TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MRI on my ankle shows I have trashed, thrashed a couple of tendons. One is frayed and not firing (think that one was the Peroneus Longus) and the other is stretched. It hurts. Was given odds of 50/50 for surgery.

Plus, I'm sick and feeling awful, I am running a temperature, coughing, my ears hurt, am sweaty hot and have a sore throat. Sniff sniff. (Where are bottomshollow's icons when you need them.)

Guess I better get to bed and take care of myself!
 
Awww, (((((hugs))))) I hope that you sleep and are feeling better soon. When will they tell you if you need surgery? Or are they saying that you should get surgery? and the recovery is only 50/50? :yikes:
 
Hang in there, Elisea! Here's hoping the tendons will heal with rest and therapy. Ankles can be so frustrating, since they bear more weight than knees or even tibias. Sprained both of mine a gazillion times since I was a teen, and each time I feel one or the other "pang" sharply I too worry whether it's about to give way for good. A soft tissue injury hurts long after a fracture would have healed; but surgical reconstruction, when followed by good PT, has a very high rate of complete recovery, more so than fracture fixation. Pulling (no pun intended) for you!
 
Elisea, I broke my ankle many years ago and wore a boot for two months. It did not affect my gait in any way--in fact it helped because i was not longer limping. I did get a pair of Doc martens for the other foot, since the boot was higher than my other foot. But, with careful shoe choices, I think the boot will help your ankle heal.

It is demoralizing to be sick and hurt----sometimes it seems like everything happens at once. I had one horrible summer when I had a carpel tunnel repair and then knee surgery. Could only use weird crutches to rest my hand--ended up falling down the stairs in my house and tearing my rotator cuff--ended up in a wheeled chair!!! Yikes.

But, we do survive and somehow the rest of the summers have been okay!! Kelly
 
When will they tell you if you need surgery? Or are they saying that you should get surgery? and the recovery is only 50/50?

50/50 chance that I'll need surgery, but he is saying that surgery would be the choice to fix it permanently. Right now I'm trying to get the swelling down in the tendons and see if it still hurts and can heal at all.

And my throat feels so scratchy and very sore; I'm trying not to cough...... I hate being sick!
 
Ankles can be so frustrating, ............ A soft tissue injury hurts long after a fracture would have healed; but surgical reconstruction, when followed by good PT, has a very high rate of complete recovery, more so than fracture fixation. Pulling (no pun intended) for you!
Thanks Dulcimer.
Did yours heal on their own and recovery permanently or did you go the surgical route?
 
Elisea, I broke my ankle many years ago and wore a boot for two months. ...with careful shoe choices, I think the boot will help your ankle heal.

It is demoralizing to be sick and hurt----sometimes it seems like everything happens at once. I had one horrible summer when I had a carpel tunnel repair and then knee surgery. Could only use weird crutches to rest my hand--ended up falling down the stairs in my house and tearing my rotator cuff--ended up in a wheeled chair!!! Yikes.

Yes, I was given the boot to wear, for the next few weeks, a huge cumbersome thing. Not sure I will be able to for any length of time, it is uncomfortable to wear and I get nowhere fast.

I thought about going to the store today and buying shoes, so I'd have one to wear on the right foot. But think I'm too sick to be out and about.


[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
 
I hope the boot will help it heal and you won't need surgery.
 
My ankles are okay except when they aren't. Every now & then (mostly if I'm carrying something heavy) one or the other will get a sudden very sharp pain and feel as if it's about to give way....but then it doesn't. I've sprained both anterior talofibular ligaments more times than I can remember, but never totally ruptured them the way I did my left ACL. Years ago, when I lived across the street from the U. of Wash. hospital, I had their sports medicine clinic tape the rt. one a couple of times a week until it was stable on its own. (The tape lasted through several showers). I do notice that both ankles swell considerably by the end of the day, but unlike after my RTKR, the calves and feet do not.

3 years ago I suffered a left 5th-metatarsal stress fracture on top of cuboid syndrome (that pesky hypermobile foot). It wasn't anything sudden, just cumulative long walks in Crocs (comfy for cooking or gardening but very little support or motion control, and the rubber soles can stick and make you move forward while your foot goes nowhere). My OS & podiatrist put me in a cast-boot for a month, and then I got orthotics. The cast-boot was fine and didn't really affect my gait because it had a rocker sole. Unfortunately, I'm between sizes and the M was too long and the S too small. We solved that with a semi-rigid OTC orthotic in the S extending far enough to support my toes without an abrupt hard edge. You really should have no problem with the boot, especially if you can wear a shoe with a similar sole profile and height on your other foot. (MBT or NB for casual and if you can afford it, Finn Comfort "Finnamic" for business or dress wear. For formal wear, just wear a normal shoe and milk that cast boot and its sympathy angle for all it's worth).
 
Elisea - feel better soon. I hate being sick too. I only seriously injured my ankle once. It was so black and blue and swollen we thought it might be broken but it was just an extremely bad sprain. It took forever to heal! Since you're sick enough you don't feel you should be out I imagine you're resting it while you get over your bug. I hope that you'll see improvement as a result. Take care and keep us posted. :friends:
 
Elisea, I edited your post with the pic of the walking boot. The pic you uploaded had the copyright showing across it. We are not allowed to use those on the forum. I, too, have had to take down a couple of images for that reason. I put up another image which I think is pretty much the same in its place.
 
bottomshollow
I noticed the "stock photo" on it after I read another post you wrote along the same lines. I didn't notice it right away and do know better but I was sooooo sick when I chose it. Sorry.

I knew I'd made a bad decision to go to work today, when after arriving this morning, decided after a couple of hours to return home and everyone thanked me.

So I'm signing off now and going to bed!
Thanks for fixing the pic!
 
Dr has me on antibiotics and bed rest and for once I'm not arguing.
Thank you for the good wishes!
 
Yeah! :SUNsmile:
Finally one of the antibiotics seems to be kicking in and I can almost pop my ears. I've been down for the count all of this time.

When I was at the Drs the other day they asked if they could bring in medical students to listen to my lungs. Said that they didn't get good training lungs into the office that often and mine were a good listen for Rales, I think it was.

Whatever I can do to contribute the advancement of a medical education. :loll:
 
OMG, I am sorry to hear that you had such 'good training lungs' for the medical students. Thankk goodness that your antibiotics are finally kicking in. Rest and get well soon! ((((hugs))))
 
Doing much better today.
Soooooo good when the corner is turned and I can see myself healthy again! :SUNsmile:
 
----sometimes it seems like everything happens at once. I had one horrible summer when I had a carpel tunnel repair and then knee surgery. Could only use weird crutches to rest my hand--ended up falling down the stairs in my house and tearing my rotator cuff--ended up in a wheeled chair!!! Yikes.

Wow, that must have been one crazy summer. Probably wasn't one inch of you that wasn't hurting!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom