Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACIM

You’ll always be able to post in your recovery thread, @ACIM … it doesn’t matter if you are a member of the Insiders Club or not.

Please feel free to go ahead and post updates. I’m still working on the problem with the erroneous expiration dates. It appears to be a bug in one of the systems that has been identified.
 
@Jamie
Thanks so much Jamie. I'll keep an eye out.
 
Hi Jamie: Tuesday here. Really trying to reconcile the fact that I am not able to move the way I was before surgery. In that I mean total energy drain has continued, though better than it was. I'm not able to move as quickly as I did prior to surgery. I have some sort of strain, either nerve strain or muscle strain or a combination of both starting from the top inside of my TKR thigh which doesn't allow me to lie on my tummy and read without the inside of that tkr thigh hurting. I believe that is the nerve part of it. Then there's the huge muscle on top of the upper tkr thigh, I believe it's the quad but the discomfort with that stretches outward until it almost wraps around my leg and down the back of my knee. It's got me down. Going to see my PC in about a week and we'll check in with him first. He can probably do an x-ray. If he advises, I will go see my ortho but I would prefer not to have to if I don't. Can you give me an update on anything Tech wise? Thanks.
 
I believe what you are experiencing is all part of the normal healing process. You are not even halfway through the normal yearlong-plus recovery from this surgery. It sounds like your pain is coming from soft tissues only and a doubt an xray would show anything there. Let your doctor be your guide, but try not to worry, it sounds pretty normal to me.

As far an the energy drain goes, I had abdominal surgery the end of November and I still haven't snapped back with normal energy. I think as we age, the body takes longer to get back to its normal state. Again, let your doctor be your guide.
 
@ACIM……you haven’t posted in a while. How are you doing?
 
Hi all. I've been away for a few months but in back now, 6 months post- from tkr. Not entirely happy with my progress thus far but do feel myself getting stronger. Hope to hear back from you.
 
Good to hear from you but sorry to hear you are not totally happy. Just fill us in with all your positives and negatives -what you can do and any issues. Then it will be clearer if this is just what's to be expected at 6 months.
Recovery definitely can take up to a year and I even gained some movement and strength in my second year.
 
Thinking of you as I’m at 3 months and just had a blip this week.
Take care and we are all here for you.
 
Last edited:
Hi ACIM,
Good to hear from you. I am sorry you're not where you hoped or expected to be at six months post op, but more information as, EalingGran, requested will help us better advise. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here and let us know if you'd like your thread title updated to reflect your current concern.
@ACIM
 
@EalingGran
@Layla
@Legseleven
Hi everyone. Good to hear back from you all. I am getting my strength back and my energy. The knee is doing okay, but not great. The situation is that I am having, and have had for the past year or more, pretty intense pain going up the inside of my leg with the trk. Still limping slightly as I am not walking enough. When I am walking along the road, if the road is uneven at all, I have a little trouble with clumsiness and imbalance. I am able to walk up and down stairs with both feet now. This makes me feel good as my sister-in-law had a tkr about 4 months before I did and I've noticed that she cannot walk down the stairs with both like I can. She went through traditional PT but she also had the robotic surgery which I did not. The calf muscles on the back of my tkr leg are slowly stretching out but not to the degree I thought they would. Have been going to the gym twice a week and strength exercises are really hoping but I don't think I am stretching or walking enough. I have some concerns about my right hip as that was replaced in 2015 and I am hoping it's still good. I have had my GP take X-rays of both my tkr knee and my right hip just to make sure that everything looks okay. Waiting on results. If everything looks good I can only assume the pain coming up the inside of my right thigh is either muscle, ligaments or something other than the hip that is "off". Please keep in mind that my tkr and my hip "issues" are both on my right leg.
Looking forward to hearing back from you. Blessings.
 
Lots of good points in your post - your strength and energy, the stairs, the GP and X-rays. I’m sure the Bone Smarties will respond with their knowledge and experience soon.
Meanwhile have a good day. You’re not alone with this.
PS the state of the pavements and roads are shocking and we have to be so careful. I hope you take a stick or pair out with you?
 
Good Morning ACIM,
After you see what the x-ray reveals, you may, or may not, want to check in with your OS for some reassurance or advice. TKR recovery does take a full year, many noticing improvement into their second and third years post op. I will advise that you should be using an assistive device until you're no longer limping, if you're not already.

Can you explain what you mean by you are "not walking enough"? We may be able to offer more advice if you can share what a typical day looks like for you, as well as what your gym workouts consist of.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday.
@ACIM
 
am able to walk up and down stairs with both feet now. This makes me feel good as my sister-in-law had a tkr about 4 months before I did and I've noticed that she cannot walk down the stairs with both like I can
I found that the hardest thing and couldn't do it for many months. I had some ligament issues ( overstretched MCL) which made stairs painful for a long time.
If you can do that pain-free that seems pretty good to me.
You talk about having pretty intense pain on the inside of your leg though. What triggers that if anything? How far are you able to walk daily? Are you still icing regularly?
 
@EalingGran
@sistersinhim
@Layla
Hello all. Wow, lots of questions and I hope I can answer them in the context where they can be understood.
First, Layla. What I meant by not walking enough is that I've not disciplined myself to walk more. I wasn't walking much at first because it hurt but things got better. I work Monday Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. but I get up about 6:00 a.m. every morning. It's just that when I get home from work I don't want to go out and walk. Total lapse of discipline here. Also getting cold here in Pennsylvania, which tends to not motivate me to walk much. I love going to the gym and I do 10 to 12 elliptical machines at about three reps of 10 each. They have greatly strengthened my legs and my entire body. I am tired afterwards but tired and the best way.
OH! AND X-RAYS CAME BACK! DOCTOR SAID THEY LOOKED GOOD!
On my days off I end up cleaning, going to the gym, running errands, Etc. One thing I did notice was that I have slept a total of about 22 hours over the last 2 days. Today my legs felt stronger than ever, I'm convinced because of the amount of sleep that I had. I wasn't limping or anything like that. On the days that I work I sit at my computer for about 6 hours. Because my work is so detailed and deeply focused, as everyone else that works in the office has, no one really ever gets up from their chair to walk around. Very strict atmosphere but the perfect job for me in so many ways. I'm not using any assistive devices. But, since my doctor tells me all is well with the new knee replacement and the old hip replacement, 2015, I do have the option of getting an MRI as I'm not certain where the pain in my right leg is coming from now. It has to be ligaments, tendons or muscle. But it was bothering me long before I had the surgery. I'm blabbering on but want to think you and sisters, Ealing and Legs for your invaluable insight. Thoughts? Blessings, Diana
 
It sounds as though you are doing a lot with work and housework but not necessarily the best exercise for a recovering knee. I found sitting for long periods or standing to do housework really hard and they tended to make me sore. My knee liked to walk and then to rest with ice/ elevation.
If you have to sit for long periods at work- can you get a little under desk pedaller or some way to elevate and move your foot?
I had a rocking stool that I used when watching TV.
The suggestion about pes anserine pain is a good one. There are soft tissue causes of pain that can occur even in a well positioned knee replacement.
I have a very lax MCL- due to being very valgus for many years. There are specific exercises that can help for these issues but you need a really good physio to diagnose the problem. The wrong exercises can just aggravate things.
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with more information.
You are getting in a lot of exercise to make up for the time you are somewhat trapped in a seated position at work.
Some exercises you can do while sitting are glute squeezes to help blood flow, ankle pumps, quad sets, heel slides, seated leg lifts and glute squeezes. Also drink plenty of water and hopefully if you have to use the restroom more frequently because of it, you will get in some stretching / walking during those six hours at work.
Wonderful news on the x-ray! You're right that ligaments, muscle and tendons are still healing. Hopefully the pain eases given more time since you're only a little over six months post op. :fingersx: Have a great day!
@ACIM
 
@Layla
@Legseleven
@sistersinhim
@Jamie
Hello all, just a quick note to check in and say all is fine. Energy coming back and I can feel it because I can do more most everyday. And yes, I am being careful. Haha. The X-rays I had done on my right hip, replaced in 2015, and my right knee in April of this year, all look good. Dr.confirmed. I had a feeling that this pain in my right leg was muscular or ligament or tendons but I did not feel that it was bone so I was right about that. He suggested I get an MRI so we can deal with I believe to be nerve pain in the right leg. Of course, my co-payment on an MRI is $225 which really is so unfortunate for people on Medicare or a fixed income. I did get a brand new mattress delivered last weekend and it does seem to be helping. I hope all of you are well and I wanted to include Beanne in this text but completely forgot. I've been very busy and simply haven't had time to contact you guys. Blessings.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom