TKR ACIM

Your poor body! You obviously did push it to the max. Sometimes this is the way we learn to be more aware of the physical limits you may have while you’re recovering from major surgery. I hope you can work out a schedule that allows you more rest time in between work, gym, and daily errands and activities. It is perfectly appropriate to do nothing but work on those days. You need to just come right home and chill afterwards for a while until you are stronger.
 
To all. Except I cannot switch my work days to having every other day off. So I will just continue to work Monday Tuesday and Wednesday and then be off Thursday through sunday. It's the perfect schedule for me! I'm learning a lot from you guys. Wish I wasn't so hard headed, lol!
 
That schedule will work okay for you if you just do work on those days. It might take some planning to eliminate even any short errands or home chores, but that should be your only activity. Get ready, go to work, come home, and then rest and go to bed at a time where you can get plenty of sleep.
 
Hi all: okay, so I've been trying my best to work and only work on the 3 days I am scheduled. I must reluctantly admit that this energy drain was underestimated by me from the beginning. I am experiencing things now that I have never experienced after a surgery, like the energy drain lasting as long as it does, but it does get better and I do feel myself getting a little stronger. I slept again on Sunday for about 12 hours. I also have had some mild dizzy spells lasting for perhaps 30 to 45 seconds. Have an appointment with my doctor next week and will let him know about this. It could be my blood pressure medication it's too high. I worked yesterday and today at 6 hours per day and I work tomorrow for 6 hours. Then off on thursday, friday, saturday, and Sunday. I am able to stay up more hours than I was before. Still tightness in the tkr calf of my leg but I'm not too concerned about that. Hope you all are doing well, I genuinely mean to post more often but then that's just one more little blessing that I've chosen not to do because I get tired. Not happy, but I am content. Hugs and kisses. Diana
 
Be sure you are drinking enough water to stay adequately hydrated. Dehydration can cause you to feel dizzy. You are pushing yourself to the max, which you really shouldn’t be doing. I’m glad you realize the impact of energy drain from this surgery that can happen. But it’s not something you can push through. Your body is trying to devote its energy to healing and it will do that first. Anything left over goes toward your daily activities. I’m concerned about you. Is it at all possible to drop back to fewer hours or days?
 
Agree with @Jamie - the needs of your cellular metabolism for fluid, nutrition, and rest right now can't be opposed.
 
I genuinely mean to post more often but then that's just one more little blessing that I've chosen not to do because I get tired.
Please don't worry about how often you post! You should be prioritizing rest over being on the forum.

But know that we are here when you need us!!!
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday ACIM,
While energy drain is real post op as your body works to regenerate bone, muscle and soft tissue, I am wondering if you've spoken with your PCP to see if there's a possibility of being overly sedated / medicated and that's a cause for the extreme fatigue? If that's not a possibility, do you feel you may be overdoing it with any activity aside from the days you work? Thankfully after today you have the next several days off. Hopefully you're able to mete out activity so you're not overdoing it and still enjoy your time away from the office.

Thanks for checking in and no worries about timing of updates, do what works for you, we'll be here! :wink: Let us know how your appointment with the doctor goes next week. Best Wishes!
@ACIM
 
You guys are so awesome, with me every step of the way. Yes, I do think part of the energy drain is from being dehydrated. I also believe that maybe where the dizziness comes from. I am on a benzodiazepine but I don't think that's causing it although it may be making me feel more sluggish so I've cut back a little bit on the benzo. Didn't feel as sluggish today because I didn't take my usual dose of this medication.
Cannot work fewer hours as I've only been there since last December and already taken 6 weeks off because of the surgery. In fact, when I did go back after the surgery I was working 4 days a week. I suggested to them that I work only three and they agreed to that. Don't want to push it as I really need the money and I enjoy the work.
When I do talk about the energy drain I want you to know that I could be up doing errands for about an hour and then suddenly need to go down and sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Never have had to do that before. That's what I mean about energy drain. Up until about a week ago I was sleeping 12 hours a day. Now I only need about 9 to 10 hours which I think is a good thing. I go to see my primary care doctor next week. Get some blood work done although he's already done it 3 weeks ago and it was fine. Hugs and blessings to you guys.
 
