Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, I am sorry to hear that you had such 'good training lungs' for the medical students. ............ Rest and get well soon! ((((hugs))))

Thanks, BJ. I no longer sound like a barking seal all of the time so things are improving. Don't know what people did before antibiotics; they are such an important part of recovery!
 
Kind of between a rock and a hard spot. My ankle is a little better but not alot better. My PT has been keeping with the Podiatrist's orders to keep the treatment conservative. While it doesn't hurt as much, it still does hurt and the chance of repeated injury remains high. And my PT scared me by telling me that ankle injuries can become more severe if ignored; then proceeded to tell me about the awful recovery from ankle surgery.

See, what I'm finding is that my TKR right knee is losing ROM and it's a huge major concern. I've been trying not to bend my left ankle and to be gentle with it to promote healing. But that means the right TKR knee is not getting a full workout, plus I am limping again. It's so frustrating after working so hard to get to 135 ROM to be faced with going backwards.

Yet, with my left ankle not responding well, don't know what else I can do. I'm unable to have ankle surgery at this time, another year may be realistic, but I can't live forever with a brace on it. What I need is more time to heal from the TKR and for my ankle to cooperate; otherwise I can see myself stuck with a bent TKR leg from not keeping up with the exercises this first year.

Thought this was all behind me. I spent last summer recovering from a TKR and really would like to enjoy this summer; not worrying about my knees and ankles. Rock and a hard spot and not sure what to do. :sigh:
 
Hi, Elisea, I like the way you have created an easy link to your thread. I tried doing something similar, but what I did didn't work. I'm curious to know how you did it. I think it might be a good idea for everyone to use.

A friend showed me his ankle brace last summer. It was pretty light, but firm and was pretty easy to get in and out of. Hope you end up something similar.
 
hhilltop
You can cut and paste this to your signature.
hhilltop thread

Or copy the link you want to insert.
Type something, above I typed "hhilltop thread" then highlight it.
Click on the chain link icon above and insert link.
 
OMG
I am a walking (yes a pun) dr appt lately. If it's not one thing, it's another. But I am progressing.

After 3 weeks of antibiotics, they finally stopped wearing masks when I walked into the drs. office. Even though I was also wearing a mask before as well. :heehee: Now, no more. :thumb:

A visit to the foot dr today and he was pleased that the swelling is down. He said my odds of avoiding surgery before were 30/70 even though he told me 50/50; he hadn't wanted to discourage me. He said nooooowwwww I am at 50/50 and need to keep easy on it for another 3 weeks. :thumb: Be careful with stairs, no overdoing it and keep it supported with a soft lace up brace.

Babying my ankle has caused my TKR knee on the other side to be somewhat.... in a regressive state. I've started doing quad exercises again, strengthening my TKR again and working on ROM....

If I can only get to wearing some low but fancy heels soon, I'll be happy! :yes:
 
Great news about your ankle!:yay: So glad to hear about the improvement. And happy you're recovering from your illness! Take care and before you know it you'll be picking out those fancy shoes!:happydance:
 
:thud: you've really been through the mill lately, Elisea. Sounds like you're having some improvement though. (((Elisea)))
 
Yes, I am doing sooo much better this week now that the pneumonia/ bronchitis has cleared up, thank you! :SUNsmile:
 
Slowly but surely I've been improving on the partially torn ankle tendon. Cross fingers it isn't my imagination and that it is improving and won't need surgery. Two more weeks of babying it. Stairs are still one at a time so I don't bend the ankle tendon.... at all.... plus still ordered to keep it wrapped. The pain is down considerably, fantastic!

Bronchial pneumonia has passed, energy back up. So once I'm given the all clear, hiking boots are back on. I even saw a Bald Eagle next to the nest it returns to year after year so waiting for the Eaglets to start appearing on the branches.

While recovering from both the ankle and bronchial pneumonia, I managed to do some flexibility and strengthening stretches lying on my bed, clam shells, leg lifts, anything that didn't cause me to bend my ankle or exert myself. I chase the dreaded lack of ROM, so working on building the strength and flexibility back to pre-injury days, it's a never ending battle right now. Hopefully, will get there again.

 
I'd love to join you for bird watching from your location. Glad you're back to thinking about ROM exercises again. I have been up and about while you've been laying low, but despite my diligent efforts increase of ROM has been illusive. Four months I was stuck. Finally I started to show some slight gains. Please let me know when you see those eaglets.
 
hhilltop
The one exercise I hate with a passion but does so much for my ROM are squats. Did I mention my abhorrence of them? I don't even need to do the deep knee bends; just simple repetitive squats work for me. AGHHHH!!! Why couldn't it be an exercise that isn't squats that helps with my ROM. :scratch: :doh:
 
My PT's have liked squats, too. Gentle ones, though. I place my feet about a foot out in front of a smooth wall surface. Then I place my back on the wall and slowly slide down the wall as far as my knee will let me and then return up. I'd be nervous about doing squats without a wall. That is what I was doing when I tore my meniscus for the second time. I know there is nothing there to tear anymore, but I'd still be nervous.
 
Just catching up with your thread reading about your ankle sprain and torn tendons. I tore Peroneus Longus and Brevis (grade 2), on TKR leg, about 5 weeks after surgery. It took a long time for them to heal. I have a high arch and continue to wear a full length lateral wedge in my shoe to keep the foot from rolling to the outside, and stretching those tendons.
These injuries are a big set back. Sounds like you are doing everything right and will get there!
 
Pumpkln
Feeling the ankle hurting a bit tonight, I'll need to wrap it before bed; some nights just the covers on it can put pressure on it so I know it's a long road back.

The podiatrist said it was unusual to tear the Peroneus Longus, usually it was the one that is stretched rather than torn; glad to know that you had the same and have recovered from it. How long did it take you before you felt like it was truly better?

I am constantly fearing I will roll and sprain it again. Does the lateral wedge give you confidence that won't happen. And what is a lateral wedge exactly? Did you see a OS foot specialist or a podiatrist or someone else for the injury? Are you totally healed or are they suggesting surgery sometime in the future?

Lots of questions, I know.....:)
 
It seemed to take forever to heal, a change in weather still makes the foot feel funny. Seemed like at 9 months it was a lot better. I saw an OS foot specialist, he said if it did not get better, they would consider surgery to repair the tendon. The lateral wedge helps me with the rolling to the outside, I have an high arch (pes cavus foot) and tend to over supinate (go to the outside) on that foot. The lateral wedge helps me keep from rolling over. The lateral wedge can also keep you from stretching the tendons while they heal. Your podatrist is the best person to know if you will benefit, if you have an orthotic, it can be modified with lateral posts.
This is where I purchase full length lateral wedges https://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?ProductID=958. You need the podatrist to determine if you need a lateral wedge, some people only need a wedge in the heel and some like me need full length.
Yes, the wedge increases my confidence that I will not roll to the outside, and reinjure my ankle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom