Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26... Ice, ice, ice.. Glad you enjoyed the show.

I have a fab movie theatre, wide screen, centrally heated room, food of choice, slave... Oh sorry!!, dear hubby who gets platters of goodies, leather recliner, ice packs or heat packs, and this magical new toy of ours called T-Box... which downloads all the latest release movies.. No wonder I don't do PT... and I didn't have to clamber over people :)


[Bonesmart.org] All Done
 
LeeApril, I had an experience like that, shortly after coming back to the UK, after my first operation, in Peru.

A great friend of ours has been living in Taiwan for many years, with his Chinese wife, and was coming over for a visit. A mutual friend arranged for a group of us to go out for a reunion dinner. The initial plan was to go somewhere local, which would have been fine for me.

But no, at the last moment our GruppenFuhrer insisted that we all traipse into Chinatown in Manchester, where it is always busy at night. He knew the best Chinese restaurant, the one where all the Chinese waiters go after work... all that sort of thing.

Despite knowing full well that Glynis had "hurt her foot" - a belief he persists in to this day - he did not happen to drop into the conversation the fact that it was up 5 flights of stairs, in a building used as a factory during the day. There was no banister, so I balanced myself as best I could by touching the filthy walls. Once in the restaurant I was desperate to wash my hands.

Next fun surprise... The Ladies was up another flight of stairs. And when I got there...

I opened the door to be confronted by some kind of oil drum, filled with cold water, with a saucepan hanging over the side. A scruffy bit of paper gave the helpful advice that diners might wish to use this facility to wash their hands, as there was no water in the taps that night.

I shuffled back down the stairs, wondering "If they haven't got running water in the Ladies, do they have any in the kitchen?" Oh well, no use making a fuss, we're here now, let's have a look at the menu. Opened it up. Now, this last bit is not just for the sake of the story. It is quite true. The first item I saw on the menu was...

Male and Female Pigs' Brains.

We stayed in London recently and from our hotel window could see another restaurant with the same name. When we walked past it we found they had a notice: Why not visit our other branch in Manchester?

I could give them a couple of reasons.
 
glynis In real life you're a restaurant or hotel reviewer, right?? What a story.....

and this magical new toy of ours called T-Box...
Poppet had to look that one up... sounds like a combination cable tv box and XBox-- you have a wonderful home theater going there :)

LeeApril26 oh my, NYC! I'm glad you loved the play, it took enough out of you! Let me apologize now for any Virginians who trampled you... So did you just use the men's room? I would!!:skep:
In theory the movie theater will be comparatively deserted-- it's a 16-plex, so people are more often in a movie already than not. We've got Fandango tickets, so can skip the line, too! I think I remember a family restroom at this place, so I can even bring my hubby in if I need!:heehee:
 
glynis. From this distance, that's a hilarious night out, but at the time you must have been exhausted. Your fried sounds like a descendant of the Marquis de Sade. Could he have selected a more difficult or more nauseating experience? But, you didn't tell us what you ate? And, is there a difference between the taste of male and female pig brains? Hope they don't expand to NY.
Poppet. Some people get Canadians, some have slaves, treats and T- Box. Glynis and I protest!
zauberflöte. I am too chicken to lead a charge on the men's room, and no one else did either. We all stood in the snaking line like good ladies.
 
LeeApril26 -- great report! You should celebrate The Shorning of the Toenails by watching "Aviator" or whatever movie that was, where Leonardo diCaprio portrayed your pal Howard Hughes. Just in case their is a close-up of HH's toenails.....

(Until my surgeon's Last Restriction has been lifted, I will be cutting toenails smugly on my non-op side, and "sawing madly" as you famously said on the op side. In fact, I need to buy a long, fat, sturdy emery board, as today is Sawing Day.

Am so glad you enjoyed the play; figured you would. It sounds terrific. Oh, but the horrible ladies' room line! And no other option. In my pre-bad-hip days, when I was a scurry-er and scamper-er I would high-tail it at intermission to whatever hotel lobby might have public rest rooms that didn't require a key card from a guest. Not sure if those exist too frequently in this post-9/11 world. I keep looking at TDF ticket offerings with longing, but don't feel I can handle theater steep stairs to the nose-bleed section and ladies' room.

Oh, and those "lines" that are not necessary to get inside the theater! These HUGE groups of tourists have taken over NYC and redefined behavior as if they were at a theme park. Do you remember there was an actual newspaper article about this strange habit of suddenly standing in line just to get inside the theater? I think it was by a theater critic.

Also glad you can rejoin your book group! Isn't it grand to rejoin your pre-op world again, even if little by little. It has done wonders for me, too.

Keep up the good work.
 
Peaches. The hotels still seem to have lobby restrooms. The Marriott Marquis is always good if you don't mind taking the elevator/escalator upstairs. I am just renewing my TDF subscription, and know what you means by nosebleed seats. I do remember the Times article. The lines are so long, and families stand in a row obstructing the entire sidewalk, and if they would just wait ten minutes they could get inside with no line. I don't get it. Did I tell you about my friend who was crossing Park in the 50s and tripped over someone who stopped dead to take a photo in the middle of the street? Broke a bone. Worries me. Every since the city and Disney cleaned up Times Square it is a theme park, and I miss Gene Krupa playing drums in the window of the Metropole and lots of other stuff that got urbanely renewed. I am becoming an old grouch.

Today I took a long car ride and combined with last evenings adventures I ache all over. But it is worth it to reclaim bits of my old life.

I saw the movie you referred to with L diCaprio. Funny. Good old HH. I wonder what he had against cutting his nails?
 
zauberflöte, I am an a IT specialist, but this T-box is what we call in my profession a 'black box'...

Movies magically appear over the Internet and we rent them for a small amount.. We decided to move our entertainment up a notch with a new ISP bundle, phones etc... It is magic, I love it.. We had such poor performance with our previous ISP provider that our broadband would never have supported this functionally.. So I am delighted.. Mind you, bit of a shock with the first months bill, we had gone crazy downloading all the new releases.. But hey, we don't go out much, don't, drink (much), don't smoke... So figured this is our entertainment....
 
The lines are so long, and families stand in a row obstructing the entire sidewalk, and if they would just wait ten minutes they could get inside with no line. I don't get it.
Us American tourists don't read our guide books when in the US, I guess:whistle: Here in suburbia, we line up for everything, even if we already have our tickets-- with tickets we can bypass the box office ( movie theater, or symphony, or PHC, or rock concert, or plane flight, or state fair.....) and then wait anyway in the line for our tix to be taken! There's always a line, restroom included LOL. So we suburbians are poor enough tourists that we think everywhere is like home. We are used to lines-- if we get there early we get a halfway decent parking place, and waiting in the line is a cultural given. If we got there 10 minutes later we'd have to park in the next county (literally, sometimes LOL) and walk, eating up another 10 minutes. If I were a suburban tourist in the city with 4 kids and a frazzled spouse, I've never think that getting there 10 minutes later would guarantee me no wait.
I do strongly agree that as tourists we have a responsibility to find out how to behave wherever we go, but I'll bet our iPhone doesn't tell us everything when we (speaking for the iGeneration) ask it what time's show time!
[/infodump]:rotfl:
Lenore, I didn't mean this to be a bit offensive to you-- :) ? I myself would look for a line to wait in, (panic if I can't find the end of the line!) rather than know that I should just breeze on in front of people. I would be afraid of violating some NYC thing that "all yall" know but i don't, so I'd err on what I sincerely thought was the side of politeness. So you have taught me to check before attending!! :)

I am an a IT specialist, but this T-box is what we call in my profession a 'black box'...
Aha! The Black Box. Do you have the Roku? Which is actually a Very Small Black Box hooked up to your tv. it's just a connection between your wireless and your tv, on which you can view scores if not hundreds of "channels", including everything from movies to (probably) pet soothers and fake fireplaces. I love ours!! It is our entertainment also-- we don't have cable or even digital tv, so Netflix is it!
 
zauberflöte. I don't mean to be offensive either. not at all. I see your point. I am puzzled because these lines just started a couple of years ago, apparently out of now where. And, people spend a fortune for full price RESERVED seats and then wait on a line. If arrive at the theater at 7:35 the line is gone, but people show up at 6:45 and form a line. I never pay full price for theater tickets, but if I'd paid $160 for a seat I'd be damned if I'd willingly wait on a line. And, it is not only tourists. People see the line and don't think it through. I don't cut the line. The doors open at 7:30 and everyone goes in. I just wait five minutes til they get in, then walk in to my seat.

Poppet. I am also curious about the black box! I did not order your magic potion from Amazon as it is $23 for 50ml and $22 to deliver it. Will try to mix the oils with vanilla and shake vigorously. I have everything except eucalyptus.
 
LeeApril26 well that is weird, the lines starting suddenly a couple of years ago. There is an urban doctorate in behavioral sciences hidden in this, wanna bet? See, if I paid $160 I would only assume that I had the seat I wanted. Hey! What if you could reserve a front-of-line place in the restroom line? Oh, right, we got rid of pay toilets when I was in my 20's, right. Yup. Ok. I take that back...
 
LeeApril26 - wow, I just caught up with you. A play?! Great!! Times Square - oy!!!! I cannot imagine! Glad you made it through without a mishap.
glynis - WHAT a story about the restaurant! It sounds as if the whole experience was a total nightmare in about 6 different ways, but you wrote it up as a very funny story! I, and I am sure many others, empathized very much!
zauberflöte and LeeApril26 - yes, lines. And for the ladies' room. I have jumped line and gone to the men's room upon occasion when I have known that the restroom is a one-person-use room.
Goodness, I especially remember the pay toilets at Grad Central Station.......
 
Songlady It was great but I am still icing. I should never have scheduled PT for the same day. From the sound of your posts, you have had a pretty busy time as well.
Unfortunately, the men's room at the theater was not a single room, but I was really tempted. And, I remember the pay stalls at GCS, too.
 
Songlady LeeApril26 Think back to 1950's and 60's Virginia, and you will know why I don't want to pay to jump a restroom line.... In the South, segregation (well, actually, keeping 'colored" out altogether) was the real reason for pay toilets. As I recall it, after it became illegal to have actual segregated facilities, the nickle or dime fee would keep out the folks who didn't have a nickel or dime to spend on something as frivolous as a public toilet...I was just a kid, perhaps I remember this all wrong. I was in my 40's before I learned that my parents had sent us to private school to ensure we got an education, as it certainly appeared that public education in Virginia at that time was going to grind to a massive halt.
PS to take over the men's room, all you need is two women with a will!:rotfl: I did read somewhere that some women got court summonses b/c they had hijacked the men's room at a conference in, maybe, Texas? And then there was the time when I nearly waltzed into the men's room in a department store in Tokyo....OOPS!:blush:
 
Ah, zauberflöte, I learn something every day! (and with a husband from the South - !)
Ho well.
LeeApril26, I walked around the block with my husband this evening and we wondered whether "walking" - as in, around the block, or 1/2 mile, or whatever, is likely more useful than "busy and bending." Maybe a combination is realistically the best?
In any case, I re read my post from earlier and I mistyped - "Grad Central Station" - that's what it felt like here this weekend with the niece and nephew, and Songboy having just packed and left - :rotfl:
 
LeeApril26 - I had meant to ask - have you used the collapsible cane yet, and if so, how do you like it? With some traveling coming up in the next weeks, I am trying to figure out my options.....
 
Oh, zauberflöte I had no idea. I'm horrified. Is that why Grand Central and Penn Stations required payment? I remember matrons inside and always thought that paid the salaries. Very disturbing to realize how naive I am.
Songlady Please don't worry about typos. When I type on my iPad, the results look like I'm taking too many pain pills, even though I've mostly stopped. After reading zauberflöte 's movie advice I did take a percoset last night, as I am still sore.
I think you're on the right track that once precautions are lifted, a combo of walking, twisting, bending (in reasonable amounts) is a good way to regain function. I've carried it to extremes in the last few days, and with the house guests and helping your son prepare it sounds like you may have done a lot, too. Icing as I type. I learned something from Peaches post about lifting. Made me realize that taking a load of wet laundry out of the washing machine and lifting up into my stacked dryer was causing stiffness and pain. Don't know why I didn't figure it out before then. I find reading posts really helpful.
 
Songlady No, I haven't used it yet, as I am still nervous about walking in the city without the cane, so have had no reason to bring the folding one. I guess I should try it in the house to make sure it doesn't collapse on me. I did try walking across a large parking lot without the cane and found myself limping about half-way across. My NYC apt. is not big enough to induce the limp.:)
 
LeeApril26 well, I don't think New York State was segregated, was it? So I really don't know about that. It's just personal to me... And hey-- who remembers elevator attendants??? There's a blast from the past :)

Percocet is always good for recovery-- I just wanted to be comfortable in that awful movie seat, and it worked beautifully-- I feel way too clever-boots today LOL. Oh my I'd never thought of stacked laundry appliances! It's not much better going from a top-load washer to a front-load floor mounted dryer, I can tell you, I make sure to go very very slowly, one item at a time especially if towels, and lift the op foot as much as I can. Of course that's going to injure my "good" knee from twisting, sigh. We are just a collection of wrecks! You're right about reading posts-- you never know when you're going to come across exactly what applies to you at that moment. Love it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom