Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches Songlady ByGosh. I loved that movie, and yes, the clothes. The only time I ever wore gauze pants they got caught on a nail above my hip and ripped down one entire side. I was mortified and had to borrow a friend's sweatshirt to hide my undies. so love the look but never for pants! Since I'm fairly tall there was an awful lot of leg out there. UGH! Judi Dench always looks lovely and appropriate. I used to watch As Time Goes By and long to know how to dress like that. Her budget probably helped, too. Have heard that Quartet is excellent. Hope to see it.
byGosh, I think every other day might be a good idea for both of us, but when it comes to pools the lure of the water is so strong. I know if I go to the country I will want to go every day.

I have heard of Red-box but haven't seen one here. I mostly use streaming Netflix, so I have a long wait. Sometimes I do Movies on Demand, if I really want to see a film.

So, I have joined the lower back pain club. Apparently doing IKEA and Home Depot on the same day was not a good idea. Icing.
 
Mamarey. I had hip pain last night after sitting in a restaurant on a pillow-topped chair for 90 minutes. Negotiating a parking lot, crowds and three hours at a graduation sounds unbearable.
 
Oh, goodness, LeeApril26! Sure, Home Depot AND IKEA!!! I haven't dared do IKEA yet. I've been to Lowe's.... Home depot's competitor I like HD better!)
The funny thing was that in the Lowe's parking lot, a gentleman with two canes raised one of them and challenged me to a duel!! :rotfl: Made my day by putting things into perspective!
I'm not making light of the back pain - my sympathies. I didn't do much today, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. I'll report.
We always loved As Time Goes By also!!
Loved your account of the ripped pants!
My son, Songboy, started a new job the week after my surgery. He's a salesperson at a music/instrument store. His uniform is jeans and a black shirt. He texted me partway through today's shift to say his jeans had ripped (again)....
When he got home tonight, it seem the rip was at the crotch seem in he front - (poor kid; he's 19....) I asked how he dealt, and he said he covered it with masking tape, put another stripe of tape below that, and also taped the other leg of the jeans so it looked like a design! :loll: I guess we're buying some more jeans in the next few days......
 
Songlady. darn, why didn't I think of tape? Song boy is very creative.
Like the dueling gentleman in the parking lot.
 
Peaches. Good luck tomorrow. What time is your appointment? I have X-rays at 1 .pm. and the OS at 1:45.
 
LeeApril26:
X-rays at 12:30; OS at 1:30--which really means 2:30 since I always have to wait an hour.
I will be wearing a white gardenia in my hair.... :)
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Fingers crossed both OSs tell us to DUMP THE TOILET THING.

On another note: I am so sorry to hear about the things you are putting up with; bad enough you've got that tingling. Didn't know about the foot problems. Hope your OS can shed light as to why and also let you know what you can do. Are you in touch with your regular doc about hip related stuff? (I ask because my doc just seems so uninterested and uninvolved in the whole hip saga; maybe because I didn't consult her first but instead just went straight to an OS on my own since my health ins. doesn't require me to get a referral from the PCP. I wouldn't go to her about anything related to my surgery, I don't think.) But anyway, I am so sorry about the shoe problem. I went through so many the past five years, trying to find the pair that would help with the hip. Ditto for insoles. I almost wasted money on the Dr. Scholls Lower Back Pain insoles ... tell I read horrible reviews about them. Anyway, I looked at the few pairs I feel I can now wear, and they all come in wide sizes. I wear a size B, which I think is considered wide. For what it is worth, here they are:

--EasySpirit Travel Time Slides.

They have enough of a back to not feel like your heels are going to slide out.
I wore them kind of as house slippers, but they are definitely outside shoes; they had more support than flip-flops
or flat house shoes.

--Munro Journey; these are Mary Janes with a sole that is kind of like an

athletic shoe but not too bulky. This is the closest I can come to sandals for
the office. Actually, these have been my "dressy shoes" the past few years
since I cannot cannot (someday will I get to say "could not could"?) wear
anything with a heel or girlie.

--The sneakers that I wear so much they are like Charlie Brown's blanket to me at Saucony Jazz Low Rise.
I tossed out the pre-op ones because the soles were worn out in such an odd, pronounced way that I was
scared my gait would be off. (The soles for the shoes I mentioned earlier are not worn in an odd way; I hope
this means I can still wear them. I mentioned already my drunken-sailor spending for all things HIP)'

I think the shoes the others have mentioned sound really promising, too. I am tempted to check them out.

On your way out of town to your friends' house with the pool, will you be passing any shoe outlets? They might
have a really big selection. Oh, that reminds me: An online place I've found that has good prices is zbsports. com. Not as comprehensive as Zappos, though.

And now lower back pain? I'm so sorry. I have had (temporary) luck with a heating pad; then, strangely, an ice bag. Lately for me it has not been too bad. NO CLUE why. I have taken Josephine's advice about taking 2 extra-strength Advil at a time, rather than one, which is what I had been doing. I wonder if that is a factor? It's like grasping at straws. I'm just glad your checkup is tomorrow so you hopefully can get some answers!

Good luck!
 
Peaches. Are you also going to HSS? If I can't dump that toilet riser you will hear me moaning in the halls!

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. The sore feet are discouraging but I know I will figure it out once I get some new shoes/sneakers. I think we pass some sports stores on the way on Tuesday and I will look then. I wear a C width, and those are hard to find at outlets, especially sneakers. I will check the website you mentioned. and, I am hoping the lower back pain is just a result of overdoing it today. The tingling is really irritating, so that's on the top of my list.

My primary care doctor is really helpful, and if I called him and went in, he would advise. He helped me decide on a hospital and surgeon. Don't know about the shoe issue, though I think trial and error, which could be expensive. I have a list of shoe suggestions and I am going to annoy the heck out of some poor salesperson until I can find something that doesn't hurt.

My home PT went nuts when she saw me wearing slides, but I have never felt uneasy about walking out of them-have you? I have Easy Spirit on my list.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
 
All this talk about purple Keens, I'm going to have to have a look at them, I have a bit of a fetish about shoes and my husband is always complaining I buy far too many. It's funny that we've been talking about shoes not fitting the same after surgery, my friend who has had both her hips replaced, last one about 2 years ago and she warned me I would have to buy new shoes! I thought she was joking but what a brilliant excuse to give my husband, 'sorry darling but I'm going to HAVE to buy all new shoes for medical reasons', love it!!! :egypdance:
 
Peaches, ByGosh Songlady Mamarey zauberflöte Littlejem Elosarabrab Liveringer Kim22 and any BS friends who visit
Just returned from my 5 1/2 week appointment with my OS. All precautions are lifted-yipee! No more dopey pillow and dreadful toilet seat. I return in six weeks, but in the meantime can swim (no breast stroke). I promptly put on my own shoes and slacks, and sat in a normal chair. I asked about ocean swimming, and that is a no no for another three months, as being knocked down by a wave is a bad idea. Pedicures are fine.
The only surprise was his look of dismay at my sandals. I explained my shoe problems, and he had never heard of having to buy new shoes, but did say I had tender feet, and should not be wearing open shoes with no socks. If I do, I have to be very cautious about any cuts, blisters and nicks in my skin. Has anyone else been told not to wear sandals?
I am pretty happy to be heading back towards normal, and will try to resist overdoing things. I hope I'm learning. As always, thanks to my BS friends for support, advice and encouragement.
 
LeeApril26 Hi Lenora,you must be so glad to be restriction free and great news that you can start swimming.I have been swimming today for the first time and loved it.I took it easy and used a float between my legs for half of the lengths, did my exercises in the water and walked forwards, backwards and sidewards I spent 10 minutes in the sauna before I started to swim to warm the muscles and had a jacuzzi and steam bath afterwards.I felt so relaxed afterwards and just hope the muscles don't madly object tomorrow.
Does your surgeon mean that you should never wear sandals ever again ?
 
Peaches, ByGosh Songlady Mamarey zauberflöte Littlejem Elosarabrab Liveringer Kim22
gotta love this copy/paste of many tags thing...
Lenore, yipeeeeeeee! But really, you've been wearing somebody else's shoes and slacks?? No!
Don't go crazy shoe shopping on the way to the country.... You know, I wonder if Zappos would deliver to your door? I discovered a few months ago, when I ordered 6 pair of slippers to buy one pair, that spending all that moolah gets you an upgrade to VIP.Zappos! Even though I returned 5/6 of them, the original purchase stuck out I guess. So I think I get free 2-day shipping now, which certainly makes me want to go and see if they have a pair of Keen ballet flats I saw when googling purple Keens.. I will see the PA Wed-- wonder what he'll say about my Keen slides??
Sheesh I just lost a Dame Judi essay LOL. Anyway, I like gauze, and have moved to linen in those kind of cuts-- loose and flowing. Too bad linen is not good in humidity-- just plain too hot unless very short sleeves and no collar.
Kim22 that swim you had sounds just wonderful. All the preliminaries and afters, wow. Is this at a health club? We have a YMCA just down the road from us, and they have a therapy pool, which may be my best bet for pool walking.
I will be watching all pools to see who I may know in them.... LOL
 
LeeApril26 Congratulations on having your restrictions lifted! You must feel quite 'freed up'. It's interesting about the sandals, but if we have to be careful about nicks and such, it does make sense. And you can swim again. How great will that be? Have a lovely time on your well-deserved get-a-way and good luck with your shoe shopping.
 
Songlady Thank you so much for your inspiring post! I really need it, as I'm still feeling pretty discouraged today. I guess it was too much, being in the pool for a few days in a row. So not today! I am having a darned time with this, trying to figure out how much is too much. I was going very easy at the pool, and not kicking my legs or anything. I did do a little more water walking yesterday. I guess I just have to stay at one level and do that for awhile, every other day, and see.
You're son was very clever with his rip yesterday! :heehee: I guess he had to be. We used to use scotch tape to put up the hems on our skirts if they started to come down at school. And clear nail polish on our nylon stocking runs. Now we're going back a few years! Those were the days when we had to wear skirts to school.

LeeApril26 I've been watching documentaries lately on Netflix. They have some good ones. I watched The Flat last night til 1am (yes, way too late) and it was very interesting and highly praised overseas. I won't bore anyone with the details, but it was good. I feel a bit less like I'm languishing here if I can keep myself occupied while I learn something, as I'm not really out and about quite yet. My brain and my muscles will be turning to mush soon.

Kim22 That pool felt great, didn't it? I'm so glad that you went, and were able to use the sauna, jacuzzi and steam bath. Quite the luxury for you, I'm sure.:) What a nice pool to have so many other things that you can take advantage of, too. I don't think your muscles should protest one bit. They're probably happy and relaxed, too, just like you are.

zauberflöte Speaking of Zappos...I ordered my daughter a pair of Moon Boots from them this past winter after our big blizzard, Nemo. We had 40" of snow, and when I opened the back door to let the dogs out, they ran and stopped dead in their tracks because there was a wall of snow in the way, just like a cartoon. So, anyway, make a long story short (yes, please, you're saying - why is she talking about snow lately- yesterday it was snow tires, today blizzards!) I was telling the Zappos salesgirl all about it, and she was in Las Vegas, had never seen snow in her life, took pity on me, and upgraded me to VIP, too. That also means when you call, you're automatically put to the front of the call line, so you don't have to wait for long. Of course, I hardly ever order from them....but still, it was nice of her.
 
Liveringer They sure do! They're pretty neat, too. You should google them, all different colors, very futuristic looking. Just like walking on the moon. Hmmmm, guess that's where they got the name from....:heehee:
Did you have a pair?
 
Peaches, ByGosh Songlady Mamarey zauberflöte Littlejem Elosarabrab Liveringer Kim22@LeeApril26@Liveringer
Congrats, Lenora, on getting your restrictions lifted!! I bet the sandal comment was about concern for you getting a wound and bacteria getting into your system, and I'd think he wouldn't worry as time goes on. I mean, I am usually pretty cautious about when to wear sandals anyway - like not in crowds, etc where my feet might get trampled.
Peaches, I love those Easy Spirit Travel Slides - I just googled them to see them! There's an Easy Spirit at an outlet about 35 miles from me. Hmmm......
ByGosh, yeah, the ups and downs.... I again had a nasty back spasm this morning.... from Saturday?! What?! I can't figure. Sigh....
zauberflöte, wow, I want to go order a dozen pairs of shoes....! lol We have ordered from Zappos, and we have returned some, and it's pretty easy. Nice. I have such difficult feet, I kinda need to try shoes on..... but once I know what I can buy, I could order from there!
 
Kim22. Yes, he thinks THR patients should be wearing socks and shoes, to avoid risk of cuts, blisters and infection. I would be curious to know if other doctors have said this. Can't imagine not wearing sandals, though as Songlady said I certainly will avoid going into crowds or the woods.
 
CONGRATULATIONS, LeeApril26!
Hi, Lenora--I'm so happy to hear you can dive right in--and while you are at the ocean's edge, you should push that toilet thing out into the water and watch it bob and weave and hopefully (but not likely) sink its stinky self to the ocean floor. You must be so happy! Now are you leaving tomorrow for your visit to the country to your friends' home and pool? If so, I hope you have a wonderful time. I'm sure tonight you might sleep a litttle better now than the restrictions are gone and you can hurl that blasted pillow from between your legs out into the cosmos. Roll onto your side! And, as @zauberflote said, whose clothes and shoes were you wearing to the doc's office before you changed into "yours"? Oh, wait a minute! I get it! You meant you put back on your shoes and slacks after the exam all by yourself--with no aides? Right? Funny, because my orhopedic elastic shoelace on my shoe became untied while walking into the doc's office building and I had to endure that the whole time until I got undressed for the X-ray since I didn't think I'd be allowed--or able--to bend over and tie it.

Really happy for your good report. And I guess you are soon pedicure-bound?

Maybe I should post my report on my own thread?

Today has been a little stressful (all work related, I'm sorry to say), so I'm a little fried.

Oh, but about those slides (which Songlady apparently is familiar with): If you or anyone buys them, get them in a bigger size and/or be aware that they are kind of snug. I wore them most of yesterday and then last night noticed both feet were quite swollen. I remembered that's what happens with those slides when I wear them on a hot day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom