Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all in my thread, title now amended 'Help - advice needed'.
In short, I was fine. Then late yesterday afternoon I started a heel slide quickly, knee hurt badly. Tried to bend knee and I cannot bend it at all. No better this morning. Worried and not happy. Josephine reckons its a torn or strained muscle. All else fine, no pain unless I bend it. Resting, icing and elevating today.
Let this be a lesson - don't rush recovery and don't think those **!!? knees will play nicely. They seem to have a habit of coming up and giving you a kick, just when you think you are doing well.
X
 
@dogwheels I really hope you feel better!!

Myself...well...my puppy peed on one of my blankets on my bed so I stripped the bed down because some got on the sheet....and well...I wasn't paying attention and my feet (with slippers on), I slipped and got tangled up....yeah...wasn't a good scene. AND I couldn't remember if I had taken my last dose..so I thought I would just you know...wait and see because I was feeling good.

I popped a pill quickly and off to bed I went.

Oh the pain. It felt as if it bent WAYYYYYYY too far and got stuck there. I can walk fine....but I am so achey...especially in my foot...my foot swelled up again...(it's happened since surgery)...knee is a little swollen..has never really SWELLED like it did before surgery....but that foot...OH MY!


PT asked me the other day if they ever got a measurement of my leg straight out before surgery and well they didn't......I would love to know...because I think I am right where I was BEFORE surgery......or maybe a little better...

Most of my pain and especially today generates right in the front below the knee....right there....(see me pointing?!)

And my upper thigh still hurts. I knew it was from tourniquet pain before...but it's been nearly 5 weeks...

Off to spend time with 14 year old daughter....she wanted to spend the day with Mom.....woohoo.....big joy that will be for her. Yawn.
 
Hi Karrington - hope you are okay! Make sure you ice it and keep us updated. Seems like a scary weekend for the knees on BS. Mostly enjoy your visit with your daughter!
 
Hi @Karringtyn, picture of Yorkshire pudding as promised:

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
Delicious! Originally, in years gone by, they were served before the main meal with thick gravy, so that hungry folk filled up on them and didn't need so much meat on their plate. Now we just have them with the meal. My family expect them every Sunday, and now my two yr old grandson has discovered them, but he's old fashioned and insists on eating a whole one first! Luckily he has a good appetite and still eats his dinner.
 
@Ellejay I am moving there! That looks wonderful! And anyone from over there is a healthy weight.....not like me and MY American lifestyle! What else is on that plate? I need details please!!



I have been resting much of the day. I am very sore. VERY!
 
Oh, @Karringtyn YOU did exactly what I fear I will do every time I'm up and changing the bedding!! I've almost taken my feet right out from underneath me a couple of times - stepping on a sheet or blanket and trying to pull it at the same time - that'd be really bad. How are you doing now?

My pain has really centered above my knees, right where the quad muscle meets - that's the prime area of swelling along with behind the knee. In my mind, I picture it as a camel hump or something :rotfl:
 
@Bluetechseeker a camel hump. LOL.

Honestly I am not so good right now. I HURT. I can't believe I did that. I was more ticked at myself for not being more careful. I carefully have plotted each and every step I have taken for nearly three years. Suddenly I have a sense of normalcy and I just go with it. Drives me mad. I KNOW better. I just sat there and cried. I am glad someone didn't see me. Because it must have been a sight to see, that's for sure. So today it was a two steps forward three steps back.....but in the whole scheme of things....it's par for the course. These things happen, I will rest for the rest of the day...with this ice (which feels wonderful)..

I am moody as heck today. I don't even like being around me. I have snapped at everyone. I just want to be left alone...and as a Mom and wife, that doesn't happen.
 
I'm sorry you got tangled in the sheets today Karringtyn :sad: In addition to being painful, I imagine it was very very scary while it was happening. Hopefully you will feel better. I'm sorry you're in a mood today too - hope my post didn't have anything to do with that. I sort of set the bar low, and then anything above and beyond is good. My disappointment with my TKR to date is because I set the bar too high and just figured it would all go as planned. Whoopsie - my bad.

How about if we both hop a flight to England and beg some Yorkshire Pudding from Ellejay! :heehee:
 
I'm so sorry you are hurting @Karringtyn, I'm sure a Yorkshire pudding would help:console2:. Also on the plate was roast lamb, roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and purple sprouting broccoli ( it's just in the shops now, the first of the spring veg, I love it).
Wouldn't it be just great if you could just hop on a flight @DogLoverx3, I'd have lots of yorkshires Puds waiting for you :tada:.
I'm off to bed now, enjoy the rest of your day both of you xx
 
I haven't even heard of half the items on the plate! What was my dinner? Oh yes a half of a sub from Subway. I ended up just eating the meet and veggies as the bread was dry. You have me craving pudding....well the pudding from here...the creamy, rich, cold stuff.


Well I slept better than I thought I would. I woke up stiff, but ok. Pain is about a 2. I can handle that. I had 5 bundles of papers dropped off because I have to pull out coupon inserts...so I will do that now.

I am still really tired. I can foresee a nap today. I have PT at 3:30 today......
 
Hi @Karringtyn Iim glad you slept ok and you seem to have recovered from the scare with the sheets. They are deadly things at times. I've tripped over the edge of the quilt before now so I ultra careful to make sure it is on the bed properly. My brother saved me from tripping over my shawl last night. So ,any thing we take for granted suddenly become hazards x x x x good luck with the PT. Don't forget to let me know how you get on x x x
 
OMG my puppy peed on my blanket again. I was very careful but I went bezerk. I text hubby and told him if I don't get out of the house soon I will go psycho...he said simply...babe after PT we will GO ANYWHERE you want.

I love him....... did you all know that???


Reminder...
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
O M G.

I met the most amazing PT today. He was just filling in because my one PT is on her honeymoon...but he KNOWS his stuff. We did stretches and then he attached a belt to my waist and used the straps and we did two laps around the gym.....and he watched me and my pattern of walking. He adjusted it tighter and moved my pelvis. My right leg is moving out more than my left leg so my hip is turning. THAT would be the thigh pain, the hip pain....the foot swelling. He knew NONE of my pains and whoas. He could tell it all by how I was walking. It was amazing. Hubs watched him do it and was amazed as well! I felt soooo good when the belt was adjusted tight...I felt so much relief. I could walk perfect. I felt like I didn't even have knee replacement. HOLY ****. All of that stuff runs together!

I wish he was my therapist and not a fill in. I really like him. He is older. I told him I wasn't going to take any **** from a PT....and he was like "WOW! YOU ARE A STRONG ONE!".......heh. I have to state it stright up.

I have had some emotional breakdowns today. We ended up just doing dinner and then me becoming a crying mess. I HATE this part of me.

I am just up down and all around.

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
I wildly want to be RECOVERED!
 
that's great that the new PT was able to help you with your gait straight away. i've been practically begging for help with my gait from my PT for weeks now and he has yet to have me walk and watch and assess. SOOO glad you met him!

I'm sorry about the breakdowns sweetie and I know it doesn't help to hear that we all have had them, but know how well you are doing and know that i cried every single day for 41 days and used to yell at the walls out of frustration ('cause there was no one else for me to yell at). It will get better. Your hubs and your kids will understand. It's all part of the process and you'll be back to yourself soon enough. I promise. ((hugs))
 
My dearest Karringtyn, ive caught up on your shanigans. Ive cut down on my bonesmart time as im doing more other things . Im 5 weeks today . Im sorry this has been a rollercoaster for you. Just know that we all pray that you recover well. I have cut back on my activity ever since you set me staight. I admit I do have a tendency to overdo it. But lately ive been just relaxing. We just have to be patient , im glad you met that one PT guy, too bad he just fills in , maybe he can write you a routine to do. Can you believe all these bilaterals lately ? Its scary . I dont know if I could have done it with my miniscule support team . Keep your head up , you can do it . By week 12 we will be so much happier and independent. Best wishes for California. Big bro ICEMAN
 
Glad you are making progress. Have you thought about crate training the puppy? It's easy and it's safe for everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom