...because it is SO ME!...I held my breath during the entire ceremony...from the point of walking down the stairs to the point that my FIL who was best man......whispered...YOU HAVE TO BREATH...you are white as a ghost! haha

Thanks everyone. I am at a two again today. Last night it shot up to an 8. It was BAD. But I am really learning to listen to my body and STOP when I need to. Like WAYYYY before it screams in pain.

Tomorrow is big Week 6 appt with Surgeon. I adore my surgeon. Not in an ooh la la Frenchman type way @Nana moon 27 @Ellejay etc etc....but more of a .....you know what dude....you kept on me....you told me the way it was....you told me that I had no options....even though I walked away, out of your office...went and got a second opinion (same opinion) and waited a year.....trying to show EVERYONE I could do it......till the point I walked back in....in December of last year.....and I could hear his voice in the next room...I started to cry....because this was GETTING real.

Dr M walked in and said....."SO time for a replacement huh?" And then saw me crying and said "well well I don't usually make the ladies cry" ahahhahaha. There is something about him....he helped me see what I COULD have. But he didn't push me into it. He tried EVERYTHING with me first.....the microfracture, debridement, shots after shots.....and then when knee replacement was the only option...he assured me I would get through it.

I will never forget him saying this....

"you will come to your six week appt and beg me to let you return to work...and the answer will be NO...just so you know this now"

I remember rolling my eyes and saying to him "HA! You know me....watch me....I will return at 6 weeks to work" and he left the room and shook his head...and said "PLEASE DO as you are told....do NOT set yourself back"

He knew me. He believed in me then. Just wait till he sees me.

I am having some pain in my right calf......more of a muscle pain.....PT said it was good that it was hurting there.....but I am not so sure....because it is making me walk weird right now and it hasn't went away in 4 days.

My scar looks worse NOW then it did 2 weeks ago. It is PUFFY. It was flat before.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom