Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem. Oh, thanks. I am sorry it took seven days but helpful to know that seven days didn't cause you serious complications. I don't discount the discomfort and worry. Between the constipation and my tendency to reach and twist to get things, I am anxious. Otherwise, I feel so much better than before. Sore and swollen but no longer in extreme pain.
 
I take it you never saw this helpful article in the Library Constipation and stool softeners?

I was speaking to lady the other day who insisted that diclofenac had given her an anal fissure which she had to have surgery to resolve. On closer questioning, she also admitted that not only was she also taking Tramadol (for back pain) but had also become very constipated. She was totally resolute however, that the fissure had nothing to do with either the constipation or the Tramadol and that she would never ever take diclofenac again! :snork:
 
Josephine, Yes, I have read it, and other postings on the site. I understand why I am constipated, but don't know how many days makes it more than just uncomfortable. Have been trying some of the remedies but I wonder how you know when you've had constipation for too long, and if MOM, colace, prunes, prune juice and Senna don't work, which remedy is next? I can mix high fiber cereal with prunes, prune juice, and apple juice as in one of the recipes. After five days will any of this work? I'm sorry, I guess my question was unclear. I was reassured when I read seven days in Littlejem's post. Thanks.
 
Lenora,
I hope you are feeling stronger each day. You must be so happy to be on the healing side.
Don't push yourself too much, and try to get the rest you need
 
Mamarey. Thanks yes, I just woke up from a nap. Exhaustion comes over me like a wave and off I go. I haven't napped since I was a toddler so it's weird, but very necessary.
 
Seven days? Eek! I wouldn't think that was good for a person. Five days at most. And the real trick with constipation cures is to stick with one for at least three days. Keep on taking different things and you just confuse your gut!
 
@Jospehine. Haven't so much switched as added on. Guess I'll call the doctor tomorrow. Thank you.
 
zauberflöte. Yep. Feeling miserable and worried. Also having a hard time getting up from chairs without bending forward. Didn't realize I did that but I am now. More worries. Physically okay.
Thanks for the support. If you have time, practice chairs.
Lenora
 
[Bonesmart.org] All Done
Lenora, you need to get a cushion for your chair or those plastic leg extions that will let you sit up higher. That way you don't have to worry about bending over too far. However, a bit past 90 degrees is not likely to cause in harm.


I broke the 90 degree restriction to some extent throughout my 6 weeks restriction period. I had a semi-invalid husband to take care of and I had to put socks and shoes on with an assistive device because it was winter. And it really is not that easy to dislocate a hip---even a new one.

The constipation thing---I had a bad episode with my hip---no one warned me about it with my hip and still had another bad episode with my knees when I knew better. I ended up using a Fleet suppository---that did the trick for me (along with all that other stuff).

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] All Done
 
Lenore, I really feel for you. I've got some of the same worries. My surgeon told me I could contact his nurse/nurse practitioner with post-op questions. This has been a huge help. She actually helped me last week when I was in the same state you are now in. Maybe your surgeon has a nurse for such purposes as well and you could call his office about it tomorrow. Have you passed any gas, not to get nosey, but that's what they were always asking me at the hospital during my days of constipation. They seemed to feel that was a good sign. Try not to worry tonight about it, if you can. Get some rest. Please hang in there.
 
Peaches, bottomshollow zauberflöte
well, something worked, possibly the mush of stewed prunes, apples and high fiber cereal. Very difficult, and may now have hemrroids, but it was a beginning.
I did call the PA at the surgeon's office about the constipation-she suggested last night's milk of magnesia, which may have just taken 24 hours to work.
The PT thinks that the chairs I have that we're raised with cushions or risers are high enough but I just can't seem to do the voperated leg out and arms lift. I have never been very coordinated. bottomshollow, It is tremendously reassuring to know your experience with the precautions. I will review getting out of the chair with the PT tomorrow, and my husband is picking up an old-fashioned higher chair from a friend. Hopefully that will help. Thank you all so much. Lenora
 
well LeeApril26 Lenora, woohoo in the produce department!:snork: I am so releeeeeved for you!! :snork:
I am eating my nightly ritual prunes as I write-- if I take a certain number now, how many does that mean I have to eat THEN??!!??
I don't have any restrictions-- surgeon says! I'm having anterior, and so I guess the only problem I may have getting out of a chair is if it hurts or my leg is too heavy. The couch is the only thing without 2 arms tall enough to help. I bet i can slide around and get off it backwards.....But if I did practise triceps dips, wouldn't I have prettier arms tho!!!
 
Congratulations, Lenore! It's a start. I'm glad you can contact your surgeon's p.a. with questions. I was relying on the ins. co.'s nurse who comes out for 3 visits and he has given contradictory info. I was happy to know i had someone at the surgeon's office to call upon with questions, and am glad you do, too. Have a good night.
 
zauberflöte. If I had realized how bad it was going to be I would have brought cans of prune juice to the hospital. They gave me Senna and Colace so I was relaxed about it, assuming those would prevent the problem. Maybe make up one of the mush recipes in Josephine's library article before your surgery? Made a version of one tonight and it seems to have started the process. If you make it ahead of time you could take it as soon as you can have solids. Glad you won't have to deal with the precautions. My surgeon does computer assisted lateral, and evened out my uneven legs.
 
Peaches. Thank you! I know what you mean. Received different advice from visiting nurse and surgeon's PA. Went with PA. Good night. Thanks again.
 
Hi Lenora, just catching up with your thread. Sounds like you are doing very well. Please don't worry about the restrictions. Just move slowly avoiding the twisting or any leg cross over. You are doing great!
 
LeeApril26, Hi how are you doing today?
I am glad you have "been" we have enough to cope with without that. I have a large glass of prune juice, a bowl of branflakes, in the morning I also try and drink lots of water to keep things comfortable. So far so good.
Happy healing Barbara
 
Jaycey. Thanks. The lack of bone pain is so wonderful. I'm not too worried about the leg cross over, but the reaching to the side and twisting, or leaning forward takes concentrated restraint. I appreciate the support.
Lenora
 
Elosarabrab. Hi,
I am just about to have my morning prune juice and high fiber cereal. Think I'll take Colace for a couple of days, too-just to be sure. How are you doing today?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom