THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab, I think hovering is going to be my method, too. Though I am so klutz-y, I can see me peeing all over myself (LOL). I cannot imagine hauling a toilet riser to the office and letting it sit in the corner after I have used it. Someone should invent an inflatable, DISPOSABLE (flushable) toilet riser to take on the go!
 
Peaches, Elosarabrab jellybean. My walk outside was short. I walked a block, turned and came home. Began to feel quite tired. It is very different from walking around the house where there is always a chair or wall to rest on. In order to do outpatient therapy I need to be able to walk four blocks, exercise and then walk home. This may take a while, but that's okay.
I am impressed by all your excursions. I am not sure which local restaurants have disabled toilets, and living in a congested area of NYC I have to be able to walk to the restaurants, because parking is difficult. The idea of hovering over the toilet is pretty funny-great that you were able to do it and get out. That is my goal for the week -not hovering, getting out to someplace-anyplace. Thanks for your support.
 
Lenora, how are your walks going? It's raining where I am, so I have cut back some. I agree it's totally different walking outside from my apt. bldg.'s hallway walks. I tried to remember what you said about breathing, sucking it in, etc. There's a ton of foot traffic where I am, so I am also overly cautious about being bumped into. I am scared to take public transportation or a cab at almost 3 weeks out. But I will have to do that soon for outpatient PT.
 
Peaches. We've had rain in Brooklyn, too, so I didn't get out yesterday. Went out for a walk on the sidewalk just a bit ago, with a friend. Made it three blocks before I turned around. Had to lean on a fence for a bit before I could walk back. Icing now. Streets here are crowded as well. I thought a jogger was going to get me. Had a mad urge to whack him with my cane. Turning into a crazy woman. But, it is very scary. Can't imagine public transit yet. A cab might not be too bad if you bring a pillow. I haven't been anywhere since the ride home from the hospital 13 days ago.
 
LeeApril26...I finally asked for a suppository today. I have been drinking prune juice, lots of H2O and stool softener, but nothing worked until the suppository. I go home tomorrow, had a choice to go today, but still having a lot of pain in leg, because he had to work so hard on it to lengthen and realign. I had anterior, but still have three to four weeks of restrictions. Very difficult to not bend too far forward or down. Have to really watch staying straight when getting out of a chair
 
Mamarey it was five days for me with softeners, etc. and still not easy, though I am down to three pain pills per day. Guess the lack of moving around doesn't help. It is very difficult not to tilt forward when getting out of a chair, or lean forward when sitting at a table. I was never aware of doing these things pre-surgery. The restrictions are very annoying, especially when you have the dumb compression stocking rolling down your leg and can't bend it over to roll it up. Sorry you are still having pain in the leg. Can you walk on it?
 
Mamarey, I'm glad you have "been" at least that's one thing less to worry about. I'm sorry you are still in pain. I had hoped they would be on top of that by now. The restrictions are not so bad more of an inconvenience really. I didn't have good ROM pre surgery and couldn't bend anyway. Once you get home you should start to feel better, being able to do stuff to your own schedule.
Barbara
 
16 days post-op.:the weather is windy but otherwise gorgeous today. Walked three blocks to go out for a late, post-crowded brunch with my husband and daughter. It was lovely to be out of the house, complete with pillows. My daughter and I had to leave the restaurant before the check arrived because the chair became uncomfortable. Luckily we didn't try for a three course meal! Walked the three blocks home slowly, then went to bed with my lovely ice pack. Can't imagine walking normally again, but hope it will come.
 
Peaches. Wow! I'm not so sure I could do that. We picked the restaurant cause we knew it had a raised handicapped toilet. Food is good, too. It may be my only restaurant destination for w few more weeks, though I wouldn't do it often. Glad you made it to your sister's.
 
LeeApril26...I finally asked for a suppository today. I have been drinking prune juice, lots of H2O and stool softener, but nothing worked until the suppository. I go home tomorrow, had a choice to go today, but still having a lot of pain in leg, because he had to work so hard on it to lengthen and realign. I had anterior, but still have three to four weeks of restrictions. Very difficult to not bend too far forward or down. Have to really watch staying straight when getting out of a chair​
Mamarey It will become second nature sitting and standing just remember to kick out the operated leg to do both functions it truely helps in not breaking the restrictions. I hope that you start feeling relief in your leg soon but as you said the OS did a lot of work on you undoing years of damage. You are a strong lady and you will get through this. Take care
 
Mamarey Liveringer. I don't know how tall you are, Mamarey,. I'm 5'7, and I have to use several pillows to be able to rise without going forward. I have a hard time keeping my operated leg extended when rising, but the extra pillows plus a chair with firm arms really helps. And, I jeep a big pillow on my lap when I'm at the table to keep me from leaning forward. Awkward, but it helps.
 
Maeve, I am going to "love" hovering ... better than dragging in a toilet riser to the office!:)

Lenora, not sure what you meant when you said you couldn't do that; maybe you mixed we up with someone else?
Today I'm starting my fourth week of recovery (i.e., I have 3 weeks plus change under my belt) and my employers thought I could start back to work. I am shaking my head at the concept, as I am still very much feeling on the mend and very preoccupied with energy levels, pain levels, trying to be vigilent about the PT exercises and practice walking indoors and (scarier) outsides. I cannot imagine for the life of me getting on mass transit and traipsing crowded city streets, trudging through the office all day long with the cane. I really can't. My hat is off to anyone who can do this, but it ain't me, babe, it ain't me.

I'm glad your mother's day outing was good. I too went 3 blocks to and fro; total of 6. Because I was carrying a doggy bag and somewhat heavy-ish purse, my lower back started to ache after two blocks. That really depressed me. But later I went out for another short walk, only 1 block, unencumbered, and that was better.

The funny thing about leaning over is that I never remember that restriction and I lean over all the time, though not to the 90 degrees.

As for handicapped restrooms, I don't seem to see any anywhere that have toilet seats that are high. I only see the ones with handles to grip onto, and a wider stall.

Is anyone else finding it hard to get comfortable in any chair? I surely am. I sit on pillows or that weird square-shaped "easy up" thing that came in the "hip kit" I bought at the hospital (that thing is as hard as a rock and very uncomfortable) and can't seem to settle back far enough to have my back supported. I'm never comfortable at all for long. I'm trying to find a work setup at home so I can be prepared to work from home if my employer thinks I should. Also just to do other stuff like writing or paying bills, etc. Maybe part of the problem is that I just don't have comfy chairs in my apt. right now.
 
I sit on pillows or that weird square-shaped "easy up" thing that came in the "hip kit" I bought at the hospital (that thing is as hard as a rock and very uncomfortable) and can't seem to settle back far enough to have my back supported​
Peaches That is interesting I too bought a hip kit when in the hospital and this is what mine consisted of: sock aid, long shoe horn, elastic shoe laces, grabber, dressing stick and long handled sponge. I am wondering if what you are describing is actually your sock aid as it is an oblong shape & it either has two ropes w/handle or one long rope attached from one side to the other. You put your sock on the end, insert foot and slide the contraption so that it goes up the back of your leg.
 
Hi, Karen:
I've been wondering how you are doing. You'd gone to a meeting and that had gone well? I hope every day is better for you.

My hospital had more than one hip kit. The one I bought had a toilet seat riser with handles (I have written elsewhere about the funky smell it gives off and how hard it is to keep clean); that big, hard square pillow with handles (to take with you when you go out) to sit on; the long shoe horn; the sock thing; the long-handled sponge; the elastic shoe laces; the grabber that is actually a nice complement to the other grabber I'd bought already in that THIS grabber picks up small things like a dime on the floor and the other one has bigger tongs that picks up bigger, heavier things. The hard, square pillow thing seemed essential since it's light enough to stick in a shopping bag and take outside so you can sit on a park bench when you get tired. The problem is that it is really really uncomfortable. Oh, well. The rest of the stuff has been pretty indispensable. However, I would have in hindsight bought a different toilet thing had I known how funky this one gets. I can't wait to get rid of it.
 
Peaches I am doing pretty well. I had one little set back last week that lasted a day, pretty much over did it the day before so I rested with ice & heat up and down my leg which Friday morning I woke as I would any other morning back to normal.
I find most things in my hip kit essential except for the sponge and I haven't used the laces. I just have my shoes tied a little loose and slip them on with the aid of the shoe horn. The sock aid I had one given to me (by a man) and I used it almost 2 months before my surgery however the one I got in my kit is smaller more so for a women's sock. I bought my toilet seat separate on amazon and I clean mine everyday with lysol wipes.
 
Peaches. I thought I read that you were able to hover over the toilet. I don't think I can do that. Also can't imagine going back to work in a week and a half or two weeks-I am about a week behind you. Between the exercises, the ice and the inability to get comfortable at night on my back the thought of dealing with mass transit and trying to sit behind a desk would make me weep. I am lucky to be self-employed and a taking a break right now. No boss breathing down my neck but also no paycheck -:)

I know which cushion you mean. They were selling it at the hospital for $65 and I balked. Bought the rest of the stuff on Amazon.

The restaurant I went to yesterday is the only one I know of with a raised seat. Barnes and Noble may also have one but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, I can't send my husband on a tour of restrooms.
 
Liveringer Sorry to hear about your setback, and glad it was a short one. It is so hard to know just how much to do. I have tried to scrub my legs with the long-handled sponge but don't think I'm getting good results. between that an my ever-lengthening toenails I am feeling rather strange. Howard Hughes-ish!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom