Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACIM

Did your doctor say why he is having to have a revision? Could it be that he did too much too soon and thus didn't heal correctly? Let us know how much you get to tease him!
 
@Layla
@benne68
@EalingGran

Hi guys, have a little bit of an issue here. I went walking today and did a mile and a quarter which is the furthest I've walked. My TKR sometimes just gives out when it is fatigued. I've never had a joint do this before from my previous four surgeries. After the walk, I could barely walk. No pain, just couldn't put weight on the leg. I've walked just a mile several times and not had this experience. But the discomfort I felt was mainly beginning above the knee, that big muscle, I think it's the rectus femoris and then the discomfort rounded to the right side of my upper thigh, lloiti band? The leg the rest of the day. I guess I'm just a little frustrated at how slow the progress is.
I did have to have a hip REVISION about 4 years ago and it seems like I made more progress with that more quickly. I'm in real discomfort but not something I would qualify as real pain.
 
First of all, there is no way you can compare a knee recovery to a hip. Everything is different about the joints and the surgery. In fact, it’s impossible to compare two knees, even if they are done at the same time by the same surgeon. The truth is that every joint has its own recovery schedule. While you may feel that being almost 4 months out from surgery that things should be better than they are isn’t something your knee cares about. It’s on its own schedule and your job is to listen to the signals you’re getting (like this extreme muscle fatigue) and respond accordingly. I know it’s frustrating when you want to get back to your life. But patience is so very important. Try to push too fast and you’ll actually risk slowing your recovery.

Your response to this happening should be to stay at the 1 mile for a while longer. If you get this muscle fatigue again, let your body rest for a day or so to recover. Then try again. When you want to extend your walking, you might opt to do several shorter walks in a day. Or don’t increase by the level that you did this time. The muscle fatigue is cumulative, so it may have occurred because of other things you did that day before the walk….like running errands or household chores. Those all count, so don’t forget to be mindful of how much you’re really doing each day.
 
My TKR sometimes just gives out when it is fatigued.
Yes, it is the soft tissue (not the implant) that is "giving out" and that's a sign that you aren't fully healed yet.

In your pre-op thread, you told us: "I have put off surgery for 3 years even though I have been bone on bone for as long." Consider what that delay means for the muscles, ligaments and tendons.in your right leg. They've spent the last three years in a weird alignment favoring the bad knee. That's not going to resolve overnight. Everything needs time to relearn how to function now that your alignment has been corrected.

With my first knee in 2021 (which I had to delay because of COVID), it took 8 months for everything to "feel right" again.

Remember that you are still only even one-third of the way through this recovery. Give it more time. And, as Jamie advises, let your knee be in charge.

 
@Jamie
@EalingGran
How reassuring to hear from you both. I think sticking to a mile for a while is a good good idea. I will do so. And also, of significant importance but something that I forget, is that I have had this knee issue for 3 years and I want to thank you for reminding me of that. I've been so used to overcompensating for the knee and so used to using ligaments and muscles that I shouldn't have been had the knee been healthy.
It's just felt great to get communication from you. Logically I can tell myself some of these things but somehow it resonates more with me when you tell me, haha! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 
@benne68
Thank you too benne68. You are another one that always posts really great communication for me. I appreciate you so much.
 
That’s what we’re here for and we love knowing that our comments are helpful for you. I think we’re all like that….we need to hear the true story from someone else and not from our own brain.
 
@ACIM
My new knees both loved, and continue to love, walking more than anything else, yet my suggestion is actually to step back even more.
You don't say how often you walk a mile?

When I was increasing walking, or any activity I only did the maximum distance or time every 2 to 3 days. Muscles must recover, even when not postop, minimum of 24 hours.

When I overdid it, I cut back pretty radically for a while and then started increasing by very small increments once a week. I urge you to reduce your walk to 3/4 mile three times a week. Walk1/2 mile other days.

After a week, try a mile twice a week. If ok after a week increase to a mile three times a week. If doing ok, increase your other walks to 3/4 mile.
And so on...
That kind of schedule is more productive!
( Lest you think I' m a wimp, at my two year final ortho visit I was told to immediately greatly reduce my weekly 235# leg presses, 90# quad extensions, 90# hamstring curls or I risked wearing out my implants!)
 
@mendogal
Hi there. Nice to meet you. You sound like you are really on top of your post-op recovery.
My typical workout schedule, prior to surgery, was the gym three times a week and walking almost 2 miles, 2 days a week.
I started back to the gym about 3 weeks ago and am ecstatic over the fact that I am actually beginning to show a little bit of muscle tone again. And I've been walking a mile maybe two days a week and that has turned out fine as well. No repercussions. But I really like your advice and I think I will keep it at a mile two days a week. The gym is only elliptical machines and my body seems to really love doing them. I thank you again for your feedback and want you to know it is duly noted. By the way, what do you mean 235 leg presses? Ninety hamstring curls? That would have killed me BEFORE my surgery,, HA!
 
Nice to meet you too! The # after a number denotes pounds.
 
@Jamie
@benne68
@EalingGran
@sistersinhim
@mendogal
Got it! I don't know if I told you guys this before or not but were you feeling clumsy and unbalanced your fourth month into Post Op? I still am and find that if I don't walk enough during any given day, meaning if I don't do at least one half mile, I find myself sometimes falling a bit backwards or the knee surgery leg is turning outwards. I'm starting some very easy yoga balance poses but I wanted to get your feedback on it. I know you tell me patience patience patience and patience has been lacking in my modus operandi for most of my life, LOL! I worked two days in a row this week, 8 hours both days and I'm so exhausted I am going to sleep by 8:00 tonight. When I work I am sitting all the time and rarely get up to walk anywhere because my work requires a great deal of focus and the time simply goes by too quickly if I want to get projects done. But then when I get off of work I can barely feel my body because I've been sitting all day. I typically work 3 days a week, 6 hours a day so I won't be doing any more 8-hour days. Today is Wednesday and I do not go back to work until Monday which is really nice. Hope you all are having a blessed and wonderful day.
 
With the schedule you’re trying to work, what you’re experiencing is completely normal. You really need to try and get up at work for about 5 minutes every hour to do some walking. That would help a lot. Your body gets still and fatigued from sitting all day.
 
I agree and would add that for me even an hour was way too long to sit at that stage. Even three minutes of walking and light stretching every half hour would be so beneficial! Its not just fatigue; it's holding the quads in semi contracture for so long.
 
I will do my best to accomplish this. I work in a very strict environment but I really like the work and the pay. I will make a commitment to get up once every 30 minutes and do a little lap around the office. Well I'm at work, I also find myself going to the ladies room and into one of the Stalls and hanging upside down to get my back stretched out a little. Thank God it's 6 hours a day 3 days a week and that's it. Love you all for your help.
 
@ACIM …. I’m having a little trouble interpreting your post above. You are going into a bathroom stall and “hanging upside down”???? Like a bat???? :heehee: Whatever does this mean?
 
Hahaha...that Jamie, she's an amusing one. :wink:

Guessing you are meaning slowly / gently bending at the waist, head downwards toward the floor for a nice stretch? Like half bat position? :heehee: Hopefully it helps. Thankfully you seem have an accommodating boss as far as your work schedule goes. Enjoy your next three days off! :SUNsmile:
@ACIM
 
@Jamie Yes, Jamie does sound like she has a sense of humor.
@Layla - and that is exactly what I meant. I slowly stretch over with my hands touching the floor and hang upside down for about 30 seconds just to get the tightness out of my lower back.
Okay, so here's the deal. I went to work Tuesday and Wednesday and worked 8 hours each day to make up for not going to work on Monday. I typically work about 16 hours a week. The point is by Wednesday evening I was a total physical wreck, extremely tired and went to bed immediately around 7:00 p.m. got up early Thursday morning and went and worked out at the gym which felt really good while I was doing it. Had my usual day on Thursday but yesterday was totally unable to move I was so exhausted. It is now 6:15 a.m. on the East Coast and I got up at 5:00 a.m. this morning after sleeping 15 hours straight, starting yesterday at about 3:00 p.m.. evidently the two days of working 8 hours and the gym workout on Thursday completely did me in. I feel much more rested now but I'm still taking it easy today as I really would like to do a short half hour at the gym tomorrow morning. Come Monday, when I go back to work through Wednesday, at 6 hours a day, I'm generally not motivated to do much else. Sound wacky? I must say I also spent part of each day during my usual errands. Never felt so wiped out in my life, haha. Still pushing myself too hard but have learned a valuable lesson. Hugs to you all.
 
It sounds like you really overdid adding the gym after working those 8 hour days. Maybe next time you can take a day off after working. I found that worked for me. I'd do extra jobs at home one day, and then the next day just do my normal ADL. This worked well in my recovery. Remember, you are still very early in your recovery time, so you'll need to take it easy much more than you will have to next year this time.
 
That's a whole lot of sleep, ACIM! Major surgery is a stress on your body. Full body stress, not just your knee. Healing is ongoing for a full year, your body is still rebuilding. Energy drain is real, you know first hand. Good your taking cues from your body and resting / sleeping when you're able. Make sure to eat well, proteins help with healing and stay adequately hydrated.
Happy Saturday! Make it a great weekend. :SUNsmile:
@ACIM
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom