Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to join you for bird watching from your location.

Well, I can spot the big birds, (no, not THE Big Bird) they're huge sitting on a limb and easy to locate. Smaller birds I'll watch on video or through photos. Hmmmmmmmm..... though, I do have hummingbirds that visit my yard.

Last summer when I was recuperating from my TKR, one hummingbird flew right up to my face and hovered there, eyeball to very small eye ball, what was an inordinate amount of time, then darted quickly away. Very cool. :)
 
When we lived on Kent Island, I longed to see an eagle nesting nearby. It would have put an immediate end to the huge development project that was trying to take over the island, a key migration stop for many ducks, geese and birds on the Atlantic coast. We'd sometime see huge cornfields become flooded with Canadian geese - nose to nose - as though they were cattle in a livestock yard, but they were free, but chose the cozy quarters. Eventually we won the battle against the huge developer without the help of an eagle. I sometimes get hummingbirds here, too.
 
hhilltop
That's great that your community cared enough to save the area from development. Do you see Eagles where you live now?
 
Kent Island is in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. It is the gateway to the rural side of Maryland, but just opposite Annapolis and an hour from DC. It really was very target able for big development. It was a long hard fought battle with polarities between the business community leaders and those who truly loved living with more open spaces. An eagle living there would have put an end to the whole deal. As I said earlier, it was eventually defeated, but it went on for years with big money trying to buy allegiances from key community components. It would have meant spending lots to build additional community infrastructure - mind you on an island where there were lots of inlets, bays and creeks there was little room to put in new roadways without adding expensive bridge networks. It already saw major navigational headaches every summer weekend when the whole state crosses over the island to get to the Atlantic beaches. Being part of that fight is one of my more proud endeavors. The playground in my picture is about a mile from the Bay Bridge.

Here I haven't actually seen any eagles, but I've heard they are around. There's plenty of open land around us here, too.
 
That was indeed a proud endeavor, very cool. If I see the eagle again in the tree, I'll take a picture. The trees are leafing out, though, so pretty soon the nest will be hidden from view. And it could be sitting on the nest. They are huge and beautiful to view. I think it is a male as it seems smaller, bald eagle females are the larger of the two.

The funny side is some friends who had a wooden bird stuck on a stick in the corner of their balcony outside. Well, apparently this bald eagle had been eyeing it, thinking it was a real bird. It swooped down, grabbed the wooden bird in its talons and flew off. :heehee:

My friends were able to get a photo of it just at the very moment it grabbed the bird; and the photo is now proudly displayed on the inside wall next to where the wooden bird was anchored. It's quite the conversation starter.
 
A few years ago we found a baby hawk in our paddock. Didn't seem injured but was definitely stunned. So my hubbie picked it up, with thick gloves on and brought it into our garage. We fed it milky weetabix and there it stayed overnight in a box with a blanket in it. Next morning hubbie picked it up out of the box, it sat on his arm while he walked outside to the paddock. Hubbie stood in the paddock, arm outstretched and still the hawk sat on his arm until he got his bearings and flew off, did a circle around us and then took off into the trees.
 
I have seen several hawks around here, but no young uns. Great story, Margaret.
 
We have quite a few hawks around here---and buzzards, too. Last September I counted over twenty of them in a tree we have in our back yard.

My daughter is a paralegal in law office on the 58th floor in the city. She showed me pictures of a peregrine falcon perched outside of her window!
 
When I sold my house my heart was so heavy because some doves had made their nests every year and had their families and I had lots of bires that were wonderful to open the windows and hearing them sing. Where I live now is right next to wet lands and I don't know the bird yet but the singing is wonderful. What a peaceful place to live. The hawks do come and get the snakes which is fun to watch. I hope to start taking some pictures and sharing them on this site. I know when I was visting Alaska, American Eagles were all over the skies. What a great state. I hope you all had a good weekend. take care. Tashia
 
I regularly cycle on a trail on the Ohio& Erie Canal Towpath---part of the US National Park System---here is a video of one of the many eagle's nests along the trail:
 
@Tim , Thank you so much for the site. They are great birds. Tashia
 
referee54
Yes, yes, that opening shot could be the same thing I see!!!!
Great video. Is that one you took?
Isn't it remarkable watching them fly!!
 
I know when I was visting Alaska, American Eagles were all over the skies. What a great state.

Oh, yes, I saw them too in Alaska. It was a boat ride....... think it was near Fairbanks, where they were hanging out near the river; huge birds. And the sea otters and those humongous sea lions gorging on any fish that dared to swim too close. It is an amazing state, teaming with wildlife.

You do need two good knees to get around there, though. They are a hardly group and with all of the outdoor adventures, it doesn't cater to disabilities. I was hobbling some when I was there; getting into and out of various modes of transportation was not my favorite but once I was situated it was beautiful.

How long ago did you visit? Was it during the warm month, August. Hmm.... well maybe the warm month is actually a warm first two weeks in August. :heehee:
 
I have a pair of hawks that land on my arbor to eat their meals. Eew!
 
Ok, saw the dr and stilllllllll have 3 more weeks of ankle healing. Hmmmmm I see a pattern here; lots of resting it. But the possibility of ankle surgery is way down. :ok: So that's a good thing.

And then I'll get orthotics to wear in my hiking and regular shoes which should help with not spraining it again. I hear that they are awful to get used to but are beneficial afterwards.

So glad it's doing better, but wow, I had no idea :what: tendons take so long to heal.
 
@Pumpkln @Lori-M
Thanks!

And I can start doing stairs the proper way again if I keep my ankle wrapped. :)


My knee hasn't been getting a work out at all because of babying my ankle. Now that I can do more, I'm sure my knee will start complaining........... loudly! :yes:
 
Yikes, I was a bit worried yesterday as my knee started aching something fierce.

It hasn't ached like that for ages and I couldn't get to sleep.

Today it doesn't ache at all. I haven't had too many weather related aches and pains but I guess I will attribute the aching and stiffness to the weather. Thought I'd be beyond that by now, though.
 
Yes, you have to build up your wear time gradually over several days with the orthotics, but I know mine have been very helpful.
 
Well, for the last few days, my gait has improved. Not doing the leaning aka limping when I walk. Figure that means my ankle must be getting better. Yes!

So I've been re-practicing walking again, swinging my arms, all the basics that I've forgotten. So far, my knee, both my knees, as well as the ankle, have been ok with it.

Hey, I may be in one piece and a-walkin' come summer, yes indeedy. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom