THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Ladies So much nice chatter going on over here. I leave for a while and miss all this interesting conversation!
Shoes ... I still haven't gotten a new pair of anything, and my previous sneakers/trainers are worn down terribly. My PT told me I had "two flats and needed them fixed!" But I really can't quite make it on a shopping trip, yet. I'm definately going to look at those web sites you posted, Lenora, because I can't keep wearing shoes that are for my old hips. I'm going to the foot doctor tomorrow to be cast for new orthotics. She's the one who said to get new orthotics after 3 months, because everything was remodeling or remolding after the new hips. They have some clunky shoes for sale there, but they seem too sturdy and heavy for me. I just need some good sneakers. Websites, it is - Zappos, too.

Lenora, Peaches Songlady You've all seen this talk. It's very interesting zauberflöte. It's on TedTalks, and her name is Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, or is it Taylor Bolte? She's a brain scientist, and gave a brief 18 min talk on TedTalks, ZB, about a stroke she had. Fascinating, I think you'd find it interesting, too. I was able to have my local library get me a copy of her book about the stroke, titled A Stroke of Insight. I'm very excited to read it. Thanks for the idea, Lenora.
I also was able to get my computer set up for ebooks from the library, with my son's help today. Another Lenora idea. :) It'll make reading a lot easier, I don't like going to the library, especially now. And oddly enough, last winter a book was returned with bed bugs in it and they had to close for 3 days to exterminate. They brought in dogs and eveything. Ugh. So I'm very leary of library books now. I make everyone shake them out, put them in a plastic bag in the sun on the patio for the day (heat kills) before they can bring them into the house! But I figure that the librarians must be more vigilant now that they know they've had them, and they at least know what to look for!
 
ByGosh. Yuck! My library had bedbugs, too. I was putting books in the freezer but found out that's not cold enough. Can't imagine carrying books home six blocks, so ebooks it is. If you can find A place that carries Lynco orthotics they've worked out well for me. They have a machine that analyzes your foot, then suggest a style. $45. My insurance was difficult with orthotics. Just became eligible for Medicare so may try again. Last time a doctor measured me it cost $450!
A Stroke of Insight was wonderful. Very inspirational. Her mom is phenomenal.
 
LeeApril26 My insurance will pay most of the cost of orthotics once a year, so it is sometimes just a co-pay, or sometimes a little more. I guess it depends on how much other 'durable medical equipment' we've gotten for the year. I've never heard of Lynco orthotics. That would be a good way to get a second pair for another pair of shoes. I usually have to keep switching them back and forth if I have a couple of pairs of shoes I wear.
 
ByGosh. I think I still have a box from my last new set. Will look for the specifics.
 
she's a brain scientist, and gave a brief 18 min talk on TedTalks, ZB, about a stroke she had.
ByGosh I saw that talk, a year or so ago-- it was phenomenal! Unfortunately that's all I remember about it. I am finding my brain very hard to access these days, and can only lay it to the anasethesia.:sigh:
Bedbugs:yikes: in the library:yikes: My sister works in a library, I'll have to ask her. Of course it's just a village library, and the demographic is not particularly pest-prone. My library, otoh.... oh what a tough question to have to ask-- "got bedbugs?" Ick.
 
So sorry, ladies, to get you concerned about bedbugs in libraries! But yes, they are there, especially in the big cities, I hear. zauberflöte Songlady LeeApril26 - I was yucked out by them being in MY library, but it was big news here. Google bedbugs in libraries, and see what comes up.
When my kids go away, as GoshBoy to Mexico recently and GoshGirl to Disney - I make them keep their suitcases and carry-ons in the garage until I can shake everything out on the patio and look for anything that might fall out. (yuck) If it's sunny and hot, I'll let the suitcase sit in the sun for the day first. Then they go straight into a hot wash and hotish/warm dryer, just in case. The suitcases are all wiped out with Lysol wipes before being put away. Nuts?? Yeah, maybe, but that is one infestation I can do without. There's something about being in the health care profession that makes me more cautious (crazy?) about things like that, plus it doesn't help that I get informational emails about it from nursing organizations every month or so! You know, they like to keep us up on the Public Health Issues that are around.
Geez, whatever got me started on that topic?? And I can't even blame it on pain meds! :doh:Sorry, guys.....
 
ByGosh. Diatomaceous Earth kills bedbugs-the kind used with animals, not the swimming pool filtering type. You can put a very thin coating and bugs will dry out and die, including bedbugs. Here's how paranoid I am: if we travel anywhere I take off the sheets to be sure there are no stains on the mattress, and I keep the suitcases in the bathroom. If I feel worried, I wash everything inside and dry it, and put the suitcases in black plastic bags with diatomaceous earth. Not too thick, or the bugs avoid it. I know I sound certifiable but for a while NYC was in the midst of a huge bedbug infestation. It is supposed to be much better now, but I am still nuts on the subject.
 
zauberflöte I never had tape, but today is my 6 weeks, and my incision is still healing and shows some scabbing deep in along with the adhesions on the end. The adhesions reduce a little bit each week, and I rub vitamin E cream on 3x per day, really massaging it in...it really is a long healing process
 
Thank goodness I'm not alone, LeeApril26 ! The things you do while traveling are what is recommended by the experts. I don't blame you one bit. I have the kids trained to check mattresses when away. And it's written everywhere to keep the luggage in the bathroom in a plastic bag. I've never heard of Diatomaceous Earth. What is it and where do you get it?

I was trained as a nursing student years ago to look for things like bedbugs and roaches, etc. when visiting patients in their homes. That kind of training dies hard! It's something that you remember always, I think.
 
ByGosh I was a caseworker in NYC areas in the 70s. I learned to stamp my feet in the hallways so the roaches and rats would hide before I went into apartments. Sounds like we have the same training. I ordered the diatomaceous earth on Amazon. It comes in a VERY large plastic container. I've had it for years, and have shared it with friends, and still have more than half a container. I only use a small amount. I have been told that if you put a thick layer the bedbugs, or any bugs, walk around it. Just be sure not to order the stuff for pool filters. If you live near an agricultural area, you can probably get it in an agricultural supply store. It is fed to cows if they get some sort of bug, and also used on dogs for ticks. It is non-toxic, but makes your skin dry, and can cause a cough, so I apply it carefully and spread it thinly with a brush. I doesn't hurt pets or children.
 
LeeApril26 ByGosh I did google bedbugs/libraries/my location and AAAUUUGGGHHH They are in the schools and a nearby hospital!:shocked: I never think to keep luggage in the bathroom in a hotel-- when you have three people in a room and one of them brought his entire possessions, it's not feasible....I think I need a bath in clorox LOL. Diatomaceous earth, I remember using that for something bug-related a long time ago. Wonder what it was....

The adhesions reduce a little bit each week, and
Mamarey The only area I dare massage yet, is responding well, I'm thinking. It's a little softer and flatter than it was last week. The top of the incision must be irritated by my clothing, as it's right in the fold of the hip (anterior). I don't want to irritate it more by messing with the tape just yet... when I'm ready, I think I'll try olive oil, as ByGosh or was it LeeApril26 recommended a day or two ago, to see if I can loosen this dang tape!
 
LeeApril26 zauberflöte I didn't want to mention hospitals, but yes, they're also there. But WE didn't get any, because if we did, we'd have bites and we'd sure know it by now! So don't worry, no hitchikers came home with our new hips. :)
zauberflöte You have yet another new and interesting avatar, missy. It looks like a 3-D collage of your hip-related life. You're too funny. I see those shower shoes, I think that's what they are, some nice shiney top-siders, bananas, beans, a cantalope and a PINE CONE? My gosh, woman, what all is it? You should post it in the Art Gallery. Very creative, you are. You must be a hoot to hang around with.

So about the incision - as soon as mine was completely healed (exactly 4 weeks) I got Vit E gel pills, 400IU each, from Rite Aid, and I poke a hole in the top, or snip a little off, squeeze it on my finger, and massage it into the incision. I put a little pressure on it with my thumb, for about a minute or two, twice a day. A plastic surgeon's nurse told me to do that when my GoshGirl had a scar on her chin as a tot. This helps disperse the scar tissue, she said. It seems to work well. Doesn't smell badly or anything. But I would bet that any lotion is fine, and olive oil is also good.
LeeApril26 Did you post a link for the Timberland shoes? Thanks to the prednisone I'm on, I was able to venture out today, and I got a pair of sneakers - will need to try them at home, to be sure they're ok, and they also need to accommodate my orthotics. I also bought a pair of Merrel slip-ons for the house - they're open in the toe, which I didn't really want, but they have support and are better than my flip flops. They were $80 though! That's pricey for house shoes. I may get buyer's remorse over those, and have them taken back. But they seem comfy and my bunions have a place to stick out, so we'll see.
My lovely foot doctor yesterday warned me about protecting my feet and not getting cuts in them because of the risk of infection with the hips. She also said that shoes with support are better than flip flops.
 
ByGosh Thanks for the Vitamin E idea. I have a bunch of those around.
I did post a link to the Timberland shoes a couple of weeks ago when I bought them. I will try to find them online. They are "professional" slip on black shoes, sort of clogs with a back, or like Dansko's, but lower heels. I think they were about the same price as the Merrell's. I'm sorry to hear that your foot doctor shares my surgeon's opinion of open shoes. I don't think I have ever gotten a cut on my foot, though there have been plenty of Birkenstock blisters. I so want to ignore this . . .

It sounds like the prednisone is working, which is great! What kind of sneakers did you get?
 
ByGosh LeeApril26 and all[]=pooooooooooo0 a hungry cat passes by... very good ByGosh , except they're tinned plums (visit clifford149 's recovery thread for the long backstory) Not creative at all, just picked up sne stuff to stump him with.:scratch: I'e been meaning to ask you about that Vit E-- last week I was in Rite Aid, which has just gone through a massive , um, what shall we call it, hiding of items in new places. There was no Vit E cream anywhere, and no Vit E caps anywhere wither. Grrr! So far I'm just using my thumb and things are getting softer for sure. Except under that tape....
I don't have a foot doctor, does that mean I can wear these Keen slides:heehee: ?? The PA saw them 2 weeks ago, and didn't say a word. I will be wearing them when I go back in July unless I get dressed up....hmmmmm.
It sounds like the prednisone is working! I so hope this will be IT for you, and you progress nicely from here on out! And of course no weird side effects. You must be nearly done with it by now?
 
LeeApril26 I got some wide width New Balance running sneakers, that I tried on for a second and decided to wear at home to really see how they feel. It's very difficult to buy shoes - my bunions get in the way, and can really hurt. I used to wear some really cute flats, and little, little heels - but not any more. Maybe I'll be able to find some that are comfy some day. I'll just be happy to get a new pair of sneakers at this point.
 
LeeApril26 I just found your links to the Timberlands and the Keens. I tried to purchase a pr. of those Keens today, but they didn't have my size. I'm glad that I found your links, now maybe I can find them. Thanks!
 
ByGosh I always had New Balance, but now my toes hurt when I wear my old ones, and when I tried on new ones my toes still felt cramped and sore on the bottoms. So, it seems my toes are getting wider and less padded, and I have to wear a new brand.

I guess with bunions you need a wider toe box, too. I pronate like crazy, but no bunions yet. My mom had them so I've been expecting them to show up. Are you liking the new sneakers?
 
LeeApril26 I haven't tried the new sneakers out yet. I'm still working on the Merrill's I got for around the house. I'm not sure, but they may make my toes feel cramped, too. I'll have to see how they are with the orthotics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom