TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

@Needhope I’ve just finished reading your posts. You’ve had an incredibly rough journey and I’m glad to see you’re hanging in there. I have had a revision and an arthroscopy to remove adhesions and just five weeks ago another revision all on the same knee. Having had a revision I thought I knew what I was in for. I’d been through it before but not so. This last revision has shocked me to the core and the pain is excruciating. So I guess I’m saying you just don’t know what will happen.

While I too am struggling with the pain and trying to ward off depression I keep thinking at the end of all this hopefully I’ll have a knee that works with no pain. I hope you have a replacement in your left knee and your right continues to heal and grow stronger. I get that it’s difficult as mine is too but eventually we will come out smiling on the other side. I’ll keep following your thread as you recover and undergo perhaps another TKR on your left knee. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@shelli22 .... Your message has given me a well needed virtual hug. It means more to me than you can imagine. I sometimes think back how easy it was to put my to feet on the floor in the morning and start the day without having to think about it. I took it for granted. These are tough times right now and I’m doing the best I can to stay positive and motivated. It’s not easy. The most challenging thing I’ve ever been through in my life. I don’t want to feel sorry for myself because I know there are countless others worse off than myself. But my struggles are very real to me and it’s difficult to get others to understand the constant worry, fear, depression that I go through every minute of every day. Thank you from my heart to yours. I also hope for you to achieve your daily goals and some peace as you go through your bumpy journey. Hang in there friend. We can do this!

Good morning from Southern California. I was wondering how your knee is doing this year? Your sentiments reflected mine closely and I was wondering about your current progress?

@ColleenAda .... Good morning ☀️. I’m currently on hold until I see my surgeon on Tuesday to figure out what the next step will be for my left knee. My RTKR is getting better. This has taken a lot longer than the dr had initially said it would. He told me I would be up and living a normal life around 3 months. Boy was he wrong. If I do need another knee replacement on my left, at least I’ll know the real truth. I’ve been living the real truth. If he chooses no surgery, then I do not know how the heck I could return to work with a subluxing patella. Seriously, that’s just crazy. My rtkr still stiffens often. Especially after sitting for 10-15 minutes so I’m up and down often walking around to keep it moving. It’s exhausting. The entire process. I’m thankful my GP prescribed me antidepressants and anxiety meds. It’s helping me stay somewhat positive. I don’t have many friends and my family has their own life issues going on, so Bonesmart has become my extended family for support. Thank you for your inquiry. I wish you well during your recovery. Thank you friend.

Hi @Needhope! I just read through your whole thread. It definitely sounds like you had a rough time of it all. I am glad the meds are working from you GP because it sounded like the anxiety was getting the best of you. And because I have experience with my husband who also suffers from the anxiety & depression (combat PTSD) I would suggest you talk to your GP about staying on them until you finish with your other knee. I could just feel the panic coming off your post and if you are like me facing one problem at a time is best. It is good that your TKR knee is starting to feel better. My surgeon told me that leg lifts and peddling my exercise bike were things I could do for it. Peddling for the ROM and the leg lifts for keeping the quad muscle strong. My problem knees also started with dislocating kneecaps and found keeping the muscles strong worked well. As far as your income have you looked into Social Security Disability. If they do your other knee you may want to look into it because of the time this one took and with the other problems you may qualify for it short term. You might want to check other state programs..granted they are not quick fixes but might help in the long run. The healing is a daily thing and will get better. You do have a lot of support here :)

@PegGar16 .. You sure have been through a lot yourself. I do continue doing home exercises so my muscles don’t start going in reverse. It’s a waiting game. And yes, depression and anxiety can really add a monkey wrench into the whole process. I’ve researched SSD and it’s quite a process and fight to get approved. But it’s something I may ultimately have to consider. I appreciate your thoughts and support here on Bonesmart. This truly has been a lifeline for me during this. Thank you friend. Hugs.

@Needhope I am sorry you are having so much trouble. My right TKR was October 9, 2017 and my MUA was November 30, 2017. I felt isolated and alone, scared and so fearful. At one point, I had a reaction to medication and I was suicidal. That was scary. My family, friends and my faith in God have helped me tremendously. I have also relied on the members of BoneSmart. When I had a new pain, I turned to BoneSmart. I read numerous threads and did lots of searches. My left was done in 2010 and my records show that my right knee was bad then. Like you, my grandchild and the grandchild that is due imminently were the catalyst for me finally doing my right knee. I thought at 5 months I would be 100%. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. This is a marathon not a sprint.

I have a PT that is gentle and she has been doing deep muscle and tissue massages. I have IT Band and quad issues and still have stiffness. It is not as bad as it was a month ago and each day seems a little better. I use a recumbent bike and do stretching exercises and I also just started using a TENS machine. I use either an Ace bandage or Tubigrip on my right knee and have begun going out, actually went to church for the first time since my TKR.

Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to ask questions or vent on BoneSmart. The members are always willing to give advice and will listen.

@4quilts .... All the responses I’ve gotten recently have made me realize I am not alone. My anxiety though tends to get the best of me. I’m reluctant to venture out. I’m starting to trust my RTKR more every day, but my left knee continues to hold me back with fear. I tell myself all the time it’s a marathon, and as long as I can eventually cross the finish line, I will at that point have been successful. But until then, I live one day at a time, try to remain calm, hopeful, and pray often for Jesus to help me stay brave while I go through this very stressful time. Thank you, Bless you.

@Josephine ... I have a question. I’m pretty sure I’m asking the correct staff member. Considering I had a Tibial Tubercle Transfer in the late 1990’s, my screw is still in my tibia, and my surgeon decides he will do the LTKR, in your experience and knowledge through the years, how optimistic should I be with a favorable outcome? My surgeon has told me he’s done them before and presents it like it’s no big deal. From what I’ve researched, it could be a challenging surgery. I’m just trying to be informed and realistic. Thank you

How about posting that xray of yours in larger format so I can see what's there?

9A642EF5-1D4A-4664-AF5F-04BB83582D53.jpeg

Well I don't think that will cause much of a problem. And even if it is in the way, he should be able to remove it from within the TKR incision. anyway. But I think there should be enough room for the tibial implant there.
My surgeon has told me he’s done them before and presents it like it’s no big deal. From what I’ve researched, it could be a challenging surgery.
He's right and so have I done heaps of them before - as assistant, of course! - and it was no big deal. We've had many members come on here in great anxiety because their surgeon has said their replacement will be 'complex' or 'difficult' or will 'take longer than usual'. I tell them all and I am telling you, this will only be applicable to him! YOU won't know anything about it and it's most unlikely to impact on your recovery in anyway whatsoever. Okay?

Oh yes Josephine. You have helped relieve some of my anxiety. I never thought I’d be doing this again only 5 months after my RTKR, but, it is what it is. Tomorrow I will meet with him to find out what the plan is. I’m hoping the visit ends well. I will post with updated information. Thank you!

Please keep us posted, Needhope. Been reading your thread. Praying you have a favorable appointment tomorrow!! You have been through a lot! I hope your anxiety will be eased soon!!

@shelli22 yes I did. He really doesn’t want to do aanother tkr because of my age. I go for an MRI tomorrow and then back to his office on Tuesday to figure this out. My nerves are shot. We had a Nor’easter and panic when I look outside. I’m falling apart. I’m also slightly claustrophobic and am going by myself for MRI. Somehow I’ve got to muster up some bravery and do it. I’ve never been so scared in my life about my future. Is it possible to get PTSD from a TKR? Seems like since my right TKR I’ve become a bundle of nerves. Ugh. Wouldn’t wish this feeling on anyone. Ever.

I’m also slightly claustrophobic and am going by myself for MRI. Somehow I’ve got to muster up some bravery and do it.
I’m sorry that you are upset about so many things. :console2:

When you are at the MRI tell them how scared you are. They will be understanding. Ask for something to cover your eyes with so you can’t see anything, it is very helpful! One place put a washcloth over my eyes and the last place I went to actually had an eye mask, so it’s a common request. It really does help! What you imagine is easier to forget than something you actually see, especially if it upsets you.

Take some music with you to listen to during the procedure. My first time I took a CD of Kenny G, very relaxing music. The last place I went to their player was broken so I just had to take imagine soft music. If worse comes to worse reschedule with an open MRI.

You have a lot on your mind right now and bad weather on top of it all. :blackcloud: I share your Nor’Easter pain. I hope you can get to your MRI tomorrow because, well, the best way to get anywhere is one step at a time and that’s an important step. Get it done. Get it over with. Sigh with relief. Jockette’s suggestion about relaxing music and something over your eyes is a good one. I always just close my eyes (the view is boring anyway), but something over your eyes might work better for calming you.

If your left knee is giving you problems, it needs to be addressed. You can’t go on with a knee that keeps you from your job, or living your life. You aren’t too young because, well, among many other reasons, you already have a TKR on your right knee. Your surgeon has no argument there. :snork:

Hi Needhope. I can tell you about the MRI that I had when I tore my meniscus....I too tend to be claustrophobic! But it was nothing like I had imagined it to be. I was only in the 'machine' up to my knee so my upper torso was not in. it didn't take long at all...super easy! The office where I went lets you pick soothing music, the ceiling was a beautiful sky painting. I understand the PTSD too...when I tore my meniscus last summer I went into an emotional spiral, so frustrated with my joints in general. I was scared to death when surgeon said I needed another new knee. But!!!!! I did it and am now glad I did. I actually had more pain after my menisectomy/arthroscopy than I did my tkr. Might only be from the fact that I knew that the new knee was the ultimate solution?!? Hang in there...you can do this. Talk to the tech, they are understanding, they help people get through this and you are never alone! Hugs! Amy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back