When I do talk about the energy drain I want you to know that I could be up doing errands for about an hour and then suddenly need to go down and sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Yes! This is exactly the way it hits when we push beyond our body's store of energy. (Remember that our energy supply is NOT unlimited!) I likened it to when our daughter was a toddler and would be running, running, running until she suddenly collapsed from exhaustion and needed to nap.

dehydrated. I also believe that maybe where the dizziness comes from
I agree. I had this issue during my first recovery. I didn't realize I wasn't drinking enough until I would get dizzy; learned that when you are dehydrated, your blood pressure drops and that can cause sudden dizziness and fatigue.

Glad you are seeing your primary care doctor to check it out, though!
 
@EalingGran - thanks Ealing...
Had a rough couple of days. Took my kitty in to the vet because he is sick and he is 15 years old. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with heart failure and pancreatitis. The vet does have him on several medications and as of today he is starting to feel a lot better. I can't do this. I can't deal with the thought of letting him go. I researched some articles but they do state that some cats will live a few months and others will go on for a few more years. Please pray for my baby. He is my soulmate. I have stayed in bed the last couple of days which I'm sure you love hearing, lol. But I just did not want to be away from him for one moment. This morning I will be hitting the gym but taking the rest of the day easy. Meow.
 
I know how you feel about your baby. My oldest cat lived to be 21. She had to be put down about 5 years ago and I still miss her. I have been a cat rescuer most of my adult life. When I had my TKR, I had 13 of those babies to take care of. Talk about natural PT! My neighbor came over the first couple of weeks and cleaned out the litter boxes for me. After that, I was on my own. I bought a long-handled litter scooper that helped with the cleanup. It just goes to show you how much pets can help us with our recovery. They need us, and we need them!
 
@sistersinhim
Thank you for your feedback. He is doing much better because of the medication. I believe it's just a matter of time now. Would love to have him around until he's 21 just like your kitty. Because he is doing better I am able to focus again on my knee. Don't know what else to say. Kind of empty right now.
 
@eaglemom
@EalingGran
@Jamie
@benne68
@sistersinhim

I just wanted to give a shout out and say hi to everyone. I love the responses and the "likes" that I'm getting on my thread.
I think I mentioned a muscle, a large muscle going up the right side of my thigh on the tkr knee, that's been bothering me. It's very tight. I asked my doctor for some muscle relaxers because between the tightness of this muscle and the fact that I'm sitting 6 hours a day, bad me, the muscle just isn't getting stretched enough.
Add that to the fact that when I am home I'm pretty much spending every minute with my kitty. Possible congestive heart failure. He'll have to get his blood work done again in about 3 weeks to see if the medications are helping. Did I tell you that my vet bill was $800? I think I would sell my car at this point if I thought it could keep him around another 5 years. I realize that a 15-year-old Kitty is about equal to a 100-year-old person.
Anyhow, tomorrow is my last day of the work week until next Monday. I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of rest other than the errands I have to run. Love you all, Diana
 
Hi ACIM,
I am sorry to read the news about your beloved fur baby. Thankfully the medication has helped him feel better.
Enjoy your time off work after tomorrow, Take it easy and get lots of kitty snuggles in.
@ACIM
 
think I mentioned a muscle, a large muscle going up the right side of my thigh on the tkr knee, that's been bothering me. It's very tight. I asked my doctor for some muscle relaxers
I don't think muscle relaxants really work like that on specific muscles. They are centrally acting on the brain and reduce general muscle tone and spasms. They are used in conditions like MS- not for single tight muscles. They can also cause excessive sedation.
Gentle stretches/ massage and heat ( but well away from your incision) can help tight muscles.
So sorry what you are going through with your cat. Vets are really expensive here in the UK too and the insurance becomes impossibly expensive once they get old and start getting sick. It's tough.
 
I agree that the muscle relaxants won't be any help for your tightness. I found rolling a rolling pin over the areas helped to stretch these out if I couldn't walk enough to help them.

I'm praying your kitty's meds are working, and you can keep him around for many more years.
 
found rolling a rolling pin over the areas helped to stretch these out
I agree that this a good idea. Self massage with a spiky ball is also helpful. They come in different harnesses. You want one that is not too hard that it's painful but not so soft that it doesn't do anything.
 
a large muscle going up the right side of my thigh on the tkr knee
Sounds like the IT band. I've had issues with mine being tight after each of my surgeries. I found daily self-massage really helpful.

To Sister's and EalingGran's suggestions, it would add that if you have a handheld massager, setting it on low and running it slowly up and down that muscle can really help. I use my mini-massage gun in the morning before I go for my walk and it makes a big difference.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom