THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 wow your home PT must have been a gung-ho one! How much were you walking in your second week? I'm afraid I'm too lazy over here,,, not sure I walk 5-10 min every 1-2 hrs. Still very tired...(in fact I keep falling asleep over the computer! LOL)
 
LeeApril26 It is rough sleeping on your back, isn't it? You're almost 6 weeks post-op, aren't you? Another week maybe? Then your restrictions will be lifted and you can sleep on your side? That will be a blessing for you, I think. Then your back should feel much better at night. It's difficult getting woken up with pain, or your leg fireworks going off! Things are bad enough being flat on our backs, never mind more discomfort. I do hope that helps you get some more restful sleep.
My husband talked about 6,000 bicycles being provided by the City of NY for people to ride. Did I get that # right? He saw them near the hotel where he was staying, around 44th st. I can imagine how nerve-wracking it is to try and walk with all of the commotion on the sidewalk. Especially when you don't feel entirely stable and use a cane. I'd be fearful of anything on wheels, too, like Peaches said. People can be so rushed and distracted, they can mow into someone. Best be careful, don't want any falls when we're just healing. (or ever, really.)
 
zauberflöte. In my second week I wasn't walking much at all, but was doing many exercises daily at the direction of my tiny home PT, who was about 24 and about one-third my size. I felt like a circus elephant as she build obstacle courses in my living room for me to step over. Walked outside in week three for barely a block the first time. Now walking about seven blocks. Outside PT is less driven, says I shouldn't add much more to the walks until my back and knee issues are clarified. I see OS on Monday. I think getting up for a short walk around the house is exactly what you should be doing. I did exercises in bed at that point, twice a day, and then the obstacle courses. But, I left the hospital on a cane and in pretty good shape.

ByGosh. I will be five weeks on Friday, and I see my OS on Monday. I am hoping he will lift restrictions and clear me for the pool. I was glad to read on another thread that your visit with your OS went on as scheduled and seemed to go okay, though it seems no specific plan for the pain, which stinks.

The addition of 6000 new bikes that will most likely be ridden by inexperienced riders and/or those who have never ridden in traffic like that in NYC fills me with dread. Walking in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn is already like participating in a demolition derby-very hard if you are feeling vulnerable. So glad your husband is home and hopefully recuperating from his exhausting trip.
 
I felt like a circus elephant as she build obstacle courses in my living room for me to step over.
LeeApril26 I love the humorous, sweetly sardonic way that you describe your life! It really makes me chuckle. It certainly is colorful and brings to mind vivid images of what you're telling us. You should write an article on Having a Hip Replaced While Surviving in the City for the New Yorker!
. Walking in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn is already like participating in a demolition derby-
:)
I can well imagine what you're saying!

Thanks for the well-wishes for my husband! He's back to work, tired, dragging, bad back and all. He sees a PA/naturopathic type therapist for his back today. She was highly recommended a few years ago by someone he works with and she's fixed him up before. We know what's wrong (3 herniated discs). He's been to orthos, and neuros, PTs and had xrays and MRIs, and about once every year, year in a half, it acts up. He has to medicate, go easy on it, get this ultrasound, electric stim, pressure massage and acu-something she does a few times, and it gets better. Our insurance covers it, she's very nice and excellent with back problems. Hopefully this time will be no different and he'll recover soon.
Yes, the OS was very upbeat about my pain. (Easy for him to be) "It'll get better" I'm still processing the information, so will post more when I've given it more consideration.
I do hope your OS lifts your restrictions on Monday, or at least some of them. You'll be happy once you're a bit freed. Hopefully you'll get some better quality sleep then. TTFN (ta ta for now) Keep posting, I love it. :)
 
ByGosh. Thank you! I try to be amused by stressful situations as I can easily revert to the fetal position. It helps me to look at it that way. Your husband's PA sounds terrific. I hope his recovery is quick. The trip sounded incredibly difficult.
I always mentally lift my eyebrow when docs say things like "routine procedure," " should resolve easily," or my favorite' "minor." Yep, but not if it was happening to doc, I'll bet.

My book group is coming tonight. I'm excited. It feels so normal.
 
LeeApril26 thanks for advice-- I don't feel so lazy now LOL. Obstacle courses?? (Circus elephant, had to laugh :) ) That's novel and I'd thinkg kinda dangerous with a walker? maybe worse with a cane? What if you fell? She'd never catch you! But she's the one wth the training. I got taken outside on the second PT visit, 4 days post-op. it's very smooth out there, and a quiet street that you can safely walk down the middle of to avoid the berm effect which leads to odd-leg-itis. But I don't like to go out unless somebody is watching, so I stay in the driveway.
Book group IS normal-- yipeeee! What are youall working on right now?
 
Lenora, you posted this on ByGosh's thread:

I believe I have nerve pain in my thigh, and I describe it as fireworks going off on my thigh. I don't know what would happen if it kept up, as I get up to walk around and it stops.

Does it feel like electrical sparks going off? Rather excruciating? Is there some numbness on the surface of your skin as well, but pain when you massage more deeply? I've had this for many years.....I noticed the numbness first, but then the electrical jolts would come out of the blue in the middle of the night. Fortunately, it wouldn't last long....as soon as I got up it would pretty much stop. But in recent years I haven't had the jolts very often.....except after both my THRs. They reappeared about a month or so after surgery....right around the time that I cut way back on the vicodin. With both surgeries, it lasted about a month and then subsided. I still have the numbness, but I'm so used to that I don't really notice it.

I have mentioned it to many doctors, and they all seem totally uninterested in pursuing it, so either it's not serious, or they don't have a clue. I have only recently discovered what I think it might be.....meralgia parasthetica. If it is, I think I have a very mild version of it. But in the giant scheme of things, it's not a problem.

After 20 years of book clubs, I am currently clubless. What are you reading?

Sharon
 
LeeApril26:
I have seen a hole in the end of my grabber that I think means you are supposed to put a string through so you can ... what? Wear the darn thing around your neck like a lavalier for giants? I used to think the hole was for putting the grabber onto a nail on the wall. But I read where it's supposed to be for putting a string through it.

Your new PT sounds a lot more rigorous than mine. I hope it works out for you. I would love the stationary biking. I have a small one--you sit in a chair and pedal it. It's a pedaler, I guess. But my PT can't find a decent chair for me to use during the restrictions stage, so it is sitting there taunting me. I would think that cycling would feel great. Do you know how long you will be going to the outpatient PT or are you playing it by ear? It's strange how serendipitous it is. We have no control over the PT we are assigned to, I gather.

I'm very sorry about the tingling. I hope you can hold out till your appointment with your OS so he can help.
So you think it's related to sleeping on your back? Strangely, my OS's nurse practitioner told me a long time ago I could sleep on the nonoperated or operated side as long as I have a pillow in between my legs. I have not dared sleep on my operated side, but have frequently tried it on the non-op side, to get some relief from the back. Then I get nervous and go back to my back. I still do not understand or cannot visualize the operated leg crossing over the center of the body without visualizing something that looks hard to do unless you are trying to do it. Still, I am nervous about doing anything to mess up the healing of my new hip.

I have not yet bought the health food store lavender oil or whatever it is, but did sprinkle lavender sachet in a dish at my bedside. I continue to sleep in fits and starts, but am strangely not waking up as frequently needing to go to the bathroom.

Earlier you said I overestimated you, but i have not. You mentioned all the activities you have done, the weight loss, which is so impressive, and diligence and determination. That's what I meant. Not athletics.

My final session with the at-home PT will be tomorrow. I wlll ask her all outstanding questions I have, including the peddler again. I will review with her the exercises I've been doing and see what I can do to make them more effective. I think she too mentioned ankle weights and I think I have a DUSTY box of them in the back of my closet.

I also enjoyed your description of your first PT setting up the obstacles in your living room. You will be served well by them when you are really out and about on the streets. Especially with those 6,000 bike share idiots. (Sorry, they are not idiots. But the idea that a bike share program will run smoothly in New York City is idiotic. New Yorkers, and I love 'em, do not follow rules. It will be like the stairs in the subway: everyone going every which way.
 
Peaches. Nice image of grabbers on cords around our necks-very trip-able. The tingling starts shortly after I get in bed and put the pillow between my legs. The PT thinks a nerve is being compressed. I have no clue-just want Io stop so I can sleep some.
My boss used to have a peddler. On the bike at PT I had to be up very high or I would have broken precautions. Very difficult to climb up. This PT assigns much less than the home PT, so far.
How do you mange to turn on your side with two pillows between you legs? I haven't tried it. I used to sleep that way and extend my top leg off the top of the pillow. I think that would be bad right now.

Have you asked your PT about the lower back pain? There might be something you can do to help it.
I sprinkle Lavender oil on cotton and put it in my pillow case. Smells good but doesn't help.

Be careful climbing in the closet looking for the weights.
I think I am getting carpal tunnel from typing on the iPad all the time. Love BS and corresponding but may need hand surgery!
Good night.
 
The ankle weights are in the bottom of the closet. Enter: grabber.
I don't sleep with two pillows between my legs, just one. Folded in half. I just gently roll over onto my side, grasping onto the edge of the bed to control the movement. The pillow isn't necessarily "in position" at the time I gently roll over onto my side, I don't think. Or maybe it is. Frankly, many times I have lapsed for a few minutes and realized, "Oh, my god! The pillow isn't in between my legs." Like I said, I still don't undestand this rule.
Sometimes I wonder if (not seriously, but my imagination goes wild sometimes) some sadistic, frustrated physican's assistant made up random "restrictions" and made up research to support them and over time no one questioned them and they became conventional wisdom. It's getting late. Good night (maybe; I might not be finished). I do hope you get more zzzzzzzz's (and less tingles) tonight.
 
Peaches. Hah! The wicked PA theory - a medical mystery. Leg tingling-hand hurting. Time to prowl the apt. Goodnight!
 
sharonslp. What you describe sounds like what I have. Right now my leg is on fire and I noticed it when I stopped the Vicodin at the beginning of week three. I take one before PT. it never happens when I walk or sit, only lying down. The PT thinks I am compressing a nerve. Will ask OS about it Monday and will look up your suggested possible diagnosis.

We just completed and discussed Jill Bolte Taylor's "A Stroke of Insight." Amazing book and woman. She gave a TEd talk that prompted the book-18 minutes long and worth watching. (TED.com)

I'm getting repetitive hand pain from typing all day so will say goodnight. Hope you like the book. Last one was "Keeping Hope Alive," about a female doctor in Somalia.
 
Peaches ByGosh zauberflöte Songlady TeeEm. Littlejem Liveringer Upstater Mamarey and anyone I've forgotten

I need shoe/sneaker advice. I have a wide foot, size 10 and usually wear New Balance sneakers for walks and exercise, and Birkenstocks at home. I have suddenly developed tender feet. Since the surgery I feel like I'm getting an ingrown toenail and blisters under the toes on my non operated foot. When I wore Birks, I got a huge blister on my arch on the operated side. There seems to be something wrong with every pair I've tried on. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if I'm putting pressure on different spots.

Would appreciate suggestions on well padded shoes for wide feet. Many thanks.
 
sharonslp and LeeApril26...

Meralgia paraesthesia (Bernhardt-Roth syndrome) can be quite painful with symptoms such as abnormal tingling sensations, numbness, burning, itching, cold or heat and are triggered by physical evidence of cutaneous stimulation.

These symptoms may disappear and appear and even changes in posture can cause discomfort. Check the positions specific to you that may increase pressure on the nerve. It is most likely due to local compression of the nerve near the inguinal ligament lateral passing.

The nerve exits the psoas muscle, crosses the inguinal ligament, anterior superior iliac bypass spina and exits through the fascia lata. Meralgia paresthesia occurs most often through nerve compression in the pelvis.

Paresthesia resolves slowly over time but may persist nerve numbness in some situations in varying degrees of miles to severe. Conservative modalities such as application of ice, local heat and electrical stimulation can be used for pain relief. It can be confirmed by nerve conduction studies.

:)
 
LeeApril26 Its so hard to find comfortable shoes. I can think of a couple of UK/European brands that might be good for you, but not sure if you can get them in the US Ecco are really comfortable. I've got a pair of pumps by ecco and Ive worn them to death. They were expensive, but worth it. They are not particularly wide though. Others Hotter or Padders ?
 
LeeApril26 I found Hotters and they are wonderful and so soft and comfy, they go up to a UK size 9 and do a wide fitting. I too have been having real problems with my feet, well my toes actually, blisters and red scaly patches that the nurse couldn't work out. I wondered if it was athletes foot from wearing those awful compression socks full time but she said no but one particular spot just won't go away. I don't know what to do about it and the nurse suggested they might cancel my next surgery if I had an infection :yikes:
 
I don't know what to do about it and the nurse suggested they might cancel my next surgery if I had an infection :yikes:

Oh wow ! That would be awful. I had a similar thing 3 or 4 weeks post op ! 2 or 3 toes on each foot . I wondered if it was due to the sheets rubbing on toes because of sleeping on my back or the toes bending back or not being able to totally dry my feet properly One of my toes was so itchy, I held a sock in my grabber and rubbed and rubbed it on my toe so much it was totally black with bruising and was swollen for weeks. Its just gone back to normal now. I got some sudacreme, put some on a cotton wool ball held with my grabber and rubbed it on my toes and that sorted it out in a couple of days.
 
LeeApril26 Have you bought new shoes? It is important not to wear your worn shoe pre-op as they become molded to pre-op condition. Something that might help out on your feet muscles is a tennis ball while sitting roll your foot over the ball. I myself wear sketchers which I put a lift in my called walkfits. I have used walkfits for about 3 years. It has made a difference especially when standing on my feet for hours. I hope you find some relief soon.
 
Poppet. Thank you. This sounds like what happens to me as soon as I lie on my back with the pillow between my legs. It is starting to occur when I elevate them as well. We'll see what OS suggests tomorrow.
TeeEm I've heard of Ecco here. Will check it out-thanks. Don't know Hotters or Padders but will look online.
Littlejem. Are you allergic to the socks? Did you try a Benadryl cream? Hope it goes away. Hope they don't cancel you.
Liveringer. No, I haven't bought new shoes. Didn't know I should. That makes sense. I have lots of shoes but nothing feels right. Will try that as soon as I can. Haven't felt up to shops but will look online.
Thanks, everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom