Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there LeeApril26, before I left hospital, I asked my OS about restrictions going home home his response:

'there is no way you could ever maneuver your leg into the positions I place it in the OR testing your hip stability and I don't expect you will ever get into this position' and he did the funniest tangled movement with his legs wrapping one around the other that I have ever seen!

It was sort of like a rag doll with long dangly legs and when as a child you try to wrap the legs around the other twice! I laughed and he laughed and then explained that it is a pretty extreme movement that causes a dislocation and you would definitely know if you have done it! He then said ' I tried in theatre and couldn't !'

That gave me so much comfort the first time I did the same and bent over and picked up the soap... panic stations... tears... oh my, what have I done? Then hubby got out his iPod with the 3D model of muscles, ligaments, bones etc and I could see that I had given them all a big stretch and they were complaining..

So you did the right thing, rest, elevate, ice and take some pain meds honey :)

How do you stop doing these movements... well I think your sub conscious will now kick in and protect you .. Take care, all will be good, your body kicked in with the 'shock mechanism' and you would have had lots of adrenaline flowing through your system making you shake.

p.s. how I wish I could have taken a photo of my OS I still have a chuckle when I write about it :)
 
LeeApril26/Lenora,

Just read trhough your post. Glad you are doing well. I had my surgery at HSS 3 months ago today. Dr. Alexiades did my surgery (anterior approach). Dr. Boetner was actually the next doctor I was going to see if I couldn't have the anterior. I wish you a speedy recovery.

mj
 
Just read what I wrote. Should have done that before I posted. Sorry for all the typos. I was trYing to write "cane."
Don't worry. I just noticed that I put the wrong hospital in my signature yesterday, one day after surgery. I'm blaming the meds.
 
sandybeach. Thanks for the reassurance. The variation in restrictions and PT timing is odd. I had a lateral, and there is very little discomfort, just heaviness, or at least until today. Now I'm sore. I hope your PT goes well. It's exciting when you finally start to move.
 
Littlejem. You must be very eager to have the second surgery over with. With the un-operated hip hurting enough to need surgery I can see why you'd have to take it easy. My second hip is aching but not painful, so bending wonderfully easy, for the first time in ages.thanks for checking in. Don't push too much.
 
mjmrphy55. I did not think I'd be a candidate for anterior. Given how terrified I was, I found the process at HSS fairly easy, and Dr. Boettner and his staff were wonderful. Hope you are doing well. I am looking forward to the end of restrictions.
 
Poppet. Thank you so much. I was smiling as I envisioned your surgeon. It is very good to know. I scared myself silly, and rested and iced all day. One of my less sensitive relatives felt called to share the story of a post replacement surgical disaster today, so it was a pretty stressful morning. Think I won't take any more calls from her! Thanks again, Lenora
 
Lenore, I'm so sorry for the scare you had! I would feel the same way. These blasted restrictions drive me insane. My surgeon actually told me that in his opinion the restrictions are very out of date and he said during surgery he twists and turns the patient's leg around to test it for dislocation. It did not pantomime this, but I wish he had!
I am finding that I am bending a little more than I did the first week; then I suddenly get scared. I don't think it's ever completely automatic. I'm glad you're okay now and I appreciate as I'm sure you do everyone's comments and information about this. I hope the rest of your weekend went well.
 
Peaches. The comments and reassurance I've received here have been incredibly helpful. It is so scary to be sent home with a new hip, restrictions and an appointment in five weeks. Very hard. The restrictions are also very frustrating. I am resting lots, but I would also love to have a meal out or go to the local Garden. I have been resting my hip since Feb. 7 th, and it would be so nice to be out for a while but no restrooms are high enough. Well, it could be lots worse, and tomorrow the PT is taking me for a walk. Thanks so much.
 
LeeApril26 I think we have all had those thoughts of did I do something to dislocate my new hip. I know I have.

51desoto In 1968 when I was just about ready to get my drivers licence my step dad had a 1951 Desoto & we had talked about me getting it & chopping the coup & making a hot rod out of it. Unfortunatley disapointment when he sold it & I ended up with a 1963 vw bug.:cry:
 
LeeApril26 it won't be long before you can go out for that meal, I found I could sit on a normal toilet long before my 6 weeks but it helped that I'm only 5' 3''!! Do you think that there will be disabled toilet at the restaurant because that could be taller and also have grab rails to help you? You're only 10 days though and so you still need to relax but a within a few days, a short walk outside with someone else with you could be just what you need. :)
 
LeeApril26 I too have broken the restrictions. Twice Ive crossed by legs without thinking. It scared me witless at the time when I realised what Id done, but nothing untoward happened thankfully. I expect we all have lapses where we forget.
 
tankeryanker Littlejem TeeEm. In my local neighborhood, most of the buildings and restaurants are old. They may have hand rails, but not so many are raised, and I am 5'7. I think I may have to take a scenic tour of the ladies' rooms in my part of Brooklyn. Should be funny. I hope I don't have more lapses, because I thought I was having a heart attack from fright! The best part was that I ran out of the shower to my bed wrapped in a towel, totally forgetting my cane. I did not know I could walk without the can, and still don't.
Thanks for the kind words. Lenora
 
Hi, Lenora. How was your walk outside? I loved it when my PT took me out last Friday. I overdid it when I went on my own Sat. Yesterday I did better, but it was a little tiring. Springtime is definitely a good time for this part of recovery. I can't imagine taking my first steps outside in the ice and snow! I know what you mean about rest rooms. I wonder about what that will be like when I return to work in four weeks. I was told by the hospital to buy a portable toilet riser and carry that to the office and park it in the corner of the handicapped stall when I wasn't using it. I really don't want to do that. What do people do when they visit friends and they are still needing to use the riser?
 
LeeApril26 I successfully went out for lunch yesterday to celebrate 1 week of my new hip. Was maybe a bit risky as i didn't check out the toilet situation but I knew the disabled toilet would have rails and i could ask to sit in a booth which is a higher seat and was a succesful trip in the end. Really enjoyed getting out. We wanted to take my parents out to say thankyou for staying for 10 days and taking care of the kids and house.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom